Chapter 2: "Magical"

– y/n's pov –

My name is Y/N Taylor. Luckily, my parents both come from wealthy backgrounds, so I have been offered the privilege of receiving excellent education, which I happily disregarded since other studies excited me much more.

Magic. I know it can't be real but it's quite interesting and something attracts me to it like I'm magnified. And all the "magical" – I would say, because maybe I do truly want to believe that magic is real – events that have been happening to me in the past 4 years are enough for me to obsess over it.

It was 4 years ago when I first received a letter with a beautiful red wax seal from an owl. An Owl! I couldn't believe my eyes but the address was correct and my name was neatly hand-written. I was speechless yet so thrilled, but when I opened the letter, it was empty. I still adored it at first, because I didn't know I would be receiving the same empty letters EVERYDAY whenever summer rolled around for the past 4 years.

Such extraordinary experience didn't end here. It was about a week after the end of my very very first encounter (more like a battle) with the owl, when I began having this dream (that I told Christian about) At first, I just thought it was a silly dream but I was surprised by the fact that I could clearly remember the dream, knowing that I've always forgotten my other dreams the second I woke up. So I wrote about the dream in my diary. The date was August 31st, 1991.

Then I received 7 strange textbooks through the post box, each titled: 1. Transfiguration, 2. Charms, 3. Potions, 4. History of Magic, 5. Defence Against the Dark Arts, 6. Astronomy, and 7. Herbology.

Most of them required practical practices, which I couldn't do because, first of all, obviously they weren't real, and secondly, I didn't have a "wand" that the books loved so much. But they were interesting. Really interesting. I wasn't even bothered to find out who sent them to me and I just read them over and over and over (except History of Magic I hate history).

My parents were seriously concerned about my terrible school performance and also the whole owl thing, though that seemed to be more of a secondary issue to them. The only thing I cared about school was cheerleading. Everything else was just so boring. Way too boring.

One night, my parents even made a harsh decision of burning all the books when I was asleep. Well, I took notes of them and covered considerable amount of contents in general so I wasn't in the full I-hate-my-parents mode, but that seemed to be absolutely unnecessary when I got the same textbooks, just brand new, delivered to my manor the very next day.

It took a while for me to get used to these – I love to call them magical but my parents call them – mysterious happenings. However, I learned one thing about myself. I could be quite studious, surprisingly.

"If this is what I learn at school, I would be the top of the class" I often complained.

A week after my 2nd year summer battle with the owl sending me empty letters, I had the same memorable dream. So I wrote about it in my diary again and the date was August 31st, 1992.

I then received new textbooks and a note on top of the pile that read "Choose 2" I wanted to write to the owner of this handwriting but there was no way I could reach him or her. But I just made vague attempts such as:

"Thank you whoever it is! You are ruining my school grades, but I love them!" yelling at the sky outside the manor garden.

This time there were 5 textbooks: 1. Arithmancy, 2. Muggle Studies, 3. Divination, 4. Study of Ancient Runes, and 5. Care of Magical Creatures. It was pretty difficult to choose, so I decided to take my time and just go through all of them. I almost mastered the previous 7 books because all I ever did was go to school, do some cheerleading, come back home, and study. So another 5 didn't seem like a problem.

As my 3rd encounter with the owl came to an end, I had the dream again. It was getting a bit freaky and I wrote about it AGAIN in my diary. The date was August 31st, 1993, and it was then when I realised that I've been having the same dream on the same day. This added to the list of my unsolved questions.

I was looking forward to the next books that I would be gifted. However, I didn't receive anything. Even after my 4th summer, I didn't receive anything. I did dream the same dream, though, on August 31st, 1994.

Did this person forget about me? I nervously questioned myself. I had no idea who this person was, but still grew upset. All I could do was to move on forever or go back to the old books. Obviously, the second one was what I chose.

By the way, the Muggle Studies book was hilarious. A human pretending to be something else and writing about a human. The thought of it made me laugh and I couldn't really finish it.

But... I couldn't laugh now.

The owl didn't come to me once over the summer (I was expecting my 5th battle with it) and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to dream the same dream.

Things were changing and I wasn't ready to let go of this mystery.

Now it was August 31st, 1995, and all I could do was to wait and see what would happen.