20. Gun.

Funny how I'm nervous still, I've always been an easy kill

Frank's POV

I still have the bread on my lap, untouched when Turtle leaves the room.

I quickly grab it between my teeth, without actually sinking them into the stuff, and begin to crawl towards the rat's corner. Now I hope that my plan works. Otherwise, my aforementioned rat enemy will find itself in a perfect attacking position.

I'm careful not to make too much noise or sudden movements that could scare the rat as I advance, however the fucking animal seems to have other plans.

The rat suddenly jumps out of its hideaway and in front of my face, scaring the living shit out of me as it shrieks loudly.

I take a moment to calm down before proceeding.

I bite the corner of the bread I had been holding so the rest falls to the ground. The rat jumps a little, scared of the bread's sudden impact.

It soon goes back to shrieking, so I throw the piece of bread I bit off towards it with a movement of my head.

The rat seems confused. It stops its shrieking for a second as it smells the bread. I patiently observe as it grabs it with its little paws and brings it to its mouth.

It quickly eats the stuff and then comes back to me, shrieking a little quieter this time.

Yes! I think. This may actually be working.

I take a larger bite and repeat the process, but this time throwing it as far as I can. I'm delighted when the rat chases after it, leaving its corner alone.

I smile maliciously. Game over, rat.

I crawl closer to the wall, and in no time at all I've found the little hole that woke me up the other time. It's not much but it's at a great height, and it lets me see the sky.

Now I have a way of tracking time. But more importantly, my kidnappers' schedule.

I smile to myself and then turn away from the hole, noticing how the rat is now eyeing me curiously, its furry head tilted sideways.

It looks kinda cute, I'll admit it.

I pick up the bread from the ground and bite off one last bit for the rat before eating the rest.

If we're going to share a room, I might as well try and make it like me a bit.

I smile. The mission continues.

(Time lapse. About three weeks after)

The creaking sound of the door being opened wakes me up and my stomach tightens in suspense. Over the course of these past few days I've learnt that my daily fate is basically sealed depending on who opens the door first and how exhausted they look as they approach.

This time, I realize, I'm even less lucky than the rest of the days.

This, because when I turn to the door, what I see isn't Vic or Turtle. Well actually it is, but this mustn't be good. The last time the four of them came in was when they beat me up. Something must be up.

Mike and Jaime walk ahead of the other two, and Mike's smile is making the hairs in my arm stand out. Something in his eyes just sends shivers down my spine.

"Hello, Frank" he says, smiling even wider. Jaime also looks kind of happy.

"Ummm... Hi?" I reply, my voice shaking along with my body.