Phoenix: The Risen ✔️

By illiteratehomebody

Phoenix watched her closely, his eyes darting down to her tongue that poked out briefly to wet her lips. He w... More

Cast
S e p t e m b e r
F r i e n d s
T o u c h
W a l k s
S t r a w b e r r y
S o l a c e
K i s s e s
S o f t
T h e G a m e
L i p s
S k i r t s
D i n e r
P D A
J a c k
N o s e y
C u d d l e s
O h M y G o d
P a r t y
H e l p
D a d
X a n
H o n e s t
C a l m
S e c r e t s
B i t e
L a t e
D e b a t e
S h o t s
L i e s
A p o l o g y
S t u m b l e
S h o w e r
N e e d
G o o d n i g h t M o o n
F e e l i n g s
B a m b i
R e t u r n
C i n n a m o n
S i r
F or g i v e
R u m o u r
T i g h t S p a c e s
G r e e n h o u s e
Mine
Thanksgiving
Completed

R e t r o

84K 2.3K 1.3K
By illiteratehomebody

"It's been so long since we've all hung out."

"I know. You've been pretty MIA lately." Owen said pointedly.

Penelope rolled her eyes but still smiled, truly happy to spend time with her closest friends.

The usual gang decided to head to the local roller skating rink, considering they hadn't gone out together in a while. The retro building was one of their favourite chill spots- mostly because of the greasy food and 80s disco music.

"I haven't been missing Owen, I've been busy. There's a difference." She reached a hand up to ruffle his hair, making him react instantly and push her arm away.

"Whatever, just hurry up I'm starving."

Penelope shook her head with a giggle but squealed when Olivia suddenly linked their arms, pulling them through the doors in a flurry.

"You owe me so much tea baby cakes. I literally haven't seen you since the whole fucking police escapade."

The shorter girl rose a brow as they stood in line to get their roller skates.

"I've been in class Olly, where have you been? Do you even go to school anymore." She teased lightheartedly, but her eyes glimmered with interest when an uncharacteristic blush warmed her friend's cheeks.

"Okay now I'm really interested. What's been going on with you?!"

Olivia hushed her friend and her face only grew more warm.

"Don't be so loud, jeez." She whispered. Her eyes constantly flickered between Penelope and someone behind her so the shorter girl turned her head to investigate.

She only saw Owen and Mark laughing  together and her eyes narrowed as she really tried to get her spidey senses tingling. Sure enough, she noticed Owen's blue orbs flicker in their direction in such a subtle manner anyone could miss it.

Unfortunately her examination was cut short when Olivia pulled her harshly when the line moved forward.

"Are you guys together?!" Penelope squeaked as quietly as possible. Her wide eyes looked at her friend so expectantly- you would think she just agreed to buy her the newest iPhone.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Now please tell this nice lady your size."

The brunette furrowed her brows but quickly realized they had reached the counter. It was a wooden structure that had chipped edges to show its age and an older woman was looking down, waiting for her to speak.

"Hi! Can I have something in a size 6 please and thank you."

The woman nodded and easily found the small pair of roller skates, looking to Olivia to give her size next.

"8 Please. Thanks."

The two took their roller skates and moved to a booth to put them on and wait for the boys.

"Your not getting off that easily. I know you've liked Owen for a long time. Have you guys been doing stuff? Dirty stuff??" Penelope's brows wiggled suggestively and she laughed when Olivia nudged her with an eye roll.

"Okay fine...We've been messing around I guess."

"I knew it! How long has this been going on? Are you dating?"

"Is who dating?"

Mark slid into the booth dramatically with Owen following. The former looked on expectantly as he laced up his skates.

"Zayn and Gigi. Apparently they're back together again- and hopefully so, they'd make gorgeous babies."

Olivia but in quickly and flawlessly Penelope would add. Mark simply laughed and shook his head at their interest in A-list celebrities.

"Alrighty then. Yo remember that essay I told you guys about- the one that I did in one night. I got a C! Isn't that crazy? I mean that has to be some kind of world record."

"That's not something you should be celebrating buddy. It's pretty shit actually." Owen laughed at his friend, even more when he was punched lightly in the side.

"Hey guys, how's it going?"

The group looked up when a familiar female voice spoke, all eyes flickering in recognition.

"Oh shit, hey Fiona! I forgot to mention that I invited her- that's not a problem right?"

The lot shook their heads, not having an issue with the addition. Olivia stood to greet the girl and gave a short hug, ushering her to take a seat.

"Sorry I'm late. I had to drop my brothers off at the babysitter and they would not cooperate with me- it was hell really."

Penelope has also not really spoken to Fiona much since the party. Partly because they didn't share any classes but also because she was trying not to see her- to say it in the least offensive way possible.

The curly haired girl had a very similar personality to Olivia so she wasn't surprised that they got along well, but she was just too eccentric for Penelope. In other words, she popped the kind of pills that were definitely not Flintstone vitamins.

Penelope hasn't really seen her much in the halls anyway so avoiding her really wasn't that big an issue. Except when she was sat right next to her, looking into her eyes as if she was waiting for something.

"I'm sorry what?" Penelope asked as her ears tuned back into the real world.

"I said it's been a while since I've seen you. How is everything?"

"Ya, things have been great. I mean school is school but besides that it's been pretty good. How about you?"

Fiona shrugged and proceeded to put her curls up in a messy bun.

"The same shit, nothing special."

"Well I would love to sit and talk but I came here to roller skate so..." Mark interrupted the conversation and stood up, practically pulling Penelope out of her seat.

They all laughed at his impatience and made their way to the rink. Colourful lights flashed on the floor, walls and ceiling, with a stereotypical disco ball dangling from above.

The music pulsed through the air in a rhythmic fashion, capturing everyone in a retro-themed trance. How could you not love it.

Not wasting anymore time they all got on the floor and skated to their hearts content. Penelope was quite good at the sport if she were to say so herself. She was able to twist, turn and go backwards at a speedy pace but make it look as easy as walking.

Her friends always exclaimed their envy at her ability to make something look so effortless and elegant but they always hyped her up regardless.

The group laughed and raced for a few hours before deciding to take a food break. Although Fiona grabbed Penelope's arm as she went to follow her friends.

"Hey can I talk to you for a second?"

An odd request but Penelope nodded nonetheless. She plastered her signature smile on her face in a comforting gesture.

"Ya of course."

They skated over into the corner of the rink, which was darker but more saturated in multi-coloured lights. Penelope tried to smooth down the baby hairs that had freed themselves from her high ponytail but to no avail.

"I just want to know how you're doing. How you're really doing."

The shorter girl tilted her head in confusion.

"Sorry, I'm not following."

Fiona's eyes softened to portray sympathy and a hand came to rest on Penelope's shoulder.

"I know it's not my place to say, or anyone's to be honest. But I just want to make sure that you're okay."

The shorter girl's eyes flickered from the hand on her shoulder back to the brown eyes in front of her.

"It's just that you seemed kind of...trapped, when we saw each other at school last. Maybe controlled is the right word but I just want to be a good friend and ask if everything is okay between you and Phoenix."

At the mention of her boyfriend, Penelope's arms wrapped around her stomach in a protective manner. Her green eyes looked on warily at Fiona's insinuation.

"What are you trying to say exactly."

A reluctant sigh passed dark lips and her brown eyes looked away from her face for a second before meeting her eyes again.

"Is Phoenix hurting you in some way? Manipulating you? Threatening you? He's an intimidating guy so I would understand if you were scared to say somethi-"

"No! No of course not, what the fuck?"

Penelope pulled back from Fiona's touch and her eyes widened at her own profanity. She seemed to spit the words out like they were poison and even flinched as if they had harmed her.

Pink lips parted to apologize but they closed quickly as she immediately thought better.

Silence surrounded the two for a moment, both in shock at the outburst. Penelope's heart hammered against her chest like it wanted to get out and its owner could definitely relate to the feeling.

"Phoenix is not abusive." The word itself left a bad taste on her tongue. "H-he may be big and look mean but he's actually a sweetheart and really, really soft. He would never hurt me."

Her brows furrowed in disbelief at the accusation and she felt even more betrayed that these words had come from someone she thought of as a friend.

"Look Penelope, I didn't mean to offend you or create tension between you and him. I'm honestly just trying to look out for you."

Penelope's nose twitched and her throat burned as she tried not to get emotional. She was a sensitive girl, and defaming her boyfriend simply felt like a personal attack.

"What would even make you think that?"

"When I asked if you wanted to go to the party, he answered for you. You're more than capable of making your own decisions so that seemed like a red flag to me."

Hearing it out loud did make the situation sound bad. However, she liked that Phoenix made decisions for her sometimes. His possessive nature and dominance were extremely attractive to her even if she was too embarrassed to admit that out loud. She liked that he was much bigger than her- stronger even. It made her feel safe and small but that didn't make him a bad person.

"Well you don't need to worry. I'm fine, truly. I...I let him have that control in our relationship. I'm happy."

Her cheeks grew pink at sharing that information but it needed to be said to reassure Fiona that she wasn't in harms way.

The brown-eyed girl in front of her rose a brow but didn't say anything else. It was obvious that she wanted Penelope to elaborate on what she said but for now she wouldn't push further. In fact, their conversation had made her even more interested in their relationship and the man in question.

"I'll take your word for it then."

Penelope released a small breath and she felt her chest deflate in relief. Although the conversation was over, she still felt uncomfortable skating back to her friends and rightfully so.

"Hey what took you guys so long." Olivia asked as they neared the table. There was already a heap of food that Mark had helped himself to, and it was very unlikely he would finish it all. The thought made Penelope giggle to herself quietly.

"Just catching up." Fiona answered as she sat down.

The shorter girl decided to sit next to Owen, not particularly wanting to be in close proximity to the curly haired girl after their little chat.

"You okay Elly?" He murmured, noticing that she was unusually quiet.

Penelope shrugged and helped herself to a fry.

"Yeah, I'm just tired."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 250 31
Penelope is the girl everyone at school made fun of because of her weight. She always thought no guy would ever give her a second look until him. Aa...
30.4K 820 28
[BXB] "Promise me you'll stay strong, for me, for us" Smiling at the older boy below him Blake rested his forehead upon Alec's. "I promise" Hearin...
2.9M 121K 45
[Book 1] After his disastrous marriage, Aidan Demos swore he would never fall in love again. His love life reduced to one night stands spent tying ra...
7M 142K 31
Book 1 in Dominant Series • Mia has spent most of her life in an orphanage-sheltered and with little joy. Shortly after her eighteenth birthday, howe...