Diamonds & Pearls

By PurityInMyHeart

Daleela is fifteen, hormonal, and all around your average teenage Muslim girl. Well, you know, if being a Mus... More

Diamonds & Pearls (1)-The Love That Bloomed
Diamonds & Pearls (2)-The Wedding(Nikah) and After Party(Walimah)
Diamonds & Pearls (3)-When Two Twins Part
Diamonds & Pearls (4)-Saving The New Girl
Diamonds & Pearls (5)-The Big Decision
Diamonds & Pearls (6)-Midteen Crisis
Diamonds & Pearls (7)-My First Love and My Biggest Fan
Diamonds & Pearls (8)-Turbulence Of The Heart
Diamonds & Pearls (9)-First Day Jitters
Diamonds & Pearls (10)-A Blow To The Gut
Diamonds & Pearls (11)-When Death Is Knocking
Diamonds & Pearls (12)-Unconfirmed Confirmations
Diamonds & Pearls (13)-A Muslim Girl's Honor
Diamonds & Pearls (13.2)-A Willingness To Protect (Unofficial Chapter)
Diamonds & Pearls (14)-The Return of My Milk Brother
Diamonds & Pearls (15)-When a Heart Breaks, It Doesn't Break Even
Diamonds & Pearls (16)-I've Been Charmed
Diamonds & Pearls (17)-Battling Desire Under a Waterfall Of Temptation
Diamonds & Pearls (18)-Being Honest Isn't Easy
Diamonds & Pearls (20)-Ready For Battle
Diamonds & Pearls (21)-We Are Never Alone
Diamonds & Pearls (22)-The Bitter Taste of Betrayal
Diamonds & Pearls (23)-Witnessing the Impossible
Diamonds & Pearls (24)-The Plan with Repercussions
Diamonds & Pearls (25)-Lies Undone
Diamonds & Pearls (26)-I Hate You, Don't Leave Me
Diamonds & Pearls (27)-Red Mustangs, Tiger Tattoos, and The Danger of Strangers
Diamonds & Pearls (28)-Complications
Diamonds & Pearls (29)-Prayers In the Dark
Diamonds & Pearls (30)-Ain't No Sunshine
Diamonds & Pearls (31)-And So, The Devil Won This Time
Diamonds & Pearls (32)-Freedom of Body, Peace of Soul
Diamonds & Pearls (33)-Reflection Leads To Redemption
Diamonds & Pearls (34)-Her Name is Me (The Final Chapter)
Diamonds & Pearls-Epilogue
I Need Your Feedback On These Changes

Diamonds & Pearls (19)-Dancing in a Blizzard

35.9K 1.1K 462
By PurityInMyHeart

Previously: Diamonds & Pearls (18)-Being Honest Isn't Easy

We went into the house and I hurried upstairs, preparing to unpin my hijab. I ran straight into a wall and nearly fell down the stairs. The wall grabbed me and placed me steady on my feet. I looked up and it definitely was not a wall. I literally wanted to dive back down the stairs. “W-what are you-”

“If I hadn't grabbed you, you would have fell down the stairs.” Cole responded in awkward defense of touching me. I was stricken speechless by him being here.

“Right,” I said, looking at him sideways. “Why are you in my house?”

“I came to see Rafiq.” He replied hastily. “Can I get by, you're in the way.”

“Rude much...” I grumbled, stepping aside. Cole gave me a weird look before running back downstairs and disappearing around a corner. I stared after him in bewilderment.

 Um... can someone tell me what the bleep just happened?

Diamonds & Pearls

Before You Read: Hey guys! Quick reminder here! If you're delaying a prayer right now to read this story, stop whatever you're doing and go pray! Don't let anything take you away from Allah. Especially not this story. Now if you're all prayed up, go ahead and enjoy this chapter.

CHAPTER NINETEEN-Dancing in a Blizzard

I sat in a dress shop trying not to look bored as my friends shopped for their winter dance outfits. So far no one had found a dress and I had to get to work soon. “How does this one look?” Charice asked, spinning around in a black and white feather dress. I made a face.

“I think the second one you came out in was the best. That one doesn't suit you at all.” I stated bluntly. Charice sighed. “Wait, unless you like it...” I started apologetically.

“No, it looked better on the rack. I just needed a second opinion.” She replied.

I stood up and walked over to another rack. “What about this one Char?” I asked, holding up a sky blue dress. Her eyes widened considerably.

“Oh my god!” She squeaked loudly.

“What is it?” I asked in alarm, glancing back at it..

“That's it, Daleela. That's the dress. Thank you so much!” Charice squealed, completely ecstatic She hugged me tightly and I hugged her back in shock.

“Um...you're welcome.” I replied with a laugh. Charice smiled brightly and I handed her the dress. She hurried back into the dressing room. Jade came out in a gorgeous, shorter dress. It was a mix of purples and blues with an elegant strapless cut. The dress looked unbelievable on her.

“How does it look?” Jade asked, fidgeting around as she waited for an answer.

“That dress is the one. It looks amazing Jade!” I exclaimed, trying to stop myself from jumping up and down. Jade smiled. Charice came out in her dress and they both gasped, staring at each other.

“You look amazing!” They said in unison. I smiled at them brightly before clapping my hands together.

“So ladies, have you found your dresses?” I asked, already knowing the answer. They both responded in the affirmative. “Well then, let's ring up. I still wanna get some ice cream before work.”

We left the little boutique and made our way down the bustling streets, arm in arm. “I really wish you would come with us. It would be the perfect night if you came.” Charice sighed, hugging me sideways as we walked.

“I don't think that's really my scene. I've never had the urge to go to a dance.” I replied honestly. They looked at me in surprise.

“Gosh, you're strange.” Jade said with a grin. “But still awesome in that weird, non-teenage like way.”

We went into the ice cream shop, got our orders, and sat down. “You always get that.” Charice chuckled, gesturing to my ice cream. “Birthday cake ice cream with butter finger and sprinkles. I always watch to see if you'll try something new but you don't.”

I stuck out my lip. “It's my favorite.” I pouted. My friends started laughing. “So who are you guys taking to the dance?” I asked, sticking a spoon full of ice cream into my mouth. Gosh, I'm so in love with this stuff.

“Some guys asked me but not the right ones.” Charice replied with a light groan. “They were all douches.”

“What about you Jade?” I asked, chewing on a mouth full of butter finger candy.

Jade stared down at her ice cream. “No one has asked me yet.” There was a short silence as she played with what was left of her ice cream.

“Well then there are a lot of dumb boys out there if no one has asked you yet.” Charice said, placing her hand on Jade's shoulder. “You're too gorgeous not to have a date.”

Jade smiled a little but I could still see a glint of sadness. “Believe me Jade, someone is going to ask you.” I assured her.

We changed the subject from the dance completely and started a different one. “Are you and Cole a thing?” Charice asked me bluntly. I nearly choked to death.

“What, no!” I replied, wiping my mouth with a napkin. I could see Jade smiling from the corner of my eye. “I told you guys I don't date.”

“I always forget about that.” Charice said, shaking her head in almost disapproval. “Tell me how that works again.”

I sighed rolling my eyes playfully. “You only get married in Islam. Muslims don't date and we don't mingle with the opposite sex. It's an important rule so don't try to set me up with anybody.”

“I don't get it. How do you find your future husband if you don't date?” Charice inquired, her mind churning. “Please don't say arranged marriages.”

“There is nothing wrong with an arranged marriage if you actually agree to it. If you're forced, that's different. You're supposed to have a say in it. Anyway, we kind of interview our potential spouses and get to know each other with someone else present. Our families would get to know each other and we decide if we want to marry each other. If we don't like each other, then there is no problem. We just don't get married to one another.” I said, trying not to laugh as their faces changed completely.

“Just like that?” Jade asked in awe. I nodded.

“Wait, you said your sister is married?” Charice mentioned, twisting a blond lock around her finger as she thought carefully.

“Yeah, she got married like seven months ago.” I said with grin.

“How old is she?” Jade asked next.

“Eighteen,” They both looked at little surprised at my response.

“That's so young.” Charice gasped. Jade agreed with her.

“Ugh, I hate when people say that.” I groaned. “I've seen girls get married at my age and their lives are pretty great but some people aren't mature enough for that.”

“But it's still so young,” Jade insisted. I sighed.

“The thing people don't look at is this. Is it better to go through many boyfriends and maybe even get pregnant young or is it better to search for the person you want to be your partner for life and marry young?” I said, finishing the last of my ice cream. “I say if you're gonna do it, do it right. My mother always says, 'Why keep letting them come back to take milk from the cow for free instead of making them buy the whole cow?' They're getting all the goods with no commitment. Marriage is sacred and I know it seems like something made for many years from now but it really makes no difference as long as you know what you want. Can you imagine your husband being the first man to see your beauty, the first to enjoy living with you, the first to kiss you...”

I paused my rant momentarily and fell into my own thoughts. My future husband wouldn't be the first person to kiss me and that suddenly pained me much more than it had before. When I get married someday, will Cole's kiss still haunt me like this? I prayed not. I was still secretly furious that Cole had stolen that kiss from me, whether it had been intentional or not, the effect was still the same.

“I never thought of it like that. Honestly, it sounds kind of romantic.” Jade said, clasping her hands together and smiling softly. I tried to hide my smile. She was so dramatically adorable.

“It's an interesting concept,” Charice agreed. “But it takes a lot of restraint that I really don't have. You're amazing Daleela because I wouldn't be able to hold out the way you do with Cole.”

I felt my eyes widen. “What?” I blurted, immediately feeling my face heat up.

“Daleela, we're friends. Admitting you like him isn't breaking your code is it?” Charice replied, resting her chin in the palm of her hand.

I stared at my friends, feeling a little jumpy, before finally relaxing. “Yes, I like Cole okay.” I finally admitted, dropping my spoon with a pathetic whimper.

“I knew it!” Jade shouted, hopping out of her chair. People turned to stare in our direction.

“Shh!” I hushed her, pulling her back to her seat.

“I still don't understand what you see in him.” Charice stated, an almost disappointed look in her eye. I turned to her, my lips already prepared to defend Cole, but shut them quickly. That's not going to help at all.

“Why do you hate him so much?” I asked carefully. Charice pursed her lips lightly before responding.

“He's not a good person Daleela. His family has bad history, really bad history.” She replied. “Don't you know that his brother killed two people? He's the brother of a murderer.”

Jade looked at Charice in confusion. “What?”

“His brother didn't do anything.” I said, my heart beating rapidly. I knew that Aiken had been framed for something but I hadn't known it was murder. “He's innocent.”

“What makes you so sure about that?” Charice asked, folding her arms.

“Cole said so,” I muttered, still captive to my swirling thoughts.

“How can you even trust him? He's mental, not right in the head.” Charice said desperately. “He saw a therapist for three years after his dad died. Cole kept trying to frame his step father for a bunch of heinous crimes. His step dad is the brother our senator for the love of God.”

“No one tries to understand what happened to him because they're always looking at him as the bad guy. He is not the bad guy Char, I wouldn't say that to you unless I knew for sure.” I retorted firmly.

“Did Cole say something to you about him being a good person?” Jade asked carefully. She had a worried look in her eyes. “His track record is kinda bad. You shouldn't believe him just because he said to.”

“It doesn't matter what he did or didn't say to me.” I said, glaring at the table. “I owe him enough to at least understand him. He does what he does with reason.”

“Why should you owe him anything? What did Cole ever do for you?” Charice said in annoyance. “All he's going to do is hurt you.”

I let out a laugh and stared out the window intently. I don't know, maybe he saved me from Erik and then put his own mother at risk to blackmail him in order to protect me, I thought with a frown. “I owe him a lot because he has done so much for me. So far, I've hurt him more than he has hurt me. Tell me, what makes him the terrible person you're always going on about? How do you know that he's no good?”

“The stories I've heard about him are terrible, they always have been.” Charice argued, her hand crumpling a napkin. I wasn't going to give up until they saw my point.

“That's right, you've only heard these so called stories. Were they ever from the source?” I asked as Charice's lips set into a thin line.

“Fine,” Charice concurred. “I don't know anything about him that is solid. I'll admit that. But are we talking about the same Cole, Daleela? I can't help but feel like you're being biased because of whatever you feel for him. Or at least because of whatever you think you know about him.”

“I'm not being biased and I don't think I know anything! What I do know for sure is the truth. I don't doubt it in the least either.” I snapped, collecting my things and throwing my ice cream cup away.

“Daleela, don't leave.” Jade pleaded. “Guys calm down okay.”

“I have to go to work now but I'm not upset. I just hate when people judge others a certain way with no true basis for it. It's happened to me for most of my life. Charice, if you just gave him a chance...never mind. I just don't want you to be angry at Marz forever because he was trying to help his friend through a hard time and missed out on time with you.” I touched both of their hands lightly to show that I'd raised the white flag of surrender. “Cole and I aren't close anyway so I don't get why this should matter.” I sighed. “See you guys later, how about we meet up tomorrow?”

I left the ice cream shop and then crossed the street to get to the mall. I was ten minutes early this time and couldn't find Janith, so I got into the baby blue uniform and put on my name tag before signing in. I went into the play area and looked around to see what I could do. Sure enough, Clover and Oliver were arguing again. I sighed, this was the fifteenth time I'd had to split them up and I'd only been working for six days.

I came over and didn't even have to say much before they started spouting accusations. “Clove, Oli, why are you guys fighting again? What did I tell you about that?” I asked softly. They both looking down at their small booted feet.

“He was being an ass.” Clover responded simply. I think Oliver and I both gasped in unison before Oliver started to cry.

“Clover!” I gasped, my mouth hanging open. Oliver climbed into my arms, getting snot and tears on my shoulder.

“What?” She asked with a pout, placing her hands on her small hips.

“How could you say something like that? That is a very bad word.” I chided with a stern look as I patted Oliver on the back. I stood up, still holding Oliver, and grabbed Clover's hand.

She looked up at me with angry little green eyes. “My big brother says ass is not a bad word. It means donkey. Why do you think Shrek called donkey a jackass? Because donkey was a donkey.” Clover argued defiantly. I almost wanted to laugh but that would be inappropriate in the current situation.

“It is a bad word for kids to say. You hurt Oliver's feelings and I think you need to apologize.” I said, staring at her intently. “Don't even think about not apologizing because you'll go straight to the naughty corner.”

I saw tears gather in her eyes before she turned to Oliver spitefully. “I'm sorry you're an ass.” Clover said with a smirk. What the heck? This little three year old was way too big for her britches. I was starting to think that with all that sass and cleverness, there was no way that she was her age.

“Clover, apologize the right way or we'll call your parents down here.” I commanded, putting Oliver down. He had stopped crying and was looking at Clover with a mean glare.

“Fine,” She whined, stomping her feet. “I'm sorry for hurting your feelings Oli.”

“Do you accept her apology Oliver?” I asked with a small smile. I stared at the boy expectantly.

“Nope,” He said angrily before stalking off to play with a sweet little girl named Aria.

“See, he always leaves me when he gets mad.” Clover said, tears falling from her eyes. This was the first time I'd actually this little girl cry. She was always acting tough, so it surprised me. I sat down on the floor and looked her in the eye.

“Maybe he wouldn't leave if you were a little nicer to him.” I suggested lightly.

“I am nice! He always acts like a wuss though.” She snapped, wiping away her tears. I sighed and smiled. She must only have brothers. I could just tell right off the bat.

“Maybe if you just were a little bit nicer than you are now, he'd stop getting so upset.” I said, wiping her tears. “I can show you how to be nice to him.”

Clover glared at a stack of leggos as her little mind turned. “Okay,” She said softly. I spent fifteen minutes working up a plan before little Clover finally bit her lip and walked over to Oliver and Aria. “Oli, sorry for being mean to you. I was wrong, can we be friends again?” She asked him, holding out a lollipop. Oliver looked at her for a second and nodded.

“Yup, we can be friends.” He replied, taking her hand and pulling her to sit with him and Aria. She sat down and then looked over at me. I gave her two thumbs up and urged her to continue.

“Aria, do you wanna lollipop too?” Clover asked timidly. Aria looked up in surprise before smiling brightly and nodding. Clover handed her the lollipop and I stood on the other side of the room rooting for her with silent gestures. Clover smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up with her tiny hands before beginning to play with the other children. I cleaned up the leftovers from lunch time with two other workers. After that I hurried to tend to the smaller babies alongside a girl named Jessica. She was always really sweet to me and showed me everything I needed to know. We were becoming quick friends.

“Hey, Leela. Can you check up front? Someone is standing at the front desk.” Jessica asked, fixing a bottle. I nodded with a smile and hurried to see what was going on.

A tall man in all black stood with his back to me. His hair was a deep black and nearly shoulder length. I carefully slid behind the desk. “Hello sir, may I help you?” I asked, attempting to see his face. Fortunately for me, he turned in surprise at the sound of my voice. He was wearing dark tinted sunglasses and I immediately recognized him. I could see that deep scar that ran over his cheek and knew immediately that he was the Muslim man from the other day. “Assalamu Alaikum.” I greeted timidly.

“Wa alaikum assalam.” He replied, stuffing his hands into his pockets. He was wearing black slacks, a black button up dress shirt, and a black trench coat that went perfectly with the dark shades and his hair. He had hair on his chin and a nicely trimmed mustache. I couldn't tell what he was thinking as he stared at me because I could see his eyes at all. “I was just coming to see how my nephew was fairing. My sister wanted me to check up on him. May I see him?” The man said in an English accent. Under normal circumstances, I would have totally swooned.

I thought about it carefully. “I have to check with my boss first. What's your name?” I asked, pulling out a piece of paper and preparing to write. When I looked up, the corner of his mouth lifted slightly.

“My name is Mahmud Leeson. My nephew's name is Oliver Leeson.” He responded and I wrote it down quickly with a grin.

“Oliver is a total sweetheart...I'll be right back.” I said, hurrying off to find Janith. She confirmed that Mahmud Leeson was in fact a person who stopped by often. Janith didn't bother to go into details but informed me that even though he had rough looks, the kids loved him sincerely. I must say that by no means was he ugly, he just had this unapproachable vibe. I walked back to the front and gave him a name tag like Janith told me to, then led him to where Oliver was.

“Mr. Black, you're here!” Oliver shouted, running into the man's arms. I found it weird that he called him Mr. Black instead of uncle. I mean the man's last name was Leeson anyway. Had he lied to me? He picked Oliver up with a small smile. Almost every child in the room looked up with a sparkle in their eyes. About twelve of them stood up and ran to cling to the man's legs. I couldn't help but grin as they flooded him with questions. I noticed they called him Mr. Black too. The man looked around as if he was searching for something.

“Oliver, where's your friend Clover?” He asked, still looking around. I wish I could see his eyes for some weird reason. I kept wondering what was hidden under those sunglasses.

“Clover?” Oliver whined, folding his arms. “I thought you came to see me. You only ever care about Clover.”

“I came to see everyone kid.” Mr. Black said, the side of his mouth lifting in a smile. “That's why I asked about Clover too.”

“She went to the potty.” Oliver sighed. He turned his head sideways and stared at the man. “Hey your hair isn't brown no more. How did it turn black?”

“Oliver sweetie, don't ask Mr. Black personal questions.” Janith called out before looking at me nervously. It didn't seemed like a personal question to me. I found myself shrugging it off. “Daleela, can you check on Clover. The smaller children aren't allowed to go the bathroom alone.”

I nodded and hurried off to do my job. When I got to the bathroom, Clover was already at the kiddy sink washing her hands. I smiled at her independence.

“Hey Clove, did you wash yourself well?” I asked, folding my arms in amusement.

“Of course,” She replied, attempting to reach for the paper towels. I pulled some down for her. “My mommy says a girl has gotta be clean always.”

I took her hand with a smile before walking outside the bathroom. “Well your mommy is right.”

“Mr. Black!” Clover screeched, breaking away from me. The man put Oliver down before crouching down to embrace the little girl. She ran into his arms and he hugged her tightly. Something about the hug made me tear up. He stroked the back of her head with a gentle touch. The man pulled away and grabbed the child's face in his hands.

“How have you been little one?” He asked with a broken voice, running his thumb over her cheek affectionately.

“Good.” Clover replied with a grin. “Well, good and not good.” She mumbled, her grin dropping.

“What do you mean?”

“My dad said I can't talk about it.” Clover frowned. “Where have you been?”

The man in black looked as if he were in deep thought. He snapped out of it quickly. “I've been a little busy with work.”

“You could have visited.” Oliver said bitterly.

“I know, I'm sorry. I tried to visit a few days ago but you guys got picked up before I got here.” He responded, ruffling their hair.

“What happened to your face Mr. Black?” Clover asked, reaching a small hand out. She touched the scar on his face and I saw him tense visibly. He gently removed her hand from his cheek.

“I got injured at work.” He replied, standing up. “Who wants candy?” He asked all of a sudden. Everyone jumped up and down as he handed out small bags of candy. I continued my work, keeping an eye on the mysterious man. He just spent the evening playing games like duck duck goose with them. Several times I found myself smiling and laughing at how silly he was being with the kids.

It was just fifteen minutes left until I could get off of work. I sighed, sitting at the front desk. I was doing Janith and Jessica a favor by checking off the children who'd come in today. I waited patiently for the time to clock out. I must admit that I was ready to go home. Working is more tiring than I'd imagined but it would all be worth it when I got my first pay check. “Excuse me,” A male voice said.

“I'm so sorry sir, I didn't see you there.” I said, looking up. When I did look up at him, I nearly had a heart attack as fear went through me. I stood up with wide eyes, slowly backing away.

“Is something wrong miss?” The man in front of me asked with a frown. I tried to speak but I couldn't so I shook my head quickly.

“W-who are you here for sir?” I asked, my heart beating painfully hard.

“My name is Jim Howards, I'm here for my daughter...Clover Howards.” He replied. Clover? No way... there was no freaking way that sweet little Clover was his daughter.

He was staring at me like a mental patient. I looked up Clover's register on the computer and sure enough there were three names on it for pick up. Erik Howards, Jim Howards, and Alayna Howards. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. “Alright Mr. Howards. I'll be right back with Clover. Please sign this sheet.” I managed to say with a rehearsed smile. I turn on my heels and hurry to the back. Janith was no where in sight. She told me to always check with her before I let any child go home. I looked around and the man in black was gone along with Janith. Two other women were watching the kids.

I walked to the supply closet and found Janith in a heated conversation with Mr. Black. “You said that he never comes here.” The man growled. “Damn it Jan, are you trying to get me killed for real this time!”

“I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. He doesn't come here usually, it's always his wife. I thought it would be okay for you to see her here A-” Janith said frantically.

“Don't you dare say that name here.” Mr. Black snapped sharply. I was too confused to even try and understand their weird conversation.

“Janith,” I interrupted cautiously. My hands were shaking visibly. I saw the man in black look down at them before his lips pressed together in what seemed like anger. “Mr. Howards is here to pick up his daughter.”

“Oh my!” Janith screeched, looking at me in surprise. Apparently she hadn't seen me and I'd just scared her out of her wits.

“Can she go with him?” I asked, holding my hands together to stop them from shaking.

“Yes, sign her out. It's her father.” Janith replied, her professionalism returning quickly. I hurried back up front, dressed Clover in her coat and shoes, then took her to her father. They prepared to leave and Clover looked sad. She was no where near as happy as I child should be to see her father.

“Bye!” She waved to me as they left. I waved back, my eyes burning. That little girl with dark hair and green eyes was Cole's little sister. I felt my heart sink. How was this happening? Mr. Black hurried out of the day care a long while later, looking both ways before walking outside. My shift was officially over with. I changed out of my work clothes and quickly left with Zayna after she arrived to pick me up.

* * *

I sat with Rafiq at lunch, my nerves on edge. I couldn't stop my leg from jumping up and down. I didn't bother saying anything to Rafiq. He hadn't been the same since he'd gotten the news about Aiken's death. Not many jokes were uttered and Cole was a million times worse. They usually sauntered around together, a silent depression clinging to each of them. I'd come to realize that they were grieving in their own way and I didn't interfere or say anything. What worried me most was Cole's constant visits to my house and their whispering. Every time I showed up, they shut up almost immediately.

“Daleela!” Charice shouted. I jumped, knocking over my juice. Both Charice and Jade sat across from me, obviously waiting for the response to a question I hadn't heard.

“What?” I sputtered, my mind no longer prisoner to the persistent thoughts of what had happened at my job.

“Can't you please come to the dance anyway? Even though you have no date...well don't date. However you want to put it, none of us have dates. We could just go with each other.” Charice suggested, her face hopeful. “Plus, I'm running for Ice Princess. I want you to be there if I win.”

“I'll ask my parents.” I responded with a lame smile. She grinned in satisfaction.

“As much as I love you guys, I still wish I could have had a date.” Jade sighed, her lips in a pout.

“Who needs boys,” Charice said, putting her arm over Jade's shoulder. “They're total party poopers.” We started laughing.

“Sorry to be a party pooper then ladies,” Marz said, plopping down beside Jade. He turned to her with a smirk. Charice let her arm drop from Jade's shoulder. “But I would like to say something to you.”

Jade looked startled before a blush spread across her face. “What is it?” She asked curiously.

“I seemed to have misplaced my date and you happen to look exactly like her.” Marz said, pulling a pink rose from behind his back and handing it to her. Slowly, a smile spread across Jade's face as she looked up into Marz's charming face. He gently took her hand. “Will you do me the honor, pretty lady, of going to the winter dance with me?”

I smiled, excited as I waited for Jade to answer him. Jade frowned suddenly before looking over at Charice. She gave Jade a tiny smile before Jade turned back to Marz. “Yes, I'll go to the dance with you.” She finally replied, biting her lip.

Marz hopped up, pumping a fist into the air. “Yes!” He hissed before performing a brief Michael Jackson move. Jade put a hand over her mouth to keep from laughing. He left the cafeteria on an all time high. After he'd gone, I grinned at Jade like a fool as she breathed in the scent of the pink rose.

“I knew he was going to ask you.” I giggled. A deep blush flushed over her dark brown features. I got up and hugged her from behind. “That was freaking adorable, I told you some one would be sensible enough to ask you!”

Charice stood up slowly. “Congratulations Jade, I'm so happy you got a date.” She said, giving her a hug. “Catch up with you guys later. Daleela don't forget to ask your parents.”

“Alright, see you later.” I replied, waving after her. After Jade and I finished our food, we went our separate ways. When I got to my locker a guy was standing there. I stiffened immediately but kept walking. He looked Spanish, tall, and well built. The total definition of a handsome macho hunk.“Um, excuse me...I need to get into my locker.”

He gave me a sweet smile before moving out of the way. As I dug through my locker, I realized that he wasn't making any move to leave. I turned to him with frown. “Is there something you need?” I asked impatiently. He shoved his hands inside his pockets nervously before speaking.

“I was wondering...I mean if you want to...would you like to go to the dance with me?” He asked nervously in an adorable Spanish accent. It made him ten times more handsome. I was utterly surprised at the question and had to replay his words in my head several times before they made any sense. Before I could let him down easy, I heard a loud bang as Cole suddenly slammed his fist against our locker door. I turned to look at him in alarm. He was glaring at the boy, fire in his eyes. You'd think he was shooting laser beams from his eyeballs.

“She doesn't date and even if she did, you're not her type.” Cole spat venomously. The poor guy looked scared out of his wits. Cole walked closer to him. “What are you still doing here? Get lost!” He growled.

“I'm sorry,” He sputtered, his accent making him seem incredibly innocent. I felt terrible as he basically ran from me. You'd think a lion was about to tear him apart. Well...Cole can be very predator like.

“What the hell?” I snapped, turning to glare at him. He wasn't looking at me as he began taking books from our locker. “I could have handled that in a much better way. And what the heck do you know about my type?”

Cole zipped his bag up and slammed the locker shut. “All you would have done was beat around the bush and made him think he still had a chance with you. I just made things a lot easier. You're welcome.” Cole snapped coldly before stalking past me to get to class. Jerk! Was he saying that that's what I'd done to him? I swear he just makes me want to punch him sometimes.

I went straight to English and once again forgot that our classes were merged. I resisted the urge to groan aloud when I saw that the only two free seats were beside and behind Cole. I sat down in the desk beside him and buried my face in a book. He didn't bother me and I could have jumped with joy when I realized that his attention wasn't on me at all. Well, that was until Aimee Hale sat herself right behind Cole. She leaned forward and whispered something into his ear. I cringed, my grip tightening on my pen.

“Aw come on Cole, don't be boring. I lose interest fast.” She moaned into his ear.

“Oh please do.” Cole said with a roll of his eyes.

Aimee smirked. “You know you love the attention.”

All of a sudden Cole turned to look at her eye to eye. His face kept getting closer and closer to hers. Aimee licked her lips slightly, a hungry look in her eyes. Was he seriously going to do this with me sitting right here? My jaw clenched reflexively as I watched them from the corner of my eye. “Aimee, you remember when you kissed me the other day?” He whispered, his lips not even a whole two inches from her face.

Cole turned his head slightly as if he would start making out with her at any moment. “Of course I remember.” She responded, trying to get a hold of his lips but Cole kept teasing her.

“Well honestly...I can't seem to forget about it.” Cole said softly, getting closer. Was this jerk serious? I prepared to get up and leave, tightly gripping my book bag.

“I knew you couldn't forget about me.” Aimee murmured into his ear with a smirk.

“I think you're confused. Actually, the reason I can't seem to forget about it is because it took two days to wash the god awful taste out of my mouth.” Cole snapped before lightly pushing her back into her chair. His lip twitched in amusement at her expression before he turned around and continued writing in his notebook. I couldn't help but smile as I turned my attention back to my book. Cole had officially erased all of his jerk points for the day.

* * *

The dance was tomorrow and I was going or at least had my mind set on it. But not for the reasons that anyone thought I would be. I just wanted to support my friend. “Zayna promised that she'll supervise and Rafiq will be with me. I'm going to show support for my friend Charice. She's running for the title of Ice Princess and she begged me to come. I don't want to let her down.” I pleaded with my parents. My mother looked skeptical and my father's face was more of a flat out hell-to-the-naw.

“Absolutely not.” My father declared with a frown.

“Sweetheart, come on. Zayna will be going with her. She told me Rafiq and Noor are going too.” Ummi said, trying her best to reason with Abi.

“Boys, music, mingling, and Allah knows what else. No.” Abi repeated, his face reminding me of Zayan. Why are the men in our family so stubborn?

“How about this,” I began to compromise as my parents turned to look at me. “I just stay until the Ice Prince and Princess are crowned. Then I'll leave right after.”

My parents seemed to be thinking about it carefully. “Alright,” My father finally said after a long pause. I hopped up and hugged him from behind.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you.” I repeated over and over, kissing his cheek repetitively. I could feel him grinning. My mom gave me a little wink and I smiled.

“What time is the dance tomorrow?” He asked in a weary tone.

“It's at seven.” I replied, trying not to seem too happy.

“Alright, I want you back at a reasonable time and I'll be checking in with Noor.” Abi said before grabbing me in a loose head lock. “Rafiq keep a good eye on this one, she's a trouble maker.”

“No I'm not!” I laughed, trying to get out of my dad's headlock. He kissed me on the cheek before releasing me. I fixed my hair and clothes with a grin.

* * *

I hurriedly got into the back seat of Zayna's car. Noor had bought it for her a week ago. He sat in the passenger seat and Zayna was driving us. They were both dressed like they were going to prom or something. Rafiq sat beside me yanking at his tie. He kept mumbling about it being itchy. He was wearing a gray suit and I thought it was adorable. I hadn't bought anything new to wear since I hadn't planned on going to the winter dance in the first place. I just wore one of Zayna's old dresses. It was a purple dress that I had to wear with sleeves. The best thing about it was the level of comfort I felt while wearing it. I usually stick to jilbabs but the dress seemed just as airy and modest. My purple hijab covered any parts that were too tight. Not to mention the fact that I was wearing a thick black faux fur coat.

While we were driving, snow began to fall. Zayna let down the window at my request and I let the snow fly into my face. I was so excited to see the snow. Winter was my favorite season after all. When we arrived, the school was pretty much packed. Rafiq opened the door for me and held his arm out. I took it gratefully and he sighed as we started walking. We went inside the school and made our way straight to the gym. The lights we had set up made the decorations sparkle in a romantic way. The setting had turned out beautifully with hundreds of snow flakes hanging from the ceiling. Many people were dancing already and instead of a live band, Dante was dj-ing for everyone. I turned around and could immediately see Charice standing by the drinks table alone in her pretty sky blue dress. “Zayna, I'm going to go over there with my friend okay.” I stated, turning to my sister. Zayna told me to go ahead and I hurried to where she was.

“Charice,” I called, grabbing her arm. She jumped in alarm before getting a good look and realizing it was just me.

“Daleela!” She shouted over the music, pulling me into a hug. “I'm so glad you're here. I didn't think you'd come.”

“I had to figure out a way to get here. You seemed to need a friend.” I replied, patting her back. “Did you ever find a date?” I asked, looking around.

She shook her head. “No, truthfully everyone that asked me, I rejected them. The one person I wanted to ask me wouldn't do it because he's stuck on someone else...” Charice said dejectedly. Her gaze went to something behind me. I turned to look but couldn't spot what it was she was looking at. All I saw was Dante and Rafiq standing behind the turntables. Wait, had she wanted one of them to ask her?

When I turned around to ask her she was gone. I thought it was kind of weird that she'd disappeared like that. I turned in circles trying to find her face. I pushed through the dancing teens but she was no where to be found. My phone buzzed. I removed it from my pocket and took a quick look at it. It was Ummi. I hurried outside of the gym before answering the phone. “Assalamu alaikum.” I greeted, still trying to get away from the booming sounds of the music within the gym.

“Wa alaikum assalam sweetie.” Ummi responded. “Are you guys okay? It's snowing pretty bad outside.” She asked worriedly. I grinned over her calling me just for that.

“We're fine, we made it about fifteen minutes ago.” I said to her, looking around. The hallway I was in was empty but there was a mass of something on the floor at the very end of it. It made me nervous.

“Oh, well alright. I didn't mean to spoil anything, just wanted to be sure you made it there alright. Be careful on the way back home. This snow fall is starting to get heavier by the minute.” My mother rambled. I was too busy inching towards the mass on the floor at the other end of the hallway.

“Okay Ummi, we will.” I replied distractedly.

“Love you. Assalamu alaikum.” She said, preparing to get off the phone.

“Love you too, wa alaikum assalam.” I mumbled before hanging up and stuffing my phone into my pocket. I was close enough now to realize that the mass on the floor was a person. I was scared now. What if they were dead or something? I crouched down and poked the person gently. I couldn't see who it was because they had a hat over their face. I was too scared to remove it.

“Hey,” I whispered, poking the body. There was no response. I tried again. No response. “Hey!” I shouted and kept poking. The person shot up with a groan.

I screamed and fell on my behind before scooting backward until my back hit the wall. The hat fell away as the person turned around to face me. I sighed in relief when I saw who it was. “Who goes there?” Cole asked, his eyes droopy. He slumped his body against the lockers behind him.

“Cole, what the hell? You scared the crap out of me!” I yelled, holding a hand over my heart. Cole turned his head to look me up and down.

“Oh, you're the weird girl.” He responded dismissively. I looked at him with a glare. What the heck was wrong with him? I crawled a little closer to investigate. He closed his eyes and then opened them again as if he was resisting the urge to fall asleep. His eyes closed once more and didn't open again. I hurried over to him.

“Cole!” I said loudly. His eyes opened and he stared at me before laughing.

“I forgot about you. You aren't just weird, you're pretty.” He mumbled, swinging a finger through the air as he said this. I stared at him in shock before I finally decided on what was wrong with him. He was drunk. His breath explained that very clearly. “Did I ever tell you that Pocahontas?”

“You stink,” I said in disgust, covering my nose.

“And you smell like soap.” He whispered back, leaning toward me. He raised an eyebrow in what I guessed he thought was a seductive way.“I like soap.” He then proceeded to giggle. I made a horrified face. Cole doesn't giggle, he scowls and growls but he does NOT giggle. Just how much did this fool drink?

“You're drunk Cole.” I sighed, folding my arms in annoyance.

“There's supposed to be a captain in there somewhere woman. Am I drunk with love or drunk with grief?” He asked, looking up at the ceiling and shaking his head. “Today, it's love. Yesterday, it was pie. Tomorrow...man does not know what will happen tomorrow.” He said crossly, making wild gestures.

“What the heck are you saying? You're drunk from alcohol not love or pie.” I groaned, standing up. He attempted to stand with me and nearly fell backward. I caught him without thinking about it. Our faces were terribly close and he stared into my eyes drunkenly, a tear suddenly falling from his right eye.

“Are you sure I'm drunk from alcohol? This doesn't feel like alcohol.” He whispered, a hand going to my cheek. His eyes searched mine before a pained expression passed over his features.“Oh yeah, you don't like me being lovey dovey. I was going to kiss you again but I forgot that you slap people. You like ducks don't you? You look like you like ducks. Do you slap them too?”

I rolled my eyes and dropped Cole purposely. He rolled over and groaned in pain. I dusted my dress off and put my hands on my hips. “I wouldn't have had to slap you if you took heed to two words; personal space.” I snapped.

“Why did you drop me! I think you broke my butt bone.” He moaned, sitting up dizzily. “You evil, man dropping, cheek slapping, duck lady.” He said before falling backward and passing out again.

What was I supposed to do now? I sure as hell was not about to carry him. He's like what, six foot one and a hundred forty something pounds of muscle? The odds were not on my side. Maybe I could drag him by the foot. Ugh, that would start rumors. Really weird rumors. I stomped over to him, crouching down again.

“Cole,” I said, shaking him lightly. It took a long while before he opened his eyes slowly and looked at me. It was weird because he wasn't looking at me like he saw me, he was looking at me like he was seeing someone else. Tears began to gather in his brown eyes.

“Aiken,” He murmured, a tear falling down the side of his face. “I don't know what to do anymore.” He sobbed all of a sudden. I started panicking. Was he hallucinating now?

“Cole, I'm not Ai-” I started but he wasn't listening.

“Should I just endure it?” He cried, his face contorted in sorrow. “I can't do this alone...I can't.”

“Cole,” I murmured softly. I felt tears gathering in my own eyes as Cole tried to sit up but failed.

“Why did you leave all of this up to me?” He screamed, the tears falling harder. “I'm only sixteen! I'm supposed to be enjoying my life. Not working it away.”

My mouth hung open. He really thought I was his brother. “I'm sorry,” I apologized, trying to fill the void that Cole was feeling. “You shouldn't have to go through this.” A minute or so passed and he stared up at the ceiling, no longer screaming. He slowly looked over at me.

The tears continued to gather in his eyes as his brows knitted together in confusion. “D-Daleela?” He questioned, unsure of himself. I nodded, unable to stop the tears that fell from my eyes. He lifted a hand to my face and wiped a few tears. Then he let his hand drop. “Why are you crying?”

“No reason,” I said, wiping my eyes quickly. He stared up at me, more tears falling from his own eyes. He was oblivious to them for some reason.

“Don't cry,” He begged me, sitting up on his elbows. “Please don't cry. You're too pretty when you cry.”

I stared at him carefully. This was definitely the alcohol talking. Yet it didn't stop my heart rate from speeding up. “Why did you drink?” I asked him as he stared at me, his gaze unusually soft.

“When you cry it makes it even harder for me to resist you.” He mumbled gently, ignoring my previous question. He reached out to me but I scooted backward, trying to get away from his words and his touch.

“Why did you drink, you idiot?” I asked quietly. “Now you're saying things you'll regret later.”

“Why did I drink?” He asked himself, laying back down on the cold floor. “I don't remember drinking. I don't ever drink because when I drink, I get drunk.” Cole chuckled.

I stood up and looked down at him. He was staring through me. “I'll be back. Stay right here.” I said, clearing my throat. I wiped my face once more.

“Bye duck lady.” He called after me. I rolled my eyes and kept walking. When I got back inside, music was still blasting. Zayna and Noor were standing by a refreshments table, their arms around each other. Well so much for my supervision.

“Daleela,” I heard Jade shout. I recognized that accent anywhere. I turned around and she was already hugging me. “You're here! You swore up and down that you wouldn't come.”

“I didn't want to let you guys down.” I replied with a grin. I looked around in curiosity. “Where's Marz?”

“Over there,” She whispered excitedly. “When he picked me up, he totally kissed me on the cheek!”

I wanted to laugh at how crazy happy she was but instead I decided on a more appropriate response. “Oh em gee, seriously?” I asked. She grabbed my hands and started jumping up and down.

“I can't believe it either.” She said, totally swooning. I couldn't help but laugh.

“You're too adorable and you look amazing Jade. The dress looks even better now.” I stating, squeezing her shoulder. My mind suddenly reminded me of the fact that Cole was still laying in the hallway outside. “I have to go do something, have you seen Charice?” I asked quickly.

“No, she disappeared.” Jade said with a frown. Why was that starting to worry me in the back of my mind?

“Okay, I'll be back.” I said before racing off to the turntables. “Dante, Cole's drunk.” I said as loudly as I dared. Dante couldn't hear me. He was holding a headphone set to his right ear and using his left hand to spin the table. I took my clutch purse thing and poked him with. He somehow kept doing what he was doing while looking at me in annoyance.

“What do you want?” He shouted while remixing a song called down.

“I need your help!” I shouted back. Dante gave me a long look before finishing out the song. He then put on a playlist and gestured for me to lead the way. We hurried off the stage.

“Now what is going on?” Dante asked in his usual gentle voice. I appreciated him for not being like Marz. Dante was laid back and mostly kept out of trouble. He was the total opposite of Cole too.

“It's your friend, he's out in the hall. Cole's so drunk that he thought I was his older brother.” I said quickly. Dante's expression turned to one of honest confusion.

“What are you talking about? Cole does not drink. He has a terrible reaction to alcohol and he hates the taste.” He said, looking at me like I must have it all wrong. “If he even drinks the smallest bit of alcohol, he goes crazy. He was so out of the first time we drank alcohol that he kissed me.” Dante continued with a disgusted expression. He shivered, obviously still horrified by the incident. I made a face.

“Okay, that's nasty.” I said, trying not to laugh at Dante's expression. “You should come see what I'm talking about. He is acting like a completely bipolar goofball.”

“Come on,” Dante said, placing a hand on his neck.

“Can you wait one second, I need to tell my sister where I'm going.” I replied apologetically.

“Okay, please hurry up.” Dante said before heading to the doors that led out of the gym.

I walked over to Zayna and Noor awkwardly. They were holding each other closely and swaying back and forth. I found myself staring for a second as they pressed their foreheads together and laughed at something I couldn't hear. Noor leaned down and stole a quick kiss. Zayna stared up in him before blushing and looking around. She grinned and then quickly pecked him on the lips. I smiled at the beauty of their relationship. I hoped that they would never lose their love for each other.

Oh Allah, please give me something like that. I prayed silently. For some reason my eyes burned at the thought of something that amazing.

“Um, Zayna.” I finally interrupted. She wasn't paying any attention but Noor saw me. He gave me a quick smile before whispering in Zayna's ear. Zayna immediately turned to look at me.

“What's up sis?” She asked me.

“I was about to go out in the hallway. I wanted to tell you where I was so you wouldn't freak out or anything.” I responded awkwardly.

“Okay, go ahead.” She said, straightening out her hijab. “I'll come check on you if you're gone too long.”

“Alright,” I said with a nod. I ran over to where Dante was standing across the gym. “Let's go.”

He opened the door for me and I led the way. When we got to where Cole was, Dante ran over to him. He was fast asleep against the lockers. “Cole!” Dante shouted, lightly slapping his face. Cole made no sign of response but his friend kept trying.

“Let me try,” I mumbled to Dante. He moved aside with no complaints. “Cole!” I shrieked loudly. Cole not only woke up, he grabbed me by the shoulders and flipped me so that my back was on the floor. He was leaning over me, his face lingering over my own.

“Sleeping Beauty,” He murmured, puckering his lips. I pushed his face away with my hands as he kept trying to attack my face with kisses.

“Oh my god, chill out you pervert!” I screamed. A few seconds later, Cole's unrelenting weight was off of me, thank Allah.

“Alright that's enough bro.” Dante said, holding back his arms tightly. “Are you alright?” He asked me. I nodded, standing wearily.

“He's starting to fade out again.” I responded, gesturing to Cole's body.

“This is terrible.” Dante grunted, holding him up. “We have to sober him up. He probably only drank a little. It doesn't take much for him to get this way.”

I thought about it carefully. A light bulb lit up in my head. “Meet me in the guys bathroom down the hall.” I said before taking off in the other direction. I made it to the Janitor's closet in record time, digging through it frantically. “Bucket, bucket, bucket...bucket!” I squeaked in success.

I ran to the boys bathroom as fast as I possibly could, sliding across the floor when I nearly passed it. I went inside and I could hear the sounds of someone throwing up what seemed like their insides. “Dante, you here?” I called timidly.

“Yeah Daleela, we're in here.” He called back. I sighed in relief. I walked all the way inside. I could see Cole's legs sticking out of a stall. When I got closer, I could also see Dante whacking his friend on the back lightly as he spilled his guts into the toilet bowl.

“Is he gonna be alright?” I asked, unable to keep the worry out of my voice.

“He'll be fine.” He said with a deep sigh.

“Make it stop.” I heard Cole moan. It made me cringe when he began to gag again. It sounded horrible. I hurried over to the sink and filled the bucket in my hand with ice cold water. I'm sure this would at least wake him up a little. If not, I was at a loss for what else to do.

“What are you gonna do with that?” Dante asked, walking over to the sink. The bucket was almost filled to the brim. I turned the faucet off.

“Pour it on him of course.” I replied, pulling the bucket out of the sink with much struggle.

“Here, let me.” He said, taking the bucket.

“Thanks,” I muttered, wiping my wet hands off on my dress.

“Don't you think it would be better to just dunk his head in it?” Dante wondered. He placed the bucket on the floor.

“Probably,” I replied. I had to admit that it would be a lot more liberating for me if I could just pour it on him.

“We'll do that then.” Dante decided. “He'll try to kill us both if we just pour it on him.” He chuckled lightly.

Cole finally crawled out of the stall. “Water,” He rasped. Dante and I looked at each other briefly. Before we could make our move though, Cole grabbed the bucket and dunked his face in it. We could hear him gulping loudly. Dante and I face palmed ourselves simultaneously. Cole brought his face out of the bucket before pushing it away. He grunted, wiped his mouth, and stood up. He looked from me to Dante with a delirious gaze. “What the hell? Where am I?”

I rolled my eyes. “Are you sober now?” I asked impatiently. He looked at me like I was insane.

“I don't drink.” He growled, stumbling over to the sink. Cole grabbed the edge of it, trying not to tumble to the floor. “What the hell...is wrong with me?” He groaned, grabbing his head.

“Dude, you were drunk so you had to have had something.” Dante snapped. “You know how alcohol gets you, why would you do that?”

“I didn't have anything!” Cole roared, turning around to glare at Dante. He was still holding his head, wincing in pain.

“Cole, think back carefully. What happened?” I asked, my tone softer. He closed his eyes. Dante and I looked at each other worriedly, then turned our attention back to Cole.

“Aimee Hale, that b----!” Cole growled, his eyes snapping open.

“She did this?” I asked crossly, my fists clenching at my sides.

“I remember it clearly. I picked up a drink and she told me it was hers. Then she gave me one that she was holding. I thought it tasted weird but I drank it anyway.” Cole said, slamming his hand against the counter. “She took me outside and the rest is fuzzy.”

“What is that on your neck?” Dante asked suddenly. He moved closer to his friend. Cole leaned towards the mirror to look at his neck, his eyes widening. He quickly loosened the tie he was wearing and undid a few buttons of his shirt angrily. There was a trail of red lip marks that went to the middle of his chest. There were words written in lipstick that went all the way to his belly button. I averted my eyes, knowing that that's not somewhere I should be looking.

“What does it say?” I asked, staring at the tiles on the floor. When they didn't respond, I turned in annoyance to read it for myself.

F--- you Cole and don't regret this later. I won't leave that little Muslim skank alone. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned you asshole. I hope you're ready because you're both just as good as dead.

~A.H.

I stared at the words on Cole's body. He turned to look at me in a way that resembled worry before walking over to the paper towels. He took a bunch of them, covered them in soap, and soaked them with water. He then scrubbed the red words off of himself. I just stood there with my mouth ajar. “Why?” I asked nobody in particular, unable to form any other words.

“It's nothing,” Cole said as he continued to scrub the words away. “You've done enough. Go back to the dance.”

“I said why?” I yelled at him, not moving from where I was. Cole stopped scrubbing and looked at me tiredly. “What do I have to do with that?”

“I may have said some things as the alcohol kicked in. It was something that really pissed her off I guess.” Cole said, averting his eyes from mine. “Daleela, she can't do anything to you. Stop worrying.”

“From the looks of it, she's pretty crazy.” I snapped, gesturing to the red paper towels. I folded my arms across my chest. “What did you say to her about me?”

“I...” Cole stared at me for a second before continuing. He apparently didn't want to tell me. “I told her that she'd never be you. That's all I remember. I started fading after that.”

My knees nearly buckled under me. I put a hand on the wall beside me for support. “Why would you say that?” I whispered. “Do you realize you just threw me under the bus? We're not supposed to have anything to do with each other and knowing her, she'll spread a bunch of lies about us all around school.”

Cole stayed silent. He dried his chest and abs with paper towels. After that, he buttoned his shirt and rolled up his sleeves. He gave me a hard look. “I said that you have nothing to worry about. Let's go.”

He started walking slowly, still a little dizzy from being intoxicated. Dante gave me an apologetic look before giving Cole a hand. I walked past them both and went back into the gym. Everyone was facing the stage. Ashley was standing on stage, preparing to talk into the microphone. Four girls were standing in the background and five guys as well. Where in the world had Charice went? Aimee was among the girls and Erik was among the guys. For some reason it felt like both of their eyes followed me across the gym. I shivered uncontrollably.

“Hello students and faculty, my name is Ashley Grey. Today I'll be presenting our Ice Prince and Ice Princess of the year. But before I do that, I'd like to inform everyone of the weather outside. It doesn't look like anyone will be able to drive home. The snow is too thick and the plows aren't able to do the roads until tomorrow. They say it's a blizzard, I'm not sure.” Ashley informed everyone. People looked around worriedly. “Never fear, the show will go on. However, we may have to make arrangements for a lot of people to stay here until morning. The buses stopped running but the subway might be open for a few more hours.”

What? I am NOT staying in this school overnight with two people who want to kill me. Hells to the no. “Daleela,” My sister's voice called. I turned and saw her standing by her husband. She had her cellphone pressed against her ear. I ran over to her.

“What are we going to do?” I asked her when I got to where she was. She shook her head, thinking.

“I'm not sure. Ummi said the weather is terrible, especially near our house. Noor went outside and he could barely see in front of him. The car wheels are buried and it won't start.” Zayna said in distress. She groaned and pulled the phone from her ear in annoyance. “What is with this stupid signal!”

“Zayna calm down.” I sighed, grabbing her arm. She relaxed but only a little.

“I should have checked the weather channel before we left.” She said, putting her phone into her pocket. “I do not want to stay here tonight.”

“Me either,” I replied, glancing back at the stage. Now I was positive that both Erik and Aimee were looking at me. Erik had a sick grin on his face. I wanted to get as far away from that grin as possible.

“Okay, attention everyone.” Ashley's voice said through the microphone. We all turned to see what the fuss was about. “The results just came in and we have the winners.” She told us all brightly. She opened the envelope in her hands and stared down at the results with a small smile. It faltered for a minute before she regained her composure. “T-the winner for this year's Ice Princess is...Charice O'paul. And our Ice Prince is Daniel Harley.”

I clapped in excitement at the news. When I looked around Charice was no where to be found. I found Jade's gaze across the room. Where is she? Jade mouthed to me. I shrugged. “Charice O'paul,” Ashley repeated. “Daniel?” There was no response anywhere. All of a sudden, a girl ran onstage and handed Ashley a new envelope. She opened it and her eyebrows rose before she smiled. “New results are in, it looks like someone made a mistake on our team. I apologize folks. Now for the real winners of this year's winter dance. Our Ice Princess by five votes is Aimee Hale and our Ice Prince by two votes is Erik Howards! Give a round of applause everyone.”

My smile dropped immediately. What the heck was she talking about? Where was Charice? This couldn't be a coincidence. I turned and ran through the crowd of teens to where Jade stood with Marz. She was glaring at Aimee as Ashley placed the snowflake crown on her head. “What in the world just happened?” I asked her frantically. “Where the heck has Rafiq gone off too?”

Just as I asked the question, the doors to the gym opened beside us. Rafiq stumbled inside holding a girl in his arms. Her body was limp. “Help me!” He shouted, his voice breaking. He dropped to one knee, still holding the girl.

“Oh my god!” I heard Jade scream. I was too busy trying to breathe to say much.

“Char,” I murmured, walking to Rafiq. I dropped to my knees in front of him, placing both hands over my mouth. “Charice!” I cried, reaching forward to take her from Rafiq. He placed her in my arms and Jade was at my side in a heart beat.

There was blood running down her forehead. I placed my hand on her cheek and kept calling her name. She didn't open her eyes. People stood around us and did nothing. “Help her!” I shouted angrily, holding Charice close to me.

“Move aside please,” A male voice commanded, pushing past everyone. He crouched beside me, taking Charice and laying her on the floor of the gym. The man wore almost all blue and had on a black hat along with a pair of sunglasses. I was too busy looking at Charice to really care what he looked like. “Give me your coat.” The man said to me. I handed it to him quickly. He tried to wake her but failed.

He placed the coat under her neck and relaxed her head in order to open her airway. The man leaned down and placed his ear near head. “She's not breathing,” He mumbled more to himself than anyone else.

“What do you mean she's not breathing?” I asked hysterically but he was paying me no mind. He pinched her nose closed and blew into her mouth. He came back up, placed both of his hands over her heart, and began pumping up and down. He went through the process of doing this over and over. Finally, he stopped and checked to see if she was breathing for the third time.

He sighed in relief before checking her heart rate. A second or so later, Charice's eyes slowly fluttered open. Jade and I both started crying, each of us holding one of her hands. “She's okay but she might have a concussion. Someone call 911.” The man said, fixing his hat. He stood up and disappeared into the crowd of teens before I could thank him.

I suddenly saw Aimee standing by the refreshments table. She gave me an evil half smile then left the gym. “Jade stay with Char.” I said preparing to stand.

“Daleela, where are you going?” Zayna asked me, grabbing hold of my arm. I hadn't even noticed that she had been there the whole time.

“I'll be back,” I replied, standing up. I removed my sister's hand from my wrist and walked to the other side of the gym, exiting through the second set of doors. I looked around, searching for Aimee. She'd done this. I wasn't sure what happened to Charice exactly but I just knew deep inside my bones that it was Aimee who was behind it. I stalked down the hallways, anger burning through every single one of my veins.

I finally stopped in front of a classroom and saw Aimee sitting on a desk inside it, talking to some guy I couldn't see clearly. I put my hand on the knob to go inside. “Daleela,” Cole called out to me. I turned around and he was standing right there, breathing hard. “Don't do something you're gonna regret.”

“Oh, I won't regret it.” I growled, turning back to the door. I felt Cole grab me from behind, picking me up and dragging me into a classroom a few doors down. He shut the door with his foot, not letting me go. I fought him to the best of my ability. “Let go!” I shouted, trying to loosen the grip he had on my waist. I tried to hit him but he just grabbed my arms and folded them against my chest so that I couldn't move. “Please, let me go!” I cried, kicking and attempting to break away. He held my back against his chest.

“I'm trying to help you.” Cole whispered, holding me still. I elbowed him over and over but he wouldn't release me, no matter how hard I hit him.

“She almost killed her...she almost killed my best friend over a crown!” I sobbed, too weak to fight anymore. I was so frustrated that all I could do was cry and that upset me more than anything. I still kicked him even though I knew it was doing nothing for me.

“You don't know that.” Cole murmured, trying his best to calm me. Wrong way to do it buddy.

“Yes I do,” I cried feebly. I tried to reason with him.“Just let me hit her. She deserves it. Cole, stop holding me back!”

“I know she does...I know.” He said softly, his voice vibrating in my ear. “I'm going to let you go but you can't do anything rash Daleela. Not yet. Promise me you won't.”

My eyes felt like they could close at the sound of his voice. “I won't,” I promised, unable to put the anger I wanted to feel in my voice. Cole took a deep breath and I found myself doing the same. I was suddenly fully aware that my body was pressed so close to his. I felt tingles erupt through me as my nerves awakened. My breath caught in my throat as I recalled the feel of his lips pressed against mine. He released me finally. I turned around to look at him wildly, taking a few steps backward at the same time. “I need to get out of here.” I choked, looking around the dark classroom. Cole stood there looking at me with understanding eyes and nodded. Why couldn't he just stay the mean jerk? It made it so much easier to convince myself not to like him. Moments like this are dangerous...it makes me feel like I'm not in control of my actions. “I can't be alone with you.”

I opened the door to the classroom and ran down the hall as fast as I could. No, no...absolutely not, I chanted in my brain. I tried to focus and finally found my thoughts clearing again. I ran into the gym, straight to where Charice was. She looked dazed and tired. Jade hurried over to me. “Where were you?” She asked quietly.

“I was trying to go knock Aimee Hale's face in but Cole stopped me.” I replied, a little anger in my tone. “Did she tell you what happened to her?”

“Yes,” Jade said, attempting to stay calm. She lowered her voice even more. “She said that someone pushed her down the stairs.”

“She doesn't know who it was?” I questioned desperately. Jade shook her head.

“She claims she didn't see who it was.” She informed me with a deep sigh. “She's been looking for you.”

I nodded and walked over to where Charice was sitting in a chair. I carefully sat down beside her. We exchanged no words, she just rested her head on my shoulder and I gave her a sideways hug. “The ambulance is having trouble getting here but they got a plow out. They'll be here soon I hope.” Rafiq said, hanging up his cell phone. He came and sat on the other side of me. “They said not to let her sleep too much and constantly check on her.”

“Thanks Raf,” I sighed, using my free hand to grasp his. He squeezed my hand lightly.

“You okay?” He asked me. I nodded in response. I was annoyed by all the people standing around, giving sideways glances at us and whispering. “La,” Rafiq said to me all of a sudden.

“Yes?”

“Who was that guy?”

“What guy?” I mumbled back.

“The guy that did CPR on Charice?” Rafiq responded. “I've never seen him before. Have you?”

“No...I don't...maybe, I can't remember.” I muttered, pulling him closer so I could lay on his shoulder.

“I got this weird vibe from him.” Rafiq went on, allowing me to rest my head on him.

“It was probably nothing.” I said with a yawn. “After all, he saved my friend's life.”

“You're probably right...” Rafiq murmured, his voice fading into thoughts. Zayna and Noor walked over to where we were sitting.

“Where were you?” Zayna asked, folding her arms.

“I was looking for someone,” I responded tiredly. “Are we getting out of here now?”

“The plows aren't going to run until morning in this area because the storm is so bad. We have to stay at least until five to six a.m.” Zayna sighed, pressing her fingers to her temple. Noor grabbed her hand and and pulled her to sit on his lap.

I felt like hitting something. I did not want to stay here. I should have listened to Abi and never came to this stupid dance. None of this would have happened if it weren't for me. I leaned my head back and bumped it lightly on the wall behind me. I wanted to go home and crawl under the warmth of my blankets. Being in this school and not being able to knock Aimee Hale senseless, that was torture. I sat there quietly, every once and a while waking Charice and asking her if she was okay. The EMTs showed up almost an hour later and took her out on a stretcher. Somehow, she ended up asking Dante to go with her. Rafiq was asleep, laying on two chairs and Zayna was still on Noor's lap. They conversed in low murmurs, every once in a while Noor would stroke my sister's cheek lovingly. Jade was asleep in a chair with Marz's jacket on, her head resting on his shoulder. He had his arm wrapped around her securely. It was cute the way I'd watched them grow so fond of each other over time. Cole was nowhere to be found and I felt a little relieved at that. Half of the people had left to catch the last trains. We had stayed because I wanted to make sure Charice was safe.

I reached my hand into my pocket and realized that I wasn't wearing my coat. I remembered that the man who'd done CPR on Charice had asked me for it. I found the spot where I'd laid her down but the coat wasn't there. Instead there was a tiny pile of black fur that made a trail towards the gym doors. Something told me not to got out those door but I needed my phone. I followed the trail of faux fur that I knew for sure now was from my coat. I followed it all the way to the stairs at the east wing of the school. Finally, I could hear the sounds of shears cutting my jacket. When I got to the staircase landing, someone threw the coat at my feet.

“So that cheap thing does belong to you.” Aimee drawled, coming around a corner. I picked up the coat, ignoring her, and searched for my phone. It wasn't in any of the pockets. “Looking for this?” She asked, holding my phone up and swinging it back and forth.

I'm not a violent person, I thought silently. I shouldn't be a violent person.

Okay, I've been patient right? I hadn't beaten her ass when Cole had asked me not too. I had promised I wouldn't kill her for whatever reason but there are moments in life when a b---- just goes way too far. My dead grandmother had bought me that jacket and Allah only knows how I loved that woman. She was so funny and blunt in the way she said things. I'm pretty sure right about now, if I had asked her advice on this situation, she would've told me to beat her ass plain and simple. I'm not perfect. We all know that I'm definitely far from it but a person can't push your freaking buttons and not be prepared to see what they do.

“Aimee,” I started, my teeth gritting in anger. “I don't want to play this game with you, alright. So, I'll give you two options. Walk away and pretend this never happened. We won't bump into each other or bother each other.”

“Boring...next option.” She said with a sassy smirk plastered across her face. I wanted to wipe it off with my fist.

“Or we can continue like this.” I said quietly, trying to keep my emotions under control. “Attempting to crush each other until the pressure gives in.”

Aimee smirked, walking closer to me. The constant clack of her heels annoyed me. “Now that sounds like my kind of game. I'll have to warn you though...I'm the best at what I do.” She said, uncomfortably close to my ear. I pulled away in disgust as she smiled at me, satisfied. A frown washed over her face as she looked me up and down. “I still don't get what he sees in you.”

“Who?” I snapped, although I knew good and well who.

“Don't play dumb, that pisses me off more than anything.” Aimee snapped back. She flicked her long black hair over one shoulder in annoyance. “I really don't know who you think you are, coming into my school, stealing the affections of my man, and then having the nerve to dress like that with pride. It's preposterous.”

“The ignorance of everything you just said truly amazes me. You're pretty delusional if I do say so myself.” I scoffed with a roll of my eyes. Her face went hard at my words.

“I hope you don't think you'll win this just because he's on your side. You see, I've known Cole for a long time. He falls for a girl and then pushes her aside when he's done with her.” Aimee said coldly. “You're stupid if you think his affection is permanent. Nothing about Cole is permanent. He changes quickly and moves on even more quickly. He's only found an interest in you because you're unusual to him. You're something he hasn't had the chance to experience.” She went on, a winning smile on her face.

“I think you've got one thing twisted.” I hissed, folding my arms with determination. “No one ever said that I felt the same way about him. Why the hell should I care about anything you just said?”

She hadn't been expecting that kind of response. I could tell. Her smile faltered and I started laughing for the extra effect. “Wait, don't tell me you think I'm one of those girls that falls all over herself the moment a guy compliments her.” I chuckled, wiping my eyes. “Before you start something you can't finish, you need to learn who you're up against. I'm not like your little sidekicks you probably bent into submission. I have a force on my side that no person can ever add up to.”

Allah is on my side, I thought smugly. Inshallah.

“You don't realize that I'm not the only enemy you've made.” Aimee said, unable to apply her malicious smirk. She was unsure now of who I was, what I thought, and what I could do. That gave me power and I'd have to work with it as long as I could.

“I do realize that,” I said with a shrug. I found myself smirking at her. “But haters gone hate.” I replied, snatching my cellphone from her. She looked down at her empty hand in bewilderment. “I'm all for the peace route but you didn't want to take it.” I turned my back to her before saying my final words. “If I ever find out that you were the one who pushed Charice down those stairs, you better pray and pray hard.” I said in an airy tone. I straightened out my purple dress and walked back down the hall to where I'd come from.

I wasn't afraid of Aimee all that much. Maybe the connections she may have but not her. She was sketchy and she annoyed me to no end but she didn't put any real fear inside my heart. No matter how much I fear anyone, I'll always fear Allah more. He's what gets me through everything. But even as I was walking back to the gym, I felt my skin crawl. I'd fallen into a dark place and it had all started with one person. He was a person that I happened to care about a lot now, much to my disliking.

All odds are against us; religion, family, friends, values, priorities, and the fact that we are so young. They are all things that keep a wall between us but the problem is...we were already in too deep. This wasn't about some kind of hot and passionate romance. This was about a lot more. This was about things that are far beyond me. I could feel it in my bones that soon enough, something crazy was going to happen. But I think I've come a long way. I've grown...no, evolved and since I have gone through a lot in such a short time, I feel like my defenses have gotten stronger. I don't know if I can handle everything that's coming but I'm ready.

All that matters is that I'm ready...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Soooo.......what did you think??? 

What did you like most about this chapter and what do you think will happen next? Come on, guess ;) It'll be fun lol. 

Just want to say, Please vote and comment if you really love me -pokes out lip- and if you really, really love me please take a sec to make sure you voted all of the chapters. That would make my day or maybe even my year, lol who knows? I work really hard to write and it would be awesome to see some appreciation -winkwink- LOL Okay, I'll stop now. This is probably hella annoying. See you next chapter and I hope you enjoyed this one because I had writers block up the wazoo towards the end. :D 

Kisses,

-PurityInMyHeart

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 4K 21
"I thought I told you to stop telling me what to do." I whispered meekly. "I thought I told you that I wanted you here, with me. I want your happines...
280K 15.3K 46
[ #27 in Spiritual- 23/11/15] "I shouldn't have marry you." ________________________ Zaina is a strong girl. She was perfect in everything, at school...
775K 28.7K 21
"Bu...But we are married" I tried to defend myself "But I don't consider you my wife, get the hell out of my room" He yelled I couldn't help but ju...
285K 16K 46
Highest rank #38 in spiritual. Completed meet Hatina, a young muslimah who always dreamed of being loved, but anyone she loved never loved her back...