Secret of the Two Kings (89 C...

Oleh coolness_fabulous

NOW FEATURED ON THE OFFICIAL PAGE OF WATTPAD - Historical Fiction Category Synopsis: This story marked the be... Lebih Banyak

SETTING AND HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
PREFACE
PROLOGUE
1장: THE ERA BEFORE THE TWIN PRINCES
제 1 부
제 2 부
제 3 부
제 4 부
제 5 부
제 6 부
제 7 부
제 8 부
제 9 부
제 10 부
제 11 부
제 12 부
제 13 부
제 14 부
제 15 부
제 16 부
제 17 부
제 18 부
제 19 부
제 20 부
제 21 부
제 22 부
제 23 부
제 24 부
제 25 부
제 26 부
제 27 부
AMAZING BOOK COVERS
2장: THE ERA OF THE TEEN TWIN PRINCES
제 28 부
제 29 부
제 30 부
제 31 부
제 32 부
제 33 부
제 34 부
제 35 부
제 36 부
제 37 부
제 38 부
제 39 부
제 40 부
제 41 부
제 42 부
제 43 부
제 44 부
제 45 부
제 46 부
제 47 부
제 48 부
제 49 부
제 50 부
제 51 부
제 52 부
제 53 부
제 54 부
제 55 부
3 장: THE REAL BEGINNING
제 56 부
제 57 부
제 58 부
제 59 부
제 60 부
제 61 부
제 62 부
제 63 부
제 64 부
제 65 부
제 66 부
제 67 부
제 68 부
제 69 부
제 70 부
제 71 부
제 72 부
제 73 부
제 75 부
제 76 부
제 77 부
제 78 부
제 79 부
제 80 부
제 81 부
제 82 부
제 83 부
제 84 부
제 85 부
제 86 부
제 87 부
제 88 부
제 89 부
ANNOUNCEMENT

제 74 부

46 9 42
Oleh coolness_fabulous

As soon as Sae Joo landed his feet on the palace premises, he went straight to Jung Ho's chambers. Asking for an audience was quite new for the Prime Minister, but who was he to reject? The door slid open, revealing the man in his soft, silky nightgown. Jung Ho strolled towards the Prince and offered a seat.

While Shun was left outside, Sae Joo accepted the offer and started talking about his concern. "I am sorry, Prime Minister. Did I disturb you?"

"Not at all, Your Highness. I was just surprised that you visited me in my humble chambers, son-in-law."

The Prince glazed a mischievous stare at the Prime Minister and chuckled, "Son-in-law... Uncle, I truly wish to talk to you more but I'm sleepy so let's make this quick. I know that you want to sleep as well."

Jung Ho raised a brow, waiting for his nephew's concern. Would it be about the upcoming wedding? If not, perhaps, it would be about the mysterious gift sender. Both of those would be a problem if a childish tantrum stroke the Prince as if Cupid hit a soft, fragile, hopeless-romantic girl.

"I guess you already know what I've been up to the whole day. I came to the King, asked him about the baby wrapper, and I got nothing. Lord Dae Wong shut his mouth too—that wouldn't be a surprise. I even traveled six hours to see my grandfather, but I ended up having nothing but vague advice. No one from this family has told me a direct answer until I realized that I still have you." Sae Joo paused and took a deep breath before spilling his true question.

"I know that we have this life-long rift against each other. I don't trust you; you don't trust me. I have accepted that since then. But... I will still try to ask this to you. You're the only one who could help me right now."

"Uncle, who is Sae Yoo?"

Upon hearing the question that he had expected, Jung Ho stared at the beautiful Tang calligraphy hanging on his wall. He smirked like an idiot, reading the ancient proverb. In the midst of chaos, there is opportunity. A timely quote indeed. Everyone who knew the secret was going crazy about Sae Joo's hasty movements. The more he stepped forward, the more they took a big step backwards, all the way up to the edge of the cliff. Jung Ho knew that they would come to this point—that one day, Sae Joo will come to him on his own will to ask about his twin brother. Having the upper-hand on the entire situation made his dormant mind active again. This had to stop. Sae Joo had to stop. He began thinking of ways on how to exploit the weakness of everyone, on how he would handle the bomb properly, and when to detonate it. The main question—where? Right in front of Sae Joo's face? Right in the eyes of all the people in the palace? Ah! What a euphoric feeling for him, weighing all possibilities. The strings of the puppet play have returned to his dirty hands once again.

Jung Ho turned to his nephew and beamed, his eyes sparkling with joy. "Sae Yoo? Fine. I think it's time for you to know the truth. Anyway, what did Minister Yeol tell you about Sae Yoo's identity?"

"Well, err, it's just that... he didn't answer me. He swayed the topic smoothly, saying that I deserve to be happy and that I should not worry about the past anymore. Move forward and don't look back."

"Is that so?" Jung Ho crossed his arms. "Your grandfather has a point though. Sae Yoo was a huge part of this family's past. We never talked about him, but we have never forgotten about him."

"Family's past? What was he to this family? Where is he now?"

"Prince, you have too many questions. One at a time, please. Besides, I don't have the right to tell you the details. After all, it's between you and the King."

"But you said I deserve to know the truth," Sae Joo complained.

"Yes, but I didn't say I will tell you—exactly."

"His Highness didn't say anything. He even acted like he didn't even know him."

Jung Ho acted like he was shocked, surprised, or baffled of the King's response. His forehead wrinkled, and his lips rounded open. "Really? Did he say that to you, Your Highness?"

"Yes."

"Well, like what I've said, he was just a person in the past. The King didn't want you to know his identity. If that was his decision, then I don't want to go any further. The only thing that you need to know is that he was a part of the royal family. That's it."

"No. I won't accept that. I need to know the entire truth. What are you hiding from me?"

"Why are you so eager to know? Aren't you satisfied with what you have? Your position, your power, everything! Sometimes, it's better to stay in the dark to protect everything you have. That way you will survive. Don't do anything, don't say anything. Put your blindfold on, and let us hold your hands as we guide you. Do you follow, Your Highness?"

Sae Joo frowned, but he nodded afterwards. "Fine. I'll believe you, Uncle. I want to discuss something with you tomorrow, with the King."

"Sure."

"Then, I have to go now." Sae Joo stood, bowed his head, and left the Prime Minister's room.

~~•~~

Before the morning sun rose into the skies, Sae Joo had already dropped by the King's chambers, together with Dae Wong and Jung Ho. With an existing urgent problem, none of them had managed to have a deep sleep. Concealed eye bags hung below their eyelids, and the only thing keeping them awake was the warmth of the room and the scent of the hot, steaming ginger teas before them.

It appeared as if it was a formal meeting. Their facial expressions were one—hard like a rock, frozen like ice. Sae Joo broke the silence and stated his concern. He picked a small crumpled paper from his pocket and laid it on the table. The three took a peek, and all their body hair stood. A sudden flash of goosebumps. An abrupt drop in temperature.

"Who would dare?" Jae Joong clumped his fingers.

"How did you get that, Your Highness?" asked Jung Ho as he sipped his tea.

"You all know that I am looking for answers. None of you wanted to give me a clear answer anyway. Shun and I were traveling in the woods, back from my grandfather's house, when an arrow suddenly hit a tree. A note was with the arrow. What do you think should I do? Shall I face them to get answers—answers to questions that my own family has been evading?"

"Sae Joo!" glared Jae Joong.

"Why, Your Majesty? You don't have to say it on my face. I know all of you are hiding something. That's why you've never answered my questions. You've always treated me like a kid. Do you think you could always sway me using your words of comfort? Truth is like garbage. No matter how hard you try to hide them, they will always reveal their awful smell."

Dae Wong could not hold himself back for the disrespect. Was this the kind of King that they were raising? He finally barked, "So what? Not all questions are meant to be answered, Prince. Some facts are better hidden; sometimes, living in the right amount of cloudiness is alright. There are tons of reasons why these kinds of trash were hidden and buried deep below. I know that you are intelligent. I hope that you have seen the possibility that we are trying to protect you. Trust me—your little problem is irrelevant compared to what your true problems are as the future king."

"How would I be a good king if I don't know the whole story of my family? If I am ignorant of history? I won't be able to function well if I am not complete. Just give me peace of mind. I just want to know the truth, that's all. Then I promise to focus on what lies ahead," answered Sae Joo.

"Easy for you to say that, Prince. I've seen you grow up, and I know you very well. From the way I see it, you are curious about that person because you think he's related to you. I'm telling you now—he's not. Sae Yoo had been related to your father. That person has nothing to do with you. We are doing this to keep you away from distractions, knowing your personality. If you get curious about how far the sun is from the sky, you will do everything you can to know it. That's what you are. Always distracted and curious about trivial things. So please, Your Highness, listen to us. We are doing this to protect you, to protect everyone. Knowing less is good, if that means, you could protect everything you have. Please, do us a favor, Your Highness."

Sae Joo's eye blinked faster than someone could say, 'I love you.' He bit his lips and pinched his palm—torn between his mind and his heart. His two vital organs have been on the verge of breaking each other as they have been fighting in a chaotic arena just recently. "Go for it! Search for the truth. Show them that you're big enough, man enough to handle the truth," says his brain. "Stop! You know you couldn't handle it. Let's just live in peace, Sae Joo. Please?" yearned his heart.

He could not respond to the minister's warning and favor. His voice froze from his larynx, unable to resonate properly. As he took a deep breath in, Jung Ho suddenly spoke, shattering the mood of the discussion. "Fine. I will tell you the truth."

Jae Joong and Dae Wong clenched their teeth as they glared to the attention-seeking Prime Minister.

"What did you just say?" shouted Jae Joong.

"Why, Your Majesty? Let's trust his words. He thinks he's man enough to handle everything. Besides, nothing can happen anyway. It's not like it would rise up again and threaten us—the royal family. You two know what I mean, don't you?"

"Shut your mouth, Prime Minister!" protested Dae Wong.

Jung Ho cast an icy, soulless glance to the two restless cats, and then he turned to his nephew again. "Prince, I will answer your questions, but it won't be for free."

Sae Joo glowered, but the Prime Minister's words ignited his interest. "Tell me what you want, Prime Minister."

"A simple favor. Help us catch that crazy person—or persons, whatever, who kept on sending you those cryptic messages. They should be punished for what they're doing. They're making a fool of us. Who knows what they would do next? Spread false information to trigger mass hysteria? We don't know. This has to stop. The truth should come only from us—your family."

Jae Joong was about to hiss and spit his venom to his brother when Dae Wong suddenly gripped his arm. The minister glued a stare, shaking his head subtly. For the first time in a long era, Dae Wong had put his trust in Jung Ho's strategy. An ironic situation like this never crossed his mind. The three pillars of the palace joining forces to defeat an unknown enemy, to hide their deepest secrets and bury them together. Who would have thought that Jung Ho could be their momentary ally?

The Prime Minister leaned back, waiting for the Prince's answer. "How's that, Prince?"

"Fine. Let me help. Like you, I also want to catch these jerks and ask them why they're doing all of these. Please, I'm begging all of you. Please tell me the truth after. I'm placing my bets on you. Please don't end up disappointing me." Sae Joo's forehead wrinkled as he pleaded.

"So it's all settled. Don't forget our deal, Prince."

"I won't. So—how do we do this?"

~~•~~

After around an hour or so, Sae Joo left the King's chamber with a plan yet to be accomplished. Finally, he could have serenity down within. Perhaps this was the right move for him to get all his answers. Even though he could not fully trust his uncle, he would bet his life on him. That would be the best thing to do in order for all of them to settle the problem once and for all. It would be a win-win situation.

He headed back to his chambers to prepare. Lunchtime came, and the dusk time was arriving like a bullet train. The elders had also prepared the things needed to do their strategy—to catch those impudent fools one time. Jae Joong, together with Jung Ho and Dae Wong, checked to see if the Prince was ready. A small palanquin was waiting outside the pavilion. About five escort guards and ten Yellow Tigers were standing in attendance, waiting for their master.

Ten minutes passed by, and Sae Joo stepped out from the pavilion and greeted the elders. "Let's do this."

"Be careful, Sae Joo," said Jae Joong.

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. I have these escorts to keep me safe. Matter fact, I don't feel any danger at all. I feel that killing me is not one of their intentions."

"Don't assume, Your Highness. Their method of sending these letters and gifts is already a sign that they are not someone you could trust," added Dae Wong.

Jae Joong craned his head, looking for someone. "I don't see Shun. Where is your bodyguard, Prince?"

"I asked him to do some errands. He won't be a part of this mission."

Jung Ho butted in, "True. You're the only one who's going to be involved. Get your act done, Your Highness, and let's catch them all at once. Be sure to maximize your speaking skills and lure them. We'll follow you after."

Sae Joo bowed his head. "I should get going. The sun is about to set."

~~•~~

Only until the last ray of the orange sun died out from the skies when Jung Ho and his men arrived at the said meeting place. Ojin Hill still had its delicate beauty. A beauty that adjusted and lasted for years. As Jung Ho trampled on the tall grasses (some are even taller than him), the unforgiving chilling winds blew from west to east; memories that had died twenty-three years ago resurrected on his head. The ever-growing green swords were witnesses to one of the biggest crimes ever committed in the history of Jae Joong's reign. The spectators of an unfair game that had cost not only the life of Prince Sae Joo but two other innocent people, who were just stuck between the tumultuous story of the royal family—the poor Head Nurse who died just for a fatal secret to be kept and her pure angel who could be in paradise.

Between the spaces of the almost inseparable grasses, Jung Ho and his men in full camouflage, crawled in silence, vigilantly watching and waiting for any signs of the enemies. The borrowed light from the sun was almost vanishing, and the sight of the Prince's palanquin, a few paces away, slowly dissipated into the thin cold air.

"Any signs of those fools yet?" asked Jung Ho.

"None yet, Your Excellency," a nangdo confirmed.

"Are you sure? It's almost night time. Will they not show up?"

After around half an hour or so, Jung Ho's short thread of patience finally reached its endpoint. What if the Prince has already been hurt? Not yet. Not yet, he thought. As quick and silently as he could, he sneaked his way to the Prince's palanquin. He found out that that the guards were still there, waiting and guarding the carriage.

"Prince, where are they? Have you talked to them?"

He mouthed the same questions to the guards but all of them just bowed their heads, as if they were afraid of a spiteful ghost.

"Did you just ignore me?" he stomped to the palanquin door and knocked. "Your Highness, are you alright? Open up, please." he turned again to a random guard and asked, "What in the world just happened? Did he just talked to them and let them go?"

"Prince, open up!" the respectful knock evolved into a pummel.

"If you don't respond, I will open the door." Jung Ho shook his head and sighed before he slid the door open.

His eyes almost fell out of its socket when he saw the occupant inside. He gritted his teeth and roared.

"Shun? What in the world are you doing up there!" 

__________

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

4.7K 280 43
Choi Misun, the only heir to her father's throne, was a regular teenage girl who was born with high position. She liked to be with her friends, go on...
4.5M 212K 82
Surprise! Your parents have been keeping a secret from you - you are royal princess and sole heir to the throne. To break the news to you, your paren...
92.5K 4.9K 76
What kind of love is worth Bearing in mind for a lifetime. Jimin is searching for his Lost love Jungkook. While Jungkook try to avoid him at any cos...
1.3M 62.9K 39
My heart ached when I saw him with the princess. She was his fiancée. The pain was unbearable. I knew all too well that I would never be in her posit...