Ransom

I finally made it to the food and filled my plate, watching as Grady and the boys continued taking photos. I felt kind of sorry for them, but not too sorry. I didn't mind chowing down on some awesome food in front of them, for instance.

Grady glared at me, but then Bridge leaned over and said something to him and Grady nodded, smiling.

Glancing around the party, I saw loads more people I didn't know then people I did. In fact, I basically only knew my mom, the boys, and their handlers. Every once in a while, I'd get that shock of recognition feeling only to realize that it was only because I had seen the person on television or in magazines. It was confusing.

And while some of those people were nice, most were a lot less pleasant in person. I saw one of my biggest crushes from a kid's show checking his teeth in the mirror as he smirked, smoothing his hair back, and a girl from a band I liked was extremely rude to the waiters while the other members stood nearby, watching and laughing. And those were the least disappointing things I saw that night.

At first, I'll admit, the party was exciting, but then the night wore on and it all got a bit....

Well, boring.

#

Mom, however, didn't think the party was boring at all. As the night progressed and my eyes got heavy with sleep, I couldn't think of anything other than my bed. From the expressions on the boys' faces, they felt the same way.

The members of Kiss Goodbye had been busy all night, taking photos on the red carpet, chatting with VIP's, and in between, hungrily eyeing the table. It was after midnight and the food covering the tables was running low when the boys finally escaped long enough to eat.

Their plates towering with food, they didn't even wait to get out of the line. They ate as they made their way down the length of the buffet, their eyes drooping with exhaustion. I yawned. Watching them made me tired and the endless drone of low conversation was putting me to sleep.

Then the door burst open and a figure staggered inside. At once, all conversation ceased. I stood, trying my best to get a good look at who had caused all the commotion, but it was hard to see.

"Where is he?" the person, a guy, said.

I climbed the stairs, gaining an eagle eyes' view. I knew who it was the minute I saw him, even with blonde hair. His eyes gave it away, the same striking blue color as his brother Ryder's.

Ransom Rhodes.

"Where is he?" Ransom repeated.

"Right here," Ryder said and he stepped forward.

A wide grin covered Ransom's face and he staggered forward. "I told you I would be here and I am." He spread his arms wide, still smiling.

"You are," Ryder said. He looked disappointed and I wondered why.

It soon became all too apparent.

"Ah, Mr. Kane," Ransom said as he stumbled forward. "Tell me. How much do you think you can make off my baby brother? Huh?"

Mr. Kane glared at him, his expression tight and angry. "Ransom. I don't believe we've met."

"Not officially, but I know who you are," Ransom laughed bitterly. "You," he poked Mr. Kane in the chest, "are just like all the others. You look at Ryder and you see dollar signs. You look at all these people and that's what you see. But you know what happens?"

He paused and happened to glance up at the staircase, meeting my gaze with a steady, calm expression. I saw the pain in his eyes, the lost look of a little boy who can't find his way home.

I shivered and Ransom looked away.

"Sometimes, they end up like me," Ransom said.

"Not everyone ends up like you," Mr. Kane said. "Some people know how to control themselves and stay on the right path."

"The right path for who?" Ransom said.

"I don't have time for this," Mr. Kane said as he shoved his half-empty plate into a nearby waiter's hands.

"Come on, Ryder," Ransom said, his voice even. "We're leaving."

"I can't go, Ransom," Ryder said. "You know that. I'm under contract. And I'm not eighteen."

Ransom ignored him and, instead, he ran through the crowd and up the stair case, standing just above me. Up close, his eyes were bloodshot and his hair disheveled. He looked like he hadn't slept in days, but he stared out at the crowd proudly.

Everyone present was silent as they waited for him to speak, save Mr. Kane who kept insisting someone remove Ransom from the party, but didn't make a move to do it himself.

"You should all be ashamed of yourselves," Ransom said. "Every single one of you. Look at what your glorifying to these kids, to the world. They're not perfect, not by a long shot, but you're going to make it seem that way. Oh, yes you are," he laughed and ran his hand through his hair. "You're going to take away their privacy and their childhood and what for?"

He paused. Mr. Kane edged towards the front door, disappearing into the night.

"Money,"

"I didn't see you complaining when you were cashing your checks," a tall man in the back said as he stepped forward. "And I don't see you giving it back now."

"You're right," Ransom said, pointing at the man and grinning as if they shared a joke. "Do as I say and not as I do, right?"

Everyone looked at the man and his gaze shot around the room, confused.

"My brother is already famous, courtesy of our parents, but all of you need to realize what you're doing...." Mr. Kane reappeared, followed by two huge bodyguards who ran towards the staircase.

"Where are our parents now?" Ransom said as he looked around the room. He didn't appear to notice the bodyguards as he continued, "Where are they? Don't they want to see the fruits of their labors?"

"Run," I hissed. The bodyguards were getting closer.

"What?" Ransom glanced at me, confused. Then he noticed the men and his eyes widened. "Remember, I came, Ryder. I was here."

He smiled the same cocky half-smile I had seen in countless movies as he clapped me on the shoulder. "Thanks," he said.

Ransom ran up the stairs and then paused, turning back. "Don't let them get you, either," he said with a wink and then the chase was on.

It would have been funny to watch, had it not been so shocking. Ransom ran from them, around the balcony's and down side stairs, evading the bodyguards and eventually the waiters, who reluctantly joined in after being ordered to do so. He knocked over one of the dessert tables and then, while lying on the floor covered in frosting, one of the bodyguards finally captured him.

They led him out, still yelling, with a bodyguard on each side. They gripped his upper arms tightly, their knuckles white and I wondered if he would have bruises in the morning. I hoped he would fight them off and come back. I wanted to ask him something, but I never got the chance.

Because Ransom Rhodes was found dead the next day of an apparent drug overdose.

****Ok guys, what did you think? The next part is already written and I'm tempted to just post it now, but I guess I'll wait till tomorrow morning. ;)