Chapter Twenty Five

Two quiet knocks on my door. Who could it be? It was two in the morning and although I was exhausted from the days events I could not sleep for the very same reason. Everyone else must have already zonked out hours ago. All except one person, who had went through all the same things as I that night.

 I pulled on a pair of jeans and slid on my slippers and then shuffled quietly in the dark towards the door. I didn't want to wake Bridget; she was still blissfully oblivious to what was going on and I planned to keep it that way as long as I could.

 I cracked open the door and slid out. "Shhh." I whispered to Rick. There were dorm rooms on either side of the hall and when they are full of spies trained to sleep lightly it's not a good idea to talk right outside. I led him quietly to the common room where it would be safer to talk although you never know.

 We sat down on the couch facing each other and I turned on a lamp so there was a dim yellow light that illuminated the otherwise dark room. We sat in silence for a moment while he thought of what to say.

 "Couldn't sleep." he explained. I nodded, I was the only one who could understand what he was going through at the moment and even then not completely. He was new to this and not to say that I was a veteran or anything but I had learned over the years to handle this stuff, while he had being going from foster home to foster home, his life weighing down on him the whole time. In a way he was more experienced than I when it came to dealing with what life threw at him but this type of life threatening situation was totally new.

 "What's bothering you?" I paused. That sounded stupid and before he could point that out I quickly rephrased, "I mean besides all the attempts made on your life and all that boring stuff. Anything more specific?" he smiled a little then pondered my question. He seemed to be searching for an answer but I could tell he already had it and was dying to ask but was uncertain as to how.

 Finally he just decided to blurt it out, "How come we can't tell anyone? Wouldn't they be able to help?" I sighed. I knew he was right but there were other things to consider.

 "Rick, if we tell them what has been happening do you think we'd ever be allowed out of HQ again?" I explained, he just looked at me, "No. And trust me that's not what you want. Don't worry we will tell them but I have something I need to do tomorrow and I can't have them keep me here. They will take us right off the case and not tell us anything, we will be left in the dark for our own safety and I for one can't have that. Can you?" his brow furrowed as he thought about what I'd said.

 "No. But maybe it's for the best. We almost died tonight Jess." he said always quick to point that out.

 "I know how close we came, but trust me Rick. We just have to be more careful and keep our heads low. I want-no I need to find out more before I go to them. I can't just let it go. You have to understand. I will know the right time okay? Trust me?" he didn't answer right away and we sat in silence for a minute. I needed him to understand because if he didn't he could just go to Caesar or whoever on his own and that would not be good. We couldn't do that just yet.

 Finally after what felt like an eternity of waiting he answered, "Okay Jess I trust you." then to lighten the mood he asked, "So how did you get away from Carter?"

 I smiled mischievously,"Well actually..."