CHPT • XIV •

It's been a few days since Dayton woke up from her coma. Since then, her health has had its ups and downs, but Dayton only questioned whether she would ever stand on her own two feet and feel wet sand under her feet again. She was alone in the room until she heard a light knock on the door. She looked towards them and saw...Hangman. He was carrying her a box of muffins.

-Hey.- he said gently.

- Hey.

- I'm bringing you muffins. The boys and Phoenix sent me. Captain Maverick somehow found out which one you like.

-Thank you. Thanks to everyone.- she answered, watching Hangman put the box on the high table next to the bed. He sat down on the chair next to her.

-How are you? Are you okay? - he asked her nervously.

-I'm fine. I would be better off if I knew if I could walk. - Dayton answered and put on a fake smile.

- I understand. I received orders from the captain and admiral to watch over you. Therefore, you will bear with me for a few hours - he said with his recognizable smirk.

- Oh, cowboy, don't get your hopes up. If you bore me, the guards will kick you out.

- Cowboy? That's what my mom used to call me when I was little.

Their laughter echoed around the room. Hangman's cell phone rings.

- Admiral, NATO advisor Dawn is fine. In fact, I think she's better because she's threatening me with the security guards. - Hangman said as if from a cannon.

-Hey! I'm still here!- Dayton raised his voice and laughed.

- Here, he needs you. - said Hangman and handed Dayton the cell phone.

- Hey, honey. I'm stuck in meetings so I sent Seresin to be with you. In fact, he won the darts competition in the Hard Deck to go to you first.- Cyclone told her. There was a rustle and a low curse from Cyclone.

- I'd like to help, Beau. I'm going to go crazy in the room. - complained Dayton.

- My sunshine, I know. I would like that too.

Hangman got up and walked out of the room leaving Dayton on the cell phone with Cyclone. When he returned, Dayton returned his cell phone and sadly slipped back into bed. The Hangman just handed her the bag. She opened it and saw her green Adidas tracksuit, a baggy t-shirt and the same tracksuit top.

- What is this? - she asked him.

- Mrs. Kazansky gave it to me. And now the nurse will come to help you get dressed and we'll go for a walk. They will give us wheelchairs.

Everything was done as agreed and Dayton was sitting on the bed waiting for Hangman. He entered with a big Hollywood smile, pushing a wheelchair.

- And now...you have to hug me so I can lower you into the wheelchair. Is that okay with you? - he asked her.

-Yeah. Thank you.

Hangman put her arm around his neck and pulled his hand under her bent knees and lowered her into the wheelchair. He stole Bob's favorite blanket and covered her legs. Hangman pushed her towards the elevator and one of the nurses followed them to the entrance of the hospital. She gave Hangman a piece of paper with an emergency contact number in case of any unexpected situation with Dayton.

- I informed the admiral that I was taking you for a walk. He told me that if you complain about me, my career ends here. - said Hangman as they went down the elevator.

- Then you have to be careful. - laughed Dayton.

Soon they were in front of the hospital and Hangman was driving her towards the port. The fresh sea air caressed Daytona's face, and her long hair fluttered like a ship's sails in the wind. Dayton's body shivered. She clung to the wheelchair's handrails as images of all the missions she had been on were jumbled before her eyes.