26: Shellshock

[POV - America]

I ran up the stairs, my siblings being right behind me and I barged into Nz's and Aussie's shared room. I saw my younger brother laying on his bed and quietly screaming in his sleep, he wasn't awake so I hurried up the process by waking him up myself.

Australia's eyes shot open and he cried, yelling just a little then launching himself up while gripping onto my shirt, as if he was trying to stable himself. He was breathing so heavily and his eyes looked foggy and lost. New Zealand grabbed Aussie's other hand and winced at the grip he had on it; their had started to look red.

Australia's crys stopped for a second and he breathed like normal, his grip let up just a little, but that only lasted a second. Soon after he shrieked with pain and gripped my shirt and Nz's hand even tighter than before. He leaned into me and I hugged him while he was whisper-yelling for me to "get a medic" and that "it burns so badly", I felt so sad. He was fucking panicking and I was feeling so guilty for no reason, I didn't cause this so why am I feeling this way?
I'm not usually the one that helps Australia calm down after his night terrors, but I'm more than comfortable with being that person right now.

I hugged my shaking brother while he balled his eyes out, he was trying to reach for his leg – The one that isn't there anymore – and was putting pressure on it. He was in so much pain from it. Was this phantom pain? I don't think it gets this bad! B-but-

Australia quickly withdrew his hand away from his leg and grabbed onto me tighter, I think he might draw blood soon if it doesn't lighten up.
I saw from the corner of my eye Canada, he was trying to explain everything to the Slavs and keeping them from coming more in the room.
New Zealand was trying to relax Australia with soft reassuring remarks. I held still, trying to help by just grabbing onto him and letting him know that I wasn't leaving.

He sobbed quietly now, but was talking with New Zealand about how he should 'get down'... that 'the Germans were going to shoot them'...

And with that I knew that his night terror was in fact a flashback. A flashback to either world war 1 or 2, I couldn't place it but it was probably 2 since he was saying his leg burned and world war 2 was t-the war he l-lost that leg in... I know because I was there.

"TAKE COVER!" A soldier had yelled as we began to see bullets pass by us with the sound coming a fraction of a second later.
Fog was dragged along with the bullets, only making there path more visible. Some soldiers ran back, trying to get to cover, but a lot of the cover was too small to fit our frames and some were getting shot behind those small covers, in the shoulders, feet, legs and even some more fatal areas.

I was lucky enough to get behind a larger piece of cover with 3 other men who had already tooken out their firearms and started shooting back. I hit a soldier on his back and told him to stop shooting since the fog was too thick to see through and the random shots would either be a waste of ammunition, give away our position, or both.
Everything was in shades of brown and grey, the fog only diminished the limited color that was already there. Most of the soldiers didn't listen to my demands and we laid still. When the enemies bullets seemed to lighten we got up and ran farther away, trying to get out of range. That was until I heard a bigger sound. A thunder strike. It was making the earth explode upwards in front, behind and to the sides of us. Making many men fall from the shockwaves it gave out.

I was scared. But kept running. Making sure not to get close to were the old explosions happened but staying concious that New one could appear anywhere. I knew I wasn't the only one here that didn't want to die, but my mind wandered to two soldiers that had come with me into this ground reconnaissance mission and that I hoped would not die: my siblings, New Zealand and Australia.
They had volunteered to go, thinking that the enemy wasn't going to be there and hoping to have a few laughs with me. They took this job seriously, don't get me wrong, but they were getting tired of the same old shit that they had to do every day.
Well, they were wrong about the enemy not being here and now they got something new.