A World Once Familiar (Splato...

By ASnazzyGuy

Cover designed by @Imitoni A world of water is the worst an inkling can ask for. Then again, so is being kidn... More

1: Return to Inkopolis
3: My Winged Hussar
4: Survive vs Thrive
5: Evolution
6: Unsung Saviour
7: A New Kind Of Living
8: Secrets Unveiled
9: Emperor of the Seas
10: What Makes You Different
11: Remote Control
12: Would you like AM, or FM?
13: Your Winged Hussar
14: The New Squidbeak Splatoon
15: Autophobia
16: Date Day
17: A Fun... Game
18: Alienation
19: Bridges To The Truth
20: Log 52
21: A Lifetime's Reprieve
22: The Marine The Boys Call Camouflage
23: The Greatest Plan
24: Your Dear Teufel Hunden
25: An Igniting Star
26: Loud And Clear
27: Dug Up Pasts
28: Suppression
29: Story of the Lifeguards
30: Wacky Woohoo Wahoo World
31: A Spark Of Life
32: Mint Green
33: The Last Loose End
(Epilogue) 34: A Girl Once Afraid

2: Sweet Escape

11.5K 200 376
By ASnazzyGuy

Y/n L/n's Containment log: Entry 83

Ashley has been acting strange. She's becoming quiet, reserved. In truth, that, alongside her breakdown scared you beyond imagination. Right now, she was teaching you about human history, about a military attack on some city that took place thousands of years ago, before the great flood, and before space travel was even possible, when people traveled on the backs of beasts.

"And when no more hope was left for the defenders of Vienna, they arrived." Ashley told you.

  "Who arrived?" You asked. Ashley sighed, flicking the glass.

  "The Winged Hussars." You tilted your head in confusion.

  "Winged....Hussars? What are those?" You asked. Ashley gave you a short smile, as she answered.

  "They were soldiers that arrived in the nick of time, cutting down their opponents with ease, and saving those poor, weary fellow soldiers." She told you. You gasped, thinking over it.

  "So, if someone were to help me right before I died, and save me, they would be my Winged Hussar?" You asked. Ashley giggled, in spite of herself, shaking her head.

  "No, Y/n. That's called a Deus Ex Machina. Winged Hussars were a type of soldier, so fearsome that all fell before them." She explained.

  "Oh..." you looked downcast at that, before regaining your posture, making a fist.

  "Then when I return home, I'll train to become a Winged Hussar myself!" You proclaimed.

  "You already have a life singing, Y/n. Don't throw it away for a lofty goal like that." Ashley told you. Something in her tone put you off.

  "Are you okay, Ashley?" You asked. Ashley nodded, wiping her nose, before she stood up.

  "Can you do me a favor, Y/n?" She asked. You nodded, anything for Ashley.

  "Yeah, what is it?" You asked. Ashley swallowed, turning away.

  "Count the days, starting tomorrow. When you reach day 16, tell me." She told you. You nodded vigorously, looking at her as she started to walk away.

  "Yes, I'll do that, I promise!" You shouted after her, as the door shut behind her.

  The shining sun seemed to invade your eyes as you sat up, pushing the blankets off of your body.

  Wait, blankets? You looked down at the bed you were sleeping in, then the room around you. This was not the street you fell asleep in. You stood up, getting out of bed as an echoing noise made itself evident. Footsteps, and shouting.

  "What do you mean you brought him here!?" A familiar voice shouted. They did not sound happy.

  "You saw how he looked! The clothes, no weapons, how he slept! He obviously needs help, Pearlie!" This voice was also familiar, something you couldn't quite place your finger on.

  "If he needed medical help, then you should've brought him to the hospital! He's homeless! You brought a homeless person into our house!" 'Pearlie' shouted. The second voice didn't respond for a moment as the footsteps got closer. Then you realized their destination.

  Shit.   You ripped open a large pocket on your pants, taking out a survival knife as you leapt across the room, making it to the door while making minimal noise.

  "You're right, Pearlie. You always are. I was just-" 'Pearlie' interrupted her once again, much quieter than before.

  "I understand, Marina. Someone needed help, and you couldn't help. But please, let's just hope he isn't some freak show, and is someone with their sanity." They reached the door. You heard the doorknob rattle. You gripped your knife, spinning it in your hand.

  "You got this?" 'Pearlie' asked. There was a moment of silence, then the door opened. The first thing they saw was your empty bed.

  "Wait, where is he!?" 'Pearlie' ran forward, towards your bed, patting the sheets, revealing herself to be that short inkling you saw from the news yesterday. That means...

  A second later, a tall, dark skinned octoling walked into view, as 'Pearlie' turned around to look at her. She looked at Marina, before her eyes locked into you, and she pointed at you.

  "Marina! He's right-" 'Pearlie' didn't get to finish her sentence before you lunged forward, grabbing Marina by the shoulder, and flashing the knife to her neck. Marina froze up, stiff as a board as 'Pearlie' started to hyperventilate.

  "You have exactly 5 seconds to explain how I got in this room, before I paint the room green." You threatened.

  "I-I SAW YOU ON THE STREET!" Marina screamed in panic.

  "I DECIDED TO HELP YOU OUT AND BRING YOU HERE!" She continued. She was scared out of her mind. Figures. You sighed, retracting the knife and pushing Marina forwards. You still held the knife, in case either of them tried something. 'Pearlie' caught her friend, before looking at you with fear.

  "Please, you can have whatever you want, but don't-" You silenced her by pointing your knife at her.

  "I don't want anything." You told her. This clearly confused her beyond what you expected.

  "Nothing?" She asked. You paused, lowering the knife.

  "On second thought..." they both winced at the words.

  "...I would like to know your names." You stated. Marina looked at you in shock, 'Pearlie' even more so.

  "You... don't know us?" Marina asked. You finally relaxed, putting your knife away. The two were still on high alert, nothing you could blame them for.

"Listen, I've been... not here for a while. Best I can tell you I know of is the Squid Sisters. All I know is that you-" you nodded towards Marina.

"Are named Marina, and the both of make a group called Off The Hook. Now, your real name-" you pointed at 'Pearlie-'

"-is not Pearlie. What is it?" You asked. Pearlie did her best to regain her composure.

  "It's... it's Pearl...." an awkward silence ensued, until she made the decision to strike a half-hearted pose.

  "Check it?" She asked. You sighed, looking at the open door, before looking back to the two, extending your hand to shake.

  "My name is Y/n. I would say it's a pleasure, but to you, it's probably not." You introduced yourself. Marina started to walk forward to shake your hand, before Pearl grabbed her leg, stopping her. You sighed as the two whispered at each other, before using your left hand to reach into your pocket. The two watched you take out your knife, and toss it aside, to the entrance of the room. You then backed away, towards a door that seemed to lead to some kind of guest bathroom. Pearl ran over, picking up the knife, pointing it at you. Now more comforted, Marina chose to walk over. You extended your hand, and Marina grabbed it. You both gave a firm shake before letting go. Marina backed away, not taking her eyes off of you as you sat down on the floor, picking at your nails.

"Um... Y/n?" Marina spoke up. You looked at her, then back at your nails.

"Why is your hair that color?" She asked. You snapped your head up to look at her, shooting a glare at her. She backed away, before your face softened up.

"Sorry, but I'm not answering personal questions." You told her, standing up. Pearl started to lower your knife as she analyzed you, realizing you meant no harm.

"Why are you being so chill after threatening to murder my friend?" She asked you. You looked at her, trying to read her. It did not work.

"I'm not a psychopath, if that's what you're asking." You told her. This put Pearl on edge as she lifted the knife again.

"That's what all Psycho's say!" She demanded. You sighed, walking over to her. To Pearl's utter shock, you lifted your hand, before shoving it against the blade of the knife, impaling your hand. You then quickly turned your hand, forcing the blade from Pearl's small hands.

With the blade again in your possession, you pocketed the knife, as your hand started to heal.

"H-how can you just do that to yourself!?" Marina shouted, looking at your hand. The ink that spilled out was the same dark blue as your hair, with the same golden shine.

"If you're going to call me something, I'd prefer the term 'sociopath.'" You told the two, walking out of the guest room.

"By the way, is there any way I can get to Inkopolis Square from here?" You asked the two. Pearl got over her surprise to answer.

"It's about an hour walk from here, but it's a rather short drive, you know?" She told you. You nodded, tapping your foot. You were growing increasingly stressed by this. Marie said you could have today off if you wanted, but spending it in some random persons home seemed kind of... strange.

"Are... are you okay?" Marina asked you. You took a deep breath, letting it out slowly, before nodding.

"Yeah, I am. Sorry about the inconvenience I caused. I'll be on my way." You told her. Before you could get out of the house, Marina spoke up.

"No, no, you're fine. I'm sure Pearlie will be okay with you staying a little longer... right?" She looked behind her, at Pearl. She gave Marina a bewildered shrug, gesturing at you in an 'are you insane?' manner. You shook your head, turning around again.

"Once again, I'm not going to make myself an obstacle. If Pearl wants me gone, I'm gone." You spoke up. Marina groaned, gesturing towards you at Pearl. The two had a silent argument, which Pearl seemed to lose. She sighed, looking at you.

"Leave that knife in the kitchen and you can stay for a bit." Pearl offered. Marina looked at you as you thought over it.

"I see. Do you two need to leave at all today, or do you have a day off?" You asked. Marina looked at Pearl, who shook her head.

"We're good today, you don't have to worry." Marina told you.

"Also, why is your voice so raspy?" Pearl cut in. Marina grabbed the small inkling by the shoulders.

"Pearl! He said no personal-"

"I didn't speak a lot until yesterday." You cut in, surprising Marina once again.

"A lot? It sounds like you didn't speak at all!" Pearl told you. You shook your head, clearing your throat again.

"I spoke, but only like a few sentences a day. Now that I'm here, I need to get used to speaking more." You told Pearl. Before you would have to answer any more questions, you turned, walking down the stairs.

Y/n L/n's Containment log: Entry 99

"Ashley, it's been 16 days." You spoke up to the researcher as she entered the room. Ashley seemed to be in a grim mood, not speaking at all.

"Ashley?" You asked, as Ashley got in front of you, kneeling down to your height.

"Are you particularly attached to anything in that cell?" Ashley asked. You shook your head. Ashley sighed, opening the slot leading into your cell.

"Give me the dinosaur plush." She told you. You complied, grabbing the soft toy and pushing it through the slot. Ashley grabbed the dinosaur. From behind her back, she pulled a knife, cutting open the toy. When a large amount of stuffing had been removed, Ashley grabbed her lanyard, containing her keycard and a single key, and shoved it into the toy, obscuring it. With that done, she pushed the toy through the slot.

"Ashley, what are you doing?" You asked. Ashley's shoulders started to shake as she bit her lip.

"Y/n, at around 4:00 am, I'll use my PDA to free you. Take this time to run to the console room, and change the Aurora's course." She instructed you. You slowly nodded, unsure of her motives.

"Ashley...?" The scientist opened the slot one more time, slipping a brand new PDA through the slot. You grabbed it, shocked by this new object.

"Y/n, they were never going to free you." Ashley told you. You widened your eyes.

"What do you mean-"

"Alterra is planning to kill you!" Ashley burst out, silencing you.

"They've been doing this with every damned creature we pick up. I have to teach them of our world, grow close to them, only for them to be killed and dissected like frogs!" Ashley tried to wipe away her tears, only for more to appear.

"Y/n, I need you to set the course of the Aurora to the planet 4546B. At 4, it'll be only an hour away, and everyone will be asleep. Then the ship will crash, and you can be free." Ashley told you. You slowly started to piece together her plan.

"You want me to kill everyone?" You asked. Ashley sniffled, holding up a hand.

"After you change the course, go to the lifepod bay. Go into pod number 5. I made sure it's the only functioning one. Let no one else into it, not even me." Ashley told you. You were slowly being taken over by a massive sense of looming dread.

"When we go down, I need you to promise me that you will live, okay? Live for me, and go home so that I don't die knowing there is even more blood on my hands." Ashley told you. You slowly nodded, asking your final question.

"Ashley... why are you sure the ship will crash?" You asked. She swallowed, sighing.

"Another ship crashed there several years ago. Energy readings suggest it was shot down. The same will definitely happen to us. Just do this for me, promise?" Ashley asked you. You nodded, pressing your hand against the glass. Ashley mimicked you, before standing up, turning around to walk away.

You watched her go, looking down at the dinosaur plush and the PDA. You could escape.

With a clunk, the survival knife fell against the countertop. You closed your eyes, letting out a breath as you left the knife where it was, you moved into another room, to simply be alone with your thoughts.

  "You in here?" You were interrupted by the voice of Pearl, who walked in to see you pacing.

  "Yes you are. Listen, I'm making some breakfast, and we can't quite trust you on your own, so could you stand in the kitchen for a bit?" She asked you. You nodded, following Pearl into the kitchen. The first thing you noticed was the absence of your knife. Or any knife, for that matter.

Pearl started making something, nothing you could identify right away, making sure to keep a cautious eye on you. You decided to sit down, resting your arms on your knees as Pearl cooked.

"Are those your only clothes?" Pearl asked. You nodded, staying silent.

"Well then. You got any money, like, at all?" She asked. You shook your head again.

"I'm as broke as you are rich." You told her. Pearl sighed, finishing the batter, which she moved over to a pan. Seems she's making pancakes.

"Wow. How'd you get like that?" Pearl asked. You resisted the urge to glare at her, but instead you answered.

"I don't answer personal questions."

"Right, sorry." Pearl told you, flipping a pancake.

"It's fine. How long do you plan on letting me stay?" You asked. Pearl shrugged, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"Honestly, it depends on how Marina feels about having you around. If she doesn't like you after a day or so, you're gonna have to leave, but if you're pleasant to be around, we'll hesitate to give you the boot, you see?" Pearl told you. You nodded.

"Yeah, I understand." Your voice was gradually clearing up, thank god.

"Alright, pancakes are done." In the span of your conversation, Pearl had whipped up a large stack of big, steaming pancakes. You stood up as Pearl handed you a plate.

"Dining room is this way." Pearl told you. You followed her into the dining room to see Marina on her laptop. Beside her was a box full of knives. As soon as you entered the room, she grabbed said box, placing it under the table, out of sight. You didn't react as Pearl gave Marina a plate and a fork, before you started to eat. You ate silently, preferring not to speak at all.

  After a bit, Pearl finished eating and left the room. And on cue, Marina fixed her gaze onto you, making sure you didn't do anything funny. You looked to the doorway, seeing Pearl nowhere in sight. Now, to address the elephant in the room.

  "So...." you started, catching Marina's attention.

  "I haven't been at the square in a long time, but seeing an Octoling here is far from what I expected." You casually said. This took Marina by surprise.

  "Wh-what do you mean?" She asked, trying to play it innocent. You looked at her plainly, looking her up and down.

  "Slender build, black hair, suckers on the outside of your hair. No mistaking it. You're an elite." You told her. She seemed to quiver at your observations, sinking into your seat.

  "Listen, you can't tell ANYONE that. You hear me?" She told you. You looked at her, at the desperate look in her eyes, before rolling up your sleeve. On your arm was a painful looking scar, from a bite of sorts, definitely from nothing here.

  "What is that?" Marina asked. You swallowed your bite of food before answering.

  "My guarantee." You told her.

  "Guarantee?" Marina asked. You nodded.

  "If I tell someone you're an Octoling, you tell them I've got marks no inkling should ever have. If you tell someone I've got these, I tell them you're an Octoling. Deal?" You asked her, extending your hand to shake. Marina nodded, shaking your hand.

  "But, how did you get that-" you silenced Marina with a finger.

  "No personal questions." You reminded her. She nodded in apology, getting back to her food. You looked down at your food. You only had a few bites, but honestly, you felt full. You pushed the plate forward, indication that you were done.

  "Not gonna eat?" Marina asked. You shook your head.

  "It's good. Delicious even, but I'm not used to eating large amounts." You told Marina. She nodded, getting back to eating. You watched her eat, as memories began to set in.

  Y/n L/n's Containment log: Final Entry

  To say you woke up would be a lie. You had never fallen asleep in the first place. The ship was dark, and everyone was asleep. Well, everyone except for two people.

  As soon as the clock on your PDA read 4:00, the door to your cell clicked, before sliding open. You let out a pained sigh, grabbing the PDA and ripping open the dinosaur plush, grabbing the lanyard. A map opened on the PDA as you stepped out of the cell. One room was clearly highlighted, as well as a path. You stared at the PDA, following the path it highlighted. Your bare feet made a pitter patter noise against the floor of the Aurora, as room after room passed by. Eventually, you reached a massive room, with what looked like a massive computer against the far wall.

  You felt emotions start to well up as you climbed up a chair, coming up to height to face the console. On your right was a keyhole, like an ignition. You took the lanyard, carefully removing the key, before placing it within the ignition. With that, the console burst to life.

  "What command would you like to enforce?" Came the question. You gathered your willpower, before speaking.

  "Change the course of the Aurora." You ordered.

  "Affirmative. Where should the Aurora land?" The console asked. You swallowed nervously before answering.

  "Planet 4546B." You said.

  "Confirm repositioning of landing coordinates." The console told you. You looked at the key, which started flashing. You hesitated, but reached up, turning the key.

"Landing coordinates changed by Ashley Durnham. Shifting course to planet 4546B." The ship started to turn, and you didn't hesitate. The ship was now on a 'suicide course,' as Ashley had called it. Staring at the PDA's map, another room was now highlighted, so you began the run.

  Things would go to hell in about an hour, so at like 5 or 6 o'clock. Before anyone woke up.

You burst into the lifepod bay, looking for lifepod 5. It took a few seconds, you opened the hatch leading into it, hopping into the lifepod. Clutching Ashley's ID card to your chest, you got into the fetal position. You started to sob, as the weight of what you just did settled onto your shoulders.

"I'm... so sorry Ashley. I hate this plan." You spoke aloud.

"But... this has to happen, right? For me? For you?" You sniffled, looking around the lifepod. There was a storage area. You crawled over to it, opening it, and placing the PDA in it. You held onto the card, putting on the lanyard. You started to slowly cry again as the seconds passed.

It seemed like an eternity passed before you were lurched to the side by a sudden jerk in the ship. The lifepod grew warm as a muffled blast went off in the ship. Muffled screams began to make themselves evident as someone started to bang on the lifepod's hatch. You looked up to see a familiar male face. It was Frank.

He hesitated upon seeing your face, recognizing you, then the face on the card in your hands. His face slowly grew into one of shock, then admittance, before another hand grabbed his shoulder, pushing him aside to reveal the red headed researcher you grew to love.

"Hurry Y/n! Go!" You nodded, getting in the seat, strapping yourself in. You looked up at Ashley one last time, and as the lifepod detached, time seemed to slow down.

You lifted your hand to Ashley, as she slowly rested her hand on the hatch. Suddenly, time sped up, and you were lurched upward as Ashley vanished from sight. More explosions rocked the ship as you entered the atmosphere. The sudden resistance knocked something in the lifepod loose, and a panel fell out of the wall, beginning to bounce around the walls.

"....why?" You asked. The one the question was for was already several thousand feet away.

"...you could live, so why-" with a painful thud, the loose panel struck you square in the face.

"And you will be staying in this guest room." Marina told you, finishing your(abridged) tour of the house.

You hadn't been shown everything, but you had been shown the basics. Even that took forever. Now, the sun was beginning to set.

  "So... I'm going to do some last second shopping, and Pearl's Gonna keep an eye on you. If you try anything, I'll be here as fast as I can, and you'll be back on the street faster than you can say my name." Marina warned you. You nodded, looking at her with a dull stare.

  "Why are you keeping me here again if you feel these precautions are necessary?" You asked. Marina sighed, leaning against the doorframe.

  "I'm sure you're a decent person, and you just acted out of panic with the knife. I hate to see decent people go through suffering they don't deserve." Marina told you. You looked at the bed, away from Marina. She couldn't see, but those words had drawn some emotion from you.

  "I.... I see. I'm probably going to spend the rest of the night here, so could you close the door on your way out?" You asked. Marina nodded, turning around and leaving.

  "Tomorrow, we're taking you to the square, because Pearl and I have work. Is there anything you need to do then?" Marina asked through the door.

  "Yeah. I'm doing a series of favors for a friend every once in a while, so I'm gonna need to be at the square." You told Marina. You heard her give an approving him as she walked away.

  With her gone, you reached into your shirt. Your grip closed around an old ID card, which you gently squeezed in your hands, letting the memories take you back.

  Y/n L/n's Survival log: Entry 1

  You slowly began to wake up to large amounts of heat batting at your face. You opened your eyes to a bright red light. Turns out, that light was fire.

  Adrenaline shot through your body as you realized what was happening. You slammed down on the controls of the seat you were in, forcefully opening it and letting you out. You fell to the ground, standing and grabbing a fire extinguisher from the wall, aiming it at the fire.

  It took a few minutes, but you managed to put out the fire, leaving only the smoky pod. You sighed, dropping the extinguisher as you looked at the ladder leading out of the lifepod. You nodded, grabbing the first rung, and climbing the ladder.

  Opening the hatch greeted you with blinding sunlight, and when your eyes adjusted, a white... alien... bird... thing flew above you. You climbed out of the lifepod to be greeted with a sight that set dread into your heart.

  All around you, as far as you could see, was water. In the distance, over the rolling waves, the burnt remains of the Aurora lay.

~ASnazzyGuy

~4230 Words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 318 36
In the early 22th century human civilization and the nations of the earth were torn apart by the horrors of the third world war an event that ended w...
3.9K 212 38
Betrayed, stranded, and hunted by hungry fish-like creatures known as Salmonids. This is the predicament Akikta, the last living human, finds himself...
18.5K 301 53
"Thank god I'm alive. I wish I don't have to relieve the suffering again." ... His name is Prince Brooks. One of the few humans that was inserted int...
12.7K 203 28
(DISCONTINUED(possible continuation/rewrite on @MerlinTheBallin, but that is unconfirmed)) Y/N L/N is a normal Inkling boy. He comes from a small tow...