A promise kept

This is the final chapter in this book! Its gonna be a long one so I hope you enjoy! :)

With Old Dipper

"Fifteen hundred people went into sea when Titanic sank under us. There were twenty boats floating nearby, and only one came back. One." He says and everyone, including Gwen sits closely with sad faces. "Six were saved from the water, myself included. Six out of fifteen hundred."

As Dipper spoke, Gwen and the salvage crew, Robbie, Preston, Shandra, and everyone, realize the reality of what happened here 84 years before has hit them like never before. With his story Dipper has put them on Titanic in its final hours, and or the first time, they do feel like graverobbers. Preston for the first time, has even forgotten to ask about the Amulet.

"Afterward, the seven hundred people in the boats had nothing to do but wait. Wait to live, wait to die, wait for an absolution that would never come..."

~Back to young Dipper for a bit~

In Ford's boat, Ford is staring ahead and trembling, Mabel is hugging herself gently, having Rufina stroke her hand and back gently, whispering reassuring words to her. Candy, in her boat, is sipping from a hip flask offered to him by a smoker. And finally, with Dipper, he is lying swaddled with blankets and heat lamp beside him, only his face is visible. The man next to him jumps up, pointing and yelling.

Soon everyone on that boat is looking and shouting excitedly. In Dippers perspective its all silent. Knowing Pacifica wasn't there with him. But in a way she was. The boats officers lights a green flare and wave it as everyone shouts and cheers. Dipper doesn't react. He floats beyond all human emotion.

After a few minutes, officers help him stand and they have him step inside the ship, Carpathia. Once he was inside, he watches other seamen helping survivors up the rope ladder to the Carpathia's gangway doors. Two women crying and holding each other, A father, mother, and child reunited, and three best friends realizing, the fourth part of their group was gone and holding each other in an embrace. For him, everything is silent except for the music, so gentle and sad, part edgy, part hymn, part aching song of love lost forever.

Seamen come up to Dipper and wrap him in blankets and hand him hot tea. Dipper just has the eyes of a damned soul. His face was emotionless. He didn't know what to think, or what to feel. 

~The next day~

It is the afternoon on the 15th. Candy is searching the faces of the windows lining the deck, looking for Dipper. The deck of Carpathia is crammed with huddled people, and even the recovered lifeboats of Titanic. On a hatch cover sits an enormous pile of lifebelts. She keeps walking toward the stern. Seeing Candy's fancy First class clothes, a steward approaches her.

"You won't find any of you're people back her, miss. It's all steerage." The steward says but Candy ignores him and goes amongst the wrecked ship, looking under shawls and blankets at one bleak face after another.

Dipper is sipping hot tea. His eyes are fixated on her as she approaches him. She barely recognizes him. He looks like a refugee, his matted and damp hair hanging in his eyes. She was shocked to see him and she stood there, frozen.

Dipper looked to the right and back at her. "Yes I lived. How awkward for you."

"Dipper...me and you're family have been looking for you-" Candy starts to say but Dipper holds up his hand, stopping her.

"Please don't. Don't talk. Just listen. We can make a deal, since that is something you understand." Dipper says in a stern voice, sipping his tea. Candy just stands there. "From this moment on, you do not exist for me, nor I for you. You shall not see me again. And you will not attempt to find me. In return, I will keep my silence. You're actions from last night need never come to light, and you will get to keep the honor you have carefully purchased."