The View at the Top

The blazing sun beat down on the top of my head as I emerged from the car. Instantly, I felt as if I were in an oven. The heavy, humid air pushed against me, covering me like a warm, moist blanket. I struggled to breathe.

It was only a few steps from the burning sidewalk to the shelter of the building. Cool air flowed over me like a wave of icy cold water as the lobby doors slid open. I watched Mom and Grant speak with a fake blonde at the reception desk. She nodded before pressing a concealed button. A buzzing sound rang out and the wide doors behind her swung open, ready to admit us. Or engulf us, I thought morbidly as I walked through. They shut with a whoosh behind me and I jumped, feeling suddenly as if I were trapped.

I almost reached for Grady’s hand, but I resisted. Don’t be a baby, I told myself, but the atmosphere of the building was intimidating. Usually, I couldn’t care less. I would have simply gone along with Grady and Mom without a second thought, knowing I wasn’t involved. But this time, I just couldn’t.

“And you must be Melinda.” A booming voice shook me from my thoughts as a large hand gripped my own, shaking it warmly.

“Lindy,” I corrected him, my voice soft. His personality was so large, it overwhelmed me. He paused, his hand still gripping mine.

“Lindy Madison? Hmm. Sounds marketable.” He laughed, slapping my back. I couldn’t help but grin in return. His enthusiasm was contagious.

“I’m Broderick Kane, Owner of the studio and one of the creators of this band.” He winked at me. “But you can call me Rick.”

Running a hand through his carefully trimmed white hair, he ushered us all to the elevator, speaking mainly with Mom and Grant.

“What do you think?” I whispered to Grady, but he shushed me, his brow lowered as he tried to listen in on the adults.

I rolled my eyes, watching the buttons for each floor light up as we passed. We’re going to the top, I thought as the last button glowed.

I think I’ll remember it forever, though no one else seemed to notice. Time didn’t freeze for them. The long pause as the elevator ground to a halt, the silver doors remaining closed. What’s behind them? What’s waiting for us on the other side? I thought, not realizing I was wondering so much more.

I’d swear it lasted several minutes, but I know, in reality, it was only a few seconds. Slowly, the slight grinding of gears announced the impending opening. I swallowed hard. The doors moved, light spilling over us as they slid slowly out of sight.

****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!****