The ship will sink

~In case you guys are wondering Pacifica's outfit above is what she's gonna wear for the rest of the book and Dipper has on a blue and black tuxedo with a black and white, long coat~

Durland and Blub's come down the steps to the Mail sorting room and finds the clerks scrambling to pull mail from the racks. They are furiously hauling wet sacks of mail up from the hold below. Fiddleford climbs partway down the stairs to the hold, which is almost full. Sacks of mail float everywhere. The water was almost above his ankles! 

The lights are still on below the surface, casting an eerie glow. The Renault is visible under the water, the brass glinting cheerfully. Fiddleford looks down as the water covers his shoe and scrambles up the stairs. He unrolls a big drawing of the ship across that chatroom table.

It is a side elevation, showing all the watertight bulkheads. His hands are shaking uncontrollably. Durland and Blub's hover behind him.

"When do you think we can get underway?" Durland asks.

Blub's glares at him and turns his attention back to Fiddleford's drawing. He points to it before Fiddleford speaks again. "The water will be fourteen feet above the kneel plates in ten minutes....in the forepeak...in all three folds...and in boiler room six."

"Crap..." Blub's whispers.

"Five compartments. The ship can stay afloat with the first four compartments breached. But not five. If Titanic will go down head first, the water will spill over the tops of the bulkheads. At E deck...from one to the next...T-there's no stopping it." Fiddleford says with nervousness.

"But the pumps-"

"The pumps buy you time...but minutes only. From this moment, no matter what we do, Titanic will founder."

"But this ship can't sink!"

"Titanic is made of iron, sir. I assure you it can and will. It is a mathematical certainty." Fiddleford says as Durland and Blubs' look like they've been gut-punched.

"H-how much time?" Blub's asks.

"An hour. Two at most." Fiddleford says as Durland see's his dreams turn into his worst nightmare.

"And how many are aboard?"

"Two thousand-two hundred are aboard, sir." It was a long beat. Blub's then turns to Durland.

"I believe you may get you're headlines, Mr. Durland."

Meanwhile with Dipper, Candy, and Stanford, from inside the sitting room they can hear Pacifica's yells for Dipper get quieter and quieter until it was completely silent down the hallway.

"I better go change." Stanford says excusing himself.

Once Stanford leaves, Candy crosses to Dipper. She regards him coldly for a minute before slapping him as hard as she could across his face.

"You're a little man slut aren't you!" She yells in his face. But Dipper doesn't respond, nor look at her. To Dipper the blow is inconsequential compared to the blow his heart had been given. Candy then grabs Dipper's collar roughly.

"Look at me you little-" Candy starts to yell but is interrupted by a loud knock at the door and an urgent voice. The door opens and a steward pops his head in.

"Ma'm, I have been told to tell you to put on you're lifebelt, and come up to the boat deck."

"Get out, we're busy." Candy says rudely. But the steward persists and comes in, taking the lifeboats off the top of the dresser.

"I'm sorry about the inconvenience Miss. Chui, but it's Captains orders. Please dress warmly. It's quite cold tonight." He says as he hands a lifebelt to Dipper. "Not to worry, sir. I'm sure it's just a precaution."