4. Try To Explain

16/06/21

Jungkook's 1st Person POV

"What are you doing here, Jungkook?!" Sarah says to me with a cold tone in her voice. She's standing in front of me, holding her hotel door open, arching an eyebrow at me.

"Sarah, can we talk?" I ask her, feeling insanely nervous.

"Um, not really. I was going to bed. You should, too. You have a busy weekend, Jungkook," she answers sternly as she tries to close the door, but I block it from being shut with my foot.

"Why can't we talk, Sarah?" I ask her, calmly, even though my heart was racing. I hate how upset she looks right now.

And, she just lets it all out, "Jungkook, fuck... I wanted us to stay friends, but not once have you talked to me since I saw you that last night in March. You shut me out. There's nothing to talk about."

"I'm sorry. I just... I—"

"You what, Jungkook?!"she says, in an irritable tone and takes a deep breath to calm herself, "You know what? Let's talk. I'll let you explain."

Sarah steps aside to let me enter her room and I walk in, feeling ashamed by how I made her feel the past couple months. I didn't realize I affected her this way. I didn't think I would personally be affected this way. I feel like scum.

She walks over and sits on the edge of the bed. I sit beside her, but giving plenty of space between us so that she's comfortable.

"Sarah, I'm sorry I cut off communication with you. I just had a lot going through my mind. I..." I have trouble finding the right words to say to her.

She has her arms crossed and she shakes her head and has an apologetic expression on her face. She shuts her eyes and cuts in, her voice sounding less harsh now, and more gentle, "You know what, Jungkook? I'm sorry I got upset with you and spoke so sternly a moment ago. I'm just realizing I shouldn't be upset. I think seeing you again, tonight, triggered me, initially," she stops to take a breath and looks over at me, "We didn't know each other for long. I admit, it hurt my feelings that you ignored me. I really did enjoy all the time we talked back when you were in California. I get you're a busy man, so no hard feelings, okay?"

What? Did I hear right? Is she forgiving me? My anxiety lessens a bit.

"You're not mad I never replied to you after I left California, Sarah?" I look at her, making sure she's actually okay with the situation between us.

"I mean I was, but it's been three months since then. We only knew each other a couple weeks. I think I just overreacted just now. Seeing you brought back good memories and then I got bitter because of you not having had returned my texts and calls after you left. But, I understand your life is crazy and hectic. It's fine, Jungkook. Again, sorry I got upset when I first answered the door earlier."

"It's okay, Sarah! Apology accepted. But, well, I understand where you're coming from. I would've been upset if it was the other way around. I just wanted you to know that I actually did feel bad for shutting you out. I really enjoyed talking to you and getting to know you back when I was in California. I really did see you as someone I could be good friends with," I sincerely tell her.

"You did? Then why did you stop communicating with me?" she asks me, wanting clarity.

"I..." I trail off.

"Jungkook, you know what? Why don't we put that all in the past? If you want to rekindle this friendship, then we can," she thoughtfully offers to me.

"Really, Sarah?" I'm relieved to hear she's considering being friends with me even though I was a shithead and ignored her texts and calls in the past.