The Business Man's Family (Wa...

By angel48183

Valeria Powers is the youngest child of Lacey and Vincent Powers. She decides to follow her father into the b... More

The businessman's family
Grocery shopping
The surgery
Recovery
Compassion
Treatment
Hair loss
Heart to heart conversation
Surprise
Discovery
Festival
Control
Hide and seek
Confession
Understanding
Falling
Taking a leap
Take this heart
Growing closer
Planning
Hope
Investigation
A day out
Reflections
Reunion
Angel's lullaby
All the ways
Ringing the bell
Preparing for a wedding
Landon and Quinn's wedding
The next day
Thankful
A Christmas of hope
Returning to work
Surprise
Pregnancy
A year later
Happily ever after
A meeting of two different, similar worlds

Headpiece

5.1K 364 75
By angel48183

Valeria

I continued my treatments, making me sicker, and my hair falling out completely. Cameron gave me treats to help with my appetite. I don't know where he bought these, but it increased my desire. That made me grateful.

I searched my room for something to cover my bald head. I found a ridiculous hat in the closet and put it on. I heard someone chuckle as I looked at Cameron.

"What are you wearing?" He asked me, pointing at my hat.

"I needed something to wears on my head," I answered, trying to maintain my dignity.

"And you thought that wearing a ridiculous hat would help?" Cameron questioned with a look.

"Well, yes," I replied.

Cameron roared with laughter. I reached up and removed the hat from my head.

"It's better than looking at a bald head. Maybe it would keep people from staring at me," I whispered.

Cameron stopped laughing, and I put the hat back. I walked over and sat down on the foot of the bed. What little dignity I had left evaporated. He left the bedroom, and I sighed. I reached up and ran my palm over my scalp. It's stupid to worry about what people think, but did you ever have people stare at you? It's unnerving.

It's bad enough that I'm receiving treatments, which wreak havoc on my body. I just wanted to look beautiful since I didn't feel like it.

Cameron returned and sat down on the bed next to me. He pulled out a bandana with jewels on it and held it up to me.

"Did you bedazzled a bandana?" I questioned with a look.

"Well, we can't have you wear something ugly. A beautiful woman shouldn't subject herself to something plain," Cameron said, putting the bandana on my head and tying it.

I reached up and felt the jewels on it. I stood up and walked over to the mirror, then looked at my reflection. A smile curled upon my lips.

"It makes me look like a princess," I said, admiring the bandana. Cameron made it look stylish and not flashy.

Cameron walked over to me and stood behind me. "Isn't that what you are?" He asked.

I looked at Cameron.

"But I wouldn't say princess, but a queen. See, a queen is more badass than a princess, and in chess, the queen is the strongest," Cameron explained.

"Oh, I don't think that I'm a queen," I mentioned, touching the bandana.

"Why not?" Cameron asked.

I turned to face him. "Because I'm not strong. I'm hanging on barely," I said, looking at Cameron.

Cameron teacher for my hands and held them. "Valeria, you're stronger than you know. You need to believe in that," he told me.

I noticed how gentle Cameron was with me when he held my hands. It was affection I hadn't felt in a long time. It felt lovely.

*****
Cameron

I looked at Valeria wearing her bandana, feeling my heart beat fast. I leaned down and captured her lips with mine. The kiss started gently; then, I deepened it. Valeria responded with kissing me back.

I know I shouldn't have kissed Valeria, but something about her, made me want to kiss her. Then I broke from our kiss.

"What's wrong?" Valeria asked with a questionable look.

"I shouldn't have done that," I said, walking away.

I left the bedroom and went downstairs, then went for a run. I needed to clear my head. I was developing feelings for someone I shouldn't. Vincent is paying me to protect Valeria, not fall for her.

I ran along the shoreline of Lake Michigan, thinking about everything. When this treatment is over, Vincent will terminate my position since I violated the contract. The problem was, I didn't want to leave Valeria. How do you stop your feelings deepening for someone? You don't.

*******
Valeria

I touched my lips and smiled. It was the first time that someone kissed me like that. Not even Richard kissed me like that.

I knew Cameron my entire life and never saw him more than the competition. Something changed since he became my bodyguard. At first, we didn't even get along, but now he was doing anything he could to make me smile.

I left the bedroom and came downstairs. I searched for the beach house, but Cameron wasn't here. I furrowed my brows. I hoped he didn't feel the kiss was a mistake.

I sat down on the couch and touched the bandana. A smile curled upon my lips. Cameron made me feel pretty when I looked hideous. I giggled as I thought the jewels connected to the fabric. How can something so simple make someone happy? It wasn't fancy, but it made me feel beautiful.

*******
Cameron

I returned from my run and came into the house to see Valeria sitting on the couch. Then I heard it. She was giggling as she moved her fingers over her bandana. I stopped and leaned against the doorframe, crossing my arms.

The more Valeria touched the bandana, the more she giggled, then she noticed me standing there.

"Sorry, I was enjoying feeling pretty," Valeria said, looking away.

"There's nothing wrong with that," I reasoned.

I walked over to the couch and sat on the couch arm.

"I know it's stupid, but I thought if I looked hideous, then it make things easier," Valeria reasoned, shaking her head.

"I don't think it's stupid at all. It helps lift the spirits," I mentioned.

I watched her touch the fake jewels and giggle. It amazed me that the bandana cost less than the clothes Valeria wore, and she enjoyed it more.

"So, when did you become the bedazzle king?" Valeria asked me.

"Recently," I answered. "When you were taking a siesta, I found a craft's store in town. I picked up fabrics and the kit to create a headpiece for you."

"Well, I love it. It's comfortable and stylish. Plus, I won't look like a troll," Valeria joked.

I slid down the arm of the couch and looked at her. "I don't think you look like a troll. Even if you wore nothing on your head, you would still look beautiful," I complimented her.

"You're saying that because my father is paying you," Valeria said with a disbelieving look.

"No, your father doesn't pay me to be kind to you," I replied.

Valeria looked at me, and I looked at her. Why didn't I see how beautiful she was growing up? There was something about Valeria that drew you to her.

"How was your run?" Valeria asked me.

"It helped clear my head about things," I answered, not elaborating.

Valeria gave me a soft smile, and I returned it. Later on, we talked about things that happened to us while growing up when we had dinner. I laughed when Valeria told about Lexie and Landon.

"I bet your dad felt unamused with your antics," I mentioned, sipping my drink.

"Dad would get annoyed, but he never struck us. Even if he lost his temper, Mom would step in and make sure he didn't go to the extremes. Remember the trips to Spain?" Valeria asked me.

"I remember falling into a grapevine," I answered, making her laugh.

"I remember that. Dad laughed, watching Cruz untangle you. He said it was karma for Cruz hassling him," Valeria giggled.

"Yeah, Dad wasn't happy. He asked if I found a different way to make wine because that wasn't it," I said, making Valeria chortled.

"I think I'm done eating," Valeria said, setting down her plate. She ate half of her meal, which was excellent. It worries me more when she doesn't eat at all.

I finished my dinner, then picked up her plate, but Valeria stopped me. "I want to help. I feel useless," she mentioned.

I nodded, and she took her plate into the kitchen. I followed Valeria, and she helped me clean up the kitchen. I watched her wash dishes. When a person has cancer, they should laugh about building their immunity. Every article and book I read, said laughter is significant.

"If you're feeling up to it, we should do something tomorrow," I mentioned.

"Like what?" Valeria asked me.

"There's a festival happening in town. We could go and check it out," I replied.

"I haven't been to a festival in a long time. I would like that," Valeria said whimsically.

"We'll play it by ear tomorrow. If we go and you feel tired, you let me know. Deal?" I asked, extending my hand.

"Deal," she said, shaking my hand.

I held Valeria's hand, not wanting to let go. I never wanted to let go, and I broke a rule in the contract.

"You can release my hand," Valeria whispered.

"What if I don't want to let go?" I whispered.

Valeria looked at me in awe. I looked at her with hope.

"Then don't," Valeria whispered. A smile curled upon my lips as one curled on hers.

The truth was I started falling for Valeria the day that she told me about her diagnosis. I saw this vulnerability to her that I never saw. The coldness disappeared, and a tenderness appeared.

My dad told me that when someone guards their heart, they produce a facade. It terrifies a person to open up to someone and allow the other person to love them. The person's afraid if they fall, no one will catch them. It takes the right person to never let that happened.

I wanted to be the one to catch Valeria. I hoped she lets me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 2.9K 20
{Mature Theme, 18+} {COMPLETED} Kian Manchester - A 19 year old high school graduate. He dosen't have much, it's a struggle everyday. His parents die...
781K 19.8K 41
Twenty-three year old Anastasia "Stacey" Marks starts working as a secretary at Havens Enterprise. She falls for her attractive yet harsh boss, Vince...
211K 4.4K 36
"I give you permission to take me to your bed in any position you want, slow or fast, hard or gentle, to never leave your bed side until you satisfie...
109K 7.8K 40
Julian Wright doesn't know much about his past. Raised in a home with a tyrant of a father and a disconnected mother, Julian leaves home at fifteen...