CHPT • XXIV •

Dayton woke up in the middle of the night covered in sweat. Beau wasn't by her side and that made her panic even more.
She sat up and looked around for Beau. Just as she was about to get out of bed, he came in carrying a jug of water. She breathed a sigh of relief.

-My love...are you okay?- he whispered.

- Just a bad dream. I have to change, I'm wet with sweat.

- Okay, honey. I'm waiting for you. - he said and pressed his lips to her forehead.

Dayton got up and changed into another pair of pajamas and went back to bed. She snuggled up to Beau and found peace in the warmth of his body. He ran his thumb over her shoulder blade and rested his lips on her forehead. Every now and then Beau would plant a kiss on her forehead as Dayton moved to get closer to him. Morning came and the couple was still in each other's arms. Dayton ran her palm over Beau's slightly stiffened crotch. She smiled as he made a sound like a cat's purr. She began to touch him with a firmer grip over the stiff length. Beau stirred and, taking her by the chin, brought her to him for a kiss. They kissed and Beau was on top of her in a second, forcing her to spread her legs for more space.

- I can't. I'm not in the mood for that. I was just touching you. - said Dayton after stopping Beau with her hand on his chest.

Beau took a deep breath and rested his forehead against hers.

-Whatever you want. Is something bothering you? You were in a panic last night. You sleep poorly.

- I don't know. Really.

-Are you afraid of the evaluation in a few days? You don't have to if you don't want to go.

-I want to. I feel useless at home. And your second mission is approaching. And the wedding.

- I will return home by then. You know I won't fly, I just have to be there as admiral and air chief. - he explained and kissed the tip of her nose.

-I will miss you. Mom went home. Daggers go with you.

-Dawn... take it easy. I'm still here. I have less than two weeks until the mission. We will use the time for wedding details and spend time together. With dinners and lots of cuddles. OK?

-Ok.- she said with an unconvincing smile on her lips.

Beau kissed her and went to the bathroom while she went to the kitchen. The rain tapped lightly on the windows. That familiar smell of rain on dry ground permeated the air as Dayton opened the large balcony door that led from the kitchen to the outside covered patio. She sat in the garden chair, wrapped in Beau's flannel shirt. She nervously scrolled through her cell phone until she came across an announcement from a local children's hospital asking for donations and children's toys for the pediatric oncology department.
She jumped up and made breakfast for both of them before Beau's departure to the base. She planned to go get toys for the hospital and take them there herself. She had breakfast with Beau and walked him to the garage because they were leaving home together. Dayton rushed to the mall and bought toys that barely fit in the trunk of the car. She went straight to the hospital and was met by tender nurses who thanked her for the toys and the generous monetary donation that Dayton had made on her and Beau's behalf. They showed Dayton around the ward and stopped by the room of a boy who was lying listlessly on the bed.

- What about this boy? - Dayton asked worriedly.

- It's Jake. His adoptive parents left him after learning that he needed a liver transplant again. He doesn't trust anyone and just lies there - one of the nurses explained to her quietly and sadly.

- Can I go to him?

- Of course, but with a medical mask. As a preventive measure against getting sick.

Dayton slowly entered the room so as not to frighten the boy and looked at him. The boy looked at her with a broken spirit in his eyes.

- Hey. I'm Dayton. What is your name?

- I'm Jake.

- Why are you sad, little boy?

- Because I'm alone here and because I have no friends. They are not sick like me.

- May I be your friend?

- Yes! - cried little Jake.

Jake questioned Dayton about anything he could think of. He was especially delighted when he learned that Dayton was a Navy pilot and that she knew many other pilots. Dayton noticed the eyes on her. She looked over her shoulder and saw all the nurses in the pediatric oncology ward lined up in front of the glass wall of Jake's room.

- Do you want to come tomorrow too? - Jake asked quietly, who was already fighting not to fall asleep.

- I promise I'll come. Do you want me to bring you something special?

- I would like to eat meatballs. I love them very much.

-Then we have a deal.- she said and stroked his almost ash blonde hair.

Jake fell asleep exhausted and Dayton stroked him a few more times before she left his room.

- This is the first time since he's been here that we've seen him this happy. I think you are made for each other - said the older nurse and left. She looked like a grandmother around whom the grandchildren would sit in a circle while she read them the most beautiful fairy tales. Dayton headed home where Beau's Jeep was already waiting for her in the garage.

- Hey. Where were you? I called you. - he asked her before the kiss.

- I was in the hospital.

At those words, Beau abruptly dropped his plate in the sink and rushed towards Dayton.

-No no. I'm fine. Really. This morning I saw that the local hospital is asking for donations and toys for children in oncology. I bought toys and took them there and met a beautiful boy.

- You scared me. You met a boy there?

- His name is Jake. He had a liver tumor that was operated on, but his adoptive parents gave him up when the results showed that he needed another liver transplant. The little one is so adorable. He asked me to be his friend and we suddenly agreed that tomorrow I would come to visit with meatballs. - said Dayton and looked at Beau who was looking at her smiling in some special way.

- May I point out how much I admire your generosity and heart?

- I would like to do so much for him. At least make him a little happy boy.

- I love you, Dawn. I really love you. - Beau said with a deep sigh.