Chapter 37: A Father's Cowardice

Fire Temple

Rav clicked his tongue, annoyed. It had now been about a day since the wall had closed all exits leading to the outside world. A day. And the wall, roof, floor, castle, whatever it was, hadn't written anything since. Basically, the children were bored. Very bored.

The only consolation was that the wall had not shut them back inside their rooms, the doorways to each room was completely open for them to enter and exit as they willed. So, they were in each other's company. Continuously. And the wall was completely silent. Boredom surrounded them.

"Rav!"

Alec and Ebb had found a ball somewhere and were now playing a very strange game where one threw the ball at the other and the other had to dodge. But then the other picked up the ball and tried to run to the other side of the room without being touched by the first person. It was very strange. And weird.

At least Ebb had changed out of those ridiculous clothes she was wearing before however, unfortunately, she had stolen Rav's clothes from his overbearing wardrobe an was now prancing around in leather pants and a gloriously decorated top. Oh, that little adventure had been quite a hassle! When you had two boys and one girl in a giant room with no doors or other form of privacy, it became exceedingly uncomfortable.

"Rav! Are you listening?"

Rav turned around to see Ebb staring at him impatiently. "Yes?"

Ebb huffed, gesturing towards her pants. "Where are the belts in your room?"

"What?" Rav shook his head, confused as to why Ebb would ever need a belt.

She rolled her eyes. "They keep slipping down and it's annoying... Especially because Alec keeps beating me."

"Of course, Alec's winning. You're playing a running game and, unfortunately for you, Alec's had a lot more training in that area than you've ever had." He paused for a second, still confused. "But what does that have to do with a belt?"

Ebb paused. "Well..." She fluttered her eyelids a few times, uncertain. "I thought that was the reason why I kept losing: my pants getting in the way of me running..."

Alec placed his hand in front of him in a gesture of settling things. However, this was far from the truth. "Wait, why are your pants slipping down in the first place. I mean, it's not like they're wide or anything."

She turned to her brother, "Maybe I have a smaller waist than you. Ever think of that?"

"But it's not the waist that prevents it from slipping down, it's the- "

"Look, just can you please pass me a belt! It's not that compli- "

"Oh, come on! Why don't you just wear a dress or something?"

Ebb opened her mouth, about to say something she was sure to regret, but Rav cut her off.

"Stop." He said, before sighing. He started unhooking his belt. "You can take my belt." He threw it at her and she caught it easily. "Here."

"Thanks." She muttered before slipping it on.

Rav turned to his room and opened his closet, pulling out another belt and sliding it on. He turned towards his pair of siblings who had once again started up their strange game whilst glaring at one another.

He walked over to the wall opposite them and started banging his fist against it. "Hey, you! Wall! Stop sulking and come talk!"

A second passed before huge glowing words overtook the giant wall before him. 'I am NOT a wall, I am the Fire Temple! This castle!' The words flashed away as fast as they came before new words spread out over the wall. 'And I wasn't sulking, I was busy!' The fiery letters started diminishing becoming a reasonable size for conversation. 'Ok, what do you want?'