The Black Son

Por tabernac_estee

This is a fan fiction based on the comic book Usagi Yojimbo, written by Stan Sakai and all relevant character... Más

The Black Son ~ Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue

Chapter 25

4 0 0
Por tabernac_estee

Mariko was thankful there weren't as many casualties as the previous battles. But she did notice there were far more veteran soldiers. They didn't behave like the farmers or other men pressed into quick service by the Shadow Lord. The men were calm and well mannered for the most part. They didn't shy away from her touch as she tended to their wounds nor did they make much of a sound as the healer plied his grisly trade. Then she noticed Yasuhira had entered the ward and walked toward her. Instinctively she ran a hand across her temple to ensure a hair hadn't fallen out of place, but in doing so left a streak of blood across her skin. Yasuhira noticed what she had done and took a strip of cloth from one of the surgery tables, and a bucket of clean water that was near by. Mariko bowed at his approach. He said nothing and soaked the cloth through with water. Without being asked, Yasuhira reached out to Mariko to clean her of the blood. As could be expected the woman flinched.

"A moment, hime. You have regaled upon yourself an unfortunate layer of rouge."

Mariko laughed, more at herself for being so foolish. Still, considering her environment it was bound to happen. Yasuhira was gentle but thorough. In no time the woman was free from the blood, at least on her face.

"I'm sure I'll do that again, Tono."

"No doubt. But I felt compelled to act, hime."

"These are terrible days, Tono. It effects everything and everyone."

"Too true. So we must make every effort to ensure that what beauty there is can be seen unsullied."

Mariko ached. How his words pierced her heart. It was foolish of him to be so giving with her. She wished he didn't say such things. But at the same time, Mariko revelled in them. Like she told her husband he was magic. He was also merciful and moved on to other matters.

"How is our noble guest?"

Mariko turned her eye to a man sitting up against a far wall, "Lord Naishi is doing well, Tono. But his demeanour is a bit forlorn and is weary of anyone tending to him."

"I'm sure that doesn't include you, hime."

Mariko blushed but said nothing. Yasuhira handed her the soiled bandage and walked toward his Uncle. The man had watched his nephew speak to the woman and noticed how freely they seemed with each other. That had always been Yasu's way. He couldn't understand it. But then he was only half a Hikiji. Yasuhira came bearing his usual becoming smile, which always vexed Naishi, but also found it impossible not to smile back. That day, even after having his guts ripped out by the man, was no different. Yasu bowed to his uncle.

"Lord Naishi, I hope you are well."

"Well enough Lord Yasuhira."

He sat down next to him, "Well, I must admit this is a bit awkward."

Naishi squirmed, "To say the least. I can't help but wonder why I'm still alive."

"It was not by my design, Uncle. I well and truly wanted to kill you. But it seems those I tasked with aiding the wounded were a bit overzealous when they came upon you. As you had no armour or other markings indicating who you are, they took it upon themselves to return you to the land of the living," He shrugged, "I only noticed you were alive when I came to inspect the ward a few days ago." He smiled.

"You find that humorous I see."

"I find it providential," He leaned in close to the man, "I can't help but see that the gods' hand in this, Uncle."

"Yes, to mock and humiliate me." He turned away furious.

Yasuhira leaned back, "During your recovery I read all the papers you had in your tent and I noticed something quite startling," Naishi looked to the ceiling, "I had wondered before our battle why you commanded so few men. Before the war you had quite a host. Such a large group of hardened veterans that my father openly coveted them," He turned his head slightly, "Then I discovered that Masamune had ordered you north with less than a quarter of your army and put the rest under his own standard. That explains the ease of my victory. It also tells me something else," He leaned forward again, "My father sent you north to die."

Naishi hunched forward and pressed his hands to his face. His body was in agonising pain, but his heart felt a hundred times worse. Yasuhira waved to Mariko and motioned for some tea. After a quick bow she set out at once.

"It stands to reason. You may be the ablest commander my father has, but you are also an able man and you have a right to the title of Daimyo as strong as his or mine. That is enough for my father to distrust you and send you to certain death," Yasu shrugged, "You may get lucky and kill me, but in the end you are simply another thorn plucked from the Shadow Lord's thumb."

His hands became fits on his thighs, "Come to gloat, Yasuhira?"

"Not in the slightest, Uncle."

Yasuhira untied a package that was wrapped around his waist, and unwrapped was it held. He dropped a Gunbai war fan into Naishi's lap. The man was wide-eyed upon seeing it.

"I also found that in your tent, Uncle."

He glared at Yasuhira, "You want me to fight for you?"

"I've learned that your forces haven't been committed to the battle. They remain intact in your ancestral lands waiting for their master to return," He shifted position, "It's obvious they would be as likely following me as they have been following my father, but for you they would march through Enma's hell."

"Get to the point, Yasuhira."

"Fight for me, and I promise you full autonomy for your lands," Naishi started, "Which I know is something you've always wanted."

His frustration grew, "You are more dangerous than your father, Yasuhira. Masamune simply took my son prisoner to force me to do his bidding. You on the other hand dangle my dreams in front of me."

Yasu retreated slightly, "Father has Hatashi?"

He only nodded.

"Is he in the castle?"

Again he nodded, but slightly confused by his tone.

"Well that changes things even more."

"How?"

Yasu took a breath, "Noriyuki has invaded and is laying siege to the castle as we speak."

He became furious, "And when were you going to tell me that bit of information, boy?"

Yasuhira pushed him back down gently, "I just did, Uncle."

Naishi scoffed, "The impudence," He scoffed again, "I guess the little lord is little no longer."

"Neither is his army. Along with his troops he has over 1000 muskets."

"Gods," He shifted his position to be closer to Yasuhira, "So, what are we to do?"

Yasuhira took a moment to compose himself. Though he was loathed to admit it, he felt the situation had turned in his favour with the revelation that Naishi's son was in the Shadow Lord's hands. But he would have to play things carefully, as Naishi was no fool.

"Uncle my one desire in all of this is father's death. He ordered me killed and I'm sure you'd agree that is something no son can reconcile himself with. But that is also something Noriyuki wants as well. I don't believe that he has any designs on conquest."

"How can you be so certain? Once a man gets a taste for land it's hard for him to rid himself of it. Ask your father."

"It isn't so much I know Noriyuki, but that I know the Shogun."

"What has he have to do with anything?"

"Noriyuki had a violent falling out with the Shogun."

"Truly?"

He nodded, "He threatened the Shogun's envoy and killed two of his retainers."

Naishi retreated, "The cheek."

"Despite that the Shogun understands Noriyuki's need for revenge for what my father did. So he'd turn a blind eye to Noriyuki's bad manners and his invasion as long as it doesn't lead to conquest. The Shogun will not allow any outside Daimyo to control our lands, as that could lead to other hungry lords looking to other provinces to sate their appetite. Like you said once a man gets a taste..."

"What about our situation?"

"The Shogun also doesn't like messy family squabbles either. So as long as the Hikiji's have a legitimate heir he'd leave these lands in the family," He stretched out his arms, "And there are three such men. All that is needed to make this happen is father's death. Which is what we all want, including the Shogun. I think even he's had enough of Masamune's scheming."

Naishi took a breath, "That is a lot of supposing you are making, Yasuhira. But I see the wisdom in it."

Yasuhira held up Naishi's Gundai, "Then let us show the world how wise we are."

Naishi looked at the man, perhaps for the first time, really looked at him. And he was nothing like Masamune. Yasuhira would rescue his son; Naishi knew that without even having to ask. He would end the war with the least amount of blood being shed. Most of all he would restore the honour of all Hikijis. Naishi took the Gundai. At that moment Mariko appeared with the tea and set it down. Yasuhira, smiling that becoming smile of his poured for both of them. Mariko departed and once out of sight she couldn't help but smile to herself. Pure magic indeed.

Akako was exhausted. She sat in her room alone, stretching to the heavens and trying like mad to get the kinks out of her shoulders. The girl had never fought so much in her life. She had never ridden so far and with such urgency. There was hardly a corner of the Hikiji lands she and her fellow ninja hadn't scoured looking for information to help aid their cause. She only wished there were more Neko fighting with them. Akako couldn't believe how the clan had betrayed Yasuhira. They turned their backs on the one man that would bring them honour. Were they that frightened of the light that they'd rather be mired in the dark corners of the earth like worms? It didn't matter. They were winning. She even crossed swords with several units of Neko and they all melted away or were ground into the dirt. Akako felt very different than she had when she set out with Yasuhira to the Geishu. She was no longer a little girl. She felt older and more confident about her place in the world. She also noticed how her body was changing, how men looked at her now and how she looked at them. But her heart seemed to be filled with only one man and he was beyond her. Akako wondered if Yasuhira was using his godlike powers to aid in his victories. But it didn't seem so. If he had he'd be in the castle now, with his father begging at his feet. She wondered now why he was so reluctant to use them. Akako would ask him when she met him again. But she wasn't sure when that would be.

There came a knock at her door. A servant entered bearing some food and drink. The girl marvelled at the bounty set before her, two bowls of rice, pickled vegetables, some sweet cakes and a full pot of tea. It was more than she had in a week. She devoured it all in no time. So quickly in fact that Akako thought she had made herself sick. Luckily she kept it all down. The food made her sleepy, however; she leaned back on her bedding and slipped her hands behind her head. The girl thought about Geishu a lot while on the road. It was such a pretty land. So many happy people lived within it. Tomoe, with her honest eyes and bright smile, appeared in her thoughts. Perhaps there was still hope she and Yasuhira would become married. Their union could facilitate an alliance of sorts between the two houses. And then they could bring the full weight of their power against the Shadow Lord, whose influence seemed never to ebb.

Sleep overwhelmed the girl and her eyelids fluttered closed. Her dreams had troubled her as of late. But Akako thought it had more to do with the war. However even in the quiet of the village, Akako was beset by angry visions and desperate scenes of what may be the future. Her dreams were filled with people she didn't recognise but understood held great power. Perhaps they were gods, she didn't know. Her visions held apparitions that were more celestial in manner and bearing. One face came always at the end. It was a beautiful woman, serene and silent; she glowed and her smile was much like Yasuhira's, so becoming and flattering. Akako always tried to reach out to the woman, even in the waking world her arm lifted into the air. Then came a terrible rush of air around Akako, and an onslaught of fire engulfed her. But the woman still smiled. Usually Akako would awaken, but that day in the village she didn't. The woman opened her mouth, as if to speak.

"Awaken the future."

Akako started and sat upright. She was soaked with sweat and felt a terrible pressure on her forehead. She pressed a finger against her skin and found it was burning hot. Her life had become more than just serving her lord and fighting his enemies. Akako wondered just what her destiny entailed. If she knew then she could face it with a stout heart and be free of confusion and doubt. But there were so many gaps in her future, so many things that have been kept from her. Akako was mired in secrets. But she was older now. She would seek out the truth and would not shy away from the horrors that knowing such things sometimes brings. There was one truth she had discovered on her own, and it was time for her to discern if it was indeed true. The revelation didn't come down from the heavens or was written on a wall, but came from within her heart after careful reflection of the facts. As she lay under the stars between battles she thought about Yasuhira and his actions since his return; the people he influenced and the people that influenced him. Akako noticed a pattern and it frightened her.

Unable to fall asleep again, Akako ventured out into the night. The village was calm despite all the gory business of the morning. Everyone was exhausted. But there was one hut that remained lit and it belonged to Yasuhira. The home was guarded and Akako remained hidden in the shadows wondering what her next course of action would be. Should she disturb her lord that night or wait until the morning? Akako was afraid she would lose heart if she waited. Just as she made the impression of moving, a sound came from behind her.

"Are you all right, Akako?"

The girl spun around and came face to face with Yasuhira. The moon was behind him and covered him in silver radiance. Suddenly, tears began to form in Akako's eyes, and her lips began to tremble. Without a word she rushed Yasuhira and wrapped her arms around his waist. What a blessed little girl she was. How it warmed Yasuhira's heart to have her so close to him. The war and his anger toward his father became meaningless. All Yasuhira wanted in the world was to be with Akako and raise her as his own. Her tears soaked through his clothing.

"What has you so distraught, my dove?"

She kept her face buried against his body, "I'm not distraught, Tono," She sniffed, "I'm filled with joy."

"What joy then?"

"That you are my father."

Akako felt his body tense up and so lifted her face up to look at his. His countenance was a mixture of relief and anxiety. It was such a queer look that it elicited a laugh from the little girl, and that in turn prompted him to laugh as well. He pushed her away slightly, so he could kneel in front of her.

"What makes you think that?"

She took a breath, "How you tried to take care of me. How you hid me from your father for so long. Having me stay in Geishu. What man gives a little girl such responsibility if she isn't his blood?"

He moved aside a strand of hair that had fallen in front of her eyes, "There's my clever girl."
She brightened, "So...you...you're...?"

Yasuhira held her face between his hands and kissed her forehead, on the same spot that Amaterasu had blessed her at her birth. The skin was warm like a summer morning. He then kissed her cheeks and tasted the tears that had covered them.

"Yes, my dove. I am your father."

Akako's face furrowed into a great heap of happiness and more tears were shed. She pressed her face into the nape of his neck and held Yasuhira so tight she was choking off his air supply. The man held her close to him as well. Held her so tightly that she began to feel uncomfortable. But the man wasn't gripped with joy as she was; Yasuhira was fearful now. Now she knew the truth of who she was. Which means he'd have to answer the inevitable questions she'd have about her origins. Moreover, he was aware that with the truth having been revealed, there were those on high that would seek her out. Akako was on dangerous ground. Yasu knew it would happen some day, but he had hoped she had few more years beneath her feet before that day finally came. Such was life. Akako pulled away and now her eyes were now a bit more frantic.

"Father...then who is my..." She trailed off, already fairly sure of the answer.

"Shiroi Hane is your mother."

She drew back further, "Then...then...I am..."

He held her face, "You are a god, Akako. Like she is. Like I am."

The girl drew back further. Then she backed away entirely from the man who was her father. But he wasn't a man. He was a god. She hadn't realised the full truth. Now it was staring her in the face. And she was afraid. Yasuhira stepped into the moonlight and she noticed how his shadow changed. It too revealed the truth. Then so did his body. His face shifted. His body transformed. Yasuhira was a fox who walked like a human. He outstretched his arms to her. Akako looked down at her own shadow and that too became the truth. Her form was no longer human. She turned back to Yasuhira, her eyes still full of tears but now they were formed in fear and heartbreak. It was happening too fast. Far too fast. Yasuhira knew she was suffering but it had to be. Akako had to know the whole truth.

"You were blessed by Amaterasu at birth, Akako. And that blessing hid your true identity from the world and from yourself. But you discovered the truth on your own and I will no longer lie to keep it hidden. You must see."

Yasuhira touched Akako on her forehead and bright light appeared beneath his finger once he had. Akako recoiled and her eyes became milky white. She lifted into the air. Within her mind her memories were unlocked at last. They were like a torrent. Images of people and places filled every corner of consciousness. She shook violently with all that she was shown. Her mouth opened and a great light filled the air around her. The sight of such brilliance even set Yasuhira back a step. He never imagined she would shine so brightly. He never felt more proud. It was over. Akako was aware now. And she was spent. Yasuhira put his arms under her still floating body and then it fell gently into his grasp. He pulled her head close to his chest. The girl was sleeping soundly. Yasuhira felt her breath against his skin. He could feel her tiny heart beating like a drum through his fingers. Rolling his head to the heavens, Yasuhira prayed that there was some way for him to take the girl away from what was to come. But he had tried to escape himself and failed. There was nothing left for him to do but bring the girl inside and let her rest. The guards were startled upon seeing their lord approach, as they hadn't seen him leave. They were startled even more upon seeing what he carried.

He turned to one of the men, "Would you be so kind as to open the door?" He smiled, "My hands are full."

The man bowed and obeyed quickly. As Yasuhira passed through he nodded his thanks over his shoulder. The guard slowly closed the door behind him. Once he returned to his post, he looked at his comrade with a look of bewilderment, which was imitated by the second guard.

Akako did not dream. And she awoke from her slumber easily. Her eyes opened and she stared at the ceiling for several seconds. She felt an unearthly peace overwhelm her body and spirit. The girl could hardly move. A noise nearby did prompt Akako to turn her head to see what was happening. She spied her father busily tending to a cook pot that was suspended over a gentle fire. He stirred it once or twice, then tossed in some brightly coloured spices and stirred it again. Yasuhira seemed quite engrossed by his labours and did not notice that his daughter was looking at him. Akako turned her attention back to the ceiling and shut her eyes once more. But it wasn't to sleep. She needed a moment to collect her thoughts. Her heart was very still; she could hardly feel it beat beneath her chest. The girl even pressed a hand to her breast to ensure that it was still moving inside of her and that she was alive. Do gods even have a heart? Through her fingertips, she felt the organ beating gently. Nothing in her short life had given her such a feeling of relief as the beating of her heart. Akako opened her eyes again and was now looking into the bright countenance of her father. He knelt over the girl holding a bowl of rice.

"I have already eaten, father."

"That was several days ago, my dear." She looked at him bewildered, "I'm sure you'll find yourself quite ravenous now."

Akako sat up and took the bowl. Sure enough the smell of the food triggered something in her stomach and she dove right in. Yasuhira picked up his own food and ate with her, albeit at a more genteel pace than his daughter.

"What has happened since my..." She trailed off.

He smiled, "I have met with my counsel to discuss moving south to meet the Geishu and bring an end to the war."

She paused while eating, "Are you not concerned about the weather, Tono?"

"I am, but the Geishu have raised the stakes so I can't hold back any longer," He suddenly smiled and lowered his face, "You need not call me 'Tono', Akako."

She blushed and set down her empty rice bowl, "Perhaps it would be best I keep calling you that. If the truth were know it may cause some uneasiness with the other lords."

"Wise thinking, my dear. So be it."

While Akako made no reply to his words, Akako did look longingly at his rice bowl though, which he had hardly touched. Yasu smiled and pushed it slightly toward the girl. Akako snatched it up without a moment's hesitation. Yasu left her to finish while he went to fetch some tea and cakes. Akako had finished a good two-thirds of the bowl, when she found herself sated and looked up from the bowl toward her father. Her mind was suddenly filled with questions and she was desperate to ask them. Yasu noticed her quandary, but said nothing; he only poured the tea for the two of them.

"What happens now, father?"

"In regards to what, my dear?"

She took a breath, "In regards to my being a god."

He took away her bowl, and slipped in a cup of tea, "It is simply another burden you have to bear, Akako."

She blinked several times, "Does heaven have plans for me?"

He shrugged, "Perhaps."

She had no response to such a vague answer.

"I have not been made privy to your destiny, Akako. But I am aware they have plans for the both of us," He scoffed, "Hane has made that plain enough over the years. But at the same time she's been habitually tacit of the details."

Akako took a sip of tea, but her hands were shaking, "What is to become of me?"

He touched her hand, which stopped it from shaking, "Come what may, I will always be by your side."

She brightened at that statement, "Thank you, Father."

He touched her cheek, "'Father', I have waited so long to hear you say that word to me," He wiped a tear from her skin, "Another promise I make is that we shall never be separated again. In war or peace, you will be forever at my side, Akako."

She sighed, "Oh, father."

Once again Akako embraced Yasuhira and in doing so spilled her tea and knocked over the rice bowl. While still in each other's arms they laughed at the mess they had made and the mess they had become, as Yasuhira was weeping too. Enough. The man got up to fetch more tea. Akako removed a cloth from the sleeve of her kimono to dry her face.

"I have one question I'd like to ask you personally, Tono."

He only grunted in acknowledgement.

"Why don't you use your powers in the war?"

Now he laughed quite loudly, which shocked Akako slightly, "Is it forbidden?"

He walked over with the pot, "Not so much forbidden, as it would be considered unseemly," He poured her cup and she looked up a him quizzically, "Like pulling the wings off flies to see them suffer," Akako nodded in agreement, "Hardly the proper behaviour of a god. Besides I have vexed the heavens enough in my life I don't need to irritate them more with the petty squabbles of mortal men," He became grim, "But we will soon become involved in their squabbles, Akako, be assured of that. Hopefully we will be able to finish our business on earth before they call upon us to fulfil our destinies," He shrugged playfully, and held up his cup, "Whatever the hell that may be."

They laughed and then drank in unison. More questions followed and Yasuhira answered as best he could. They ate more. Laughed and talked through out the day and into the night. Servants came and went bearing whatever needs they requested and retrieving what had been spent. Once out into the street, some servants would whisper to each other that they had never seen either of them so animated and happy before. They were like different people.

"...And when I rode away on his majesty's horse, I knew that would be the last time the Hikijis would ever be welcomed by the Mikado. And sure enough I received word from my father of his displeasure at my actions. Ah well."

Akako was bright red with laughter, "Oh me oh my, father...that...that was wonderful," She gasped for breath, "The places you've been and the people you've met."

He shrugged, "The privileges of youth, Akako."

She was calm again, "Is that why you left?"

That was a leading question and Yasuhira knew it. Akako asked the question that was the hardest to answer, for it was the most personal and one that he hardly knew himself what the answer was. Yasuhira struggled for the words. Akako was patient.

"So much was happening in my life when I decided to leave. I had thought being a ninja would afford me a disciplined mind to endure it all. When your entire life is devoted to death you need a strong mind and a stout heart to endure it. And for a while it did. But then mother died."

"But I met her."

"Yes, well, you could knock me over with a feather when I discovered the truth. But that didn't happen until Hane appeared as I mourned her loss."

"She didn't waste much time."

"No. And the seduction was easy, I'm sorry to say."

"That's when I arrived."

"And that's when I became aware of the truth," He shook his head, "Quite a burden the truth," Akako said nothing, "I guess I was overwhelmed by it. So I deposited you with the Neko and instructed them to raise you as a ninja," She looked at him quizzically, "Father has an obsession with purity. Your existence would offend him. So I had to hide you somewhere."

"You could tell him of your parentage and mine. I think that would remove some of the stigma."

"The heavens would not have it. Can you image the reaction if people knew that gods walked amongst them, coupled with them and even loved them?"

"Would you have told Tomoe the truth?"

He smiled, "No. But I suspect she has already guessed. Those eyes of hers see so much," Akako blushed, "I left not find out who I was, but to escape from it. I wandered to the west to find a ship that would take me away, to the Middle Kingdom or Korea," He shifted his seat, "Perhaps even to India or Europe," He scoffed, "I had it mind to see these Barbarians in their native habitat, with their funny clothes and one God," He scoffed again, "Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous as having one god? Anyway, I made it only a short distance from port when I began to wither away."

"What do you mean, father?"

"I wasted away, my body shrank until I was nothing more than a living skeleton covered in grey flesh. My predicament caused the seamen to think me disease or cursed so they threw me overboard. Eventually I washed up on shore back home. Where I soon recovered. It was then that I realised I could not run from my obligations."

"None of us can do that, father."

"Ah but humanity has that luxury, Akako, regardless of all their clamour claiming otherwise. That was another great revelation for me," He became despondent, "I take the form of a man, but I'm not one. I am not human."

Akako retreated slightly at his words.

"And neither are you, Akako," He took a breath, "Being a god means being devoid of choice. That is the burden hardest to bear, don't you think?"

Another long day in a seemingly never ending string of long days. And the ironic part was that the starting end of that string began with Yasuhira's return to the Hikijis. Even he wondered what the world would be like if he simply kept wandering. If he settled down as another nameless farmer in one of the many nameless towns that dot the nation and just hid in plain sight. He could not hide from heaven, but he could have spared the world more blood shed. At least that's the feeling he had deep in his heart; the battles were entirely his fault. His father loathed his existence so he did all he could to remove Yasuhira from the face of the earth. Enough. The man was dwelling on the past like a Buddhist. The real world surrounded him. His daughter had fallen asleep, stuffed with food and answers. Yasuhira watched her drift off and then left. There was still much to be done. And it seemed so endless that weren't enough hours in the day to accomplish all that he needed to do before he could sleep himself. Yasuhira would sleep enough when he's dead. He thanked his ninja training for that bit of resolve. And it was the Neko under his banner that concerned him that night.

The Neko were billeted outside the village proper at the insistence of Yasuhira's counsel. Their profession and their previous loyalty made them suspect in their eyes. But then they had been loyal to the Shadow Lord too. That fact seemed to elude the noble gentlemen. Chizu and her comrades didn't care what those fools thought about them; their loyalty was with Yasuhira alone. As well they enjoyed the solitude. It gave them a measure of peace and time to ready themselves for the next phase of the war. They sharpened weapons, poured molten steel into moulds to make new shuriken and got some well-needed sleep. However even with that activity they were always on alert and every one of them became aware of someone approaching. Usually they could tell by the person's footfalls if they were friend or foe, but the individual was difficult to read. That fact made Chizu smile and she knelt in front of the door, which startled the others. Quickly it opened and then they realised the truth. They all joined Chizu in paying homage to their master.

"Lift yourselves, brothers and sisters." He said as he closed the door.

Chizu turned to another Neko, "Some tea for our lord."

Yasuhira waited until the tea was poured and the ceremony had been done with. He waved all his brethren closer and they obeyed. He was beaming with pride at the group before him, though he had wished their numbers were larger. They were nearly one hundred strong and in truth they were the pick of the litter out of the entire Neko clan. Those that remained with Masamune were lickspittle and sycophants or overly ambitious fools who dreamed of becoming Kashira. Surrounding him were strong men and women who understood just what lay at the end of their struggle and it wasn't simply Yasuhira becoming Daimyo.

"Have you all eaten?"

Chizu bowed, "Yes, Tono."

"Are you rested and ready for the battle to come?"

"We await your orders, Tono."

He smiled, "Well my orders are this," He paused for effect, "I want you all in armour from now on," That started the Neko, to say the least, "You all will be seconded to Kenichi's column, they are the vanguard of our forces. The elite," He looked at them all, "Obey him, as you would me."

They bowed in unison and Yasuhira paused again to allow their new role in the war to sink in. Several couldn't hide their astonishment. More smiled as if they had won a great prize. Others were perplexed beyond rational thought. Chizu herself didn't know what to think. It was what her wildest dream come true, becoming honourable retainers of the clan. Yasuhira looked deeply at Chizu and she guessed that he hadn't finished with his orders.

"And I want you, Chizu to ride on my right, as I go into battle," Everyone lost their iron composure with that statement, especially Chizu, "Will you act as my bodyguard and carry my standard as we face our enemies?"

The woman was on the verge of tears, she pressed her forehead to the floor, "It would be the greatest honour of my life, Tono."

He lifted her up by the shoulders, "I am glad, my friend," He looked about to the Neko, "Finish what preparations you have left. See the Quartermaster for the armour as soon as possible. We ride for the southern lands in two days," He stood up, "Soon we will bring the war to an end, one way or another."

He left the Neko to their thoughts and emotions. Hardly a word was spoken by anyone. Chizu was rooted where she knelt. The woman tried not to weep. But eventually her feelings overwhelmed her and she broke down. Her comrades could hardly blame her for the outburst, as they felt the same way. But then it wasn't every day that you were redeemed and that your life was worth something after all.

Yasuhira walked out beyond the village. The night was clear and the stars bright in the sky. He felt the growing chill in the air and his breath was visible in the moonlight. Soon the seasons would turn again and the snows will cover the nation. It was the never-ending cycle of life, death and rebirth. Such was the world. But Yasuhira noticed how men seemed to spend all of their lives doing the same thing. The endless of cycle death, suffering and war. Nothing changes but the names of those who start the cycle. The present turn of the wheel belonged to the Hikiji. Yasu thought about his father and realised there weren't many fond memories they shared. There was nothing resembling love between them, even in his youth. But Masamune was not one to express such emotions to anyone. Perhaps Akarui Mae. And her death cut what little connection he had with love and compassion that was left in his heart. Masamune was as black as his Mon. As much as Yasuhira's heart was bright and gleaming. Come what may Yasuhira would cling to the light for the remainder of his life. And if was his fate to die by either mortal man or by divine hands, he will ensure his death would be in the bright light of day. And the last thing he would feel on his skin was the warmth of the sun.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

43.7K 1.5K 20
﹘A collage AU In which, Y/N moves into a house in Tokyo next to a cocky man who thinks he can get his way with her. 𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐍𝐀 𝐊𝐔𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐀𝐖𝐀 𝐗 𝐅...
72.5K 2.7K 20
If you are a fan of Honami Ichinose, this fiction is definitely for you. It's a collection of short stories about Honami Ichinose.
202K 4.4K 37
This is a idea i got in my mind , its a fairly used concept but i believe i can make mine unique in a way. Enjoy reading my book. Disclaimer: The C...
233 30 14
I'm rewriting my 'demon slayer' story and making it better. Please read and review. Update: The edited version is available on Kindle.