Fading Shadows

By YeranJ

The marauders learn of Severus' abusive home. Remus decides a change is in order and decides to befriend Seve... More

I: Unexpected Things
III: First Step
IV: Turmoils of Black
V: Talks and Speculations
VI: Thoughts and Musings
VII: Reluctant Agreements
VIII: Important Information?
IX: Betrayal
X: Caught in a Mess
XI: Help From an Unexpected Source
XII: Escape successful?
XIII: Healing and Plans
XIV: Hogwarts and Bad News
XV: What happened?
XVI: Storytelling and Conclusions
XVII: Night with a Werewolf
XVIII: Epilogue

II: Decisions, decisions

4K 127 47
By YeranJ

Hello. Here's the next chapter. Here's to hoping it's somewhat decent.
             ________________________
Severus was still asleep in the morning that Professor McGonagall came to check up on the boy. She had been up all night and thought about what Poppy had said.

She remembered most time she found the boy outside of classes he would usually have his wand out. She always assumed that he was going to hex the four but now if she clearly thought about it he normally would have a defensive stance or would be angry.

She remembered an event that happened last year.

It was only a week until O.W.L.S and all the childern were in the great hall. The Marauders came running in probably after serving detention. She saw Remus and Sirius go towards Severus who as aways was sitting at the end of the table and not really talking to anyone.

She had always found it odd that he didn't really interact with anyone in school save from Miss Evans and Lucius Malfoy before he graduated.

Remus gave Severus a book that he might have misplaced. He took it all the while looking at them suspiciously. As soon as the two went towards their other friends he sat looked at the book carefully before deeming it safe and putting it in his bag. As soon as he finshed his meal and got up she saw the Marauders leave as well but thought nothing of it as most of the kids were gone by now.

Severus was going to the Slytherin common room but thought better of it and went towards his favourite spot near the Black Lake. His mind oddly felt hazy but he just put it on the stress of upcoming exams. Just as he was about to sit down that the Marauders came towards him. He immediately became on guard.

"What do you want now?"

"C'mon Snape we're just here to ask you a few questions."

He sneered, "And what pray do tell makes you think I'll answer them?"

But Black seemed unfazed. "Alright then where do I begin? Hmmm... I konw let's start with something simple, how many times do you was your hair?"

Severus immediately found himself answering, "I don't wash them normally as the fumes from the potion will make them dirty again."

His eyes widened as he realized what they'd done. They gave him veritaserum. 'But how.. when... where did they..?' Then it struck him. They must have slipped it when they were returning the book he had lost. 'So that's why they didn't do anything, bastards.'

A crowd had begun to gather now."So Snivellous have you ever kissed a girl before?"

The reply was instanteneous, "Never."

The Marauders laughed at this. Remus spun Black around and hissed at him, "You said you wouldn't ask personal questions. That was the only reason I agreed to this."

So it was Lupin that slipped it. Should've known he wasn't as innocent as he looked judging by the fact that he befriended James Potter and Sirius Black.

"Geez it's alright Remus and besides it's just Snape."

He heard that line too many times. As if just being Snape made everything right.

Black turned around again. "So is there any girl you have a crush on?"

"Sirius stop it." Remus protested.

Now Snape fought hard to not answer that question. He bit on his tongue and murmured a quick Silencio before he could reply. He then brought his wand toward them ready to hex one of them and run but before he could do that McGonagall came towards them.

A flicker of hope alighted in Severus's chest but it was crushed as soon as he heard her next words. "10 points from Slytherin Mr Snape for trying to harm a fellow student."

He opened his mouth to protest but McGonagall was having none of it. She looked at him sternly. "Do not say a word Mr Snape. If you are going to break rules then you have to learn to bear the consequences."

'I didn't even do anything. They gave me veritaserum, a potion that is only given in interrogation after the Minister approves it.' He thought to himself. He packed his bag glaring angrily at the ground wishing for time to speed forward to graduation. He went back to his dorm thinking only about the unfairness of it all, the Marauders' laugh echoing in his ears.

Minerva McGonagall was a proud woman but for the first time it would seem she hated herself. That day she should have heard what he had to say but she became biased and thought he, being Slytherin, must have done something wrong. Mr Lupin was right.

Every adult had let him down at every point in his life. She was supposed to be a role model for all Gryffindors and other students alike but she only ended up doing wrong by being far too lenient when strictness was needed and being strict on the wrong person.

Poppy came out of her office and saw Minerva standing near Severus's bed looking thoughtful. She came up to her. "Feeling alright Minerva?"

McGonagall jumped having not heard her come. "Oh Poppy don't scare me like that."

Poppy chuckled clearly amused at her friend's absentmided behavior. "A penny for your thoughts Minerva?"

She sighed looking every bit her age. "I haven't been the greatest of role models Poppy. I thought about what you said. You and Mr Lupin were right. Yes I have been admonished by a student Poppy", she said as soon as she saw Poppy giving her an incredulous look, "I did favor the Gryffindors even when they were in the wrong. I never heard his side of the story and I have been a horrible teacher."

"Minerva relax it's alright." Poppy soothed her distraught friend. "I think I was a bit too hard on you yesterday but seeing him hurt had made me angry. It's so frustrating seeing him come here almost every week hurt in some way or the other. No one did anything to help him. I tried but he just didn't open up to me."

She sighed. "He's a nice boy. Once you get past that prickly exterior that is. And it frustrates me to no end that everyone seems too hate him."

"Well he could've talked to his head of house."

"I don't think he trusts anyone here Minerva. Do you really think he would approach a member of the faculty? Even if it is his head of house."

"What about his house? Surely he must have at least some friends there."

Poppy shook her head, "Sadly that isn't it. There was only one Slytherin he had a good relation with and that was Lucius Malfoy. The rest of them seem to hate him just as much. Most probably becaus he is a half-blood. They only have a give-and-get relation. He helps them in something and they help him."

"Well that truly does explain why he's always alone all the time." Minerva sighed. "What about his mother?"

"His mother is dead Professor." A voice behind Minerva interrupted whatever she was about to say.

Minerva McGonagall turned around to see the source of that statement. Lily Evans stood there looking at the sleeping form of Severus Snape. McGonagall could see sadness and hurt in her eyes. It appeared she wasn't the only one who was feeling guilty.

Poppy was surprised. Everyone thought that both of Snape's parents were alive. "How did she die?" Poppy asked. Minerva held her breath waiting for the answer.

"I don't know. No one does. In fact I only learned she was dead yesterday." she scoffed.

McGonagall spoke up, "You two are friends are you not? How is it that you do not know."

"Professor, he only spoke once about his mother. I asked him one day about a book he was reading. It was an old potions tome I think. He only said 'It was my Mum's.' He sounded so sad and bitter that I didn't ask any further. And that was before we got our Hogwarts letter.

"I-I assuned that he didn't want to talk about her because she was the same as his Dad. But now I think it's because he misses her so much."

She whispered the last parts, muttering them so softly that if it wasn't 5 in the morning the two older woman wouldn't have heard her at all. Poppy had a thoughtful frown on her face. She sighed, "I think that maybe his mother was the only adult Snape felt close to."

"That's not true, he talks to my parents as well." Lily protested.

"He may talk to them the same way he talks to us but have you seen him put his guard down around them?"

"No, not really he's always jumpy when he comes over. Mom and Dad worry about him as well."

"Minerva what do we do now. We need Severus to admit that his father abuses him."

Minerva frowned, "Poppy aren't those scars enough proof already." She gestured to the scars on Severus's arms that were visible.

"No Minerva the ministry demands a statement or the memories of the victim in these cases. Look right now I just want to get Severus back in top health ad at least gain some weight that people won't describe him as a walking living stick"

"Ma'am, can I stay with Severus for today?", Lily cut into their conversation.

"No Miss Evans you may not. You have classes to attend to." Minerva replied sternly. At seeing her crestfallen face her face softened and she told her, "Miss Evans, I know you are worried about Mister Snape but if you will not attend classes then there will be no one to bring Severus his homework."

"And I highly doubt the Slytherins would've cared." Poppy grumbled under her breath. At that Minerva chuckled lightly.

Lily was still worried but thought about what Professor McGonagall had said. She knew her head of house was right. But...

"Madam Pomphrey, can I visit Severus before breakfast and after lunch then?". She then proceeded to plead with the most innocent face she could pull.

"I suppose." Madam Pomphrey said albeit reluctantly. Lily smiled like she had won 30,000 Galleons, thanked Madam Pomphrey and turned to go. But she turned once more and deposited a small letter near Severus's desk. She then left for the Great Hall.

"You should go too Minerva. You have 5th year Gryffindor/Slytherin class and you know how much trouble that will bring." Minerva caused Minerva to once again chuckle but she turned serious.

"Poppy I'm worried for Severus. Will he be alright?"

"Minerva do you doubt my skill as a mediwitch?" She asked in mock anger

"Of course not Poppy." Minerva said annoyed at her friend's joking mood. "It's just that... "

"That you are stressing too much over this. Now I want you to relax and have a little faith in me. I promise that Snape will be in perfect health when he leaves the hospital. I'll even ask him some questions if he would trust me enough. " She was saying all this while shoving her friend unceremoniously out the door. "And take this before you attend class." She handed her a small vial.

"What is it?" Minerva asked, curiosity taking the better of her. "Pepper Up. Now leave please."

And with that the Hospital Wing was closed for visitors.

oOo

Remus Lupin was tired. He was more tired that he had ever felt. He felt more worn down than even after a full moon. And that was saying something. He couldn't sleep at night. If he tried to get sleep he would just see Snape bloodied and hurt, his father looming oner him with a belt in his hand.

Then Snape would change into Remus himself and he'd see his bullies. Taunting him, tormenting him just because he was a werewolf.

He would wake up after that and even then his thoughts would be consumed by Severus and how much of a living hell the Marauders had made his life in school. Remus never had anything against the Slytherin but he had been a coward not to stand up for him in fear of losing his friends.

So he was tired and felt the heavy weight of guilt on his shoulder making him feel as if he was going to be crushed very soon. He would rather have transformed into a werewolf. He usually didn't remember what happened afterwards.

He looked around. His friend were all subdued. No one said anything, and just quitely went about doing what they had to. They walked into the Great Hall still not speaking and made to sit down. James and Sirius started eating. Apparently it lifted their spirits a little because they started talking about Quidditch with Frank.

Either that or they just didn't want people to notice their silence. Remus didn't care either way. He wasn't even hungry and one question kept passing through his mind, 'I wonder how Snape's doing?'

He saw Lily come into the Great Hall looking as if she was announced Queen of all of England. That was a good sign. It means Snape was doing better.

'Lily was a good friend.' Remus's thoughts wandered. 'I wonder what kind of a friend Snape would be?" And then an idea struck him. It would be hard, near impossible in his opinion, but he was a Gryffindor for a reason and Gryffindors weren't anything if not stubborn, noble idiots.

Yes! Remus would do it but he will need Lily's help. Who else to help him when it concerned Severus especially when he was going to befriend him?
           _______________________________
So what do you think. Tell me. K?

Also I'm sorry of someone was OOC or if there were any typos. Thank you for reading.

Your sincerely,
YeranJ.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.2K 1.5K 10
Tales of a baby Damian Wayne and his interactions with his father and brothers. Please comment!
364K 11K 90
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
499K 17.9K 97
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
2.3M 118K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...