Chapter 27: Happy Halloween

– y/n's pov –

"Ba... BASILISK! Look away everyone!"

I looked up to see where the voice was coming from and then my eyes fell on this gigantic something... It was really the Basilisk, the mythical creature I had read about in Care of Magical Creatures.

Immediately, the Great Hall turned into a chaos. There were gasps and yells and all the students turned around with their eyes tightly closed, trying to avoid the gaze of the creature. Right, its gaze can kill you! What are we going to do? Where are all the professors? 

Shane, Kyle, and Amber all had their eyes closed, seemingly petrified by the horror its presence caused. I looked over to the end of our table, and Krum was doing the same.

"Hey... Hey! Close your eyes!" Draco whisper-shouted at me and I did as he told me to. Then I heard a voice. An extremely hoarse yet roaring voice.

"Ahh... Let me see...." 

Instantly, I knew it was the Basilisk speaking. The Hall was already quiet and only the quiet sniffling sounds of students who were horrified filled the huge space. My ears were now so focused and thus sensitive to every little sound... Then I heard the creature approaching the table.

Shit.

"Who... can hear me....?" As the creature hissed around the Slytherin table, I almost couldn't breath. It was truly terrifying but the horror didn't end here.

"Does anybody... want to know... why I'm here..?" The penetrating voice sent chills down my spine. Nobody answered to the creature and some students began weeping. As I sensed the creature move towards the weeping students, I felt the need to do something.

"...Why are you here?" It took a lot of courage for me to open my mouth and talk to... the bloody Basilisk.

"Ah - Finally." The creature raised its voice. I couldn't see but it definitely was making its way to  me... hissing wildly. Shit, I'm gonna die here.

"Leave... leave us alone, please." My voice trembled and my sight behind my closed eyelids grew darker... The creature was right in front of me. 

"Take out... your wand..." The voice hissed as if enjoying the evidently frightened face of mine. I didn't know why it was telling me to take out my wand - maybe it was going to eat it - but I knew I had no other choice. Draco then grabbed my hand as if trying to comfort me.

"You... Do not open your eyes. Ever." He whispered to me but it did no help. One of the most dangerous creatures was gazing at me, probably looking for the perfect timing to kill me. My trembling hand searched for the wand in my robe. When I took it out, the voice hissed again.

"Spell... your... favourite unforgivable... curse..."

Wait, what? I almost opened my eyes and my heart dropped.

"On... whom?" My voice cracked.

"Me." I could feel its head closer to me now. The creature's cold breath hit my face.