Can you believe it?!?

After dinner, I escaped the boys, whose energy was almost more than I could handle. As far as I could tell, Bridge was the only calm one in the bunch. Almost too calm. Nothing seemed to rattle him and he took life with a definite "All will be alright, come what may." attitude. I kind of liked it.

I slipped outside, disappearing into the heavy night air. It was thick with humidity and seemed to surround me, cloaking me in warmth.I walked slowly across the thick lawn, enjoying the feeling of the cool grass between my bare toes.

Bypassing the chairs, I sat down on the tile. The breeze, though muggy, would make me cold in the lounge chairs. I leaned back, resting my cold hands against the sun-warmed tile. It felt good, almost rough, under my skin. Staring up at the stars above me, I tried to imagine what I would be doing at home right now if Grady and Mom hadn't ruined my life.

Stars shone down me with their twinkling light and tears pricked my eyes. I felt for a moment as if they understood. Though my neck began to ache, I continued to stare at them. They shone brightly above me, only fading into darkness at one edge as they gave way to city lights. Finally, I succumbed to the pain and laid down, stretching my sore back and muscles out over the tile.

The sky above me was alight. I had never stopped to look at the stars before and I wondered now why I hadn't. They calmed me. "You've been here ages before me," I whispered, "and you'll be here ages after I'm gone."

It wasn't like me to think so deeply. Maybe it's because life is moving so fast for everyone around me. Or maybe because I'm growing up. Either way, I blamed it on Grady. Rising to my feet, I drifted over to the pool. I felt like a person without direction, a ship without a place to moor.

The pool glistened in the pale moonlight and I sat down near the edge, trailing my fingers in the water, making ripples of my own.

"What are you doing?" The voice startled me and I half-turned, almost falling in the pool. But a strong hand grabbed my shoulder, steadying me.

"You scared me," I said, clasping his arm for balance.

Ryder smiled, releasing my shoulder and sitting down next to me.

"Where are the others?" I asked, shifting uncomfortably next to him. I wondered if he had heard me whisper to the stars.

"Still inside. We're going over to Bridge's in a little while. Band meeting."

I noticed he didn't ask if I wanted to come along, but I didn't care. The last thing I wanted to do tonight was meet some of the most famous people in the industry, namely Bridge's parents. I felt too emotional, on edge and over-rung.

"We're not going to have fun you know," Ryder said. "It's another one of our mandatory meetings. I think your Mom is coming."

"I bet," I said bitterly. I watched as Ryder scraped the edge of the tile with his fingernail and chucked a bit of loose stone into the pool.

"Lindy, are you happy?" Ryder asked, peeking at me out of the corner of his eye.

I stared at him, surprised. I was used to grumbling with little or no response from Mom, Dad, and Grady. "Why do you ask that?"

Ryder shrugged, crossing his legs. The light from the pool sent dancing waves over his face, shadowing his eyes and then illuminating them in turn. "Grady said you didn't like it here. That you want to leave."

"Grady said that?" I repeated. I couldn't believe my self-centered brother noticed. Or cared enough to mention it.

"Yeah, I think he feels bad you're stuck here. But don't tell him I said that," Ryder added hurriedly.

"Hmm," I wondered if Ryder wasn't giving Grady a little more credit than he deserved.

"The thing is...," Ryder swallowed hard, staring at the water.

"Yes?" I prompted, ducking my head to meet his gaze.

"The thing is, I don't want you to go," Ryder said, staring into my eyes with is own brilliant blue ones. My own hazel eyes seems dull in comparison.

"Oh," I said, smiling. I felt like I was in a scene from a movie and I blushed. Ryder swallowed nervously and shifted his gaze back to the pool. I tucked my hair behind my ear, glancing away. I can't believe Ryder Rhodes wants me to stay! My heart sang with delight.

"I hadn't thought how it would be without you till just now," Ryder said. His voice sounded different. "I would miss you."

He hesitated. "So maybe, don't go?"

My heart stopped singing and definitely sank. I liked Ryder but I didn't want to live here permanently. To forever be second fiddle? I just couldn't do it.

"I don't know...," I started to say, glancing back at him and then the world stopped.

Because Ryder Rhodes leaned forward and very softly kissed me.

On the mouth! Can you believe it?

**********

Ok, guys, what did you think? Are you excited for Lindy? What do you think of Ryder? I want to know what you think!!!! Which guy did you want Lindy to fall for?