Second Lead Syndrome (1-187)...

By Rinkou

Transmigrating into a cannon fodder villain from her favourite novel, Cecil Lan, our heroine decides to chang... More

▪︎ introduction & copyright ▪︎
• 1 •
• 2 •
• 3 •
• 4 •
• 5 •
• 6 •
• 7 •
• 8 •
• 9 •
• 10 •
• 11 •
• 12 •
• 13 •
▪︎ end of "Aoi" arc ▪︎
• 14 •
• 15 •
• 16 •
• 17 •
• 18 •
• 19 •
• 20 •
• 21 •
• 22 •
• 23 •
• 24 •
• 25 •
• 26 •
• 27 •
• 28 •
• 29 •
▪︎end of "Academy" arc
• 30 •
• 31 •
• 32 •
• 33 •
• 34 •
• 35 •
• 36 •
• 37 •
• 38 •
▪︎ end of "Indigo" arc ▪︎
• 39 •
• 40 •
• 41 •
• 42 •
• 43 •
• 44 •
• 45 •
• 46 •
• 47 •
• 48 •
• 49 •
• 50 •
• 51 •
• 52 •
• 53 •
• 54 •
• 55 •
• 56 •
• 57 •
• 58 •
• 59 •
• 60 •
• 61 •
▪︎ end of "Zasiok" arc ▪︎
• 62 •
• 63 •
• 64 •
• 65 •
• 66 •
• 67 •
• 68 •
• 69 •
• 70 •
• 71 •
• 72 •
▪︎ end of "Leonaut" arc ▪︎
• 73 •
• 74 •
• 75 •
• 76 •
• 77 •
• 78 •
• 79 •
• 80 •
• 81 •
• 82 •
• 83 •
• 84 •
• 85 •
• 86 •
▪︎ end of "Academy Pt 2." arc ▪︎
• 87 •
• 88 •
• 89 •
• 90 •
• 91 •
• 92 •
• 93 •
• 94 •
• 95 •
• 96 •
• 97 •
• 98 •
• 99 •
• 100 •
• 101 •
• 102 •
• 104 •
• 105 •
• 106 •
• 107 •
• 108 •
• 109 •
• 110 •
▪︎ end of "Death's Edge" arc ▪︎
• 111 •
• 112 •
• 113 •
• 114 •
• 115 •
• 116 •
• 117 •
• 118 •
• 119 •
▪︎ end of "Onwards, to Tul" arc ▪︎
• 120 •
• 121 •
• 122 •
• 123 •
• 124 •
• 125 •
• 126 •
• 127 •
• 128 •
• 129 •
• 130 •
• 131 •
• 132 •
• 133 •
• 134 •
• 135 •
▪︎ end of "Welcome to Tul" arc ▪︎
• 136 •
• 137 •
• 138 •
• 139 •
• 140 •
• 141 •
• 142 •
• 143 •
• 144 •
• 145 •
• 146 •
• 147 •
• 148 •
• 149 •
• 150 •
• 151 •
• 152 •
• 153 •
• 154 •
• 155 •
• 156 •
• 157 •
• 158 •
• 159 •
• 160 •
• 161 •
• 162 •
• 163 •
▪︎ end of "Tournament" arc ▪︎
• 164 •
• 165 •
• 166 •
• 167 •
• 168 •
• 169 •
• 170 •
• 171 •
• 172 •
▪︎ end of "Lord Kiba" arc ▪︎
• 173 •
• 174 •
• 175 •
• 176 •
• 177 •
• 178 •
• 179 •
• 180 •
• 181 •
• 182 •
• 183 •
• 184 •
• 185 •
• 186 •
• 187 •
Maximum Limit

• 103 •

12.4K 830 951
By Rinkou

“Stay behind here with Xue, Hana,” Cecil slowly leaned the unconscious man on her shoulder onto Hana. “I’ll scout ahead first.” 

“Okay.”

Cecil took a few steps forward and Hana bit on her lower lip, feeling worried.

“Cecil!” 

“Hmm?” 

“Be careful.”

Cecil smiled at Hana, nodding her head. 

She proceeded into the hidden cave room, the lantern creaked slightly as she swung it around the area. She could see the mounted torches on the wall, but they were not lit up. 

Someone was really using this cave after all.

Two people flickered past her mind, one a certain blue-haired devil along with another demon with violet-black hair. 

Cecil furrowed her eyebrows, pausing in her steps as she grew cautious. 

Why would they be down here? Making a temporary shelter for themselves? 

Unfortunately, Cecil had limited knowledge about Death’s Edge and she knew nothing about this place or what it has. Be it from the flora or fauna or whether anyone could possibly survive down here. 

In the first place, can the flora and fauna even thrive down here? 

Shaking her head to herself, she continued onwards and that was when she saw something in the distance. 

It was a figure, a man, chained to the cavern walls. 

Cecil staggered back as she dropped the lantern in shock. 

Hana heard a loud clattering noise. 

“Cecil?!” she gasped, hurrying forward as fast as she could while carrying the ash blonde-haired man with her. 

The lantern slowly rolled across the cold, hard ground towards the direction of the man chained to the wall. 

The raven-haired woman was frozen stiff as she watched the man move his head to meet her eyes. His sharp eyes, one greyish-black while the other a crimson red, were narrowed and he opened his thin, chapped lips. 

His tanned, lean body was decorated with scars, along with his face and Cecil found it a pity that a sculpted face with a prominent jawline had actually been scarred. Moreover, his body was well-built and its attractiveness has been dulled by the numerous scars too. 

His copper brown hair, straight and long, cascaded down his back. Though, due to being trapped in here for decades, his hair lacked lustre and he was extremely unkempt. 

What surprised even Cecil more were the wings on his back, one side was clearly one that belonged to an angel, while the other was a demon. If they weren’t torn in such a manner, Cecil was sure it would have been a beautiful sight to witness. 

The handsome man moved his lips, but no words came out and his eyes narrowed even further.

Nonetheless, his actions did not give off any hostility.

Cecil observed the table in front of her with embalming tools that were covered in blood and she frowned. She glanced back at the man, an inkling on what exactly happened to this...half angel and half demon. She hastily picked up her lantern and shuffled forward, her voice soft as she remained vigilant. 

“Who…” she started to ask, trailing off when a notification popped up in front of her eyes. 

[ Mission #9: The Hidden Room in the Cave
Objective completed! ]  

[ The reward for the mission is unlocking a new character!
Along with that, you have unlocked another mission! ]

[ Mission #10: The Imprisoned Man
Objective: Free the man and help him to recover!
Reward: ???
This mission is compulsory, hence, it will be automatically accepted~ ]

Cecil blinked rapidly, and she heard someone calling out for her in concern. 

“Cecil! Cecil, are you--” 

Hana rushed into the hidden cave room, stumbling upon the sight of the imprisoned man and just like Cecil, she was stunned speechless. In her shock, Hana almost dropped Xue and Cecil was horrified. 

She dashed forward, supporting Xue and they were back in the same position, where one of them carried Xue with one shoulder.  

With the lantern back in Cecil’s hands, she shone it all around and the copper brown-haired man could see the faces of the two new strangers clearly. 

His attractive features twisted, and he wore a look of astonishment. 

Hana brought her hand up to her mouth, her hand trembling as she seemed visibly affected by the man. She slowly moved her hand away a second later, opening her mouth as her voice shook. 

“...you--you are...K’xug…?” 

Cecil stilled.

She saw the man nodding in agreement to Hana’s words, and Cecil gradually turned her head towards Hana. 

K’xug. 

That name…

It was one of the names Cecil carved into her memory after reading the novel. He was supposedly the closest aide and the best friend of Xue, when he was still training as the Supreme God. 

However, when Xue needed him the most both as a friend and aide...he disappeared without a trace. 

Just like how every ruler had a right-hand man, K’xug was such a person to Xue. Losing K’xug was like losing a limb, but Xue always believed K’xug would return back one day.

However, as time went on...Xue’s mental state started to take a toll from all the betrayal and hurt he had experienced. It was his first time in his entire lifetime of two hundred years, to experience such a tragic and painful experience. 

He couldn’t see any hope, he did not understand what hope is anymore. 

Hence, somewhere in his heart, he believed the doubtful and pessimistic thoughts. 

K’xug, his closest aide, has abandoned him.

K’xug had betrayed him. 

The only person by his side was Hana.

It was only Hana that was willing to stay by his side. 

No one was there to guide Xue, to shake the man out of his pessimistic thoughts...to stop him from sinking any deeper into despair. He could only believe what believed, he could only see what he could see. 

Hana wasn’t equipped to handle such a situation either.

What could she tell Xue?

What could she say?

She is someone who was always naive and cheerful, and to be pulled into a completely different world and a completely different Xue so suddenly…

Hana was suffering in her own way. 

Moreover, since everyone knew her as someone precious to Xue, she was an enemy to both sides either. She could not return to the heavenly realm, separated from her parents ever since the war started. 

Thus, all Hana could do was remain by Xue’s side, to support him, since he was the only person that could remain by her side too. 

Both people were suffering, both people were trapped in their own world.

Just like that, overtime, K’xug was forgotten and Xue did not want to pursue a person he had treated as his closest friend, like a brother, like a family. 

K’xug never made an appearance in the novel, and he was only simply mentioned. 

[ Congratulations! You have completed an achievement "K'xug, the Hidden Character"! You have twenty-two achievements remaining. ]

“K’xug…” Cecil asked softly as she lifted her lantern closer to the copper brown-haired man. “Is that really your name?” 

K’xug closed his eyes, nodding once again. 

From the look on his face, Cecil could tell that the man wasn’t lying especially with the way he was gazing between Hana and Xue, a faint smile on his lips. 

Hana felt tears welling in her eyes and Cecil noticed how affected Hana was. 

“I...I don’t know who you are,” Hana stuttered out. “Bu-but how do I know your name? Why...why…” 

Hana clutched at her chest and tears flowed down freely, dripping onto the ground. 

K’xug was confused by Hana’s response, furrowing his eyebrows. Since he couldn’t speak, he could only keep his words to himself. 

She...doesn't know me?

If they were in better circumstances, Cecil would openly admire how Hana looked so gorgeous even when she was crying. 

Hana was so overwhelmed by the abrupt onslaught of emotions that struck her, and her knees shook, she eventually sank to the ground. 

Cecil was left alone to support Xue as she yelped, staggering backwards with Xue leaning entirely on her.

“Cecil, oh my god, I am so sorry!” Hana gasped, quickly rising up to her feet and helping Cecil. 

“It’s alright, it’s alright, let’s just put Xue down on the ground first…” 

The two women cooperated, slowly placing Xue down on the ground and finally, they could put their focus on K’xug. 

Hana couldn’t control the tears streaming down her face, and she could only sniffle, rubbing them away hurriedly. Cecil glanced between Hana and K’xug, conflicted. 

The novel only described the friendship between Xue and K’xug, but not between Hana and K’xug. Cecil had no doubt that Hana and K’xug did know each other, since when Hana knew Xue, K’xug was still there.

The only question I have is...what were they? 

“Hana, let’s help...K’xug down, okay?” 

Hana nodded, forcing herself to stop crying. 

Cecil placed her lantern down, and the two of them approached K’xug. Their actions mimicked one another as they busied themselves with the chains. K’xug gazed between both women, his gaze lingering on the red-haired woman. 

Cecil brought her hand to the chain, and she noticed a mechanism for the chain, pressing down on it. All of a sudden, Cecil saw a seal containing various symbols made out of dark magic appearing in front of her and it spun around rapidly before her eyes, before exploding and scattering into the air.  

She gasped, recoiling back and then she heard a clicking sound and the chain was unlocked. 

K’xug felt the chain around his hand loosening and he could finally freely control his hand after forty long years. He inhaled shakily, observing his left hand as he clenched and unclenched it, his eyes wide in disbelief. 

He raised his head up, looking at Cecil, nodding his head in thanks. 

Cecil nodded back and she withdrew, looking at Hana. 

Hana managed to find the mechanism on her side as well, and as soon as she pressed down on it, there was a crackling sound and Hana felt a sharp pain on her finger that spread to her whole hand, a force throwing her back. 

“Ouch!” 

“Hana!” Cecil shouted out. 

The same pain was felt by K’xug, though it was more intense and he felt like he was being electrified. The pain was unbearable as he gritted his teeth but despite that, he shot his left hand out, grasping Hana’s arm as he pulled her back, preventing her from falling. 

Hana widened her eyes in surprise, her blue eyes meeting his different coloured ones. 

At the same time, Cecil noticed a wispy black mist coiling around K’xug, baffled as she jumped back instinctively. 

The pain was written all over K’xug’s face as he shook his head at Hana. He slowly nudged his head in Cecil’s direction, all the while keeping his eyes locked with Hana. 

Hana blinked rapidly, and somehow she could understand what he was trying to tell her, even though she could not hear him in any manner. 

You cannot free me from the chains.

Only she can, because she is a mortal.

Hana nodded immediately, a small smile on her face. “I understand.” 

K’xug sighed in relief, slowly releasing Hana’s arm. 

Cecil observed K’xug in concern, and the black mist around him dissipated. 

“Cecil, K’xug says you are the only one that can free him!” Hana hollered, pointing to her chain at her side. “You have to do it, I can’t do it!” 

She frowned at Hana, tilting her head. She didn’t hear K’xug speaking, and neither did she see his mouth moving. Nevertheless, her priority was to free K’xug hence she did not dwell on that matter. 

Within seconds, K’xug was finally released from the dreadful chains and he landed on the ground, his legs quivering since he hadn’t touched the ground with his feet for forty years. He tapped his feet on the ground, moving his limbs about. 

I...can finally move around again.  

K’xug turned to Cecil again, nodding his head once again. 

Thank you. 

Cecil nodded her head back, smiling, and she noticed Hana approaching K’xug.

Cecil did not want to interrupt their reunion, hence she went back to Xue’s side. She placed her palm over his forehead, furrowing her eyebrows. 

He’s burning up more and more. 

Cecil started to retrieve a few things from her storage ring, laying them all out in a hurry. 

K’xug kept his wings and he grunted out in pain as he did so, his eyes squeezed closed. 

“Are you okay?” Hana questioned hastily, placing her palm on his back as the concern apparent in her eyes. 

K’xug opened his eyes, looking at Hana, and his eyes travelled from the tip of her head all the way down to her toes. The pained look on his face went away as he met her eyes, he held the softest look in his sharp eyes and his lips quirked into a smile. 

Hana felt her heart skipping a beat as she witnessed his smile, somehow, deep within her, she knew this was a rare sight to see from this man. 

“K’xug…?” Hana prompted again, hesitant.

Though the name sounded so foreign to her ears, when she said his name it was as if the name itself had been engraved in her heart. 

A name she just knew too well, and she would never forget. 

Without any warning, K’xug pulled Hana into a warm, tight embrace. 

Hana was bewildered, her eyes wide and she could feel the man breathing out shakily beside her ears, his arms tightening around her even more. 

The smile on the stoic man widened.

Hana, I am...happy...to see you again. 

It was as if she could feel his joy at seeing her again, and Hana found herself tearing up once again. The tears rolled down her cheeks, plopping onto his bare shoulders as she returned the hug. 

Hana could feel something within her that had dearly missed this man.

I am happy to see you again...K’xug. 

***

Pt. 1

《 start 》

Hana.

Xue.

It...it is truly the two of you.

I never thought I would meet you...again.

I’m glad, so glad to see the two of you again.

...

...damn it!

I think I am going to cry.

I missed the two of you, so much.

If only I could tell you these words, through my mouth, how great it would be. 

《 stop 》

***

Pt. 2

《 start 》

Eat this.

I don’t want to, you eat it.

Xue frowned, chewing on the food with a gloomy expression.

...you haven’t been eating much lately.

I have no appetite. 

Hana shook her head, staring at the fire. 

Why?

My stomach isn’t feeling too good.

Hana lied, forcing a smile on her face. 

Xue stood up, finishing his meat skewer and he summoned his spear as he walked away. 

Xue? Where are you going?

Getting some soft food for you.

Xue disappeared before Hana could stop him.

Hana sighed, looking back at the fire as she hugged her knees, a blank look in her eyes. 

They had been running the entire time, and whenever they encountered enemies, Hana felt Xue changing more and more.

At first, he was hesitant to kill.

After those that he decided to spare, came for her instead, Xue finally steeled his heart to kill them.

When he finally got used to killing, he started to torture them as if venting his anger and misery on them. 

And just yesterday...Hana thought she saw Xue smiling coldly as he slaughtered all the demons and angels before her. 

I’m scared.  

Hana hugged her legs even tighter to herself.

I am so scared. 

The blank look on her face cracked and she looked vulnerable. 

Xue is changing too much for me.

Hana felt something prickling at her eyes. 

I am useless, I am unable to help Xue. 

I am unable to stop him from sinking any deeper. 

Hana blinked rapidly, resting her arms on her knees as she laid her head on them. 

What do I do?

If someone could tell me what to do, to help Xue...to go back to the old days…

Those happy days…

Hana suddenly caught a glimpse of a familiar figure within the trees, and she gasped, shooting her head up. 

...K’xug? 

The figure stepped out, his copper brown hair glimmering in the light and he wore an indifferent look on his face. Yet, he had the softest look in his eyes as he tilted his head, looking at Hana. 

Hana shot up to her feet, wearing a smile on her face. A smile she hadn’t shown in a while. 

You are back! After ten years!

I knew it, you would come back someday, K’xug! We have been waiting, I have been--

The figure grew blurry and a gust of wind blew by, carrying him away. 

It was a hallucination. 

...

The smile dropped from Hana’s face, and she collapsed to the ground. She ducked her head down, her hands digging into the dirt. 

Where did you go, K’xug? 

A tear.

What happened to you, K’xug? 

A second tear.

Xue needs you, K’xug.

A third tear. 

I...miss you, K’xug.

A fourth tear. 

I miss you...so much.

In that moment, Hana sincerely wished the man would by her side, in front of her, without warning like he always did. 

Even though it always scared her.

Right now, at this moment, she truly...

K’xug, I...I need you.

-- Path to the Supreme God

《 stop 》

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 2.6K 65
After a year away from WWE, Riley decides its time to go back. She had to leave due to personal issues and receiving injuries after a match with Char...
384K 16.1K 122
SYPNOSIS Reading Purifying Love made Rachelle D'magiba feel very insulted. The ending that the author had written didn't go well with her expectation...
320K 9.4K 40
Achieved No.1 in #billieeilish. Francis Kingston goes on a night out and bumps into a girl called Billie, whom she is instantly drawn to. The next da...
14.5K 989 11
Mostly True Blood Alpha's are born in the royal families and are the Head Alpha's of their pack, but if the True Blood is born to a commoner's family...