The Business Man's Family (Wa...

By angel48183

Valeria Powers is the youngest child of Lacey and Vincent Powers. She decides to follow her father into the b... More

The businessman's family
Grocery shopping
The surgery
Recovery
Compassion
Treatment
Hair loss
Heart to heart conversation
Headpiece
Surprise
Festival
Control
Hide and seek
Confession
Understanding
Falling
Taking a leap
Take this heart
Growing closer
Planning
Hope
Investigation
A day out
Reflections
Reunion
Angel's lullaby
All the ways
Ringing the bell
Preparing for a wedding
Landon and Quinn's wedding
The next day
Thankful
A Christmas of hope
Returning to work
Surprise
Pregnancy
A year later
Happily ever after
A meeting of two different, similar worlds

Discovery

5.2K 344 28
By angel48183

Valeria

All week, I felt horrible about the treatments. The doctor gave me a break for the weekend. I needed it. Cameron cleaned me up after I got sick and made sure that I ate.

I laid in bed, hugging my pillow when Cameron checked on me.

"How are you feeling?" Cameron asked with concern.

"Useless," I mumbled, laying there. That's how I felt most days. I know most people would say I shouldn't feel that way because of the treatments, but it's difficult not to feel like it. I'm more productive in my life and strive to follow in my dad's footsteps.

Cameron crouched in front of me as I looked at him.

"Since you have no treatments this weekend, I want to take you to the festival," Cameron mentioned.

I looked at him suspiciously. The last time we were to go to the festival, I was extremely sick. I didn't want to get my hopes up, then have them dashed.

"You need to get out of this bed and house. Staying here isn't helping to lift your spirits. Plus, it will be fun," Cameron added, giving me a soft smile.

I gave him a doubtful look.

"It will help," he reasoned.

I sighed and nodded. What did I have to lose?

******
Cameron

Once Valeria agreed to attend the festival, I went and made her some lunch. I grabbed fruits and vegetables along with other items to make a light meal for her. I made sure to include the half brownie to increase her appetite. I know I would have to pick up some more at some point since we were running low.

While I prepared lunch, I heard a knock at the back door. I turned to see my dad standing there. I put down my knife and walked over to the door.

"It seems we need to talk," Dad mentioned, and I sighed.

I stepped outside. "How did you find me?" I questioned.

"It's not difficult, considering Vincent went to the same treatment center in town. When you mentioned special treats, I figured it out," Dad answered, giving me a knowing look.

"Is Vincent with you?" I inquired, hoping Vincent wasn't.

"No," Dad replied. "Vincent doesn't know that I'm here."

I looked at my dad.

"Why did you lie, and what's wrong with Valeria?" Dad asked me.

"Valeria's sick," I answered. My dad looked at me, questionably. "She has breast cancer."

My dad's expression contorted into shock, and he furrowed his brows.

"The doctor diagnosed Valeria with malignant tumors in both breasts. They removed the breasts along with lymph nodes under each arm. She began an aggressive treatment of chemotherapy. Dad, the treatment is wreaking havoc in her," I explained.

"Cameron, you need to tell Lacey and Vincent," Dad advised.

"Valeria doesn't want them to know," I replied, shrugging.

"You can't keep this from them. Vincent and Lacey are Valeria's parents," Dad mentioned.

"I can't tell them not after what happened before this situation. You didn't see Valeria when she told me about her diagnosis. The girl who had control over everything, lost it," I reasoned.

My dad looked at me, suspiciously. Then he realized a vital detail.

"You fell in love with Valeria, didn't you?" Dad questioned.

I said nothing, which confirmed my answer.

"Cameron," my dad said in a warning tone.

"I didn't mean to, but it's difficult for it not to happen," I said, knowing I broke a rule in the contract.

I turned and walked over to the railing. I placed my palms on it and looked into the distance. Dad walked over and stood next to me with his hands in his pockets.

"How do you keep from falling in love with someone who you knew your entire life? I know Vincent hired me to protect Valeria, but watching her struggle is difficult," I said, not looking at my dad.

"Because you become a different person than when you were younger. People change over time. They grow or remain complacent. There is no in-between with that," Dad explained.

I reached up and rubbed my face, then ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

"Cameron, I can't tell you not to fall in love with someone, but I can advise you to be careful. You will have to make a decision when this is over," Dad reminded me.

I looked at my dad. "You're not telling Vincent, are you?" I asked curiously.

"I should, but no. The last thing Valeria needs is added stress during this time. It will not make Vincent happy, but sometimes you put someone else's happiness first, even if it means pissing off your boss," Dad commented, smirking.

"You have a bizarre relationship with Vincent," I mentioned.

"Yeah, but it works," Dad scoffed.

I chuckled. Eventually, Dad left, and I went back to making Valeria's lunch. The one thing I knew about my dad is if he wanted to tell Vincent, he would. I wondered why he didn't say something?

******
Cruz

I left the beach house and walked to my car. I got inside and sat there. I turned and looked at Landon, who sat in the passenger seat.

"Well," Landon asked.

"You were right," I answered. "What made you think that Valeria and Cameron came here?"

"It was the one place we felt as safe as kids. Mom and Dad told us if we ever need a safe place to go to the beach house, and they would find us," Landon answered.

I looked at Landon. I remember when Vincent bought this house. I started working as his bodyguard.

Flashback

I pulled up to a house and got out of the car as Vincent emerged from the backseat. A woman stood on the front porch dressed in business attire.

Vincent walked towards the lady as I followed.

"Mr. Powers, it's nice to meet you," the woman greeted Vincent.

"Save your pleasantries, Ms. Rhodes. I neither have the time and patience for your flirtation," Vincent spoke abruptly.

"I assure you that I'm a professional," the woman admonished.

"I find that doubtful. I came here to retrieve a key, not listen to your spiel. Since I purchased the house and own it, I appreciate you handing me the key," Vincent spoke dismissively.

"Cruz," Vincent said in a tone I knew too well.

I walked towards the woman and snapped my fingers, gesturing for the key. She handed it to me; then, I escorted the woman to her vehicle. She protested, but I ignored it. I witnessed how Vincent could act when his irritation grew. It was a behavior I learned about him.

I returned to the house and handed Vincent the key. He opened the door and entered with me following him.

"I want furniture ordered, and the den adorns with books," Vincent informed me.

"What about television?" I questioned.

"Television is useless. It provides nothing for me. I prefer to read. I want the furnishings comfortable," Vincent instructed.

"Is there any specific reason why?" I questioned.

"You need not worry about my reasons. Do as your told," Vincent ordered, walking away.

That tone told me not to ask any more questions. Vincent was a difficult man to read. He had reasons for what he did and the purchases he made. I learned this quickly.

End of flashback

"Your dad bought this house because of your Aunt Lexie," I mentioned.

Landon looked at me, curiously.

"Your aunt had breast cancer, and Vincent wanted to make sure she was comfortable. She also died here," I added, surprising Landon.

"Dad never told us that. He said they named Lexie after his sister," Landon mentioned.

I looked at Landon. "Because your dad refuses to discuss it. Lexie's death broke him since he was with her when she died," I told Landon.

"I knew something was wrong with Valeria when I saw her last. I asked, and she wouldn't tell me," Landon growled. "Why would she tell me?"

"Because we're afraid that if we tell people the truth, it will destroy them. Landon, getting angry over a situation, does no one good, especially the person it involves. All you can do is be there when they come to you," I reasoned.

"Will you tell Dad?" Landon asked me.

I looked at Landon. "I will let your parents know that Valeria is okay, but I will not disclose her location. Sometimes you have to place someone's welfare over a person's demands," I explained.

That surprised Landon. I knew it would piss off Vincent, but this isn't about him. Not everything needs his control, and his daughter needs someone to put her first. I started the car and pulled away.

********
Vincent

I sat in my office, looking out the window.

"Sir, your two o'clock meeting is in the conference room," Sylvia announced.

"Cancel it," I said, not turning around to face Sylvia.

"Sir," she said.

"I said cancel it. If you can't follow orders, then find another job," I answered, not flinching. I detested when my employees protested me. I paid their salaries and expected them to do as told.

"Yes, sir," Sylvia replied, leaving my office.

My irritation grew expansion-ally. I swiveled around in my chair and pulled up a file on the computer.

"I find it unbusinesslike that you refuse a meeting," I heard someone say at my office door.

I glanced to see a man standing there and went back to work. "I don't care what you find. Your opinion means little to me," I replied with a coldness in my tone.

The man entered my office and sat down in a chair in front of my desk. I closed the file on the computer and looked at him.

"I deserve a meeting since you ousted me from my company," the man declared.

I looked at Richard Hawthorne. He's your typical smarmy businessman. I knew his type well.

"You deserve nothing. Your business tactics caused your ousting," I said, standing up. I walked around my desk towards Richard. "You demand a meeting when you have nothing to offer. You have no clout, and no one will come near you. You're toxic with business. I merely showed people the truth," I explained.

Richard stood up and faced me. "It must be nice to think that you're powerful, demonstrating control over every aspect of your life. It surprises me that you didn't have the same control over your daughter when I bedded her. Valeria was so naive and ripe for the picking," Richard mentioned, pissing me off.

I let my anger rip, punching Richard, making him fall to the ground, then I went after him. He tried to defend himself, but I hit him repeatedly, throwing him against the wall.

"You went after my daughter, and I will end you," I spoke through gritted teeth as my fist connected with his face.

Someone rushed into my office, pulling me off Richard as he laid on the floor, bloody. Cruz held me back as he told Emmy to call 911. My employees stood at the door, shocked.

Cruz looked at everyone. "Not a word to anyone. You signed a confidential agreement. Now get back to work," Cruz ordered.

My employees dispersed as I stood there with my hand throbbing. Cruz released new and tended to Richard. An ambulance arrived, and the paramedics took Richard out on a stretcher. One paramedic checked my hand, cleaned it, and wrapped it.

They left, and I sat down on a couch, careful with my hand.

"What were you thinking?" Cruz questioned.

"Richard Hawthorne went after Valeria on purpose. He's lucky that I didn't kill him," I said with a coldness.

"Vincent, you need to stop," Cruz ordered me.

"That's my daughter. Do not order me regarding my children," I warned Cruz.

"Valeria is your daughter, but you attacking people doesn't help," Cruz replied.

"What do you want me to do? Sit idle and allow this?" I questioned.

"No, but understand Richard came here intending to anger you, exposing your weakness. Look, Valeria is fine," Cruz informed me.

Vincent looked at me with furrowed brows and rose to his feet. "Did you find her?" I asked.

"I spoke to Cameron. He's doing his job," Cruz answered, dodging my question.

I gave Cruz a look.

"Trust me, Valeria is safe. You are a different story," Cruz mentioned. He pulled out his cellphone and made a call. The legal ramifications of what transpired in this office were substantial. It's a good thing I have excellent attorneys.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 49.3K 52
| 𝐀 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 | When two powerful figures collide, there is bound to be a disaster. Zane Roman, a business tycoon. St...
1M 47.5K 40
Lacey never planned on breaking rule number two, but she did. When she signed a contract with Vincent Powers, she never expected it to fall in love w...
2.5M 61.7K 83
Arranged Marriage Evelina Maddison Camilli is an aspiring American fashion designer. Her goal is to prove to her parents that fashion design could b...
211K 4.4K 36
"I give you permission to take me to your bed in any position you want, slow or fast, hard or gentle, to never leave your bed side until you satisfie...