Chapter 2: The Old Man

Narrator's POV

Lauren woke up after she drifted off for two hours and a half. She could not fell asleep again. She tried to sleep again but she could not manage as the dancing girl who left her at the party occupied her mind. Lauren tried to think of something else but she kept on coming back to her mind. It was twenty-seven to five, she sat up and shuffled her hair. She sighed and decided to get out of the bed.

Lauren took the bottle of whisky that was placed on the table by the corner of the hotel room. She poured herself a glass of whiskey. She sipped her whiskey while she was looking out of the window. It was still dark outside. She was still wondering why that beautiful brown eyes girl left her just like that. Many possibilities crossed her mind.

Thinking that the girl did not like her made Lauren sad. If she did not like Lauren why she danced with her and why she did not just leave her. The girl's wellbeing also crossed her mind. Probably, the guy who was chasing them found her and she could not return to Lauren. Lauren also questioned who that guy was. He did not look as young as the girl, but not old enough to be her father. Why she ran away from him? Was she just playing around with him and Lauren was just one of her fun? Many questions were in Lauren's mind. She could not stop thinking about her while she was sipping her whiskey.

The time was seven past seven. Lauren was tipsy now. She decided to go out to find some fresh air. The sky was still dark as the sun would rise around eight in this wintertime in London. She took her coat and her hat and left her room. She did not forget to bring a small bottle of whiskey with her in case she needed it to warm herself during this cold weather.

When she reached the lobby the doorman greeted her, she greeted back with her tipsy self. The sun was still hiding, and the street was still quiet. Most of the people were likely still sleeping after the new year party last night. Lauren walked slowly without direction. Less than one hour, Lauren walked back to the hotel as it was too cold and nobody on the street.

Entering the hotel, she did not want to go to her room so she decided to walk around the hotel to find a spot where she could sit. She walked past the receptionist to the other side of the hotel. There was one corner with a balcony, she saw an old man sitting inside there with his painting equipment. He was painting the view in front of him.

Lauren walked closer to where the painter was. She took a seat quietly as she did not want to disturb him. The painter saw Lauren. He smiled at her saying nothing and returned to his painting. Lauren saw a tea set by his side. He was painting peacefully. Lauren just sat there looking at him painting. Lauren enjoyed arts especially painting but she did not paint or create arts herself.

Sitting there enjoying him painting, Lauren did not say anything. She sometimes would take a sip of a whiskey from her little bottle. It was too early to drink but she had been drinking slowly since she woke up. The sun was rising and the man was about to finish his painting. He turned around and looked at Lauren. They smiled at each other.

"Good morning, young lady!" The old man in his early seventies greeted Lauren.

"Good morning, sir!" Lauren who was tipsy replied to him. Even though she was not sober, she was not drunk. She was still able to carry a polite conversation properly. "You paint very well. I love it."

"Thank you!" The man smiled. The man looked at Lauren's whiskey bottle. "Enjoy your little fun there."

Lauren chuckled. She felt like her grandpa caught her drinking in the early morning but wise enough not to judge her, "yea...did not have fun last night, so a little fun this morning won't hurt." Lauren smiled.