Dress Rehearsal

We scattered to the dressing rooms and then reconvened in front of the rehearsal room with only two minutes to spare. My heart was in my throat and my hands shook with nerves.

"Okay guys," Tom said. I couldn't believe he was taking charge, but he was. He seemed strong and confident and sure. I guess he was used to it from being the oldest child in an undependable home. "I thought about it and this is what we need to do. Everyone needs to relax.""

"Relax? That's your advice?" Hardyn asked

"We all know the moves. Just do them and get through this and whatever happens happens."

"I think that's good advice," Grady said. He clapped his hand on Tom's shoulder. "Just do what you can do and stay calm."

"Exactly," Tom smiled.

Hardyn started to make another sarcastic remark but Bridge stopped him.

"You got a better idea?" Bridge asked.

"Okay boys," Kandee said, appearing out of nowhere once more. She consulted the watch on her wrist and then opened the door. "Time to go in."

"You know what they say," Ryder mumbled as we filed inside. "The worse the rehearsal, the better the performance."

"Then we're going to have one heck of a performance," Bridge said.

The light streaming through the doorway was glaring white, probably another gimmick of Mr. Kane's, but we walked into it, blind.

#

At first, their performances were mechanical. I waited near the doorway, feeling extremely awkward. We could barely see the shadows of the people watching us. Lights had been set up around the room and the ones on the ceiling had been turned on. The effect was blinding. I couldn't make out anyone watching us, even though I shaded my eyes and searched the rows of people.

The boys continued and as the music pounded overhead, they became less nervous and their dancing became more fluid. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was close enough that anyone not familiar with the routine wouldn't have too much to criticize.

I hesitated on the fringe, tapping my foot nervously. My muscles ached to be on the floor, dancing. I wanted to rid myself of the nervous energy coursing through my body. But I had to wait and it was killing me.

Finally, I heard my cue and I assembled with the others on the floor. The heat of the lights made me feel hot and dizzy and I could see even less in front of the spotlight then I could from my spot by the door.

The music swelled and it was time to move. I focused on a spot on the wall directly above the audience and I danced.

It felt like magic. Exciting and fresh. I moved along with the boys, representing the dancers who would be in the background. I caught Ryder's eye once and Tom's and they both transmitted the same feeling. We're together in this. Isn't it great?

As I completed the last spin, the music changed and I retreated back to the shadows. I didn't have a part in this song. I watched, appreciating the fact that I could catch my breath. I didn't know how the boys were doing it. And then the next song came on and I went back out on the floor.

Sweat streamed down my back and my muscles burned, but I kept going, concentrating only on myself and the moves I needed to complete as the pounding music reverberated through my skull.

And then it just clicked and I didn't have to think about it anymore.

The rest of the showcase ran smoothly. I felt alive with music and movement and I hoped against hope that the feeling would stay with me. Finally, the last song ended, the notes trailing off into silence, and then my nerves came back full force.

What were they going to say? What had they thought of us? The lights flickered and then went off and I almost fell. We were all disoriented by the sudden dimness and I grabbed Tom's arm to steady myself. Bridge grabbed my other elbow and together we faced the unseen spectators.

I waited for my eyes to adjust, wondering if Mom was there and what she had thought and if she was finally proud of us.

#

The silence was deafening. After the blasting music had died away, we stood and waited and the silence grew.

"Interesting," Mr. Kane's voice echoed through the room as the shadows retreated from the sudden glaring light, revealing him. He paused.

The room was full. I glanced over the spectators, barely recognizing anyone. Only the parents, including Mom, were familiar faces to me and I couldn't read their expressions. They, like us, were waiting to see what Mr. Kane's reaction would be. Everyone was focused completely on him.

He sighed, steepling his fingers. "It could be better." I swallowed hard at his words.

We all stood as we were, frozen in place, awaiting the final verdict.

"Sir? Should we move forward?" a thin man in a business suit asked him. He refused to look at us. Instead, he studied his notes, pen ready to draw a line through us. With a simple slash of ink, he could throw us away.

"They are moving forward, but I want to redo some tracks," Mr. Kane said in a low tone. The man dutifully took down notes. "Kids, this was, hands down, one of the worst rehearsals I have seen. You perform next week in front of thousands. Do not disappoint me or you will be sorry."

"You are dismissed." Kandee stood near the doorway, her hands clasped in front of her.

We filed out, stunned.

***** Ok, guys. What did you think?