♣ Day 2 - Favorite Anime You've Watched So Far ♣

Day 2 - Favorite Anime You've Watched So Far

Attack on Titan, hands down. 

This is pretty obvious since I work for SnkMagazine . . . my love for the anime and manga is very deep.

I discovered it through Teens React and my sister. Yes, again, my lovely sister, who was watching the scene with Keith Shadis asking who the hell everyone was while my mom wanted to leave the room and "stop watching your cartoons." Lol cx

It's just that Shingeki No Kyojin is such a unique idea. If you don't know (though I'm sure you've heard of it at least once in your life time, I mean damn, it surpassed manga sales of One Piece for the first time in like a hundred years . . . )

Anyway, it's set in this dystopian world where humanity has been pushed to its limits, and forced to construct three walls: Maria, Rose, and Sina, to protect against the savage monsters that eat humans known as titans. (If you didn't know, it actually used to be a nickname; Before the Fall is a good prequel to read). The story is centered around young Eren Jaeger, his lifelong friend Armin Arlert, and friend Mikasa Ackerman. For the first time in a hundred years, titans have breached the walls, and Eren's home, Shiganshina, is left in ruins because of the titan attack.

After losing his mother and home, with his father missing, he and his friends sign up to the military. There are three different branches of the military: the Survey Corps, considered the bravest of the military branches, who venture outside the walls to kill titans, the Military Police, who guard the king, and the Garrison, who protect the walls. Eren is hot headed and determined, so he wants to join the Survey Corps to kill all the titans. Mikasa joins him to protect him, as Armin, and soon a lot of drama follows.

What makes this anime interesting is because I haven't seen a concept like this in any mainstream media in a long time. Sure, there's dystopian, with human pushed to the brink of extinction, like The Lunar Chronicles or The Maze Runner, but it's not portrayed in a way like SnK. Giant, human eating titans? You don't see that much in media. The mangaka, Hajime Isayama, bases SnK after a lot of movies (if you've read his interviews, he mentions a lot of them) and his characters are rather "born" than made, especially with Levi. Characters like Pixis are inspired from real people, which I think is really cool, so that's what makes me like the series more.

Besides the unique-ness, SnK is a really good anime. No character is sexualized, and many of them are very diverse (for example Rico is Polish, Eren is German, Mikasa is Asian), and that's very uncommon in most animes. Like Death Note or The Devil is a Part-Timer, characters are mainly from Japan, and are set there. Since the location of the walls is unknown (although it's highly hyphthosized that it's somewhere in Europe), it's fun for fans to make their own theories. I like how Isayama-senpai lets fans be fans, and let them have their own ideas that aren't already in canon. For example, he says it's up to the reader to think whether or not Hanji is a girl or a boy, as in the manga, no pronouns are used for her gender. Since in the anime she is played by a female VA (WHO ALSO PLAYED MADAME RED IN KUROSHITSUJI WHADDYA KNOW?!) I see her as female.

The story as a whole is great too; characters are developed a lot, especially Jean, the animation and music is heavenly, and I just love it a lot. 

I just realized I love Attack on Titan so much that I was way more in depth than before, LOL. OTL for the long description (^^;)

(Oh and if I've dedicated a chapter to you that means you are super awesome and a 1000+ level dragon.)