Second Lead Syndrome (1-187)...

By Rinkou

Transmigrating into a cannon fodder villain from her favourite novel, Cecil Lan, our heroine decides to chang... More

▪︎ introduction & copyright ▪︎
• 1 •
• 2 •
• 3 •
• 4 •
• 5 •
• 6 •
• 7 •
• 8 •
• 9 •
• 10 •
• 11 •
• 12 •
• 13 •
▪︎ end of "Aoi" arc ▪︎
• 14 •
• 15 •
• 16 •
• 17 •
• 18 •
• 19 •
• 20 •
• 21 •
• 22 •
• 23 •
• 24 •
• 25 •
• 26 •
• 27 •
• 28 •
• 29 •
▪︎end of "Academy" arc
• 30 •
• 31 •
• 32 •
• 33 •
• 34 •
• 35 •
• 36 •
• 37 •
• 38 •
▪︎ end of "Indigo" arc ▪︎
• 39 •
• 40 •
• 41 •
• 42 •
• 43 •
• 44 •
• 45 •
• 46 •
• 47 •
• 48 •
• 49 •
• 50 •
• 51 •
• 52 •
• 53 •
• 54 •
• 55 •
• 56 •
• 57 •
• 58 •
• 59 •
• 60 •
• 61 •
▪︎ end of "Zasiok" arc ▪︎
• 62 •
• 63 •
• 64 •
• 65 •
• 66 •
• 67 •
• 68 •
• 69 •
• 70 •
• 71 •
• 72 •
▪︎ end of "Leonaut" arc ▪︎
• 73 •
• 74 •
• 75 •
• 76 •
• 77 •
• 78 •
• 79 •
• 80 •
• 81 •
• 82 •
• 83 •
• 84 •
• 85 •
• 86 •
▪︎ end of "Academy Pt 2." arc ▪︎
• 88 •
• 89 •
• 90 •
• 91 •
• 92 •
• 93 •
• 94 •
• 95 •
• 96 •
• 97 •
• 98 •
• 99 •
• 100 •
• 101 •
• 102 •
• 103 •
• 104 •
• 105 •
• 106 •
• 107 •
• 108 •
• 109 •
• 110 •
▪︎ end of "Death's Edge" arc ▪︎
• 111 •
• 112 •
• 113 •
• 114 •
• 115 •
• 116 •
• 117 •
• 118 •
• 119 •
▪︎ end of "Onwards, to Tul" arc ▪︎
• 120 •
• 121 •
• 122 •
• 123 •
• 124 •
• 125 •
• 126 •
• 127 •
• 128 •
• 129 •
• 130 •
• 131 •
• 132 •
• 133 •
• 134 •
• 135 •
▪︎ end of "Welcome to Tul" arc ▪︎
• 136 •
• 137 •
• 138 •
• 139 •
• 140 •
• 141 •
• 142 •
• 143 •
• 144 •
• 145 •
• 146 •
• 147 •
• 148 •
• 149 •
• 150 •
• 151 •
• 152 •
• 153 •
• 154 •
• 155 •
• 156 •
• 157 •
• 158 •
• 159 •
• 160 •
• 161 •
• 162 •
• 163 •
▪︎ end of "Tournament" arc ▪︎
• 164 •
• 165 •
• 166 •
• 167 •
• 168 •
• 169 •
• 170 •
• 171 •
• 172 •
▪︎ end of "Lord Kiba" arc ▪︎
• 173 •
• 174 •
• 175 •
• 176 •
• 177 •
• 178 •
• 179 •
• 180 •
• 181 •
• 182 •
• 183 •
• 184 •
• 185 •
• 186 •
• 187 •
Maximum Limit

• 87 •

15.8K 978 1K
By Rinkou

Author's note: A correction from my end, this arc will have 2 soul fragments appearing instead!

Cecil knocked on the clinic door, opening it and she stepped in. Since it was time for her to head back to her hometown, she wore back her own maroon gown.

She didn't care to wear a new dress, since she was in a hurry to set off.

"Uhmm...I'm here to return the ointments, again..."

The healer was concocting a herbal mixture on her table, leaning her head back.

"You are finally back with my things?"

Cecil offered the healer an apologetic smile as she returned the ointments. The healer took them back without saying a word, raising an eyebrow when Cecil hasn't left.

"Why are you still here?"

"That...I am actually withdrawing from the academy."

The healer showed no reaction, nodding nonchalantly. "I see."

"Thank you for everything!" Cecil bowed. "I learnt a few things about medicine because of you, and I came to love it as well! I will continue to learn about medicine, and thank you for loaning me all your books."

Cecil looked up, and she was surprised to see the healer gone. She glanced around, seeing the healer heading to another cupboard at the end of the room, filled with books. She took out a couple of books, walking over and shoving them onto Cecil.

"Take these books."

"...?"

"They are farewell gifts."

Cecil widened her eyes, knowing these were all medical books. She had never loaned this before to read either, and she was excited at the thought of reading it.

"Farewell gifts? But..."

The healer that Cecil always knew to be nonchalant and direct, was now smiling kindly at her.

"One day, I hope you can become a great healer yourself."

Though Cecil hadn't been in this academy for long, for the time she was here, she had certainly formed a connection with the people she met. She inhaled deeply, blinking rapidly as she felt something stinging at her eyes.

Without another word, she placed the books aside and gave the healer a hug.

"Thank you."

The healer was surprised, before giving Cecil a hug back.

***

Hana and Xue stood outside the gates, a carriage sending them back to their hometown had been prepared by the principal.

Hana donned a dress of her own, reaching down past her knees, showing off her bare neck and shoulders. The dress was a mixture of white and blue, with a simple design.

She wore the protective glove that Xue had given her as well, and wearing back the same old hairstick Xue gave to her, on her head.

Meanwhile, Xue was dressed in an outfit that Hana had insisted on buying for him when they were exploring the town before. It was a long brown pants, and a matching belt, and a brown shirt with sleeves that reached his elbows. He wore a matching set of brown and white boots to match the outfit too.

In order to complete the look, Hana even threw on a orange-reddish cloak in, the cloak didn't touch the floor, instead, it reached down his back, stopping around his hips.

Hana finished her goodbyes with the teachers and people she knew the academy, slightly teary. Whereas, Xue was nonchalant, he did not even bother to say his goodbyes to any of them.

Once again, they were waiting for Cecil to finish up her business with the healer, and her teacher, Eri.

"Eh, Xue...that cut on your lips..." Hana leaned in, blinking curiously. "You got injured?"

Hana pointed to her own lips, showing the part where Xue got injured.

"No."

Xue took out his hand from his pocket, touching his lips, the look in his eyes softening.

"Then did you...bite yourself?" Hana grinned cheekily.

Xue chuckled lightly. "Not that either."

"Hmmm..."

Cecil carried her own baggage, panting slightly. The driver helped her load the baggage into carriage, and she jogged towards the two of them.

"Cecil, you are finally here!"

Hana smiled happily.

"Sorry, again, for making you wait..." Cecil smiled back, trailing off when her eyes strayed towards Xue.

Xue lifted his finger from his lips at that point, and Cecil saw the obvious cut on it, already healing. The accidental kiss immediately replayed in her mind and her smile dropped as she gasped, her eyes meeting his grey ones.

"Does it still hurt? The cut on your lip?" Hana questioned.

"No, not at all," Xue smirked, still maintaining eye contact with Cecil. "...not in the slightest bit."

Cecil hurriedly looked away.

The atmosphere between them was ambiguous once again.

No matter what it is, Cecil felt that it was rather dangerous!

"I'll sit in the carriage first." Cecil hastened her pace into the carriage.

Hana noticed how the entire time, Xue was only looking at Cecil. She beamed, excitedly getting into the carriage after Cecil. Xue was the last to enter as the driver closed the carriage door behind him.

Cecil and Hana sat opposite one another, both of them digging through their bags, taking out a book. One book was about medicine and herbs, while the other was about cooking.

Without another word, Xue sat beside Cecil, and Hana didn't react to his actions, flipping open her book.

Cecil was the only one who reacted, wearing a funny look on her face as she glanced at Xue and Hana.

Why is Xue sitting beside me again?

The carriage moved, and Cecil blinked rapidly in confusion. She reluctantly opened her book, reading it instead on dwelling on why Xue chose to seat beside her.

It was even worse since Hana showed no visible reaction.

It was as if Xue choosing to seat beside her was the norm.

Xue glanced at Cecil as she read her own book, flipping a page. He smiled softly to himself, admiring her beautiful mien.

***

An hour and half into the journey, Cecil started to feel drowsy. She knew her tiredness was due to staying up late and passing through her gate, again. She placed her book down, crossing her arms as she laid back into the seat, closing her eyes.

Xue was resting as well, opening one of his eyes as he peeked at Cecil.

Within moments, Cecil fell asleep and her body swayed as the carriage rocked slightly. Her head was close to hitting the corner of the carriage, when a hand stretched out and pulled her away gently.

Her head was suddenly laying on someone's shoulder.

Cecil breathed in deeply, still asleep and a few strands of hair fell down, tickling her face.

Xue moved his head down slightly, his hand reaching out to sweep the hair away. His actions were gentle and careful, not wanting to wake the raven-haired woman up.

Hana brought her head up, observing the loving couple before her with a smile.

Xue leaned back into the seat, adjusting her head on his shoulder to a more comfortable position. At that moment, he caught Hana observing them, and he blinked awkwardly.

Hana shrugged at him, her smile becoming playful and she looked back at her book.

The carriage turned a corner, and the bright sun streamed in from the carriage window, hitting Cecil right in the face. Cecil furrowed her eyebrows, making a small noise.

The small noise was heard by Xue, and he looked curiously at Cecil.

She was unconsciously turning away from the sun.

Xue wanted to pull the blinds down, until he saw Hana reading her book, the light streaming in clearly helping her. He paused, glancing back at Cecil before bringing his hand up, shielding her eyes from the sunlight.

The frown gradually dissipated, and Cecil snuggled into Xue's shoulder.

He could feel his heart fluttering at her unconscious actions, and the soul fragments in his head felt the same as well.

She's cute.

Xue smiled lightly to himself.

All of a sudden, the carriage became darker and Xue blinked, realising that one of the blinds had been pulled down.

Xue put his hand down, looking up, noticing that Hana had shifted her position, so the light from the other blind shone down on her book.

"At this rate, it isn't just your shoulder but your hand that will get sore." Hana said, flipping a page softly, never once glancing up.

"I don't mind."

"I don't mind."

They both said at the same time, and Hana nodded while Xue was stunned.

"I knew you would say that."

Hana giggled softly, casting a glance at Cecil, hoping that her giggles weren't waking her up. She had been trying to hold them in for a while.

Xue scratched at his head awkwardly, though his expression was indifferent.

***

"Cecil."

...is that Hana...calling me?

"Cecil."

No...Hana's voice doesn't sound so low.

"Cecil."

But other than Hana and my parents...who would call me so gently like that?

"...she's not waking up...maybe I should carry her again...?"

Cecil opened her eyes in an instant when she recognised that voice.

That voice belonged to Xue.

The man had been the one calling her in that gentle voice.

...and the same man was staring at her right in the eyes, his handsome face extremely close.

She also realised how she was lying on his shoulder.

Oh my god--

Cecil gasped, feeling as if someone had splashed a bucket of cold water over her. She jolted back, her head on the verge of banging against the carriage.

Xue reacted automatically, placing his hand behind her head, his hand absorbing the impact as he leaned in.

A low thud was heard.

They were even closer now.

"...!"

Cecil felt herself going still, just when she was trying to recover from the shocking experience, another one happened.

"We have arrived at your mansion," Xue informed. "Hana went off to see her parents first."

Her mind spinning in confusion.

Why is Xue here with me and not with Hana?

Why was I lying on his shoulder?

Since when did he start to call me by my name so naturally...and so gently?

He...he even shielded my head...

What's happening? Why is happening--

"...I see."

Cecil still felt her head resting on his hand, and she jerked forward. Her eyes were wide and her mind was still filled with questions.

Xue moved back at the same time.

Cecil stood up abruptly, feeling guilty and embarrassed. "Sorry, Xue! About your hand and shoulder, I-I didn't know."

"It's fine," Xue slowly stood up, massaging his shoulders, and his hand was slightly red. "It will heal up quickly--"

Cecil grabbed his wrist, pulling him along gently.

"I'll tell the maids to get something for your sore shoulders," she spoke hurriedly, both of them exiting the carriage. "Come along with me."

They walked down the steps of the carriage, and her words didn't enter Xue's mind, his eyes fixated on the hand that grabbed him willingly.

He stumbled behind Cecil, not saying a word. His gaze lingered on her hand before he glanced up, seeing her tapping her fingers on her chin.

Xue turned his hand slightly, so he could grab at her wrist. The grip on his wrist loosened, and he tugged Cecil back, causing her to halt and she spun around.

"It isn't sore anymore." Xue smiled softly, his hand moving from her wrist to her hand.

"...ah? So quick--"

"You should go see your parents instead."

He entwined his hands with hers, and Cecil widened her eyes.

"Xue, you--"

"Hana should be with them too."

"...your hand--"

Without responding, Xue dragged her along this time, the servants and maids greeting them. Cecil gaped at their entwined hands, flabbergasted.

Just like that, they entered the mansion and Cecil only stared at their hands clasped together.

***

The two families were gathered in the room, settled on the luxurious couches, with Hana chatting animatedly. Cecil joined in from time to time, and Xue nodded silently most of the time, uttering a few words.

Xue sat alone on a couch, opposite Cecil while the two ladies sat beside their mothers. Their fathers sat together on another couch, since their wives wanted to sit beside their daughters.

"So the three of you really withdrew from the academy?"

"Yep!"

"So what do you plan to do now?"

"I'll go wherever Xue and Cecil wants to go!" Hana chirped.

"For now, we have no current plans, mother, father," Cecil told her parents, smiling. "We'll be staying here."

The mothers of the two families were overjoyed at their daughter finally coming back to live together with them.

"Great! That's great! Hana, come here, your mother has bought new dresses for you while you were away!"

"New dresses?" Hana brightened up, before she gasped in realisation. "Oh, mother, I completely forgot! I picked up a new hobby!"

"What is it?"

"Cooking!"

Before everyone knew it, the conversation steered towards Hana and they were all preparing to head to the kitchen. Cecil declined, since she was feeling tired from the trip and she was still trying to recover from being Hana's personal food tester.

Cecil gave her parents a hug, planning to retire to her room. Meanwhile, Hana knew Xue wouldn't go anywhere without Cecil now, immediately ushering the two families out to the kitchen.

She was more than happy to give them "alone time" again.

Cecil remained seated opposite Xue, pouring her tea out. She wanted to drink down another cup of warm tea before resting.

"You aren't joining them?" Cecil asked quietly, sounding tired.

"No."

The steam wafted from the cup, and Cecil stared dazedly at the cup, taking a sip.

"Ouch, hot!"

Cecil heard Xue smiling opposite her, an amused glint in his eyes.

"I was distracted..." Cecil admitted with a small smile.

Somehow, this was a scene she was familiar with. When she first met Xue, and Hana brought him to the room along with her, it was this same exact room, with the same exact marble table and sofas.

She was even sitting in the same place, and at the that time, she burnt her tongue slightly as well due to the hot tea.

She also burnt her tongue because she was distracted.

Xue was having the same exact thought, and his smile was gone.

He remembered the words he had told her back then.

"You don't deserve to have Hana as your best friend."

"You are a weird, pompous woman."

Cecil put her cup down, smiling. "This brings back memories."

"You called me a weird, pompous woman," she laughed to herself. "You even disliked me for staying near Hana."

"..."

"...sorry."

Cecil was shocked, almost dropping the tea cup.

Even the soul fragments inside Xue were astonished to hear him apologising.

"Wh-what do you have to be sorry for, Xue?"

"For saying those words to you."

"But Xue...you didn't trust me, and I know, you are doubtful of everyone." Cecil furrowed her eyebrows, shaking her head.

You are doubtful of everyone because of what happened to you.

"At that time, your words were truth...in a way." Cecil added on.

That was how the old Cecil Lan was like.

Xue stared at Cecil, his gaze softening as he sighed.

"Why do you like to undervalue yourself in such a manner?"

"...I do?" Cecil blinked in confusion.

Xue stood up from the couch, taking a step towards Cecil. "You always do, like--"

The soul fragments started acting up in Xue's mind, except for Leonaut who yawned.

Kai: "Another soul fragment."

Alric: "It-it's close...super close!"

Zasiok: "It's definitely heading your way, Xue."

Cecil noticed the change in mood, standing up as well.

"Xue? What's wrong?"

"A soul fragment is heading towards us," Xue narrowed his eyes. "And fast."

***

Pt. 1

《 start 》

How strange.

It's just a simple gesture.

A simple gesture of holding my hand.

...yet, it comforts me more than anything else, and I find myself smiling.

I...I am in trouble.

I am falling deeper and deeper, but I do not want to stop it.

Even if it's bad or good.

Even if it hurts me or not.

Even if it's not fated or fated.

I still want to continue liking you.

《 stop 》

***

Pt. 2

《 start 》

I should not have listened to that bastard!

I should not have wandered here!

I should not have trespassed this mansion...

《 stop 》

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 809 109
Charlotte is a Viscount's daughter who is in love with someone engaged. Her love will never come to fruition no matter how much she longs for it. A h...
4.7K 261 12
Harley Sinclair finds herself attracted to bad boys. Not only do tattoos and motorcycles attract her, but she loves a walking red flag. Does he have...
233K 8.4K 63
After a year possessed as an extra, I picked up the dying mastermind. But this man seems to have amnesia. "What kind of relationship were we?" And a...
772K 32K 45
Veronica "Ronnie" Nash never thought that she would turn to her mother's old love when she faced trouble. But, when Ronnie is facing certain danger a...