CHPT • XXVIII •

- Mom, where are we going? And why isn't dad with us? - Jake questioned from the back seat.

- Dad went on a short mission. And you and I are going to look for a suit for you for my and dad's wedding. - Dayton explained.

They headed into town to find a suit for Jake because Beau and Dayton decided to give him a special honor at the wedding. They wanted Jake to be the ring bearer. The wedding is less than 2 weeks away. Dayton's cell phone rang every day with information about all the parts of the mission called The Wedding.

They got to the front of the store and Dayton watched as Jake looked excitedly at the window. When they walked in and greeted the saleswoman and explained what they were looking for, Jake tried on several suits but he liked one that consisted of pants, a short sleeve shirt, and a white coffee vest.

- You will be wonderful at the wedding. You will be the star of the evening. - Dayton told him as she waited for the suit to be paid for.

- That's why I didn't want a white suit. You and dad are the ones in charge.

Dayton pampered him and promised him pancakes. She left her suit in the car and headed with Jake to a nearby restaurant that offered breakfast. Just as she walked in, she pulled Jake to a table in the corner because she noticed Hangman and Rooster sitting a dozen tables away. She watched them giggling at each other and holding hands.

- May I order Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream? - Jake excitedly asked, which drew Daytona's attention.

She was a little saddened by his question because it was the sweet wish of a man who had already raised her as his child.

- Mom, why are you sad?

- Another pilot loved those waffles. The famous Iceman. He raised me when my dad was gone. I remembered him.

Dayton ordered two portions of waffles and enjoyed it with Jake until the waiter surprised her with two cups of cocoa.

-Gentlemen at the table below, they are sending them for you at their expense.- said the waiter and disappeared.

Jake waved to the table of Hangman and Rooster who waved back. Dayton couldn't help but smile. After this late breakfast, Dayton headed home and wrote down everything in Beau's office that was confirmed to be ready for the wedding.

A list:

Jake's suit ✔️
Viper's vineyard ✔️
Wedding dresses ✔️
Beau's Suits ✔️
Catering ✔️
Invitations ✔️
Photographer ✔️ (gift from Sarah Kazansky)
Drinks ✔️ (Penny handles the procurement)

Beau wanted a vineyard wedding, but since everyone was really far away if they were free for their date, Viper gave them theirs on the condition that he and his wife organize the venue. They wanted it to be their gift in honor of Iceman and her father. Invitations have long been sent to slightly more than 50 guests. She wanted everything to be perfect before Beau came home in a couple of days when the mission was over. It slowly began to dawn on her that in two weeks she will be married to the man she loves more than anything and with her son, who is the other half of her being.
Dayton's only disappointment was that her mother declined the invitation to go to a clinic for the treatment of alcoholism. Her mother never really cared so this isn't exactly unexpected. Dayton's thoughts are interrupted by the ringing of the phone in Beau's office.

- Admiral Simpson's house.

- And the future Mrs. Simpson. - said Beau from the other side.

- Hey, honey. How are you? - Dayton asked, completely melting at his voice.

- I'm fine, Dawn. I'm just arranging the last little things before returning home.

- I really can't wait to see you.

- How are the preparations for the wedding going?

- Well, it's all over. I'm satisfied.

Their brief conversation was now interrupted by the doorbell. Jake ran and opened them.

- Dad! - he screamed.

Dayton was stunned before going to see if it was really Beau who had come. In the hallway, she found Beau hugging Jake with a large bouquet of flowers in his hands.

-Surprise.- he said gently and kissed Dayton.