Chapter 31: Drowning

*Hello readers!*

In Harry Potter, first task takes place in November and second task in February after the yule ball, but I've changed the timeline as first task -> second task -> yule ball -> last task

Also, I made up a spell called "Tramerdio" that transforms one into a mermaid.

Enjoy!

– y/n's pov –

As expected, the task was to rescue a hostage from the merpeople who live in the Black lake. The five hostages taken were: Ron Weasley for Harry Potter, Hermione for Viktor Krum, Gabrielle Delacour for Fleur Delacour, Cho for Cedric Diggory, and Amber for me.

Us champions weren't told about the hostages but we could easily guess by seeing who were not present in the stands. Amber was gone since the early morning and I knew she was kidnapped to be the victim.

I walked past down the lawn to the lake and saw that the seats that had encircled the dragons' enclosure for the first task were now ranged along the opposite bank, rising in stands that were packed to the bursting point and reflected in the lake below. The excited babble of the crowd echoed strangely across the water as I approached the other side of the lake towards the judges, who were sitting at another gold-draped table at the water's edge. Cedric, Fleur, and Krum were already seated beside the judges' table. Harry then joined us, sprinting to the table.

"Where have you been?" said a bossy, disapproving voice, scolding Harry. 

Bagman then pointed his wand at his throat and said, "Sonorus!" and his voice boomed out across the dark water towards the stands. And my eyes scanned the crowd, looking for... specific someone. I couldn't see him, though. There were just way too many people and there was quite a distance.

"Well, all our champions are ready for the second task, which will start on my whistle. They have precisely an hour to recover what has been taken from them. On the count of three, then. One . . . two . . . three!" The whistle echoed shrilly in the cold, still air; the stands erupted with cheers and applause.

Without looking to see what the other champions were doing, I pointed my wand at myself and shouted "Tramerdio!" Hermione previously warned me about the risk in using this spell.

"The time limit for the task is an hour and this means it could be a hard task but this spell will only last for half an hour... If you fail to come out of water before then..." Hermione's voice echoed in my head but I couldn't come up with another idea.

As soon as I cast the spell, I dived into the water and felt my legs transform into a tail. I've practiced getting used to the tail before the task so I could control my tail freer than before. The water didn't feel icy. On the contrary, I felt pleasantly cool and very light. I had soon swum so far into the lake that I could no longer see the bottom. I flipped over and dived into its depths.

Silence pressed upon my ears as I soared over a strange, dark, foggy landscape. There was no sign of any other champions, merpeople, Amber, nor grindylows that I feared the most. The silence was quite strange as I was expecting interruptions from them.