Chapter 20: His Hideaway

– y/n's pov –

Draco led me out of the empty Quidditch pitch and to the east of Hogwarts. He was heading towards the forbidden forrest, which (from what I learned) was off-limits to all students.

"I don't think we should go this way... Let's go back, where are we even goi -"

"Stop whining. We're almost there."

Soon, I found ourselves standing on this hidden doorway on the ground. Draco opened the door with a key from his robe and behind the door was a ladder. Draco was about to climb down but he paused and looked at me. He then took off his robe and put it around me nonchalantly. It was probably my short skirt that made him do so.

Following him, I climbed down the ladder and soon I was standing inside Draco's "hideaway" It was a cozy space with stone walls, a Turkish vintage red carpet, and a small hypnotising magical pond that was beaming lights from inside. There was no lamp or anything but the light from the pond was enough to lit up the space.

While I gazed at the pond, Draco made himself comfortable, sitting down against the wall.

"Quite splendid, isn't it?"

"Truly." I replied, turning back to look at him. He seemed disturbed, looking down on the floor, playing with his fingers nervously. I patiently waited for him to start talking. The first thing he said was:

"I'm sorry,"

I kind of was expecting his apology but I was still taken aback after all that he'd done to me and everything I'd heard about him.

"and you should know that I've never apologised to anyone in my life. I'm not asking for an understanding as you probably won't be able to understand the kind of person I am. The person I've been. I hurt people because... I don't know it makes me feel superior. You see I'm not a very good person. I do lots of unreasonable things out of temper and I've already done them to you... too," He seemed hurt.

"You just make me so angry and I do things to you but... I never felt happy hurting you or seeing you hurt, which got me angrier," He paused from blurting out and continued.

"I'm confused, Y/N. You must be too, because I've been acting weirdly, but I'm as confused as you. You appeared out of nowhere and -"

"Draco... Thank you," I cut him off and he looked at me, bewildered.

"you apologised. It's all that matters" I softly smiled and he didn't say anything.

"I don't really care about what kind of a person you've been to others or you've shown them. You just showed me the good side of you and let's leave it there... Can I ask you something?"

Draco nodded.

"...Can we be friends?" I held out my hand to him. As soon as Draco grabbed my hand to shake it it, the smile on my face faded and I couldn't help but frown by the sudden acute pain.

"Aah!" My head started spinning, and I heard a crying voice. "Run!"

"Y/N? Y/N!"

As Draco's voice calling my name became clearer, the pain washed away. I was all of a sudden perfectly normal as if nothing happened.

"Are you okay?"

I lifted my head up and looked at Draco who had his arms on my shoulders, worried.

"Yea... I'm fine"

"What was that?" Draco's deep grey eyes seemed perturbed.

"I don't... I don't know. I heard a voice." I really didn't have the slightest idea of what just happened. Then I noticed something.