Winds of Fire [ACOTAR]

By acciowests

In a desperate attempt to gain protection for his daughter, Tamlin makes a bargain with the Night Court. His... More

INTRODUCTION
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY ONE
CHAPTER FORTY TWO
CHAPTER FORTY THREE
CHAPTER FORTY FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY SIX
CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
CHAPTER FIFTY ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR
CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE
CHAPTER FIFTY SIX
CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN
EPILOGUE
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

2.9K 75 16
By acciowests

A day of drama had quickly become a day of distraction. They had been waiting for Cassian and Nesta to return, but as the morning passed to noon, and noon passed to evening; it was very clear they weren't returning as soon as they had hoped. Primrose had kept busy by visiting the members of the other courts, handing them supplies and thanking them once more for joining. That, and avoiding her father. She had no clue where he went, but he was sure to be within the camp somewhere, and she didn't fancy bumping into him anytime soon.

It wasn't long before she was back in bed with Orion at her side, at the house this time, instead of the cabin. Elain, Azriel, Leo and Nova had left at noon, winnowing safely to the mountain top cabin. She would miss them, but she wanted them to be safe, especially with the state that Azriel was still in. Luckily, she still had Orion. His chest was against her back as they cuddled, even in sleep, his head against hers and their hands intertwined against her stomach. Despite the snow that fell outside, they were warmed by one another's skin, the duvet pulled up around them as they slept.

Even in the depths of sleep, Primrose could still feel the explosion that shook the ground around her. She awoke in an instant, coughing on the smoke that blew in through the windows. Orion was sat up at her side, looking around with a frown and climbing out of bed, pulling on some undershorts as he threw the curtains open. Prim held tight to the duvet as she took in the flames encasing the forest before her. Every tree was on fire, the snow melting into puddles effortlessly.

Knocks rapping on their door had Prim getting up to pull her own underclothes on as Rhys's voice sounded through the wood, "It's the Autumn Court!"

"Got it, Dad!" Orion yelled in return, pulling on his Illyrian leathers as Prim struggled into her own. She wasn't used to the tightness of the gear, squeezing her breasts past the top and suffocating her stomach as she did up the jacket. She pushed her feet into the too-big boots, lacing them up quickly before following Orion downstairs, his wings creating a gentle wind that kissed her face. As he pulled open the front door, the warmth hit her like a tidal wave.

Orion gripped her hand, his palm already sweaty, "Stay beside me, I'm not losing you."

Prim nodded, squeezing his hand. I love you, she sent down the bond, caressing his mind how she wished to caress his face. Orion sent those feelings right back, warming her very soul with his love as their physical bodies set off into a run, I love you too.

She could hardly see anything apart from Orion and the flames. It was boiling, melting her skin with each step they took. Orion, with the power of all courts that had passed down from his mother, summoned the water manipulation inside him. His hands acted as arrows, a wave of his palm in a certain direction had water dowsing the flames that lit the trees. The trees; the forest line that was currently housing hundreds of tents.

As if having the same thought, Orion nodded and that was all it took for Prim to take off in a sprint, her mate behind her trying to drown out the heat. She ran aimlessly, seeing nothing but red as she weaved through the thick trunks, trying not to trip on logs and sticks that blocked her path. She soon reached a small clearing, most of the tents were empty as soldiers tried to control the fire. Prim rushed forward, helping those who had not gotten out the tents yet, Orion trailing her every step. When she crossed the clearing, she looked for someone she recognised:  Thesan, Helion, or even Lucien. 

Prim turned to Orion, "I need to find my dad!"

Confusion flashed on his face, only briefly, before he nodded, following after her as she moved through the trees. The next clearing was just up ahead and she could already hear the grunts of soldiers. The flap of Orion's wings behind her was an oddly comforting sound. People were running past her, trying to escape to the main camp no doubt, away from the fire drowning the forest. Prim could barely feel the heat anymore, it had become like a second skin. This clearing was bigger than the last, more tents and more people. Luckily, Prim noticed Helion immediately, helping two of his soldiers out of a blazing tent.

"Helion!" Prim yelled, moving forward and knowing that Orion was right behind her.

Helion seemed rather relieved to see them. "Orion, where's your father?"

"In the main camp. Have you seen Lucien or Tamlin?" Orion asked, a wing wrapping around Prim's side as they stood amongst the havoc.

Something flashed in Helion's eyes, something that Primrose couldn't quite identify. Fear, perhaps. "No," he muttered. "I haven't seen them since this morning."

Together, they had to be somewhere. They wouldn't have left. No, her father wanted to see her, he wouldn't leave without talking to her. Would he? Prim's chest tightened and Orion's wing only pulled her in closer to his body.

"They might have gone back to the main camp? We might have missed them. What if my fathers looking for me?" Prim breathed, hating how her hands trembled at her sides.

Helion looked around him, at his soldiers, his people. But Lucien was his too, his son, his only child. The High Lord turned back to Prim with a nod, "You go back to the main camp, I'll go and check the other clearings. We'll find them."

"Thank you," Orion smiled, taking Prim's hand and starting to pull her along. "Good luck."

Offering them a smile as he turned, Prim watched Helion disappear through the trees. She looked to Orion, his brow sweaty and his chest heaving with each breath as he pulled her through the woodland. She felt numb, which was almost impossible with the burning sensation that covered her skin. Her feet felt like dead weights, her whole body relying on Orion's strength. It wasn't until a ball of flames surged toward them that Prim came back into her body, pushing Orion out the way as the fire slammed into the tree where his body had just been.

They hit the floor, hard. Prim scrambled, looking desperately around as she protected Orion's body with her own. The person had gone and Orion was scowling as he pushed himself up, cupping Prim's cheeks with his hands. "What are you doing?!" he snapped, pulling her close and wrapping his arms tightly around her.

"It would have hit you," Prim insisted. "I was saving your life."

He shook his head, pressing a kiss to her forehead, "You're an idiot, Primrose Daley. I don't care about my life, all I care about is you. Please don't do that again."

Prim sighed, standing up and pulling Orion with her, "I'll do what I have to do to keep the people I love safe."

They took off again, the forest moving in a blur as they pushed forward. The ache in her thighs was just an annoying tingle, and it wouldn't stop her. As they moved toward the main camp, she could see the flames, taller than the trees. Illyrians were in the air, circling and aiming for those belonging to the Autumn Court. Orion flared his wings, knocking two people aside who had been coming at them. Something silver flashed against the melted snow. Kneeling, Prim pulled out a sword, gripping it tightly by the hilt and holding it up, ready for anyone who may try and attack them.

They moved into the thick of the battle, hitting down anyone who came their way and dodging fireballs that were launched in their direction. She could hardly see Orion, twisting and turning to defeat any Autumn Court soldiers that crossed her path. It was a complete ambush. Luckily, she didn't need to look to know he was okay. She felt that steady figure behind her, felt the strength of their bond that told her he was alright.

"Primrose!"

Prim turned, her sword high, as her eyes zoned in on who had called her. Golden hair, green eyes. Her father. He had a dagger in his hand, a smile on his lips despite the blood splatters on his armour. Just as Primrose was about to step toward him, a blazing circle rose around them. Tamlin was running before she could even blink. He was running, not toward her, but toward Orion. Prim turned, ignoring how her body screamed against the heat on her back, and watched in slow-motion as an Autumn Court soldier threw another fireball, this time aimed at Orion's back, at his wings.

Instead of pushing him away, Tamlin stood in front of Orion, taking the hit in his place and knocking them both back as the force smacked into his chest. Prim let out a scream, it may have been Orion's name, or her father's, but to her, it was just noise. Orion swung around, crawling out from beneath Tamlin. His body just flopped to the side as Orion stood. Primrose lifted her sword, impaling the chest of the soldier who had fired, watching his blood stain her sword as she pulled it back out. He tumbled as Prim turned away, leaving him in the melted snow. Orion knelt beside her father, his body unmoving. His gear had burnt away around his chest, a circular burn mark where he had been hit. His chest rose, just the smallest inch. 

"He's alive," Prim sobbed, falling into Orion's arms as he pulled her slowly away. He was dragging her away, his wings flapping to clear a path through the circle of fire.

Dropping her sword, she pushed against his shoulders, trying to get past, "We can't just leave him! He's alive, Orion, we need to help him."

Orion only tightened his arms around her, pulling her successfully through the circle and out further into the camp, "I know, but it's not safe. We need to go."

Through the flames, she could see her father's body lying there. She would not leave him. Prim kicked out, her foot connecting with Orion's knee. He buckled slightly, but still managed to hold her against him. "Get the fuck off me!" she cried, pushing and kicking against her mate.

His arms tightened on her forearms, "I'm trying to keep you safe!"

Autumn Court soldiers flooded the main camp in flames, the snow nothing but a memory and the forest burning by the second. It wasn't safe and would continue to be so until they won this war. Either way, at Orion's side or not, she wouldn't be safe. "I don't need you to protect me. What I need is to save my dad!" she insisted, hating the pain in her voice.

"Primrose," he pleaded, his hand dropping to grip her palm.

She only shook her head, pressing a firm kiss to his lips before pulling away completely. He let her go this time. "I'm sorry," she whispered, pressing another kiss to his lips before brushing past him and into the flames.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.2K 1.5K 104
❝I dream of a land filled with pine and snow. I gaze at the stars in our sky so I'll never forget, and welcome the darkness because it is kind. They...
97.1K 3.3K 54
Nyx Archeron x OC ***Spoilers for A Court of Silver Flames*** Anya Catalin is finally set free on the world. She's been surrounded by woods and the w...
5.7K 60 33
What happens when the Rowaelin's daughter and Feysands son find out they are mates? Will they live happily ever after, or will the biggest threat th...
112K 3.2K 67
❝You know,' he purred, velvet voice raking talons down her spine, 'I rather like you, princess.' [Cover image CTTO]