Must Love Dogs

By E_Ajanovic07

Now Rated M. Stefan Salvatore is a successful real estate owner with problems. An ex-wife who takes everythin... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty- Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty- Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty- Two
Chapter Thirty- Three
Chapter Thirty- Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Missing Scene: Trainer Girl
Chapter 40: Pesky Feelings
MLD: Missing Scene: Had You Stayed..

Chapter Thirty-Eight

1.1K 34 37
By E_Ajanovic07

A/N: So, here it finally is, the last chapter which takes place 2 months later after chapter 37!

I know that I said "Must Love Dogs" would have a few more chapters. However, I ended up combining a few ideas and come up with this. I just wanted to say thank you all for your encouraging words and reviews. I wouldn't have written this story for this long if you all hadn't loved it so much. With that being said, just a quick shout out to JRdrgzXO for her continuous support and allowing me to rant when this story got frustrating with ideas at times. Thank you, Jacquelyn! You're the best!

Once more, thank you all for the support and for reading. Hope you like the last chapter of "Must Love Dogs" it's truly been amazing for me to write. :')

Must Love Dogs- Chapter Thirty-Eight

2 Months Later...

"So, what are the results?" Katherine asked, ringing her fingers together until she could hear her knuckles snap. Her feet dangled and hit against the exam bed as an older blonde woman glanced over her chart with a smile.

"You're pregnant." She told her, watching as the brunette's eyes grew wide and she sniffled a little. "Really?"

"Yes. Congratulations, Mrs. Salvatore." She smiled, watching Katherine turn around and grab her purse from behind her.

"I need to call my husband and tell him the great news." Katherine said, wiping away her tears as she got down from the exam table and thought about giving her doctor a hug. However, the serious look on the woman's face changed her mind.

"Be sure to do that. Have a wonderful day, Mrs. Salvatore." The doctor said, watching as Katherine smiled back at her before exiting the room. "You too."

Her hands shook with excitement as she dialed Damon's cell phone number while walking out of the offices. Katherine smiled the whole way until she came into the parking lot and heard Damon's husky voice answer the phone. "Hello beautiful."

"Hi babe." Katherine replied simply, choking back on her tears as Damon breathed deeply.

"How did your doctors visit go?" He asked her with a curious and anxious tone as Katherine's shaking hands opened the car door and she excitedly said. "It went amazing. I have something to tell you when I get home though."

Damon was quiet for a little while, his mind playing around with the idea of what Katherine seemed to be hiding from him. "I can't wait to hear the news." He smiled as she giggled into the phone. "And, I can't wait to tell you."

The drive home seemed longer than usual as Katherine ran out of the car and straight into the house. "Izzie! Damon!" She shouted out into the quiet house as she frantically searched for her daughter and husband.

"I just got back from dropping Izzie off at my mother's. She wanted to spend some time with our daughter." Damon informed his wife as Katherine frowned a bit and then looked up to see Damon sitting on the couch, a football game was playing on the TV in which he seemed to be completely mesmerized by.

"Can you turn that off for a minute. We need to talk." Katherine said, folding her arms across her chest as Damon's blue eyes shifted upwards and he leaned back into the couch cushions, telling her to sit down beside him because she was shaking.

"I'm sorry." Katherine laughed nervously, feeling Damon's hands on top of hers as he tried his best to calm her down. She closed her eyes while his other hand caressed her cheek and he smiled at her gleefully. "What's going on sweetheart?" He asked.

Katherine's eyes were brimming with unshed tears as she inhaled sharply and then she announced. "I didn't just go to the doctor for a regular check up. Damon, I went because I've been having morning sickness and I wasn't sure at first if it really was what I thought it could be. So," She paused, staring up at Damon who was smiling widely at her with a look of total shock on his face. "We're pregnant?" He asked with a sweet and adoring gaze.

Katherine nodded. "Yes, baby. We're going to have another baby girl or a baby boy. It's still too early to really know the gender of the baby. But, Izzie's going to be an older sister either way." Katherine rambled on through her tears at the thought of her little girl taking on the role of being a big sister.

Damon sat beside her for a long time, stunned by her words as he pulled Katherine into him and kissed the side of her face. "I love you and no matter what the baby is. I just want us all to be a happy and healthy family." He smiled as she too agreed with him.

"I can't wait for you to be a father again and this time you don't need to worry about missing out on things because you won't be working so much." She added in, feeling Damon's hand make small circles against her arm as they sat on the couch and Katherine rested her head against his shoulder while he smiled at the thought. "Yeah, and I can't wait for it either." Damon confirmed, pulling her even closer to him and resting his hand gently on her flat stomach as he smiled with watery eyes at his wife when he stated. "Katherine Salvatore, I love you and our children are the luckiest kids alive with a mother as amazing as you."

Elena's bottom lip shook as she looked at Stefan through watery eyes. Closing her mouth quickly because she wasn't even really sure of what she wanted to say. Stefan was standing in their bedroom holding Ben in his arms, rocking him back and forth. He had been encouraging Elena to engage with their son. After being born two months early, Ben hadn't suffered that many health problems and they were both thankful for him being a fairly health and thriving baby boy. However, ever since they had brought him home, Elena began withdrawing herself from him and Stefan was taken back by it. She seemed completely detached. It broke his heart to see her this way, he hated that she seemed so different than what she had been like just months before. She was happy, excited and could barely wait for them to start their lives together as family and to fill her new role of being a first time mother.

"I was going to go call my brother and see how the house hunting was going, maybe call your mom to help out with Ben today." Stefan suggested as he cradled their son in his arms and stared down at the sleeping baby. Ben was beautiful, his son was warm and smelled amazing because of his baby shampoo. He was a bit smaller than most of the babies that had been at the ward. Although, the doctor and nurses had reassured Stefan and Elena that he'd grow into a being a strong baby within time. It didn't matter that Ben woke Stefan up at multiple times during the night. He didn't care when he got up with the fussy baby and rocked him gently in the nursery until he fell asleep again. It didn't bother Stefan either, that he had bags underneath his eyes because all he wanted to do, was be with his son every chance he got and lately with Elena being in the state she was. Stefan had taken on the responsibility of care taker.

"Elena, babe. I know that you need time. I know that getting used to the baby and our new place is an adjustment. But, you haven't held him since we brought him home from the hospital, you haven't breast fed him and they say that-." Elena's sharp voice broke the sudden tension between them as she glared up at Stefan as if he had cursed her mother's name in vain.

"They say what? Huh? Since when have you become an expert in all things that a mother should know?" She hissed at him as Stefan took a step back and began turning away from their bed.

"It's been two months. Two months since our son came home from the hospital with a clear bill of health and you haven't even acknowledged his existence. Elena, it's like he's done something wrong to you."Stefan commented in a hopeless tone, his eyes narrowing down to the baby in his arms as he thought about all the things they had been through since Ben had been born.

Stefan had thought they were fine, he thought that they'd make it and for a while. They were happy, deep down he knew that they were because he could see it on Elena's happy face and in her loving brown eyes. That was until Elena started experiencing migraines all the time and began having mood swings and then the lively spark she once had, the smile she once wore around everyone began to disappear just like a fading star in the night. Although, the final blow had come just a few weeks ago when she began distancing herself from him and from the baby. Elena didn't even dare look at Ben at all anymore and she didn't even want to hold him or engage with her son like she once had done. It broke Stefan's heart because he had tried so hard to help her cope with her feelings and get to the root of her problems. However, when she said that the thought of her being a mother repulsed her and that she wasn't good enough to take all of the pressure in which the title carried on. Stefan was finally beginning to lose all hope and that's when he knew he couldn't help her fight it whatever dark demons she had within herself anymore. This disease that had began taking over her life, this sadness within her was something that she had to learn to fight off alone and as much as it broke his heart, Stefan knew that she was the only one who could cure herself. Even if it took years though, he still wanted to try and help her pull through.

"I just miss talking to you like we used to do." He told her, pivoting on his heel to see her sink back into the bed and bury herself into the covers. Elena sighed out deeply, turning away from him as she heard him leave the room for a few minutes. Maybe if it was better to stay silent, maybe admitting the truth to herself and saying that she had developed postpartum depression a few months after giving birth to Ben, would make things one hundred times worse. So, she hadn't taken the doctors advice and she hadn't really taken care of herself in the process, including Ben. Stefan did most of the work already and she knew that he hadn't signed up for playing the role of both mother and father, which made her feel even more guilt ridden.

"I'm sorry, alright? I'm sorry that I'm such a disappointment to you and to our son." Elena cried into the pillows, hearing his foot steps come back inside the room as he sat on the edge of the bed, without the baby in his arms. He looked helplessly at her. Stefan would have given anything in this world to just have her be herself again and happy as she had been just months before she began to change.

"Are you going to leave me?" She whispered into the pillow, burying her makeup smeared face into the white pillow case beneath her head.

He exhaled deeply, rubbing her back gently. "No, sweetheart. I'm here to stay, remember?" He paused, closing his eyes and trying his hardest to not cry in front of her when he added quickly changing the subject. "I put Ben down for a nap. Elena, tell me what I can do and I'll do it. I'll do anything to make you feel better." He told her. At this point, he would have really given it all up just to see her lovingly smile at him.

"I can't do this." She replied, turning to him as her eyes glazed over with tears and she gripped on to his hand tightly when Stefan asked."What do you mean?"

"I don't think I was ever cut out to be a mother, Stefan." Elena admitted with a sorrowful tone, securing her eyes on to him and slowly lifting up her body from the bed as Stefan pushed back from her, releasing her hand. "Sweetie, what are you saying?" He asked as Elena swallowed back her tears and with a quivering bottom lip she uttered out. "I'm saying that Ben's better with you than he is with me. It's not that I don't love him. Stefan, I love him. I do. I just, I feel like he isn't mine. Like, I'm not the one who gave birth to him." She sobbed, clutching on to him as he held her closely.

"You're just tired, that's all. You just need some sleep. Your his mom and he loves you." He reassured her, leaning her back into the bed and kissing her forehead as Elena watched him slowly get up.

"Stefan." Elena's voice was weak as he got up and stood near the door again, turning back to look at her.

"Stay. Please, just lay here with me." Elena hated that she was begging him to be with her. But, she needed it. She craved affection and the need of being close to him. After having Ben she had thought that things would be better, that they'd be happy and finally get to move out of Portland. However, as the weeks began to pass, Elena had began to feel like everything was caving in on her while she tried caring for Ben and then it all began to feel like it was too hard to breathe and too hard to handle.

"Okay." He said softly, pushing back the covers and laying beside her. He felt her rest her head against his chest as she scooted her body closer to his. Stefan lifted his arm up, watching her head rest in the curve of his shoulder. "I love you so much." He told her softly, kissing the top of her head as Elena closed her eyes and laid silently beside Stefan. There wasn't much that she wanted to say. She just wanted to be near him in the moment without any words. Maybe it was because she didn't know how to really say them anymore without them fighting constantly about things.

"I want you to know that I'll do anything in my power to help you get better. Baby, you and our son are my life now. You know that right?" He asked her, watching her gaze shift up as he felt her take a hold of his hand and intertwine their fingers.

"I know. But, you can't be the one to save me." Elena whispered softly, drifting off to sleep in his arms as he held her closely while tears began to trickle down his cheeks. He couldn't understand what was going on or what she meant by those words. However, he knew that as much as he wanted her to be wrong about saying it. Stefan knew Elena was right. She needed to be the one to save herself from the demons she was clearly battling from within.

A few days had passed sine Elena's achingly painful episode and as the light shined in from the blinds, leaving their faces a bit sun kissed. Stefan rolled over into her and pulled her close. She turned around in his arms. Since the baby had been born, it was the first time in months that they had woken up together without being interrupted and in the same bed. Stefan had been sleeping in their guest room because he didn't want to wake Elena up when he would go to their son for his changing of diapers and feedings which were at all hours in the night. It was the first time in weeks that Elena had woken up with a smile spreading across her lips too and part of Stefan had hope that may be she was getting better after all.

"Good morning." He whispered into her ear, kissing the tip of her nose as his arm lazily draped over her back, making small circles against her skin.

"Good morning." Elena replied back, placing her hand on to his cheek as she leaned into him and kissed his lips gently.

"We should do something fun today. Maybe take Ben around town and downtown to a park. There's these boats coming in near the pier that we can go watch."Elena suggested, a glistening of hope in her brown eyes that had lately seemed so vacant and distant.

"I'm better today. I'm okay." She reassured him, leaning over and placing her hand on top of Stefan's while she got up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed and on to the floor.

He inhaled sharply. Klaus was coming into town and Stefan had told him that they could meet up for lunch later today. He'd forgotten about it clearly and now he felt like a jerk for saying anything at all to Elena whom he truly believed was doing a bit better. She seemed like her old self, even if it was for the briefest of moments.

"Babe, Klaus is coming into town and I said we could meet up for lunch or a late dinner. He's got a lay over of two hours. So, I was going to see him for a bit. I haven't seen him in months, Elena." Stefan replied as Elena glanced down at the engagement ring on her hand, inhaling deeply and turning to Stefan with a sudden smile on her face.

"That's fine. Stefan, go and have some fun with him. You and I can plan something later for the evening." She said, glancing back to see a flooding of relief across Stefan's facial expression.

"Okay." He replied, pulling her back towards him and kissing her neck while he felt her body relax at his touch. Elena placed her hand against his cheek and exhaled. "I've missed you." Stefan said, watching Elena's hand slip away right after he left a kiss upon her wrist.

"I'm right here, Stefan. I didn't go anywhere." Elena told him with a small giggle as she pushed away from him for a moment and turned in his arms. Their eyes were deadlocked on each other as she reached out with her other hand and touched his face with delicate fingertips.

"I've missed you too." Elena replied back, her eyes glazing over with tears as she leaned into him and left a kiss upon his lips just as they both heard Ben's echoing cries flood into their bedroom.

Stefan smiled at her, brushing his fingers sweetly across her face as he backed away and jumped off the bed. "I got him." He stated, swallowing the lump in his throat as he stopped near the door for a moment and glanced over to see Elena lay back into the pillows behind her. She was content and for the smallest moment in time, Stefan had finally saw her old self return.

"He's lucky to have you. Such an amazing father." Elena pointed out, watching Stefan blush a little as he nodded and opened his mouth to speak. "It's a huge adjustment. But, we're going to be okay." He bolstered as Elena watched him disappear out of view and under her breath she whispered. "I know. I know that you will be."

"Stefan!" Klaus shouted after him, patting the empty bar stool seat beside him as Stefan smiled up at his old friend and slide into it.

"How long is the lay over in Portland?" He asked, watching Klaus with a beaming grin as he folded his hands in front of him and laughed. "I just got here, mate. I haven't seen you in over seven months and you're asking when I'm leaving? That's not really something you say to an old friend, Stefan." He joked, patting Stefan's back and giving me a bright smile. "I've missed you." He could hear Klaus admit as he leaned over the bar table and looked around the restaurant. It was just the two of them in the small space as he looked at Klaus and exhaled deeply. "I've missed you too."

Klaus lifted up his two fingers, calling the bartender over as they both watched the young light brown haired man walk over to them with a notepad in hand. "Can I get you both something?" He asked, tapping his pen against the wooden table in front of them.

"Yeah, a scotch on the rocks for me and for my friend-." Stefan cut him off before Klaus could order as he glanced down at the promise ring on his own hand and said simply. "I'll have a diet soda."

Klaus stayed quiet for a while, not really sure of what to say as he waited for the bartender to leave and once he did, his attention went straight back to Stefan. "You know, there once was a time where you hated diet soda and loved getting drunk with me. As I recall, it wasn't that long ago." He joked, nudging his best friends shoulder playfully.

Stefan shrugged his shoulders back. "I have responsibilities now, Klaus. I have a son and fiancee waiting for me at home. She's not doing well and I'm worried about her. The doctor said that they think her symptoms will pass over time. Elena's not just moody. There's something else wrong. Her doctors says that it's postpartum depression and that it's common in some new mothers." He cleared his throat, trying to explain further in detail.

"I'm sorry, mate. I hope she gets well soon. How's Ben doing?" Klaus asked him with a concerned tone as he inhaled through gritted teeth at the thought of Stefan's stressful situation.

"Ben's good. He's amazing. I never thought I'd love anyone more than I love Elena until I held him in my arms for the first time after he was discharged from the hospital. He's going to be a wonderful little boy and I can't wait for Elena to start feeling better so that we can watch him grow up together." He paused, licking his bottom lip as their drinks came and Stefan held on to his ice cold soda for a minute before continuing to talk.

"Once Elena gets better we're planning on moving back to Florida. I still have the old condo there and Damon said that Rebekah didn't ruin it too much. There are a few minor repairs that will need to take place. But, it all can be fixed within a week or two." He added in, shifting his gaze so that his eyes rested directly on Klaus who suddenly seemed a bit nervous.

"Speaking of Florida and your lovely hometown..." His voice trailed off as he gripped on to his drink and locked eyes with Stefan. Klaus's facial expression was serious and he was contemplating if he should say what he really wanted to say to his best friend. However, he knew that Stefan would eventually pry it out of him if he didn't tell him in the moment.

"What about it? Are you and Caroline still living together at the new place with Duke? Damon told me about that by the way. And, he said that you two seem happy. It makes me glad to hear that because I think that you're good for her. Caroline and I wouldn't have lasted. She's a great friend to me and I love her like a sister. But, we wouldn't have been good in a relationship together." Stefan admitted as Klaus nodded and then he blurted out something that surprised them both. "I want to ask Caroline to marry me, Stefan. I came here because I wanted your blessing."

"What?" Stefan asked in a surprised tone as Klaus glanced over at him and explained.

"My own family doesn't really care about me. Aside from you and my younger brother Kol. I don't have many people who are that interested in my life or who care about how I live it. So, since Kol is busy with his job. I wanted to ask you what you thought about me asking Caroline to be my wife?" Klaus asked as his question rang through the air.

Stefan sat across from him, speechless. Surely, he wasn't one to talk since he and Elena weren't even married yet and had done nearly everything backwards in regards to their relationship. So, he was openly honest with him. "I think you should do it. You clearly care about her and love her. So, why wait?"

Stefan could feel Klaus's heavy hand on his shoulder as he felt himself being pulled towards Klaus and into a hug. "Thank you, mate. This truly means more to me than you'll ever know. I want to invite you all to the wedding and I want to meet my nephew. I know I'm not really his uncle or anything. But-."

Stefan's hand resting on Klaus's shoulder stopped him from saying anything further as he watched Stefan's green eyes light up with an idea. "How about you and Caroline become my son's godparents?" He asked.

Klaus snorted out a laugh as he smiled at Stefan and with worried eyes he asked. "Are you sure?"

Stefan nodded in confirmation. "Of course, I am. Listen, Damon and Katherine are his aunt and uncle. My dad and mom are his grandparents. But, just in case anything ever happens to me or to Elena. I want someone else to be there and to be involved in Ben's life too. And, I'd pick you and Caroline in a heart beat. I love you both dearly and so will Ben."

Klaus inhaled sharply, trying to prevent himself from crying as he pulled Stefan into a bear hug and kissed the top of his best friends head. "It would be my honor, being your son's godfather." Klaus proudly stated as Stefan backed away from the hug and smiled at him. "And, I couldn't picture anyone more perfect than you and your future wife to be there for him. I love you and I love her very much, Klaus. So, go live your life with Caroline and be happy together." Stefan advised as he watched Klaus pulled him into another hug while whispering. "Thank you, mate. We love you too and if there is anything that you ever need, you let me know. I'm here for you, Stefan. Whenever and wherever you need me. I will always be here for you."

Hours had passed since Stefan had said goodbye to Elena and Ben. Giving them some alone time and going out to see Klaus was just what he had needed. It had been too long since they'd see each other and Stefan desperately needed someone to confined in. Shortly after they left each other, Stefan returned home and anxiously began opening the front door to their apartment.

"Elena!" Stefan shouted out her name, flipping on the lights in the kitchen as he noticed that Ben's car seat was gone and that his blankets were all neatly folded on the couch. Stefan froze in place, his heart was thumping so loudly against his chest that he could hear it beating in his ears. Elena hadn't mentioned that she'd be taking him anywhere. She had just said that they'd be spending the evening inside until Stefan returned.

"Elena!" He shouted her name again, a lot more frantically this time as his heart started sinking deeper and further into the pit of his stomach while Stefan walked into the bedroom. Their bed was made, although something still seemed off as he moved quicker through the bedroom, examining it a bit closer. Hangers were the only things left inside of the closet on the side of where Elena had her clothes. Her perfume and her clothes were gone, along with a few suitcases and her purse. Stefan slammed his fists against the wall in frustration as he cursed under his breath. "Damn it. Elena, what have you done!" Stefan yelled out, leaning his hands against the wall and exhaling deeply. She hadn't given any signs that she wanted out of what they were starting to create with each other- a life.

Stefan stood in the closet for a while, closing his eyes and breathing deeply. He couldn't do this. He couldn't be a single dad to their son if she decided that she wasn't coming back and never wanted to be with him again. Stefan didn't want to have to explain to Ben why his mother just left without any reason or explanation. However, as he opened his eyes and looked around the room for a minute. He noticed what looked like a letter on the night stand where Elena had once kept her collection of perfumes, not all that remained was the letter that she had intentionally left leaning against a mirror in the room. Stefan slowly moved away from the walk in closet, his eyes glazed over with tears as he glanced up to look at himself in the mirror.

What kind of man would allow his fiancee to leave him? What kind of man was he for her to not be happy enough with? Had he done something wrong during the time he had came back into her life? But, most of all. How was he going to explain this to his son once he found out where Ben was? All those questions ran rampant through his mind as Stefan's shaking hands picked up the white colored envelop that was hand written in Elena's hand writing. Although, it wasn't addressed to Stefan as he had thought. It simply read To loves of my life.

Stefan gently wiped away the tears in his eyes as opened up the envelop and read it out loud with a trembling voice. His first thoughts had gone to if she had taken Ben with her. However, upon opening the letter and noticing her engagement ring that she had left behind too. Stefan was sure that most of his questions would find their answers within her words.

To the only one that I will always love,

Stefan, I know you must be furious with me at the moment and think that I'm such a selfish person. But, I'm writing this with tears in my eyes because part of me doesn't even want to leave your side. I watched him today, watched as Ben's eyes closed while he slept against my chest for the first time in months. And, I thought to myself how amazing it was to bring him into this world and how much he means to me. I didn't think about it that much then. But, as I sit here now, watching Ben lay on the floor and coo at me. It breaks my heart to know that I'm leaving you and him behind. Stefan, I'm not well. And, I don't want you to hate me for this. Maybe it's better this way, leaving without a face to face apology so that we don't need to see the pain in each others eyes. I'm leaving our son with you. The light of my life and the joy of yours, because you are the most amazing father that he'll ever know and have by his side as he grows up into the fascinating young man we both know that he'll be. Don't you dare ever doubt that you aren't good father. Because, I've seen it with my own eyes and you are. Stefan, you're the best for him.

At my request, please don't try and find me. Just know that I'd never leave without a reason. Although, the reason has nothing to do with you or our son. You've done nothing wrong. Baby, you loved me as much as you could. I just wasn't strong enough to love myself.

I love you and I have been lucky enough to be loved by you. Thank you for showing me what true love is. I know that I need to do this to get better and I promise that you or our son didn't do anything wrong and push me away. Please, don't blame yourself for my departure. I'm about to drop Ben off at my brothers and never look back. Call him in a few hours, I promise that our son will be there with him, in good hands. Stefan, there are a lot of things that I can't explain anymore. Why I feel like this. Why I can't look at myself in the mirror without wishing I was someone else and that I hated myself less than I really do.

I hope that within my words you'll find some comfort and solace and know that my choice in leaving wasn't your fault. I thought I could do this with you and with our son. I thought we could be a family. But, I thought wrong. I'm not good for him like this, Stefan. And, I'm not a good enough person for you either. You deserve someone who will love you without doubts in her mind if you'll leave her. Maybe in a few years, you'll move on too and find someone who will accept Ben as her own. Maybe she won't be such a coward as I was in being a mom and a fiancee.

Your mind must be filled with questions as to why I even wrote this letter to you. I'm writing this because I need to explain why I couldn't stay and watch Ben grow up into a strong and loving little boy. Why I was too weak to not be able to handle being a mother. This depression has taken it's hold over me and I can't escape it without seeking help for it. So,I won't be around to see Ben's first steps or hear his first words. And, I know that in a few years he'll start asking you why I left and never came back. So, with saying that,this letter isn't just for you. It's for Ben as well. Over the last few months, I've written various letters for our son and I want you to promise me that you'll read them to him, each year when he begins to understand more and begin to ask where his mommy went. Each letter is for different stages in his life and there are only a few. Please, Stefan I know that they'll be hard to read. But, I want him to know that I didn't leave him behind because I was a bad mother or because I didn't love him. Because, I do. I love him so much.

Stefan slowly turned to the second page as tears began making his eyes blurry and he inhaled deeply while reading the rest of what Elena had written to their son.

My sweet loving baby boy. From the first time I held you in my arms, I know that you were going to be something spectacular in this world. I'm sorry for leaving you, Ben. It breaks my heart for making this choice. However,I want you to know that this had nothing to do with you. Your mother is very sick and she needs to get better for not only herself. But, for you and your dad.

My heart will ache everyday that I'm away from you and your dad. But, I'm doing this for you. Ben, take care of your father for me and please don't blame him for my choice in leaving you behind. This wasn't his choice to make. Your dad loves you more than you'll ever understand. We fell in love under odd circumstances and it was a whirlwind romance. However, your dad made me open my eyes to so many different things that I didn't know about and he showed me what it truly means to love someone. He is a kind and caring man. And, I don't think I'll ever be loved as much as I was loved by him. I know that I never will be.

Be good to each other. Comfort one another when you're sad and don't ever forget to go to bed without telling each other "I love you."

I'm leaving you with your father because I know deep down in my heart that he's the best person for this job. For the job that I couldn't handle- being a parent.

My sweet and darling little boy. I'm sorry that I didn't stay and that I failed you both. I'm sorry that I couldn't have been more to you and your dad. Son, please remember that wherever I end up that I will carry you and your father in my heart day and night for as long as I shall live. The letters that I'm leaving with your dad won't fill my absence. But, I hope and pray that throughout the years, that my words will ease the pain of me not being around and you'll come to understand why I had to leave.

I love you both so much and I'm sorry for everything. Please, don't you ever think that you did something wrong to push me away. Because, you. Ben, you are the most precious little person in my life. You are my entire world and I love you. I left because I want you to have a happy life and I know that the only person who can provide you with that happiness is your dad.

I will always love you, my sweet angel. But, I can't stay and I am so sorry that I can't.

A/N: Final Thoughts?

Hoping that I didn't make too many of you cry with Elena's letter to Stefan and to Ben or with any of the other moments that happened. And, if I did. I'm sorry for it!

Anyways, I am planning on writing a sequel for this story somewhere in the near future that will be called "Letters To Ben." So, be sure to keep an eye out for it! ;)

Thanks so much for reading and feel free to check out my other stories if you like my writing.

Follow me on twitter at: BePassionate24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 472 20
AU.All Human. RATED: MATURE. Sequel to "Must Love Dogs." Six years after leaving just a letter behind as a goodbye. Elena finally returns t...
1K 16 29
Stefan Salvatore and Elena Gilbert Salvatore finally got married. Though both vampires, Elena and Stefan somehow managed to procreate. They have two...
34.4K 1.1K 46
Now M Rated. A/H. A/U. In the windy city of Chicago. Struggling, Elena Gilbert gets mistakenly identified as missing wealthy socialite, Katherine Sal...
70 0 21
Love. Loss. Lust. Claudia is mired in a vampire world as she clings to her humanity while surrounded by monsters. Her family and friends, everything...