Chapter 65: Slash of Revenge

Fire Temple Arena

It was all a matter of timing. Whoever pulled out their weapon first would die, but if the opposing didn't pull out theirs fast enough, they would die. Therefore, as the horn blew, both fighters stood in the ring staring at each other, hands hovering over swords but refusing to pull them out.

A small movement and a flinch as the older assassin changed his position, focusing instead on his dagger. "Look, we both know how to kill and how to fight, so let's just stop wasting time and pull our weapons." He paused. "Here, I'll give you the upper hand. You pull your weapon now and I won't move for one second, I promise."

The younger one didn't speak, only moving to the side as he initiated a circling side-step between them. Still, his hand refused to touch his sword, keeping a steady hover over it.

Sighing, the older man drew his dagger, quickly closing the distance between them. And the fight had begun.

A dagger appeared in the boy's hand and sparks flew as their blades clashed, the boy bringing up his sword alongside his dagger to take the force of the elder's weight. They both jumped back.

"What do you know, folks, our younger competition might be better than he looks!" Svorn sat back, placing a hand on his jaw as he watched the fight, bored, waiting to snipe in with his random bursts of commentary.

Hands flourished, light glinting off blades as the two jumped in and out in a mass of attacks and parries. A leg swept under the older man and he jumped back, throwing one of his daggers into the ground and bringing out a line of smaller, thicker knives. The boy instantly jumped back, bringing up his hands and flipping his sword hand around as the knives began to fly.

"Woah, our elder fighter is pulling out all the stocks today, bringing throwing knives into the mix! What a crazy turn of events for our youngster! Will he survive such an onslaught of attacks? Remember, our bidding remains open until the final seconds of the fight!"

Blades left the man's hands in quick succession, each one a potential fatality for the boy. But the boy's hands moved just as fast. Knife hit knife as each of the older man's movements were tracked. Swivelling, slashing, ducking, the boy managed to evade most, only a few cuts trailing blood across his arms and midsection.

Then it was his turn to attack. Racing forward, he threw his dagger into the dirt, unsheathing another thin sword, attacking with a determined ferocity. The man swiftly pulled his dagger from the dirt, defending with it as he jumped away, attempting to keep some distance between them. The boy smiled, this was exactly what he wanted, this was beneficial for his sword reach.

The man seemed to realise this too as he, shot in closer in a sudden movement, causing the boy to leap back and defend from the stabbing motion with frantic parries.

Swords flashed around as the boy sprinted back, throwing his sword into the dirt, swapping the set dagger in the dirt and his sword. He glanced around, focusing his attention of the high-rising walls and speeding towards them, leading the man into the long ring of wall with a plan fixed in his mind.

The man halted, cocking his head to the side and unhooking small, curved blades from a satchel at his side. The two locked eyes and the boy grinned, pressing his feet firmly in the ground. Small blades shot out from the fronts and backs of his shoes, spreading out bits of the side as the boy jumped on the wall.

His blades scraped rocks, finding soft stone and digging in deep. Plunging his remaining sword into a higher vantage point, he reached into a small sheath at his belt, drawing out another dagger and manoeuvring it to the wall, using his other dagger to pull himself up.