Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight - Chocolate Chip Cookie

Monday, 30th March 2020

KRYSTALLIA

"We're taking a short cut, just follow this SUV," I said to Zach who is getting glared at by Kris. He nodded and I turned around and made my way to Kris and Sam.

We got in the car as Zach got in his and both vehicles pulled out from the parking lot.

"Why is he coming?" Kris asked, looking up from his phone. I shrugged, "He won't know anything. Trust me."

He snickered, "Yeah, that's what you were saying when you left the gun."

My jaw dropped, "Were you watching me?"

He rolled his eyes, "I stopped the moment he was in two feet proximity of you."

I visibly let out a sigh of relief, "Thank Jesus, you wouldn't want to see it."

I was about to go on autopilot when something came back into my mind, "Did you know about Ez?"

He just nodded as he scrolled through social media. I placed my chin on the inside of his elbow and looked up, "Why didn't you tell me?"

He glanced at me and used his free hand to pat my head for no apparent reason, "He wanted to surprise you and I was too tired to care."

I sat back up straight and looked outside, "Well, it was a surprise indeed."

***

We arrived home after dropping Sam off and Kris got out, pulling my bag and myself with him. I saw Zach get out of his car and walked towards us. He followed behind as we stepped to the front door.

Entering, we walked to the living room and Kris went to the television as Zach and I went to the kitchen. I placed my bag by the island and went to take a beer.

"Gimme a sec," I said to Zach and went to Kris. I placed the beer on the coffee table, "Here you go. Where's KT?"

"Clients," he answered, opening the bottle with the table. I raised an eyebrow, "Why aren't you there?"

"I had work to do so he took over."

I nodded, "Then I'll be in my room."

"Don't do anything I'd do," he mentioned with a smirk and I smirked back, "Already done it."

His face immediately morphed into one of disgust as I laughed and walked back to the kitchen.

I opened the walk-in pantry just for snacks and took out a large cookie jar filled with the BEST chocolate chip cookies.

No one can say they tasted the best chocolate chip cookie until they've eaten one of these.

Lorraine's best friend Martha works as the 'head maid' if you would call it that as she's the first maid our family has ever hired and has been working the longest. She's worked here since dad and mom got this place in 1989 and we, the Estradas consider her our own family.

She was the one who introduced Lorraine to us when we mentioned that we needed a maid over at the base and we couldn't have her running around.

Like Lorraine, she's a sweet lady who puts up with us. She's not that different from Lorraine actually. The only difference is that she has a husband, son, and grandson.

I'm getting off track. I'm supposed to be telling you that Martha was the one who made the cookies, but I've been spending the last minute gushing over how nice she is. She rarely makes them so when she does, she makes batches so big we could eat them for weeks.

And that's counting that we eat one jar per day.

I walked out of the pantry and went back to the island. I set the jar on the counter before getting on a stool and nibbling on a cookie. I gently pushed the jar towards Zach who was standing next to me and motioned for him to take one.

He glanced at it before taking a piece and biting it.

"What do you think?" I asked after swallowing. His eyebrows raised in shock as he tasted the amazing snack we call 'Martha's FUCK YEAH Chocolate Chip CookieTM'.

"Damn, this shit is too good to exist."

"I know, right?"

We continued eating some of the cookies until I heard footsteps coming in from the main kitchen. I looked away from Zach to look at who it was and guess what?

It's ginger.

He was carrying an empty knife holder and I guessed that was currently in his other job as the kitchen porter and was going to get a refill on it.

Martine breaks them, somehow, when he's angry.

He's scheduled to a meeting with us later after dinner so nothing to worry about.

"Ginger," I called out and he looked up to meet my eyes. I gestured for him to come over here and he did. I took a cookie out of the jar and held it in front of him, "Try it."

He placed the knife holder on the counter before shaking his head and chuckling, "I'm not supposed to, miss."

"C'mon, just one. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it ever again," I persuaded him and he looked at me before glancing at Zach.

He looked back at me and a flash of recognition went by his eyes before he placed his lips over the cookie and tugged it out of my hand before holding it as he tried the snack.

"So?"

"Wow, this is beyond heaven," he said, taking small bites to savor the cookie as if that's the last he'll ever be eating.

"If you want some, the jar's in the snack pantry, the whole left shelf."

He shook his head again, "I really don't think I can, miss."

"Nonsense. We gladly let our staff eat everything in the pantries. Why do you think most of them are in a good mood every day, even though they're working long hours away from their family?"

He stared at me again before smiling and nodding, "Alright, miss. Thank you."

"Don't mention it. Now go before Martine has your head with the knife you're about to give him," I laughed and shooed him off jokingly. He waved as he walked off and I turned back to look at Zach.

Only then I noticed the expression on his face.

Tell me.

I done fucked up, haven't I?

Thank you for choosing to read AYR.

See you!

-Phantom