CHPT. • I •

Dayton Shell moved into a tiny cabin with a breathtaking ocean view. She unlocked the door and dropped the files on the table behind the couch before they scattered on the floor because she couldn't hold them anymore. Dayton took a deep breath and laughed at the relief that she finally didn't have to hold that weight in her hands anymore. She sat on the couch and looked around the house. Her mother's friend, Charlie Blackwood, had been in this same house nearly thirty years ago when she taught at the same pilot school. She often talked about the pilot with whom she fell in love but ended up breaking his heart. Dayton shook his head to snap back to reality. Now she is here. Creating her own legacy. Dayton has been in the Navy for a long time and was often in the field as an advisor to senior ranks within the Navy while they were on peacekeeping or defense missions. Now she was sent for the first time to teach the pilots and to talk about everything she knew, what she had learned and what she had seen.
She was happy that her former superior, General Cyclone, was also at Miramar base. She became friends with him and remained on good terms. Her cell phone rings and a familiar voice is heard on the other end.

- Are you settled? I hear you arrived this morning. - Cyclone spoke with a smile.

- Hey, Beau. Yes, I arrived this morning and I see the news is spreading fast here.

- You'll get used to it. Are you up for a drink? Hard Deck maybe?

-Give me half an hour and we'll see you there.- she answered and ended the call.

She got ready and sat in her car. She immediately found the bar and headed inside where Cyclone was waiting for her in one of the separate booths. He stood up and gave her a friendly hug.

- I'm glad you're here. I missed working with you. - he said holding her elbows.

-I'm glad as well. And if I may, you smell wonderful. - she answered him and laughed to soften the words that escaped from her lips. Cyclone smiled and offered her a seat. A woman with beautiful honey long hair approached them and asked what they were going to drink.

- Beer for me, and for Dayton...

- Whiskey. Thank you. - she finished his sentence.

- By the way, Dayton, this is Penny. Bar owner.

Penny offered her a hand to introduce them and explained how she knew she'd be here a lot like the other pilots.

-And now...why am I invited? What is the mission? And my job. - she asked.

- You need to help us with a pilot. Admiral Iceman is convinced that he can still give a lot to his homeland and service, but that pilot is a species of his own. Disobedient, impudent and in my opinion even dangerous. The admiral saved him from trouble so many times that it is impossible to count.

- Wow. So, I won't be bored. I have to see then what the Admiral sees in him. His name?

Just as he was about to say his name, Penny brought them drinks and said they were on the house. They thanked her and waited for her to walk away before Cyclone continued.

- Maverick.

-Hang on. Maverick...flew in Bosnia, angered many Admirals and was accused of killing his RIO during training? - Dayton said everything in one breath.

-Yes, that Maverick. I'm not his fan, but I have to obey the orders from the top. - he said, spinning the beer bottle on the table.

-Do not worry. There is no such soldier whom I did not put in his place and call to order. - she said and put her palm over his hand to calm his nervousness. He smiled and squeezed her hand. Dayton felt his gaze on her lips and saw him lick the corners of his and she blushed.

They remained in the corner when Cyclone saw over her shoulder Maverick enter and sit at the bar. He was talking to Penny and Dayton was curious about what he saw. She realized immediately that she knew him. Everyone knows who Maverick is and she has listened to the eternal debate; who is the better pilot: Maverick or Iceman?

- Ready to go? - she asked.

-Of course. I have to call a taxi.

- Nonsense. I'm driving you home. Come on, general. Miss Shell is your driver today.- she said and playfully bowed.
He smiled at her and walked towards her car. She realized that Cyclone lived inside the base in barracks. She parked in front of the barracks, said goodbye and headed towards her house.