The Black Son

By tabernac_estee

This is a fan fiction based on the comic book Usagi Yojimbo, written by Stan Sakai and all relevant character... More

The Black Son ~ Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue

Chapter 16

3 0 0
By tabernac_estee

Tomoe felt like a fool. Of all the songs under heaven what in the world possessed her to choose something like 'Rain under the full autumn moon'? It had been years since she danced the silly thing. The lords were kind and slowly, methodically, prepared themselves for part to play. That pause naturally gave Tomoe the time needed to reacquaint herself with the steps. The woman twisted her mind left and right, up and down searching for the movements. She found a few, but not all. Gods' protect her. Finally, the lords were ready, even if she wasn't. They began to play. Tomoe flicked open the fan, turned her body and covered her face. She then turned around, lifted her arms and began to sway to the rhythm of the music set down by the lords. The beginning was always the easy part. It was all pantomime and dancing. In her youth she always enjoyed the non-speaking parts of such things. Tomoe had been unsure of the strength of her voice. She was doubly uncertain that evening.

I gave my heart and you did take it.

You held it up for the world to see.

I dance for joy as you held it close

I dropped to my knees as you set it free.

Her voice was very good, all things considered. She wasn't a singer by any stretch of the imagination, but the woman was doing her best and that was enough for the men playing for her. With her initial fears alleviated, her confidence grew with each new verse. And that assurance imbued her body and made her move more suggestively about the room.

You put my heart on display like a trophy.

You set me aside like an empty cup.

I sought you out for an explanation.

And you spurred me like a foolish pup.

Tomoe was becoming bolder with each note and every step. She glided across the floor and moved with great flamboyance. Of course the world beyond wondered just who was singing with the lords. Some recognised the voice, but others wouldn't believe it. Tomoe Ame, singing? Impossible. But she was. An unexpected talent, hidden behind her daisho. Both men could hardly concentrate on their playing, as she was so engaging. The song was thankfully a short one, and she was nearing the end.

I found another who rescued my heart.

He brushed it of and made it his own.

I take him now for my love

And leave you forgotten and alone.

The final few movements Tomoe improvised and whirled about with wild abandon; her hair, which she boasted was the longest in all the Geishu lands, whipped through the air, nearly striking Yasuhira. At last she knelt on the floor in perfect unison with the final note from the players. The men were ecstatic they showered her with applause and appreciative words. Tomoe basked in their recognition, though she wondered if they were simply being kind to a kinsman and host. It didn't matter. She enjoyed the admiration regardless of its motivation. Never in his wildest dreams did Noriyuki consider when the Hikiji had made the first overture to visit his lands that it would somehow include witnessing Tomoe Ame singing and dancing. But there she was, out of breath, showing a bit of sweat and beaming with pride at her accomplishment. She returned to her mat and poured some tea.

"I'm afraid dread lords that is all the entertainment you will get out of me tonight."

Noriyuki laughed.

Yasuhira smiled, "Fair enough, Lady Tomoe," He held up his cup, "You are well and truly the 'flower of the nation'."

Hearing that phrase suddenly darkened Tomoe's mood and she turned a rather menacing eye toward the Hikiji. The look had so taken Yasuhira that he refrained from drinking his own toast. Noriyuki was frozen by the exchange. He wasn't sure what he could say to return the situation to a more equitable standing. Without saying a word Yasuhira put down his cup, shifted his position so he was kneeling before Tomoe and bowed solemnly.

"Forgive me, my lady. I meant no disrespect."

Tomoe's emotions had got the better of her. No doubt they had been inflamed by her performance. Now she had gone too far. She bowed to her guest.

"I must be the one to beg forgiveness, my lord, my behaviour was unseemly."

"Let us put it all out of our minds and merely reflect on your wonderful performance."

Tomoe only nodded.

Noriyuki was relieved. Though he knew that it would take more than one angry look to get a rise out of a man like Yasuhira. He never realised just how much Tomoe loathed the name some of the other lords had given her. Was it such an insult to be spoken of in such a familiar way? Noriyuki didn't want to press this issue. It was far too late for quarrelling. They had played as much as their spirits could handle. Now they simply conversed with one another. The young lord was never so open in the company of strangers. Ever since he came of age to rule the Geishu he was instructed never to show any emotion or display any sign of weakness. But the longer he remained in the Hikiji's presence the more he spoke of his heart. Yasuhira was enamoured by the Geishu lord. He was sure they would become fast friends. As for Tomoe, he was realising all too clearly that she would not be an easy blossom to pick.

"Do you think the Shogun's peace will hold, Yuki?"

He shrugged, "Everything depends on the will of the other Daimyo. If they start warring again, I'm sure the Shogun will intercede, but if it happens enough times..." He shrugged again.

"I've heard you are close to the Shogun."

"Close enough to understand that his peace, no matter how fragile or tarnished it may be is better than war. So I will support him for my own sake."

"Very wise policy," He shifted his position, "The Shogun is a strange man."

"How so, Yasu?"

Taking a breath, "He struggled so mightily to become Shogun only to keep in place the many edicts that his predecessor had set in place," He shook his head, "I wished that he loosened the more restrictive aspects of Toyotomi's decrees."

"Such as...?"

"Hideyoshi made it a social taboo for a samurai to become anything other than a samurai. Only now with Ieyasu's peace, the nation is rotten with Ronin. But they can't be anything else. They can't buy land or own a shop. These men are doomed to wander."

Tomoe was taken aback by his words, "But they are bound also by Bushido."

"But can't a man be honourable while working the land? Can he not be true to the code as he labours in a business of his own making?"

Tomoe struggled to answer without being curt.

He shifted position again, "There was a time in this country that a samurai could do just that without dishonour. That's all changed and I fear what that will mean for our country's future," He turned to Yuki, "And that is the one mitigating factor that keeps Japan stagnant and backward."

Of course Noriyuki had heard Yasuhira speak like that before on their first meeting and so was not that surprised he'd venture again into such forbidden areas of conversation. Noriyuki also noticed how Tomoe was bristling with every word he spoke. He wondered how she would respond to his unorthodox ideas.

"Moreover, we teach our men that being a warrior is the noblest endeavour in our society and then we remove war from society. Leaving them with no way to express themselves or simply make a living. Quite the paradox don't you think?"

Tomoe retreated slightly, "Your words are...sobering, Yasuhira."

"A further quandary is, why bother to teach your son to be a samurai anyway?"

That put her back up immediately, "Because it is the highest form of manhood."

"Fair enough, but think about this, Tomoe. Suppose he doesn't get accepted as a retainer? As Yuki can attest, I'm sure, samurai are an expense," Noriyuki nodded in agreement, "They don't weave and they don't sow, thus keeping a large retinue of idle men tends to drain the coffers. One must be pragmatic. What happens to your son when he's turned out because he's one mouth to feed too many?" Tomoe retreated once more, "You have condemned him to being cast out onto the waves. All that potential is lost forever."

Tomoe looked away from the man, "It is the burden hardest to bear."

Yasu suddenly became more animated, "That's what troubles me the most about the situation in this country. The word 'obligation' has become less of a virtue and more of a justification for keeping the power in the hands of one man like the Shogun," He looked directly at Tomoe, "He's taken the soul from your sword, Tomoe and put it in his purse."

The woman moved with the same speed that she had that afternoon 'duelling' with Horikawa. She jumped to one knee, took up her sword and put her hand on the hilt. But then thankfully she stopped short before drawing the blade. Noriyuki hadn't moved. He had no idea where Yasu was going with his little digression, but he could see it was vexing Tomoe to no end. When she moved to strike, he would have allowed her to follow through, as Yasu had gone too far. And of course the Geishu would have paid the ultimate price for their adherence to the Bushido code. For his part, Yasuhira hadn't moved a muscle. He was prepared to accept Tomoe's strike if she felt it necessary. Thankfully she didn't. He went too far. He had forgotten with whom he was speaking with. Tomoe wasn't some foolish sycophant like Horikawa or a learned and patient Daimyo like Yuki. And she was sober, unlike Yasu, much to his chagrin. The man took a well-needed breath. Tomoe stood up, still holding her sword and bowed to both men.

"The hour is late, my lords and I have duties to perform in the morning. So I must take my leave of you."

Noriyuki nodded his consent and Tomoe quickly turned, and departed. The men could hear her heavy footfalls even out in the hall. For a moment there wasn't anything passed between the two men, neither a word spoken nor a glance was given. Yasuhira looked at Tomoe's teacup and noticed the stain of her red lip powder on the edge. He wanted to touch it, but held back.

"My sincerest apologies, Yuki. Call it an affliction of mixing too much drink and philosophy."

He continued to be silent.

Yasu sighed, "I always go too far."

"So I've noticed. You would have made quite the mess if she had done the same."

He laughed, "I'll make amends with her tomorrow. It's been a long day."

"I don't think she'll hold a grudge for very long, Yasu."

"I certainly hope not," He took another breath, "Seeing as our flower has very sharp thorns."

Both men laughed together on that very obvious fact.

Noriyuki became solemn, "Yasu, if you ever wish to be an effective Daimyo you have to learn to think before you speak," He leaned toward the man, "Right now, we are speaking like brothers but that doesn't mean we are. And I have seen many brothers kill each other for whatever reason," He shook his head, "A quarrel, a misunderstanding, petty jealousy, or simple hatred."

"I have seen that too. Happens far too often in our country."

Noriyuki's frustration grew, "What I have learned about our country, Yasu," His tone was harsh, "Is that we're all quick to draw our swords against one another. Brother against brother," He paused and looked right at Yasu, "Father against son," Yasu drew back, "There is no relationship immune from humane nature."

The words were having an effect, "Yes, I know." He covered his eyes.

"You can't expect people to believe the same way you do or give you the benefit of the doubt simply because you are of noble birth. Someone is bound to be offended and they may not have the good sense or perhaps good manners, as Tomoe had, not to cut your head off," Noriyuki paused to collect his thoughts, "Bushido is Bushido, but it offers little protection against the capricious wants and ambitions of men."

Yasuhira was impressed. The young lord's words were heartfelt and wise. He felt their sincerity. The pointed phrase about fathers slaying sons wasn't lost on him either. Yasuhira understood that danger all too well. Of course now he wondered just what Noriyuki wasn't telling him, if he took such pains to warn him about the Shadow Lord. He could not bring himself to ask; it was too much. The hour was late and to press the issue would be an effort of futility. Best to leave it for another time. Gods willing there came such a time.

Yasu bowed to his host, "I am grateful for your words. They are wise indeed and spoken in true sincerity. They honour me." He bowed deeper.

Noriyuki had nothing more to say. His words had dried up.

"It is time, I think, for us to adjourn for the night."

"A fine idea, Lord Yasuhira."

"Until tomorrow, Lord Noriyuki."

Quickly the Hikiji rose to his feet and made his way to the door. Noriyuki called him back.

"Yasu."

He turned, "Yuki?"

Noriyuki held up Yasu's flute. The man returned to his knees, bowed and took the instrument as if it were a sword. Bowing again, he departed. Noriyuki waited until his footfalls had vanished before leaving through a side entrance. There was still one more thing for him to do before he could sleep.

Tomoe's servants didn't know what to do. Their mistress burst into her chambers like a hurricane. She threw her clothes into a heap on the floor. She paced so violently and quickly that her maids were unable to gather up the clothes. The woman was muttering the strangest things, such as 'the nerve of him', 'what kind of man thinks like that?', 'how stupid I was to be taken by such a man'. Nothing made sense and her temper frightened the girls so much that they decided to simply keep away from their mistress until she calls for them or finally goes to sleep. It was so late to begin with that they hope the latter would come soon, so they could all get some rest. They were so weary that they hadn't noticed the door to their quarters had opened and a man passed through.

"Is your mistress still awake?"

The girls turned and then dropped to the floor. One girl fell too quickly and her forehead bounced off the wood.

"Yes, Tono. And she seems out of sorts about something."

He walked passed them, "It is of no concern."

They dropped again, "Of course, Tono. We see and hear nothing."

Noriyuki entered as silently as he could, but he didn't need to be so cautious. The woman was so livid that she'd be hard pressed to hear a thunderstorm outside. Noriyuki watched her for a moment and tried to think of a way to calm her down. Nothing came to mind. He'd have to play it by ear, as they say.

"Tomoe."

She stopped, turned violently and was about to tear a strip of the person who dared interrupt her tantrum, when as could be expected she locked eyes with her lord. Tomoe started and then dropped to her knees; she lowered her head, but it wasn't out of supplication to her master, but more like embarrassment that he had seen her in such a state. Noriyuki moved toward the window and looked out to the courtyard. All was still. Even the guards had taken refuge in the quiet shadows of the high walls.

"Lord Yasuhira sends his apologies for his behaviour. Too much sake and philosophy was his excuse."

She turned away.

He shook his head, "I don't know where he gets such ideas, but he said much the same thing last night, which irritated Horikawa to no end."

Tomoe was doubly embarrassed, seeing as she reacted the same way as that fool Horikawa did. She wanted the Hikiji simply to be gone or war be declared at last.

"Of course that annoyance didn't stop him from venturing to meet with Yasuhira when the night had ended," He smiled, "From what I've been told he made it as far as Yasu's door, but then retreated."

Noriyuki's tale did not soothe Tomoe's feelings in any way. Yasu's words had effected her more than she realised. They had burrowed themselves deep under her skin.

"Am I such a prize, Noriyuki?"

He didn't move, "You are exceptional, especially for a woman. That makes certain men covet you."

"Is Yasuhira such a man?"

Now he looked at her, "No. Yasu is exceptional himself. He sees people as they are, unfettered by jealousy. Unfortunately, as I told him just after you left, that disposition doesn't make him very...diplomatic." He smiled, but only to himself.

"The trouble is, Tono, he was right."

Noriyuki turned and noticed she was looking at him with eyes full of tears. He sat down in front of Tomoe. He had never seen the woman in such a strait before; it was as if she were on the verge of coming apart at the seams.

"I've thought about what it means to be a samurai in today's world. And I've wondered what would become of me if I were turned out," Noriyuki moved to speak, but she stopped him with a hand, "What do I do then? Especially as I'm a woman. I look at Usagi and his existence and it fills me with dread."

Tomoe tried to rub the tears from her eyes, but it didn't help. Her skin was moistening and her voice trembled.

"Oh he still behaves like an honourable samurai, and he's always quick to do the right thing. But I can't help but see another side to his efforts. If he does help then he may get a roof and a meal, at least for a day," She moved toward her lord, "He does it to allay the boredom of a life adrift. He does it to ease the loneliness of his life. And that is what frightens me the most, Noriyuki," She reached out to him, "The loneliness. I couldn't bare to be alone," She retreated, "I'd endure any hardship or trial, even an abusive husband," Noriyuki bristled, "I'd even give up my soul," She passed a hand over her sword, "If that meant I'd never be alone."

Noriyuki had never heard so much heartfelt words spoken by anyone. He didn't know what to say in response. She was Tomoe Ame. She was his most trusted advisor and greatest warrior. She was his friend.

"You are not alone."

She sank.

Tono lifted her up gently at the shoulders, "You are no flower, Tomoe. You are a rock. You are my rock. Without you I would be lost and adrift worse than any Ronin."

"But you are the lord and I am nothing."

He grabbed her violently by the shoulders, "You are Tomoe Ame. There is nothing more to say than that."

"I am so tired."

Noriyuki shut his eyes and let her go.

"It's been two days but it feels like a year."

"And all we've shared are two meals, a walk in the fields and some minor entertainment."

She scoffed, "And there are at least two days left, maybe more. I can't begin to imagine what fresh hell the future will bring."

"We are in the hands of the gods."

She shut her eyes tightly, "I take no comfort in that, Noriyuki," She bowed, "I'm sorry but I don't."

"Neither do I, my dear."

Noriyuki remained with Tomoe for a little while longer. They never spoke. And Tomoe seemed to regain some of her composure. He put her to bed and then retired. He noticed that Tomoe's maids had fallen asleep in that time too. He leaned in close to make certain they were truly asleep and not pretending. All seemed well. The last thing he needed was silly servant's gossip about his trusted friend. Though he wished maybe they would speak out of turn. For that affront he would be especially malicious, to teach everyone just who commands the Geishu. The walk back to his apartments was long, but uneventful. Noriyuki slept like the dead.

The Lord's audience chamber had been the last corner of the castle to be lit and when that went out the stillness of the night finally filled the grounds. Yasuhira felt compelled to look at it before going to sleep. He didn't retire to his own quarters. He ventured into Akako's rooms and found her sleeping so soundly that he didn't need his Ninja skills to hide his approach. She was such a lovely child. And that was a truth he could no longer deny; Akako was a child. She had the needs of a child. But he knew the only way to keep her safe was to get her as far away from the Hikiji as possible. At least until he finally became lord. On that day all would be well. Yasuhira's spirit sank. Of course that meant his father's death. Noriyuki's warning troubled his mind. He found it difficult to rid himself of it. How long had it been since he returned from his wanderings, one month, less? And already the conspiracies were ripening around him. And not simply from the mortal world, even the gods were desirous to see him fall. Was he that much of a threat to the world? Did he ask too much of it? Perhaps peace and contentment are too much to ask for in such a world. He looked down at Akako. In her he saw both of those virtues. In her he saw his future. In her he saw his entire life. He would fall asleep watching her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.9K 563 29
You can't run forever.
73.1K 2.7K 20
If you are a fan of Honami Ichinose, this fiction is definitely for you. It's a collection of short stories about Honami Ichinose.
22K 595 6
It's a fan fiction on a serial Shaurya aur Anoki ki kahani ....