Lethal Misfits ✅

By xxtypicalscorpianxx

The last thing Iris Bradley needs is to be in debt of Johnny Law - who is all guns and troubles - but after r... More

Lethal Misfits
Lethal Misfits (2)
Lethal Misfits (3)
Lethal Misfits (4)
Lethal Misfits (5)
Lethal Misfits (6)
Lethal Misfits (7)
Lethal Misfits (8)
Lethal Misfits (9)
Lethal Misfits (10)
Lethal Misfits (11)
Lethal Misfits (12)
Lethal Misfits (13)
Lethal Misfits (14)
Lethal Misfits (15)
Lethal Misfits (17)
Lethal Misfits (18)
Lethal Misfits (19)
Lethal Misfits (20)
Lethal Misfits (21)
Lethal Misfits (22)
Lethal Misfits (23)
Lethal Misfits (24)
Lethal Misfits (25)
Lethal Misfits (26)
Lethal Misfits (27) [ Final Chapter ]

Lethal Misfits (16)

1.3K 93 5
By xxtypicalscorpianxx

Lethal Misfits - 16

Iris

By the time I had finished asking people on the first three floors, I was panting. I leaned against the wall for support and had an urge to drink a tank of water, trying not to pay attention to the burning sensation flooding my lungs. I knew should have brought a bottle with me but I was in such a hurry that I had forgotten. I wondered how far Johnny had gone. He had to be faster than me.

The worst part was that the plan seemed to be falling apart. I had asked more than ten people now, facing their insults and disgruntled behavior and keeping my patience as well, it was all futile. Nobody knew a guy named Steve Bradley here.

I knew it! This place was wrong.

Either he had called from this address to mislead anyone if they tried to contact back and trace him. That confirmed my suspicions - there was something big that he was hiding, something too dangerous for him that he couldn't risk me to find it. And now I was more than determined to do so.

I got off the wall and with renewed vigor I began to march on the next floor and interrogate the people there.

The first person on the next floor that came across me was an old fat woman who was too drunk for her own good. She was trying hard to keep her balance and reach the correct apartment. I wondered if it was okay to help her, after all I didn't want to end up in some sort of trouble.

She sang a merry song that had lost all it's merriness in her voice and I approached her cautiously. She gave me a glance and a wide grin spread on her face. Either she was one of those people who were too happy and had nothing else to do with their lives or she was truly depressed and was drowning in liquor to soothe her sorrows.

''Excuse me, do you know-''

''Angellllaaaaa!!!!!'' she half shrieked, alerting the people passing by and startling me. I backed away feeling nervous, deciding it wasn't a good idea at all.

Before I could scramble away, she grabbed my elbow with vice like grip and looped a beefy arm around my shoulder, the weight suffocating me, ''Where are you going Angelllllaaaa? I found you, I found you!''

I winced as she clapped my back, like a proud moma and started laughing like a total retard. I struggled to free myself from her grasp but to my horror she was leading me towards her apartment.

''Hey, wait I-''

''Don't worry Angela. We'll talk and catch up on the old times.'' She yelled in my ear, I wanted to remind her that they worked perfectly well and I could hear her fine but decided otherwise. I didn't have time for this shit.  

''Um excuse me, but that's my Angela.'' I sighed in relief as the woman turned to face Johnny; he was panting and stood hunkered with hands resting on his knees.

''Oh?'' The woman seemed to realize that I wasn't Angela and let go of my shoulder, stepping back and hitting the wall, ''Where did she go then?'' she started blabbering something under her breath as Johnny grabbed my hand and led me away from the narrow corridor.

''That was so close!'' I cried when I was sure we were away from the crazy woman, ''damn it she was determined to take me away.''

''We're not here to discuss that Angela,'' He hushed me,

I glared at him, ''don't call me that!''

''Iris,'' he spoke, ''it's kind of strange but nobody knows any Steve Bradley around here.''

''I know, there was no luck on my side. I asked so many people who have been living in this place for six or seven years, even more than that. Nobody knows Steve.''

He nodded, ''I guess we should leave.''

''No! We still have few floors left-''

''What good would that do? If these people are around for such a long time they are bound to know Steve. We can't waste time Iris, please try to understand.'' I bit my lip, trying hard to hide my disappointment. My worst fears were true now, coming here didn't help and we failed to find our next lead.

''Hey,'' Johnny put a firm hand on my shoulder, ''its okay. There are still a lot of things you can do.'' I nodded and followed him to the elevator which groaned and clacked as he punched the bottom with a giant G on it,

I leaned against the half cracked mirror and sighed, wondering when this chase will end. I laughed at myself for having such silly thought. We weren't even started yet and I had already grown wary. Johnny mimicked my expression but he didn't look exhausted. I reminded myself he was used to doing these kinds of sneaky things and chasing stuff. Sometimes I wonder how he felt having to tag along with me. Was it weird? Was he constantly scolding himself for make the wrong decision? Or was it the opposite and he was pitying me? It was hard to sneak into his thoughts - he was never open about things unless he was in mood.

Damn it all. Why was I contemplating Johnny thoughts at time like this? I was supposed to find another way to solve this situation. I was supposed to focus on Steve Bradley and find any information about him.

''I know you don't wanna doubt Kenji, but there's a chance that he did made a mistake,'' I told Johnny, wishing he would consider the possibility and wont start with his don't-assume-shit theory, ''this is technical stuff Johnny, he might have slipped a digit or two.'' I finished lamely.

He rubbed his chin and nodded, ''I know what you're saying is right. But it's not possible. This is the only apartment building in this area. The housing society is about twenty minutes away from here. Even if he slipped a digit or two, a mistake this huge is not possible.''

''But-''

''You might think I'm arrogant or whatever, but I am hundred percent sure Kenji didn't made a blunder. This is the place we were looking for.''

I slammed my fist against the elevator's door, ''What went wrong then?!'' Johnny wasn't fazed by my outburst, ''I asked so many people. My feet are sore from running all over the place and not a single fucking person knows a guy called Steve fucking Bradley! I didn't came here for nothing I-''

I paused as he stood straighter and grabbed my arm, stopping me from hitting the door anymore. It opened but neither of us moved. I watched mindlessly as he punched a button again and we were moving up.

''What do you think you're doing?'' I demanded

He dropped my arm and clasped his hand together, ''I think you're right...''

''Huh?'' It seemed like he was having some kind of revelation or enlightenment, I backed away feeling more frustrated,

''His name, maybe he changed his name when he lived here!'' He concluded, grinning brightly, as if he had just plucked an apple from the highest tree in the backyard.

''You mean he was using a different alias?''

He nodded clapping his hands again, was an expression of excitement for him? ''Yes! We have to consider other possibilities as well. Since he's such a shady bastard, there has to be chance he changed his name when he lived here. You grandparents were rich weren't they?''

I nodded, ''obviously''

''Then it's impossible for this to be his original home. Now I'm sure he was using another name. We've been asking for Steve Bradley. But we were wrong because nobody called Steve Bradley had been here.''

His idea put itself together in my mind and I realized that he could be right about it. Johnny had good initiation and once again I could only wither in anger and fury while he had already figured the problem out.

''Don't sulk now,'' he said and punched another number, ''be grateful that we found something. It's better than going home empty handed.'' I flinched when he said ''home'' but didn't argue. He was right, there was no time to sulk.

''Even so, how would we know what name he used? He changed it.'' I pointed out the next obvious problem,

Johnny grinned, ''He couldn't have changed his face right?''

I had an urge to slap myself. This was another thing about him I found annoying. When I was with Johnny, in one way or another he always proved he was smarter than me. But feeling irritated about it didn't change the fact that he had made me feel like a complete useless idiot.

Again.

* * * *

Johnny

Her whole face changed.

A minute ago she looked angry and irritated by lack of our success, as if it was the end of the world. Now, she was radiant, a hopeful expression held her smile intact and I fell myself wishing we continued finding something - anything - just for sake of that smile. It took me a moment to realize I was staring at her, she was saying something but I was hardly listening. It wasn't until she shook my arm that I stepped out of my daze.

What the hell was I doing acting like a total creep?

''Uh you said something?''

''Where are you wandering off now? Wonderland?'' She went back to being snappy again. I slipped my hands in pockets of my jacket and sighed, waiting for her to go back to the discussion.

''I was saying that we will look like an idiot with his picture. Name was a better option, the excuse looked a bit believable.''

She was right but we didn't had time to ponder over how much of weirdoes we would look. These people had to know his face - that's what actually mattered. These people would probably stare at us and show us their middle fingers but it wouldn't get worse than that.

''I think that should be the last thing in our mind.'' We got out of the lift and I flicked on my cell phone,

''Do you have a picture of him?''

''Excuse me if I don't carry around the picture of the man who destroyed my life in my wallet!''

I flinched, ''Aren't you a little too snappy today?''

''Excuse me if I'm annoyed over wandering in an unknown place searching information about the same bastard who destroyed my life!'' I shook my head and decided not to argue with her anymore. It was a greta waste of precious time.

''Fine, I'm sending one on your phone-''

''-where did you get it?''

I heaved a sigh, a like her better when she was smiling instead of acting like angry mother hen, ''Facebook'' I answered briefly and punched a few buttons,

''Good, now lets work on the same thing again.'' I told her hastily and rushed off before she could speak again. Once Iris was out of sight I breathed in relief and started the mad search once more.

The first person that I came across was an old man in his forties, carrying heavy bags and going somewhere in rush. When I approached him he glanced at me like I had gone mad and hurried on, leaving me hanging.

The next one was another man whom I had asked the questions previously. Like last time he grinned at me and said he didn't know the picture. This time as I questioned more people I was determined not to lose hope along the way, for Iris sake.

I wasn't sure how much time passed but my legs were tired from fatigue, I was panting and paused to drink water from my bag, wondering how Iris was doing. I should have said something before going on my own. I thought about calling her but changed my mind. We just parted ways; also I didn't want her to mad on me again.

I wiped water from my mouth using the back of my arm and ran again, feeling adrenaline pumping through my veins. Sweat tickled down my forehead as I madly dashed down another winding corridor, feeling a strange energy bursting through me.

I made it to the next floor after ten more minutes when I found Iris talking to a young black man near the first room. I tapped her shoulder and she thanked the man, turning to me and grabbing my water bottle without asking.

''that's mine'' I pointed out but she only glared at me,

She threw it back and approached another man without saying anything further, I followed her and greeted the man as well.

''Excuse me, have you ever seen this man? He's called Steve Bradley and he's currently missing.'' She flipped on her phone and showed the picture to him.

The man peeked closer and then glanced back at us with a frown on his face, ''Steve you say? Steve Bradley son of old Harry Bradley?''

I stopped tapping my fingers against the wall. Finally! There was someone who actually knew him. I felt like our chase was coming to it's its end, wishing the information would be worth enough. Iris nodded, hope shining on her face but I turned my focus on the man. His brows were creased and his eyes were narrowed, he was confused.

''Why are you calling him Steve?'' He asked suspiciously,

I exchanged a bewildered look with Iris, ''what do you mean, sir?'' She tried again, asking more smoothly this time,

He leaned away from the cell phone and rubbed his chin, ''Why are you calling him Steve?'' the young man repeated, ''that not Steve. That's James, he was my fathers drinking buddy and lived in the apartment next door. I'm sure he never changed his name.''

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

451 14 11
Charlotte Crawford didn't want to do. Her two best friends lie bleeding on the ground with bullets in their heads and she is on the run from the poli...
3.7K 206 39
Not edited Olivia has never had an easy life, and it just gets more complicated when she catches a certain someone's attention. It doesn't matter t...
197K 5.9K 32
Taylor Valentine is a fighter. A cold-blooded, ruthless fighter with a heart so cold that even the snakes feared him. Third in Command in The Vipers...
The Bad Dog By Tanja

Teen Fiction

13 0 5
Viola's childhood friend, Jake, Is a bad boy and always teases Viola. she loves him but at the se time can't stand him. He starts to chance when they...