Phoenix: The Risen ✔️

By illiteratehomebody

Phoenix watched her closely, his eyes darting down to her tongue that poked out briefly to wet her lips. He w... More

Cast
S e p t e m b e r
F r i e n d s
T o u c h
W a l k s
S t r a w b e r r y
S o l a c e
K i s s e s
S o f t
T h e G a m e
L i p s
S k i r t s
D i n e r
P D A
J a c k
N o s e y
C u d d l e s
O h M y G o d
P a r t y
H e l p
D a d
X a n
H o n e s t
C a l m
S e c r e t s
B i t e
L a t e
D e b a t e
S h o t s
L i e s
A p o l o g y
S t u m b l e
S h o w e r
R e t r o
N e e d
G o o d n i g h t M o o n
F e e l i n g s
B a m b i
C i n n a m o n
S i r
F or g i v e
R u m o u r
T i g h t S p a c e s
G r e e n h o u s e
Mine
Thanksgiving
Completed

R e t u r n

77.8K 2.4K 2.3K
By illiteratehomebody

"Baby"

Penelope blinked out of her daze and looked to see her boyfriend standing by her desk.

"Hmm?"

"We're supposed to get our canvases." He said in an amused tone.

The brunette furrowed her brows and looked around to see her classmates sitting in pairs with an easel and canvas set up in front of them.

"Try not to fall asleep on me, yeah?"

Penelope blushed and got up from her seat to follow the taller boy.

She wasn't tired, in fact she was quite the opposite. Her mind was awake- her thoughts rampant and loud, it was almost starting to give her a headache.

There's a football game tonight. The team was coming back after their 3 day away tour and Penelope's nerves were a bit jumbled to say the least.

The timing of the team's absence was perfect really. She remembered the anxiety that consumed her when she had to go to school the day after her conversation with Phoenix.

The boy said that he wasn't angry at her, but she knew him. He bottles up his emotions and keeps to himself until finally, he explodes. And not in a menthols-meets-coke kind of way, but rather a violent storm that only sees red. It would appear suddenly but be devastating to everything in its path.

Penelope would much prefer if the Norwegian expressed himself using words instead of fists. But, since that wasn't the case, she would try her best to be the calming contrast that he needed- because anything could set him off.

Owen himself was a trigger. So Penelope was more than happy when she didn't see him when she went back to school. She was glad to hear that she wouldn't be seeing him for the next few days after that too.

"I-um, what are we supposed to be doing?"

Phoenix's lips tugged upwards in a small smile, before he redirected her to their seats once they got the supplies.

"Just sit and put your hand on the table."

She blushed and did as he said, watching curiously as he adjusted it so that the back of her hand was resting on the table and her fingers were facing upwards.

He furrowed his brows and tilted his head in thought, before reaching around his neck to remove his silver chain.

He placed it in her palm and adjusted it accordingly, taking his charcoal pencil afterwards to press against the canvas.

Penelope found herself surprised at how talented Phoenix was. This was the first class where they actually got to execute their art, after the first few months of studying history.

She watched his short, calculated strokes begin to transform into a beautiful image, and she was mesmerized. He paused when he had drawn part of her forearm to the tip of her thumb.

"You never told me you were so good at drawing Nix."

The girl's eyes were wide in awe and she leaned in to further examine the detailed shading and pencil strokes.

The boy merely shrugged and scratched at the back of his neck.

"I'm decent, I guess."

"No, baby you're like really talented."

The boy bit his lip at the use of the endearment, but he could feel his neck warm at the compliment.

Penelope examined the drawing for a few seconds longer before getting up from her seat to move towards him.

"Here."

Phoenix reached his hand out to take the chain but the shorter girl leaned into his sitting frame and clasped the silver together herself.

She smiled when she felt that his neck was heated, and she pulled back to tease him about his flushed state but froze at the noise approaching the class's open door.

The football team had just arrived and classes were cheering them on. Penelope overheard that they were on some kind of winning streak, so that explained the overly warm welcome.

The boys whooped and laughed as they walked down the hall, slapping some hands of the kids that stood near them.

Penelope swallowed as her eyes locked with the ones of her friend. Owen smiled at her as he walked past the art class, but it faltered when he noticed tattooed hands move to wrap around her waist almost possessively.

Phoenix pulled the shorter girl closer to his frame so that she was standing between his legs. His eyes were fixated on the boy in a hardened glare, and he took note of how the star quarterback avoided looking at him.

Penelope released a breath when the group finally moved down the rest of the hallway, but she could feel anxiety creeping around her neck like a vice.

Her hopes of Phoenix leaving things be had just flown out the window. He was gripping her so tightly, she was sure handprints would be left on her skin.

"Phoenix.."

"What" He muttered, his eyes still trained on the doorway.

"Are you okay?"

The boy ignored her and dropped his hands to start cleaning up the supplies.

"Ph-"

The bell rang, interrupting her words.

"I'm fine."

"Great job today class! Remember to take your canvases home so you and your partners can finish your art. I want to see lots of thought and dimension!"

Penelope shrugged on her backpack and picked up the canvas, holding it close to her chest. She nibbled on her bottom lip as she watched her boyfriend sling his own bag over his shoulder.

She watched his hand hesitantly, unsure if he was okay with her touching him since he seemed a bit annoyed; a voice of insecurity whispered that it was because of her.

However, Phoenix rose a questioning brow and took her small palm in his large one, bringing about a familiar comfort that settled her nerves and warmed her tummy.

Penelope smiled as they left the classroom but made a sound of confusion when she saw that they weren't heading in the direction of the cafeteria.

"Where are we going?"

"Do you plan on holding that for the rest of the day?"

The brunette blushed at being reminded of the canvas she still held in her arms. Sometimes when her mind wandered she could be quite forgetful.

"Oh"

They arrived at her locker and the girl inputted her combination before sliding the large structure inside. She closed the door and breathed a sigh before turning to face the taller boy again.

"Nix, about earlier I-"

Penelope paused when she heard another locker door close, and her eyes flickered to see her best friend.

The blonde faltered too, not expecting to see the girl that her crush much prefers over herself. And of course she was already thriving with a boyfriend of her own.

She looked at the couple for a moment longer but turned to walk in the other direction, not willing to put an end to the silent treatment she's been giving.

Penelope frowned and wrapped her arms around her middle, self consciously. Olivia's been ignoring her for as long as Owen's been away. She didn't want to make her even more upset, so she decided to back off and give the girl some space. Still though, guilt wedged its way in her throat. She swallowed, but the uncomfortable feeling persisted.

"She still being a bitch?"

Penelope gave him a disapproving look.

"I'm the reason why she's upset, and she has every right to be."

The boy rolled his eyes.

"She's being dramatic. It's not your fault the guy she likes only sees her as an easy fuck. She needs to grow up."

Penelope's nose wrinkled in distaste at his crude remarks.

"I still think she deserves some time to herself. Sometimes you just need to let yourself feel."

Her eyes flickered up to Phoenix's blues and he returned her stare blankly.

"It's much easier to just get over it." He muttered. Although his inner voice laughed after him, at how ironic those words seemed to be.

Penelope frowned at his "run away from my feelings" mentality. Although she sympathized that his personality was anything but vulnerable.

"Are you hungry?" She asked in a change of topic.

"I mean it is lunch time" He replied in an obvious tone.

The girl pursed her lips but ignored his sass.

"Can we go to McDonald's please. I'm really craving chicken nuggets."

Phoenix looked amused and pulled on one of her braids.

"You look like a baby, pouting like that."

Penelope huffed and took her French braid from his hands, not noticing how her boyfriend smiled as her cheeks turned the rose-pink colour that he loved.

"Let's go" The girl decided, turning on her heels to start walking towards the door.

"Did I say we were going?"

The brunette stopped walking and faced him again, crossing her arms defiantly.

"But I want the chicken nuggets." She protested, her nose scrunched in determination.

Phoenix's jaw twitched as he tried his hardest not to smirk. His girl was just too adorable and getting her all worked up was even more fun. It was turning him on actually. Something about her small self trying to get her way made him tick. He enjoyed putting her in her place every once in a while.

He stepped closer to her and his eyes flitted around to see that there was a lone student getting their work from their locker. He smiled to himself, knowing how fun Penelope was to play with in high risk situations. The little girl was a bit of an exhibitionist if he were to say so himself. 

"Would you let me?" He asked vaguely, walking towards her so that she could be cornered.

"Let you what?"

Penelope slowly dropped her arms and looked up at Phoenix confused, although she felt two heartbeats when she captured his smouldering gaze.

Her back hit a locker and she flinched at the sound. Her eyes scanned the hallway to see that there was a random guy on the phone, probably having received a call after putting away his books.

Her eyes moved back to her boyfriend's and she felt like a mouse caught in a trap.

Phoenix smiled down at her sinfully and pressed his body against hers, his arm coming up to rest against the locker and his nose lowering to her neck.

"Take you here—out in the open." He felt her small body shiver and he pressed a soft kiss to her neck in response.

"Your thighs would squeeze my hips as I fuck you against the locker doors. All wet and dripping everywhere. Skriker for meg som min gode jente."

Screaming for me like a good girl

His head shook against her skin and he chuckled.

"It would be a shame for someone to have to clean that up after."

Penelope's eyes were wide and her heart beat erratically in her chest. Her hunger had manifested into the sexual kind and she could feel her underwear dampening against her will at his dirty words.

"I-"

"But you're probably too hungry for that now." He said, abruptly pulling away from her.

"What was it you wanted again? McDonald's?"

The smaller girl looked frazzled and all kinds of frustrated. It didn't help that her boyfriend was taunting her with his words.

"Phoenix you can't keep doing that." She whined breathlessly.

"What?"

His eyes gleamed in amusement, and although it was at her expense, she was glad that his mood was better.

"Do you want to eat or not?"

Penelope simply huffed and followed behind him begrudgingly.

Penelope sat in the school library, finishing up some homework before the end of the day.

Her eyes were trained on her laptop, fingers typing at a fast pace. Although her productive speed halted when a chair was pulled out from beside hers and a grey football jacket obscured her vision.

"Hey"

Hesitantly, she flickered her eyes up to meet the boy's face.

"Hi" She whispered.

Owen looked at her for a moment before nodding his head towards her laptop.

"World History?"

"Ya...I have a test coming up."

"I took it last year if you want my notes."

Penelope shook her head and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"You don't have t-"

"Is everything cool? Like between us I mean."

The girl's brows furrowed to feign confusion.

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Because I'm pretty sure you've been avoiding me."

A silent pause filled the air and Penelope hoped that she didn't look thrown off. She shook her head and giggled lightly, although she was sure it sounded strained if not forced.

"You've been gone for most of the week Owen, how is that even possible?"

"You haven't replied to any of my texts or calls, and since I've been back you seem to turn the other way anytime I see you in the halls."

There was no hiding her expression then. The girl looked stunned, as if she was caught in a lie. Or maybe she was shocked that he had noticed all of those things. Either way, she was not prepared for confrontation.

"I-I didn't think that I was." Owen could just barely make out the girl's small murmer.

"What's going on Elly?" A frustrated hand lifted to run through his hair. "Did I do something wrong? I don't know why you..."

Penelope's eyes flickered everywhere but his face, her bottom lip caught between her teeth in a nervous habit.

"Is this...Is this because of the kiss?"

The girl winced as her teeth drew blood.

"So it is then."

Penelope met his eyes again, although hers were now filled with a nauseating mix of emotions.

"Owen..."

"You said it was okay"

"Well I was wrong."

She shook her head and and played with her hair to calm her shaky hands.

"I shouldn't have let you do it. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but I've been feeling really bad about it ever since."

She sighed with a frown.

"It wasn't fair to you or Phoenix. I know he said that he's okay but-"

Owen clenched his jaw and seemed angered by her words.

"You told him?"

"Of course I did. He deserved to know."

"So he's giving you shit for it then. That's why you've been ignoring me right? Did he block my number from your phone? What a fucking douche."

He reached over to grab her phone but she pulled it away before his fingers could touch it.

"Please don't call him that. He didn't block you. He's actually been nothing but nice to me which is much more than I deserve."

"Elly" Owen's voice dropped to a softer tone. He turned slightly so that one arm was resting on the top of her chair and the other was on her thigh.

Penelope glanced down at his hand, her body stiffening in discomfort.

"Didn't you...feel anything between us? Everything about you and me just seems so right. Why do we have to go through all of this?"

The girl shook her head, her tongue poking against the inside of her cheek.

"Owen I'm so sorry." She turned to face the table, the boy's hand slipping from her skin. Her hands moved erratically as she closed her laptop and packed her things into her bag.

"You're one of my closest friends O, but that's all we can be—Friends."

She stood up from her seat and slung the bag over her shoulder.

"Please don't push me on this." She begged.

Owen looked like he was biting back some words, but he nodded stiffly anyway.

He watched her leave through the rotating doors and sighed, turning back in his seat. Although as he did so, his eyes caught the stare of another familiar face.

A/N: Sorry for being MIA for a bit guys ;(

The next update should come faster cause I have an idea of how I want it to go already. Usually starting a chapter takes me the longest lol

Has anyone gone back to school yet? Are you able to, or is it online? I'm curious about how many people are actually gonna be in a physical class 🤨

Thanks for reading as always. And thanks for 1 mil!! I didn't even realize but I'm so grateful guys 💗

Stay safe xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9M 120K 45
[Book 1] After his disastrous marriage, Aidan Demos swore he would never fall in love again. His love life reduced to one night stands spent tying ra...
214K 8.6K 33
When Penelope is the daughter of the Elder's for the Witch Council and one day soon is meant to take over. That plan get's put on hold when she meets...
25.3K 724 28
[BXB] "Promise me you'll stay strong, for me, for us" Smiling at the older boy below him Blake rested his forehead upon Alec's. "I promise" Hearin...
6.9M 141K 31
Book 1 in Dominant Series • Mia has spent most of her life in an orphanage-sheltered and with little joy. Shortly after her eighteenth birthday, howe...