Chapter 54: Memory Substitution

– Draco's pov –

I told McGonagall about what happened and she looked at me, perplexed.

"So Y/N Imperiused you... but accordingly, she didn't have her wand. How was that possible?"

"You don't trust me." I snorted.

"I'm trying to help, Draco Malfoy." McGonagall spoke sharply.

"...She is..." I couldn't hide the sadness in my voice.

"She was an Allorant." My head dropped with indescribable guilt washing over my body... but McGonagall's next remark had me breathless.

"...She still is then." 

I lifted my head up slowly.

"What do you mean?" I muttered.

"Y/N's alive."

...What? I wanted to believe what I'd just heard. But the memory of her getting hit by my curse tortured me.

"Don't lie to me. I... I killed her." I glared at McGonagall.

"Well, what do you know about this necklace?" Then she once again showed me Y/N's sapphire necklace.

"It's a gift I gave her." My breathing got heavier with confusion and... hope.

"This necklace seemed to have absorbed the curse somehow. I've only seen it happen once before, and Y/N is extremely lucky to have survived from an unforgivable curse."

I gasped and a tear streamed down my cheek.

"Where is she? Please, let me see her. Let me out!" I snivelled and struggled to remove the chains on my wrists but they only tightened.

"I'm afraid I cannot do that." said McGonagall brusquely.

"Please..." I pleaded but there was no change in her tone.

"Y/N's unstable. When your curse hit her, most of the damage was absorbed by this necklace but the shock took away some of her memories, every memory that can remind her of the trauma. I am very aware that you guys were fond of each other but I simply cannot let you bring further repercussions upon her."

"Are you saying that..." I speculated and hoped I would be wrong.

"Y/N doesn't remember you."

I knew what she was implying but hearing it was... painful. I was lost for words.

"Whether or not Y/N Imperiused you, you cast one of the unforgivable curses and the Ministry of Magic has detected the magic. You should be grateful that I hid you here instead of sending you to them."

"Where am I?" I asked, bewildered.

"Hogwarts dungeon cell. This place is hidden under a spell. Also, you are related to the death eaters. If I hadn't trusted you, you wouldn't be here." McGonagall's charismatic voice echoed and she pulled out her wand. 

"Diffindo." She carefully cast the spell and freed me from the chains.

"You can keep it." She then threw the sapphire necklace at me and I caught it.

"How long are you planning to lock me up down here?" I asked.

"... I don't know," McGonagall shook her head.

"nobody knows you're here, Draco. You're safe. I know that you don't want to go back to the death eaters and you surely don't want to be found by the Ministry. We just gotta hope that Miss. Lascelles will slowly gain back her memories and... prove you innocent."