Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

                Rick was still in total awe of HQ, there was no doubt about that. He was looking around so much I was afraid his head might fall off. Actually I was not afraid of this I was really hoping it would fall off because then I wouldn't have to be his handler for the rest of the week. But I don't think it's possible for your head to fall off from looking around too much so there really wasn't any hope of my duties being cut short. Though I did take comfort in the fact that he would probably wake up with a sore neck in the morning along with a rub on tattoo of something funny on his face or ice cold water splashing him, depending on what mood the Phoenix twins were in. I honestly felt a little bad that Rick would have to room with them, though it would most likely only be for a couple of weeks.

                 As a rule all newbies get assigned to room with people who've been at HQ for a while in the hope that they'll pick up on the daily routine from them and therefore integrate nicely into their new lifestyle, then after a few weeks they can get a new room alone or with someone else of the same gender (obviously boys and girls are split up, we each have separate wings with a big common room in between the two) if they want to and if there's room. I wonder how Rick had ended up with the Phoenix twins, I mean they weren't the best role models for a new kid, choosing to fool around and pull pranks more than help someone grasp the concept of life at HQ. But who cared, certainly not me, I'd be all done with him after this week anyway. That is if he leaves me alone after I'm done being his handler. Something told me he wouldn’t.

                I led the way through HQ to the boys’ dormitory while Bridget and Rick trailed behind, Rick running his mouth off as usual until finally I stopped at a door causing him to bang into me. He held my shoulders to straighten me out and apologized quickly. It was like he was scared I would hit him or something for banging into me. I guess I gave him good reason to believe I would do this.

                "Sorry Jess! Why'd you stop so suddenly?" I just rolled my eyes and turned tapping the door I'd stopped in front of with my index finger. There was a sign that read 'enter at your own risk' and Rick glanced at it warily.

                "Because we're here Ricky." I took out my key card that had been granted special access to this room specifically so I could let Rick in since he would not receive his own until tomorrow.

                You're probably wondering what happened to regular old doors with a handle and keyhole, well try living with a bunch of spies in training who learn how to break into practically everything with simply a toothpick and then you see how well the traditional door works. The whole key card idea was probably one of the best changes ever made at HQ, because of the fact that everyone is also fully certified thieves. "This will be your home for the next few weeks." I told him.

                "Wait. You just said a few weeks right? Meaning not permanent?"

                "Yeah." I explained to him that he'd get a new room after he got the hang of things. He seemed extremely relieved at this revelation. Which was weird considering he'd only just met the Phoenix's and they may not turn out to be half bad roommates. Yeah, and a bank robber doesn't like money. They were going to be terrible roomies, even if it would only be for a couple weeks.

                "Thank god! I thought I'd be stuck with those two crazies forever! I mean I know I just met them and all but with what you've told me I don't think I'd survive more than that." Rick said obviously very relieved. Bridget laughed.

                "Speaking of which, I don't think it would be wise for you to sleep with both eyes closed tonight. Blaze and Rory love to trick the newbies." she explained matter-a-factly. It was nice of her to clue him in. I nodded in agreement. Rick just sighed in exasperation. I smiled and swiped my key card opening the door to give Rick a look at his new room.