Writing Lanie - Forbidden Hea...

By shaylamariam

Completed | Lanie Jenkins knew the three rules of life. Your best friends always come first. Wine goes with a... More

Introduction (Read Me!)
C A S T
1| #NoFilter
2| An Olive Branch
3| Tall Tales
4| Lanie: Goddess
5| Christmas Trees & Mistletoe
6| Massages
7| Stewart
8| Kismet
9| The Barbie
10| Kiss The Cook
11| Betty Crocker
12| Truth or Lie?
14| Pinky Promises
15| Rainbow Falls
16| Some Unspoken Thing
17| Insomnia
18| The Whole Chocolate Bar
19| Jasmine
20| The Morning After
21| The Letter
22| Consumed
23| A School Girl Crush
24| Secrets & Emails
25| Long Days, Sleepless Nights
26| The Knitting Process
27| Old Flames
28| The Other Kind of Soul Mates
29| 100 Beats Per Minute
30| Birthday Wishes
31| No Apologies
32| The Reality Train
33| Mood Swings
34| Zero to Furious Bitch
35| Baby Fever
36| Decisions, Decisions
37| Dead Silence
38| Meddler
39| Six Days
40| The Truth About Lanie
41| Brothers
42| Bitch Pills
43| Breathe
44| Hope
45| Daydreams
46| Girl's Night
47| Little Distractions
48| Virgin 'Ritas and Britney Spears
49| Dead or Alive
50| Lime in da' Coconut
51| When the Tears Fell
52| Worth It
53| Speechless
54| Home
55| Kodak Moments
56| Sweet Nostalgia & Nightmares
57| Fear
58| Some People Change...Some Don't
59| No Visitation
60| Harvard
61| Nancy Drew
62| A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Orgasms
63| Family
64| Dead Meat
65| Perfect For Me
66| Coveted
67| One In A Million
68| Always
One Night (Book 1)
Karma (Book 3)
Tryst (Book 4)
Falling Into Place (Book 5)
Heartstrings (Prequel)
My Brother's Girl
The Stella I Remember

13| Flaws

12.7K 428 77
By shaylamariam

"Mmmm," I breathed as I rolled over and stretched in my bed. The smell of that delicious Stewart's coffee woke me in the best possible way. I threw my covers back and quickly went into my bathroom to do my morning routine. I slipped on my slippers and threw on my robe before I went straight down to the kitchen. Since I was a teacher, I had to be a morning person when school was in session. When it wasn't, I was not a morning person. It was always hell to fall back into school sleep schedule, but that's just how I was. 

I was so happy that I was on holiday break. The semester had been rough and I needed the time off. Before I knew that Nate was brining Ayden home, I was planning on barely leaving the house. At the most, I wanted to get mani-pedis with Harper; but that was the extend of it. 

When I turned the corner from the living room to the kitchen, I paused. It wasn't Nate standing in front of the coffee pot-- it was Ayden. Shit. I was so put off by my coffee addiction, I didn't think about him being in the kitchen. He turned towards me; smiling as he took a sip of his coffee. Did he really have to look that good with everything he did?

"Good morning, Goddess." His gaze roamed over my body. By the heated look in his eyes, I realized I forgot the robe I was wearing was open. Underneath it, I was had on very short pajama shorts with a tank top. No bra, of course, and my hair was an angry bun on my head.

My body came to life under his stare and I quickly tied the sash. Right, like that would do any good. He's already seen me. "Good morning, Sargent," I quipped as I walked over to the cupboard and tried to get control over the effect he had on my body. I opened the cupboard door and frowned when I didn't see my favorite mug.

"Here you go."

I shut it and looked over to my left. Ayden was holding the mug I was looking for. The mug had a cartoon of Snoopy sleeping on the doghouse. I don't know why I loved it so much. "Thank you."

Ayden was quiet while I fixed my coffee. I poured the creamer in the mug, then the sugar, then the coffee. "Are you human?" he asked with an astonished expression.

A short laugh escaped me. "Yes. It's just how I make my coffee." I took a sip from the mug and let out an orgasmic moan as the hot liquid slid down my throat. I was definitely one of those people who lived and breathed coffee. I had no idea what I would do without it. Probably be super bitchy and eventually die.

Ayden cleared his throat before flashing me a grin. "You really shouldn't make noises like that," he said as he gestured to my attire. "Especially in those clothes."

God, he really was sexy. He was leaning back against the counter with his legs crossed at the ankles. He was wearing and had no shirt on. Of-fucking-course. I cleared my throat uncomfortably at his statement. "What are you talking about? I'm enjoying my coffee."

"I see that." He crossed his right arm over his chest and held his coffee with the other. I was praying he wouldn't go further into his comment about my moan of coffee pleasure. I was embarrassed enough. "Would you like some breakfast?"

His question threw me off. I was glad of the change of subject, but I wasn't really a breakfast person. Mainly because I couldn't cook. I usually heated something up or just drank my coffee in the morning. "It's okay," I said. I felt bad about him cooking me breakfast when he just spent hours in the kitchen the night before preparing our Christmas dinner. Christmas. The drawing. Oh, my God. I glanced away shyly before my eyes met his again. "Um, by the way, thank you. For the sketch. It was beautiful."

Another flashy grin from the sexy soldier. God, I needed to stop finding him attractive. I needed to get to know him and find a flaw. Yes, a flaw was perfect. It would turn me off and stop all this craziness. He just seemed like a closed book. How the hell was I going to get him to open up so that I could find something I didn't like?

"Well, the sketch was of you. And you're beautiful." I know how he read my expression. He thought I was getting freaked out by the compliment. He was right. We were supposed to be in the Friend Zone. "I just wanted to get you something besides concert tickets. Something that you could keep."

Find the flaws. Find the flaws. "Thank you. I really love it." It was the truth. I loved it a little too much. I stayed up late last night; studying the drawing and tracing my fingers across it. I could picture Ayden hunched over a table, scratching away with a pencil. His attention to detail was incredible. He drew me sitting in the exact same position I was on the porch. Cigarette was in the correct hand, and my hair was even exactly like I had it that night. It raised questions that I was too afraid to answer.

"Okay, Goddess. Go and put some real clothes on. You're too distracting dressed like that. I'll start making us some breakfast."

"But--"

He cut me off. "No buts, Lanie."

I rolled my eyes as I went to get changed. I had no idea what my plans were for today, so I put on a pair of jeans and a long sleeved shirt. I decided to braid my hair. I wanted to do something different. Besides, if it was cold outside, I could easily slip on my beanie if my hair was braided. I grabbed my coffee off my dresser before I headed back downstairs.

I was surprised that I actually had an okay time waking up this morning. Besides admiring the drawing that Ayden made me, I was up late thinking about my parents. I couldn't help it. I pulled out the old family album and let the tears fall. I think it was good that I did that. I honestly didn't remember the last time I looked at those albums. When I saw the last photo in the book, the one of our last Christmas, I lost it. But after I was done with the crying, I felt a little better. The weight wasn't completely lifted off my shoulder's, but a little bit had been removed.

I let out a long breath as I went back to the kitchen. I guess it took me a little longer to get ready then I thought, because Ayden was sitting at the table with two plates. Both with eggs, bacon, and toast on them. I ignored the fluttering in my stomach and took the seat across from him.

"This smells delicious." I basically purred the last word. I was fucking starving. I was never a breakfast person before, but I could definitely get used to this.

He smiled as he spread some butter on his toast. "Dig in."

He started eating and I couldn't help but be entranced. I watched as he draped a napkin over his lap, and made sure to keep his elbows off the table. I didn't even do that. He took small bites and chewed with his mouth closed. I almost felt uncomfortable eating in front of him.

"You're staring," he drawled as he took a bite of his toast; never looking up at me.

"I'm sorry. It's just-- you have lovely table manners."

Proving my point, he wiped his mouth before he spoke again. "When I lived with the chef I told you about, she taught me all about manners and how to be a gentlemen." When I remained quiet, his eyes flicked to mine. He sighed with understanding. "Okay, how about we make a deal?"

"A deal?" My interest was definitely piqued. "What kind of deal?"

Even though his expression was blank, there was an amused twinkle in his eyes. "Since you don't have any plans today, why don't you show me around the city, and I'll tell you anything you want to know about me."

I frowned. Wait a minute..."Who said I don't have plans today?"

He handed me a note. "This was on the fridge."

I took the small piece of paper from him and immediately wanted to punch my brother in the face.

Hey, L. Sorry to spring this on you, but I'm going to stay at Jules' for a day or two. I'll be with you after that until I leave. Wipe that scowl off your face, sis. I love you.

I looked to Ayden with an angry expression. "Are you fucking kidding me? He always--ugh. I can't stand him sometimes." A puff of air escaped me and I started shaking my knee anxiously. "You know, I might take you up on your offer to kick his ass."

Ayden let out a deep chuckle and shrugged a shoulder. "Happy to oblige." We were both quiet for a moment before he added, "So, what do you say?"

"Hmm? Oh! The deal." My mouth twisted with humor. "What makes you think I'm interested in getting to know who you are?"

He leaned forward and pointed a finger at me. "You are the type of person who will dig and dig until you find out everything you want to know. Truth or lie?"

He held my stare and I couldn't deny it. "Truth."

He sat back in his chair and took a sip of his coffee. "So, tell me, Goddess. Deal or no deal?"

The idea of showing Ayden around the city while he promised to answer all of my questions was too good to pass up. Was I worried about being alone with him? Especially overnight with Nate not here? Yes. Was I nervous about getting to know him? Yes. But I was dead set on finding a flaw of his that would turn me off. I already knew my answer. "Deal."

The smile he flashed me not only made my stomach do that flutter thing, but it also told me I probably made a huge mistake. His expression was cocky and satisfied; like this is what he had planned. Was it? I guess I would find out when we started our tour of New York City.

He popped a grape in his mouth before he asked, "Where to first?"

Flaws. Must. Find. Flaws.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 56.4K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...
896K 16.7K 35
A story of forbidden love. Dig in to your next favorite steamy romance. There are a list of reasons why Scarlet and Chase shouldn't be together but t...
3.7M 131K 91
No one deserves to be stuck in a complicated love triangle with their arranged husband and his girlfriend, especially not Kyra Casella, a broken youn...