The Fractured Holder [Pokémon...

By ImberLapis

There exists a power that has dwelled in the land of Hyrule for countless millennia. It is the power that hel... More

Disclaimer
00| Reversion
01| Looks Do Deceive
02| Turned Tables
03| Shackled with Another
04| The Holders
05| Correction
06| Kokiri Glade
07| The Overseer and the Overseen
08| Course of Action
09| Fractured Courage
10| A Tenuous Agreement
11| Southern Swamps
12| Loyalty of the Deku
13| The Price of Divinity
14| Fortitude
15| Misplaced Sentiments
16| Admittance
17| Tales of Beasts and Solemn Sands
18| Awash and Overboard
19| Shifting Tides
20| Notes of Wisdom
21| Cracks
22| The In-Between
23| Ascending Descent
24| Of A Feather
25| Village of Red Eyes
26| A Will of Iron
27| Winds from the West
28| Tell-All
29| Fear and Resolve
30| Trust
31| Wayfinding
32| Prelude of Light
33| The Eldin Highlands
34| Doubts of Loyalty
35| Nocturne of Shadow
36| Gerudo Fortress
37| Into the Desert
38| The Healer
39| Arbiter
40| Dark Before the Dawn
41| Strains of Empathy
42| Last Threads
43| Revelation
44| The Dawn Before Dusk
45| The Holder of Courage
47| From Another World
48| Clash of the Holders
49| The King of Hyrule
50| A Wish for the Future
End| Renew
Glossary
Acknowledgments

46| Hyrule Castle

90 7 7
By ImberLapis

For three more days, Link's group continued moving through the forest, always keeping on the move when they weren't camping for the night. Nobody besides the wild Pokémon disturbed them, the best thing they could have happen then. And on the morning of that third day, he arrived.

Link recognized his aura immediately, and he turned his gaze skywards just in time to see the russet blur dive into the tree canopy. He cut through the branches and leaves, flinging out his wings at the last second to grasp at strands of air. Iigo landed in a rush of leaves of twigs, standing up to greet everyone with a sly grin.

"It's quite a joy to see you all again," he crowed.

"Hey, Iigo. Figures they'd send ya or another Rito out to find us," Link said. "They probably had you focusin' on my aura, huh?"

Iigo nodded. "My Rito companions may be more gifted in Aura, but I'm of course a far swifter flier. It only took me a day to get here," he said proudly. While the others greeted him warmly, Ganondorf wasn't as impressed.

"Iigo Melle, wanted all across eastern Hyrule," he stated, looking the Rito up and down. "It figures that you and Renier would share company."

In a second, Iigo's head feathers were nearly scraping the dirt as he bowed deeply. "It's a pleasure to meet the one and only General Ganondorf Dragmire. I can assure you I've turned myself around, thanks to the Sheikah." His lie couldn't be more obvious, but Ganondorf didn't seem to be in the mood to call it out.

"You're obviously our informant, so you can tell us what we need to know as we walk," Ganondorf said. At everybody's disgruntled looks, he said, "We can walk and talk at the same time." He was right about that. Camp had already been broken prior to Iigo's arrival, so it was easy for everyone to gather their gear and head out.

As Zelda and Fira navigated with the compass and map, Link picked up where Ganondorf had left off. "So what's the info?"

Iigo's eyes narrowed with a rare seriousness. "Everyone in the castle has been informed," he affirmed. "If you're going to use the tunnels, enter through the north side at night. Less guards patrol through that side of the city during that time. I'll be accompanying you to the castle, but I will have to leave you once you enter. I have to let the Sheikah know when to carry out their end of the plan."

"Was Impa around to hear any of this?" Link asked, only for Iigo to shake his head.

"She was at the castle when Haruo and the others returned. She's actually been tasked with hunting you down from the shadows, General Dragmire." He glanced at Ganondorf. "You're fortunate that the Sheikah know you're on the Holders' side now, or else you would have been dead days ago." Though his face didn't show it, Link could feel slight trepidation from Ganondorf. "King Daemos hasn't shown himself to anybody. As far as we know, he has sealed himself off someplace in the castle."

"It has to be the archives," Ganondorf said. "I cannot imagine him being anyplace else. But you said nobody has seen him? You Sheikah have those Aura powers, so could you pick up on him at all?"

Iigo had to think for a moment. "If I can recall, he was detected somewhere in the center of the castle, more towards the north section. The Sheikah have been hesitant to approach him because his aura is... it's nothing anybody has had experience sensing before."

That hardly made sense to Link, but right away it sounded disconcerting. "The hell's that supposed to mean?"

"It's... gone rotten," Iigo said with disgust. "That's all I can describe it as, since I fortunately wasn't there to sense it myself. Once you sense it, you'll know what I mean." Link could still recall the black hole that was Daemos' aura the first time they had met, so he couldn't imagine it being any worse.

Zelda gave Link and Luce a concerned look. "That doesn't sound good at all. Is it possible for you and Luce to block auras out?" Luce's ears drooped, and she shook her head. Link elaborated.

"Luce and I can shrink our ranges, but we can never stop sensin'. All we can do is hope to do is power through it when it hits us. Don't worry, we'll be fine."

The fact that one's aura can be described as 'rotten'... Resa muttered. If only we had been able to do something about this before Daemos had reached that point. But there is nothing we can do about it now.

"The Sheikah are supposed to be patrolling the castle tunnels, but of course they all will let you pass," Iigo added. "Of course, it is a matter of getting there first, so we might as well pick up our pace."

—~*~—

After a few more tension-filled days of travel, the group could see Castle City in the near distance. They were almost there. They reached the northern outskirts by nightfall, and after slipping past a small guard patrol, they began making their way through the darkened streets.

Link wasn't happy to be back in the city again, but at least the streets had been emptied thanks to the later hour. Older buildings, more run-down with faded and weathered colors, chipped and broken cobblestones under their feet. Link recalled this side of the city being the "bad side" where he had first met Ganondorf. Guards were easily-avoided thanks to aura-sensing, and the only things that impeded their progress were the wild Pokémon that occasionally crossed their path.

Street by street, they grew closer to a would-be hurdle: the fifteen-foot brick and mortar wall surrounding the castle. There was the wall, and beyond it was a moat. Only after crossing those could the castle hope to be accessed. Of course, the group wouldn't be entering the castle that way.

It took them deep into the night to find it, a trapdoor hidden in a building that was pressed up right against the outer castle wall. The building was a warehouse, apparently only accessible by members of the Prison Guard. It was a cover for its purpose, housing the tunnel entrance. A single Sheikah had been stationed there as a guard, and he seemed relieved when he saw Ganondorf. He had obviously been waiting for everyone.

"It's a relief to see you're safe, General. And it's an honor to meet you, Holders," the Sheikah said while also offering a nod to Iigo. "Be cautious, all of you. Everyone is expecting that you may try to infiltrate the castle, so the tunnels may not be as safe as they seem. We'll still try to keep them clear for you."

"Has His Majesty said anything about this?" Ganondorf asked.

The Sheikah shook his head. "No, sir. He hasn't been seen in over a week now. I pray to Hylia that you can purge him of whatever is infesting him."

"We'll do all we can," Zelda said, trying to sound reassuring.

"I believe you will," the Sheikah agreed. He walked to a corner of the warehouse and opened a trapdoor in the floor. Link was reminded all too much of the tunnel of the fortress when he saw that, but he bit his tongue and followed the others to the opening.

"Good luck," Iigo said. "If you need assistance, I, as well as any other Sheikah, will gladly provide it. I don't wish to lose you, I simply cannot imagine life without you. Also, I don't think I need to say to watch out for your 'Zel.'"

Link gritted his teeth, turning it into a grin as he resisted the urge to punch Iigo. "Thanks. An' just keep an eye out if we do need it."

Ganondorf was the first one down into the tunnel, followed by Luce, Link and Zelda, and then Resa and Fira. With one last look from the two Sheikah left behind, the trapdoor was closed. The darkness was immediate, but it was quickly alleviated by lights from the Holders. Old, dusty stone walls were illuminated, strands of cobwebs hanging loosely from the roof. The tunnels seemed to be built to allow Gerudo passage, so they were not as cramped as Link thought they would be.

So which way are we going? Resa asked.

"Southwest for now, since we'll be taking a more winding route," Ganondorf replied, his voice a low mutter. "Let me know if anything is amiss." He looked pointedly at Link and Luce, and the pair nodded.

Link let his senses spread out as they walked, snaking through the dozens of tunnels around them. There were literally dozens, twisting through the stone like a horde of Seviper. At the very edges of his range further south, Link could sense something. The look Luce gave him showed she sensed it as well, but it wasn't moving closer. Besides that, they were alone.

Time seemed to melt away in the tunnels. Link felt as if they had been walking for hours when it couldn't have been more than a single hour. There was nothing but the black and stone, only kept at bay by Link and Zelda's lights.

Again, detection wasn't a problem. Link and Luce's senses combined with Ganondorf's knowledge of the tunnels rendered any problems moot. This didn't stop the dread from rising in Link. He was expecting to spring at them any moment or even the tunnels to collapse around them. Then there was the fact that he was in these tunnels in the first place, he was back at the castle.

He suppressed a shudder, clenching his jaw so tightly he thought his teeth would crack. Finally, it was hitting him that this was it. Everything he'd gone through in the past six or so months was coming to a head. It was here where either Daemos would be stopped or everyone would die trying. The blade on his back seemed to grow a little heavier then.

"You and Daemos used to play in these tunnels?" Link had to ask, just to turn his thoughts elsewhere. "Guess when you're a city kid, ya have nothin' better to do."

"They were obviously far more interesting when we were younger," Ganondorf replied curtly, sparing Link a glance over his shoulder. "There's stairs up ahead. We'll be heading up towards the archives now. Once we exit out, be prepared for anything."

Link grimaced, rolling his shoulders. "Ya don't need to tell us that," he said. He took a moment to crack his knuckles as well. They were stiff and ached with built-up tension, much like the rest of him. Even doing that wasn't enough. An all-too familiar cold knot coiled in his gut, making him swallow hard to force it down.

To calm himself, he let Farore's essence warm him, loosening that knot somewhat. It flared especially hot on his marked hand, to his surprise. Only then did he notice the pins-and-needles sensation. He'd felt so stiff and numb before that he hadn't realized it. That only meant one thing.

"Zel, is your Triforce mark burnin'?" Link asked.

Zelda's eyes widened, and she nodded. "I-I thought I was imagining it," she said.

"Then His Majesty must be close by," Ganondorf said, his brow furrowing. "We must make haste. Now." There was no arguing with that, and they began to climb the stairs.

A tap on his shoulder made Link jolt, and he looked back at Zelda again. She was staring at him, her lips pursed in a tight line and her eyes filled with worry. Before he could ask what was wrong, he noticed a faint purple flash from Fira's own eyes.

Link? His name, spoken by Zelda, echoed in his mind. It surprised him to hear initially, but he quickly grasped that it was Fira's telepathy. Whatever she wanted to say, she didn't want to say it aloud. I'm scared. His heart sank when she said that. I just had to say it. I know, we have gotten into fights before this, but they weren't like what this could be.

Link grasped Zelda's hand, squeezing it. Don't worry. I'm... scared too, he admitted. But we all got each other, and we'll have the other Overseers. We even have... him. He quickly glanced at Ganondorf. Aren't heroes supposed to 'win the day' or whatever that sayin' is?

And I thought you would be thinking the opposite, she said.

Link smiled at Zelda. It's one part of the stories I'm willin' to believe. He wanted to believe it, because the alternative made his blood curdle at the thought. No matter what happened, he wouldn't let anything happen to Zelda. She was simply too important to him. Now where's that optimism? I'm supposed to be the sad, downer one 'round 'ere.

You're right about that, Zelda said, trying to return Link's smile. That was what he wanted to see before going in to face whatever awaited them.

After they finished ascending the staircase, Ganondorf brought the group to a halt. There was nothing but a flat wall before him, meaning they must have reached the hidden door in the archives. This was potentially the threshold of no return.

Everyone took a minute to catch their breath, arming themselves as they did so. Ganondorf leered at the weapons being drawn, but he kept his mouth shut and drew his broadsword. "Wait," he spoke, and everyone turned their gazes to him. "We try to talk first," he said.

You know that might not be possible, Resa said.

"I know that." A scowl only had a moment to twist Ganondorf's expression before worry tore it down. "But please try to. If not... do what you must." Link looked at him grimly. At least he understood that, and Link couldn't help but pity the man.

Ganondorf turned to the wall, nodding slightly before bringing his hand up to a spot on the wall beside him. There was a deep click in the wall, and a seam of light appeared before the group. Ganondorf hooked his fingers around the seam and pulled, spilling lamplight into the tunnel. On instinct, Link reached out with his senses, but it proved to be a very wrong choice.

When Iigo had described Daemos' aura as rotten, he truly didn't know what to expect. That couldn't have been a better descriptor. It wasn't so much as walking into a wall anymore as it was being swallowed by a tidal wave, and he was mercilessly dragged beneath it and crushed. He staggered back, almost bumping into Zelda.

"Link!" she hissed, grabbing his shoulders to keep him upright. His heart was sent into a thrashing frenzy, his legs feeling suddenly weak as he held back the violent urge to be sick. It was like someone had dropped a literal weight onto him. Malice, anguish, sadness, and pure rage warped into a venom that coursed through Link. At the edges of his consciousness, he grasped that Luce was experiencing a similar sensation.

"So he is here," Ganondorf muttered when he saw Link's reaction. "Pull yourselves together, we have to find him."

Easy for ya to say, Link thought. He forced himself to breathe in and out, lightly meditating until he could get the horrible feelings under control. Luce's stabilizing aura told him she was doing the same, and a glance at his partner's stoney visage was affirmed she was fighting it back. Soon, all that was left of the feeling was a churning ache in Link's guts and the continued burning of his left hand. He straightened up, wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead. He was as ready as he could be.

The archives were deathly quiet, pin-drop quiet. Rows and rows of ceiling-high bookshelves separated the majority of the great room into aisles, each empty except for many a fallen book. They scattered the ground like autumn leaves, some pages having been torn from the spines. Link dared to extend his senses again, revealing nobody except Daemos' oppressive aura.

There's nobody here except Daemos, Link said through Fira. Didn't Daemos have an Incineroar or something?

He does, Ganondorf said, eyes narrowing. She wasn't here the last time I saw him either. Even if his only encounter with the feline involved her nearly smashing his face into the ground, Link felt a deep concern for her. Hopefully she hadn't been hurt or killed.

Slowly but surely, the far end of the archives was reached. Ganondorf had mentioned a balcony where Daemos often spent his time, so that was likely where he was now. It made sense to Link since Daemos' aura seemed almost suspended in the air when he tried to pinpoint its exact location.

While Link had first thought every wall of the archives was a bookshelf, that wasn't the case with the far right wall. Hung upon it were portraits, each three feet tall and painted in exquisite detail. Link had never seen these people in his life, but he recognized them as Hyrulean royalty. Queen Naboora, Queen Iurre, King Raif, and several others trailed the wall to the stairwell leading up to the balcony. The only portrait Link recognized was Daemos', portraying a more optimistic man, a smile faintly playing on his features.

For a moment, Resa stopped before one of the portraits. It was of a Gerudo woman with clear Hylian blood like Daemos. Her hair was a paler red than many Gerudo, hanging in loose curls about her elbows. Her skin was tanned, albeit not very dark, but her Gerudic heritage showed in her sharp facial features: angular but quite beautiful. Her narrow eyes were a piercing silver, the exact hue of Daemos.

That was... me, Resa said, affirming Link's suspicions. Melancholy and remembrance dragged at the Overseer, making Link's heart heavy. It must have been awful to look upon something that once was, especially if it was yourself. Link could tell she wanted to say more, but the others were already at the base of the stairs. Luce turned back to look at Link, gesturing with a paw. Yes, it's time, Resa said.

The flight of stairs was a short but steep one, ending at a wide set of closed—and locked—double-doors. Everyone seemed to take a collective breath then, ending when they trained their eyes on Ganondorf. He nodded, and Luce curled her paw, preparing a Power-Up Punch.

In one swift punch, the doors broke open and slammed outwards, smashing against the outside walls with a force. Through the new wave of the foul aura that flooded the stairwell, he could be seen. He stood at the edge of the wide expanse of balcony, staring out into the late-night darkness.

King Daemos.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 210 12
What if Link was on the verge of death? Goddess Hylia opened up a portal when the hylian hero Link was close to dying at the hands of Calamity Ganon...
108K 5K 44
((read whole description to know what you're getting into xD)) There is a secret hiding in the nation of Hyrule. For centuries this land has been a...
11.2K 296 45
On a journey to save his sister, a boy is caught in a struggle older than the great sea. ====== One thousand years ago, the greatest hero of all Time...
1.8K 120 27
"I'm one hundred percent sure," he replied as he carefully took my hands in his. "Everything will be fine, I promise." +++ Link and Zelda are running...