A Light in the Dark

By the_real_slim_katie

Kaitlyn Fend talks to everyone. She has selective best friends, but everyone knows her. Mason Heveret used to... More

A Girl in the Seat Next to Me
A Stereotype in the Cafeteria
A Group of Boys in the Woods
A Man in the Hospital
A Poor Boy in the Rich Family's House
A Savior in the Night
A Meal in the Morning
A Band-Aid in the Nurse's Office
A Revelation in the Kitchen
A Crisis in the Country Called America
A Phone Call in the Middle of a Jog
A Pretty Girl in the Mint Shirt
A Plan in the Minds of Friends
A Bad Guy in the Crowd
A Mumbling Curtis in the Car
A Sibling Moment in the Car
A Sister in the Kitchen
A Stranger in the Hospital
A Few Songs in the Pizza Place
A Question in the Garden
A Fight in the Hallway
A Flashback in the Living Room
A New Disease in the Brain
A New Development in the Story
A Scar in the Memory
A Family Dinner in the Apartment
A Sibling in the Drug Business
A Few Songs in the Festival Booth
A Runaway Back in the Treatment Ward
A Surprise in the Kitchen
A Relationship in the Making
A Boat in the Water
A Bunch of Memories in the Photo Album
SELF PROMOTION

A Movie Marathon in the Hart House

146 4 5
By the_real_slim_katie

25: Kaitlyn

I spent Saturday at the mall with Brandon, since Randy was busy and Dani was on her date with Curtis. Mason said he needed to talk to his boss, so he was at work and Ronnie took Marina to a water park for the day. We just walked around, caught up, talked about things we used to talk about, and our relationships. I really missed hanging out with my friends, and this was just what I needed. We stopped for lunch in the food court and had Subway.

            “Wow he is so freaking hot.”

            “Brandon!” I said disapprovingly.

            “What?”

            “You have a boyfriend.”

            “So? That doesn’t mean I have to pretend everyone else in the world is ugly. Look at him, you cannot look at him and tell me he’s ugly.”

            “Okay fine. Yeah, he’s hot.”

            “There we go. But I guess when you’re dating a guy like Mason everyone else seems dull to you.”

            “What’s that supposed to mean?”

            “Oh please as if you didn’t know you’re boyfriend is gorgeous.”

            “Really Brandon?”

            “If Dani were here she would say the same exact thing.” So without saying anything I picked up Brandon’s phone and called Dani.

“Really Brandon, I’m on a date!”

“Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry.”

“Kaitlyn?”

“Yeah, Brandon has a question for you.” I handed him the phone.

“Is Mason not gorgeous?”

“Really Brandon!” I could hear her scream it even though the phone wasn’t on speaker and we were in a loud food court.

“Yes really, now answer my question…. See? Now tell her that.” He handed the phone back to me.

“You two are a pair of idiots, I’m telling you. You’re boyfriend is gorgeous, I don’t know why-”

“Thank you, I already knew that. I just wanted to hear my two best friends tell me!” And then I hung up.

“You are wicked,” Brandon shook his head at me.

“And I don’t care.”

***

When we finished meandering around the mall Brandon drove me back to his house. The second I walked through the doors I was swamped by two little girls in cowgirl costumes.

“We missed you so much Lynnie!” I laughed at Hana and Lily’s adorable nickname for me. Before my dad was in a coma, Dani and I would always come here and play with Brandon’s younger sisters. Sometimes even when he wasn’t here. The little girls just loved us that much. And they were so freaking cute, it was impossible to say no when they asked you to play dress-up with them.

“I missed you too girls! How are you?”

“I’m tired, Phil kept me up all night because he was playing some war game on his Xbox and wouldn’t turn it down,” Lily told me.

“Me too,” Hana said.

“Where were your mom and dad?”

“They are on a business trip.”

“What about Brandon?”

“He was at Randy’s.” I gave a disapproving look towards my friend, who smiled sheepishly.

“Polly was in charge but Phil wouldn’t listen to her.”

“No, of course not. That’s because brothers stink, don’t they?”

“Yes they do!” Hana said.

“Why don’t you girls go play horseback riding for a little while and maybe I’ll come up in a few minutes.”

“Yay!” They ran upstairs in a chorus of cheers and excitement.

“You’re sisters are so adorable.”

“Yeah, when you’re around. The rest of the time they’re like little Disney demons. Just throwing sparkle everywhere.” He shuddered.

“Hey, I love Disney movies and sparkles.”

“That’s because you’re you. You love anything that’s happy.”

“Not that song. I’m so sick of the Happy song,” I told him.

“Okay, yeah, but I think everyone is. Plus, it gets annoying after you have to deal with it for years on end.”

“Don’t worry, they’ll grow up and you’re going to wish they’re this age and not teenagers.”

“What makes you think I’ll still be living here then?” I laughed at what I accidentally implied when I said that.

“Sorry, that’s not what I meant.” We were sitting at the bar in the kitchen (I loved their spinning chairs) when Polly walked in.

“Oh hey Kaitlyn! Haven’t seen you around here in a while.” She grabbed an apple from the fridge and sat across from me.

“Hey, how’s school going?”

“Ugh, I’m studying like crazy for finals. Oh hey, aren’t you dating that really creepy hot guy now?” Brandon and I laughed at this and I nodded.

“Yeah, I forgot you’re a freshman now.”

“I have been all year.”

“Yeah, I know. Sorry.” The three of us laughed until a silence came over the room. Polly finished her apple and got up to throw it away.

“Okay, well I’m heading to my final track meet, see you guys.”

“Good luck!” Brandon called out to her and she yelled back a “thanks!” before walking out the door.

“Isn’t it a bit late for track to still be going on?”

“Oh, a few of her meets got postponed because of rain so their schedule got all mixed up.”

“Ah, how is she getting there?”

“She usually carpools with her friend and her mom I think.”

“Cool, want to start getting everything ready?”

“Yeah good idea.”

***

Brandon, Dani and I were having a sleepover that night and a movie marathon. We hadn’t had one of these in over three months and I was really exited. I was also nervous though, because I knew at some point during the night I was going to tell them all that’s been going down with my mom and Rory and all that. I mean, they’re my best friends and they deserved to know. I’d just been so confused lately and I told Dani some of it, but not the whole story. And I left Brandon in the dark this whole time. Brandon and I got out a few movies that we had decided to watch the other day when we planned this and set up the living room so it would be suitable to sleep in.

When we were done, I played with Hana and Lily for a while until their friend’s mom came to take them to a sleepover party. It was only Brandon and I in the house until Dani showed up about twenty minutes later and we all got ready to start the first movie: The Devil Wears Prada, Dani’s choice. We ate the Chinese food we ordered during this movie, per the usual routine.

Afterwards we watched the second movie, Harry potter and the Goblet of Fire, Brandon’s choice (he loved reading, it was basically his life, therefore adaptation movies were as well). During this movie we ate popcorn, and a lot of it.

By the time we got to my movie it was eleven and we were stuffed. We decided not to watch it and just talked instead, since we all knew we’d just fall asleep in the middle of it. I had chosen Avengers, and that movie was really long.

This was the perfect time to tell them about my life the past couple weeks, so I did. Honestly, I felt more confortable telling Mason. At least he understood. The best my friends could do was hug me and tell me how sorry they were, which is what they did.

“I know there’s not much you guys can do about it, but I grew up with you guys and I love you and you deserve to know.”’

“Thanks for telling us, I had no idea you were having such a hard time. Don’t worry girl we’re here for you.”

“I am right there with you.” I smiled at the two most amazing friends in the world and we tried to do this weird and awkward three person hug thing, but since it was almost 2 AM (it took me a while to explain everything to them), we were all to tired and just fell off the couch laughing.

***

            We all fell asleep by three and didn’t wake up until lunchtime the next day when Brandon’s doorbell rang. Of course, it was Randy.

            “Well don’t you just look terrible,” he said to Brandon as he walked in the door.

“Yeah, thanks.” Randy pecked his boyfriend on the lips and then scrunched up his face.

“Ew, morning breath.” And then he started to laugh at Brandon’s shocked face. “I was just kidding, jeez take a joke.” Dani and I were, of course, on the floor in heaves of laughter.

“You guys are so rude. I don’t even know why I’m friends with you.” It turned out Randy knew of our sleepover and brought us all lunch. He was a nice guy, that Randy. When I was finally showered (I loved the Hart’s bathroom) and ready, I headed off to work. The afternoon was unusually slow and I drove home after my shift ended. It was when I actually got home that my heart sank. Ronnie was on the couch in the living room and I could tell he had been crying.

“Ronnie what’s wrong?” he breathed in and patted the set next to him. I sat down and saw that the television was on a news story. Dread filled me when I saw the names at the bottom of the screen.

“Remember when mom showed up a couple weeks ago?” I nodded.

“Well-”

“Wait, where’s dad?”

“He went to the office to tell the other doctor that he’s back and ready to work, but Kaitlyn listen I’m trying to tell you-”

“Yeah, no. Sorry, keep going.” He built up the confidence to tell me something I was pretty sure I already knew.

“Well, I looked her up. It took a while but I found out that she re-married. She hasn’t been a stripper for almost eight years now. She… well she married Harvey Richards. And the news was left on when I came down here this morning, and…” he pressed play on the television, he must have recorded the news to show me this.

“I was just watching it again when you walked in, so I paused it…Kaitlyn, our mom is dead.”

A/N: Mwhaahahaha I finally get to be an evil author with a cliffhanger!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

648K 18.6K 24
Hallie's used to feeling like she's not wanted. Her small group of her friends think she's a total bore unless she's drunk. The guy she's been in l...
6.2K 203 31
From the early years of her life she has been protected by her family until she thought it was finally time to take care of herself. As a toddler she...
368K 6.5K 21
A curse had been broken and Meliodas and Elizabeth we're finally free from being forced to love each other and just like that a strange girl enters t...
166K 5.7K 32
They said that there's nothing like the love of your own parents. Well for the 17 year old girl Angela, it's completely the oppossite. She's being ph...