Cool Mom

Oleh me_Tehreem

Emma, Daniel and Hazel are The Aarons. They have everything one could dream of: money, family and love. But e... Lebih Banyak

1: Valentine's Day
2: Packing
3: Paris!
4: Sausages
5: Eiffel Tower
6: Souvenirs
7: Morning
8: Shopping
9: Date Night
10: Disneyland
11: Sick Hazel
12: Tess's call
13: Phil
14: Last Day
15: Back Home
16: Normal Day
17: Morgan's Birthday
18: Brother's Teasing
19: Picnic
20: Dinner With Friends
21: Parents Arrive
22: Dinner With Parents
23: I'll Never Forget You
24: Baby
25: Mom Knows All
26: Date At Meeting
27: Tess's Past
28: School Visit
29: Swimming Contest
30: Amusement Park
31: Job Offer
32: Spa Day
33: Aftermath
34: Night Talk
35: Some Quite
36: Cake For Hazel
37: Annual Dinner
38: Taken
39: Tense Night
40: Hazel's Return
41: Reassurance
42: The Police Calls
43: Office Visit
44: Conflict
45: Court Day
46: Decision
47: Night After
48: Second Contest
49: Mia
50: Long Night
51: Maui
52: Beach Day
53: Helicopter Ride!
54: Memories
55: Important Talk
56: Hazel's School
57: Orientation
58: First Day Of School
59: McDonald's Picnic
60: Hospital
61: Revelation
62: The Diagnosis
63: Sickness And Health
64: Miami
65: Meeting In Miami
66: Late Night Pharmacy Run
67: Second Time
68: Big Girl
69: Tess Arrives
70: Hazel's Birthday
71: A Fright
72: Pizza Hut
73: Dire News
74: Direr News
75: Visitors
76: Another Visitor
77: Emma Steps In
78: Office Day
79: Hazel's PTM
80: Christmas Day
81: Daniel's Home
83: Girl Or Boy?
84: Big Sister
85: Carnival
86: Swimming Championship
87: Relay Championship
88: Hair Day
89: Delivery Operation
90: Sebastian Aaron
91: Sebastian's Home
92: Under 10s Nationals
93: Toulouse
94: Graduation Day
95: The H. Program
96: Official Portrait
97: Bern
98: Dress Fittings
99: Tess's Wedding
100: Epilogue
Author's Note
Sequel Is Up!

82: New Year's Party

999 31 3
Oleh me_Tehreem

My choice of dresses for the New Year's party at the Aaron Limited offices is quite restricted since my growing belly refuses to fit into most of my old dresses. I finally decide on a knee length blue dress which fits and compliments my pregnant body.

I instruct Zenna Hodge, my stylist of choice ever since the gala to announce the Paris plans, that I want my hair in a bun at the nape of my neck. While she works on my hair, I think of what shoes and purse I'm going to carry. Once she's done, we move on to make up and an hour later Zenna sees herself out as I put on my heels and slip my phone into my purse.

Hazel is going to the party with us since it is New Year's Eve and we didn't want her to stay in alone. I find her in the living room, dressed in a blue dress which is appropriate for the occasion yet comfortable enough to sleep in if she decides to doze off in Daniel's office. I note that her dress is blue too!

"We're matching Bunny! Come on, let's take a picture!" I sit down on the bottom stair and she comes to stand by me as a helper takes my phone and takes our picture.

"One more please." Daniel says from the top of the stairs and comes down to sit on the other side of Hazel.

"This is beautiful! And, oh! Daniel, you're wearing a blue tie!" I exclaim looking at the picture.

"I might have peeked in to check the color of your dress while you were getting ready." Daniel kisses my cheek, "By the way you look beautiful."

"Thank you." I smile at him before standing up as Daniel starts to lead Hazel out of the house.

On our way to the offices I coach Hazel to say hello to everyone and be nice to any children who are accompanying their parents. I also instruct her to stay in mine or Daniel's sight at all times.

We arrive to the party at eight which is an hour after the official start time of the party. But Jeremy had asked us to take our time, so we did.

Since today is Daniel's first day back here, everyone is eager to meet him. While he says hello to everyone in the parking, I take Hazel's hand and lead her towards the entrance. The party is on the roof which can only be accessed by special elevators.

People say hello to me as we wait for an empty elevator and some even congratulate me on saving the company's repute. I feel shy at all the attention but thankfully an elevator arrives.

Hazel, I and some more people who I didn't get a chance to meet in my two short weeks here, ride to the roof together. When I step out, the party arrangements are breathtaking. With the fairy lights, screens running the countdown till midnight, waiters carrying snacks and refreshments around and of course, a dance floor. Jeremy outdid himself.

"You're here!" Jeremy appears in front of me.

"The party looks amazing. Daniel will be pleased." I tell him.

"I had fun planning it. How are you Hazel?" Jeremy asks bending down to give her a hug.

"Good Jemmy." She replies. Ever since she stared speaking she has called him Jemmy.

"Wow!" Daniel says from behind me.

"It's your welcome back to work party. It was meant to be 'wow.'" Jeremy teases.

At the same moment Hazel starts tugging my hand so I look down at her to find her pointing at one of the food tables which has cake.

"Let's go meet everyone." Jeremy says to Daniel.

"Coming?" Daniel looks at me.

"You two go ahead. I'll get Hazel cake and then catch up." I tell them and we part ways. I beeline towards the food table which is just a few steps away but it takes me a good ten minutes to get to it since people keep stopping me to say hello and to congratulate me.

Hazel is cranky by the time I grab a plate and she says, "Now I get a bigger slice."

I laugh at the mixture of pout and frown on her face before increasing the size of the cake slice and place it on her plate. I hand it to her and then grab a fork and glass of water before guiding her to empty chairs.

I sit with her while she eats but I don't get a chance to take in the party since people keep approaching. By the time Daniel finds me, he has met everyone and Hazel is on her second slice of cake.

Daniel takes the extra fork that I have in my hand and steals a bite from Hazel's plate who jokingly complains but lets him share the cake with her.

"Is it bad that I remember meeting many of the people who have come up to me but don't remember their names?" I ask him as he sits down next to me.

"If it's any comfort, I've been gone for a month and I can't recall names of people who have worked with me for over a year now." He tells me.

"Poor baby." I laugh at him as Hazel says, "I'm full!"

I glance at her to find her plate empty. "Of course you're full after eating all that cake!" I laugh.

"And I know just the remedy." Daniel says, standing up and holding out a hand to Hazel, "Come on, let's dance."

Beaming, Hazel hands me the plate and takes Daniel hand. I watch them walk towards the dance floor but soon the crowd swallows them and they're gone from my sight.

I hand the plate to a waiter passing by and start towards the dance floor to find them. But Jeremy finds me before I can get to them.

"Emma!" He calls out from behind me.

I stop and wait for him to catch up. "What's up?"

"I need you to make a speech." He says.

"A speech?" I ask, confused.

"Yes. You are still the head of Aaron Limited and the speech will act as an official passover of authority back to Daniel." He explains.

I think it over for a second before asking, "Is there anything specific that you need me to say?"

He shakes his head, "No, you're a natural with speeches."

"Okay, just give me a few minutes to gather my thoughts and then I'll come find you." I tell him.

"Perfect. I've already explained this to Daniel. Let me know when you're ready." He says before walking away.

A quiet corner is hard to find but I spot an empty row of chairs on the opposite end of the roof from the elevators and dance floor. I sit down and survey the party. An outline of the speech begins to form in my mind and once I'm satisfied with my thoughts, I get up to find Jeremy.

This time I find Daniel and Hazel first.

"I was looking for Jeremy." I tell him.

"Ready to make the speech?" Jeremy's voice asks from behind me.

I turn around to face him and nod.

Daniel takes my hand and leads me towards a dais that must have been built for the purpose of my speech. Hazel stands to one side with Jeremy as I'm handed a microphone. Daniel gives my hand a little squeeze.

"Can I have your attention please?" I say.

The music and chatter dies down and I wait for a second before continuing.

"Welcome to Aaron Limited's New Year's party. I hope you all are enjoying yourself." This is answered with cheers and claps. "Well, I'm glad that you are."

"As you know, I stepped in as head of Aaron Limited until Daniel had recovered from his illness. And now with great joy, I can announce that tonight I hand back the reins to the real leader, Daniel Aaron."

I step back and hand the microphone to Daniel, who takes the mic in one hand and with the other catches my hand before I step away.

"I have been warmly welcomed back by all of you. I'm happy that you didn't start a petition to have Emma permanently replace me." This earns a laugh from the crowd and Daniel continues, "I feel honored to have you all working by my side and I cannot wait for us to discover what the next year has in store for us. Now, please enjoy the rest of the night."

The crowd disperses and we walk to Jeremy and Hazel.

"Wonderfully done!" Jeremy says and then leaves to check that the fireworks are ready for midnight.

I look at Hazel to catch her stifling a yawn.

"Tired?" I ask her and she nods.

"I'm going to take her to your office." I tell Daniel and we part ways once more.

I lead Hazel to the elevators and we ride down to the lobby from where we take the elevator which runs access to the rest of the building floors.

When we get to Daniel's office, Hazel takes off her shoes and flops onto one of the sofas that form the sitting area in the room. I sit down with her only to find my back and legs cry with relief. I take off my shoes and tuck in my legs under me. I hadn't realized how exhausted I was from the pregnancy and walking around in heels.

I take a call from mom during which Hazel falls asleep. I've just set down my phone when the office's door opens and Daniel steps in.

"Sorry I was gone so long. My back was beginning to hurt." I tell him as he sits down on the arm of the sofa, next to me.

"It's just 10:30, there's still time till midnight. You can get some sleep, if you want." Daniel says, rubbing my back.

I shake my head at this, "No, I just needed to rest. I'm fine now." And it's the truth, the thirty minute break has done wonders.

"I have a pair of flats in the car. Can you please get them for me?" I ask him and he immediately leaves to fetch them.

He returns ten minutes later with my shoes. I slip on my flats and then take his hand before leaving the office. Two female guards sit in the lobby and Daniel tells me that they'll watch over Hazel for us and let us know if she needs anything.

When we get back to the roof, there's a cool breeze blowing, so I button up my coat before following Daniel to one of the refreshments table.

I help myself to shrimps and a mini burger before deeming my hunger satisfied. The official photographer asks for a picture of us for tomorrow's newspapers which we oblige to.

Midnight finds Daniel and me resting our feet in the seats where I sat down to think over the speech. The row of chairs is still empty as everyone is gathered around the biggest screen which is counting down the last few minutes of 2019.

"This year was quite eventful." Daniel notes out loud.

"It was." I nod and rest my head on his shoulder.

"It's safe to say it was quite crazy." He says, making me laugh and I agree, "It definitely was."

Everyone starts to count down the last twenty seconds and when the date changes to 2020, the fireworks startle me and I burst out laughing but I accept Daniel's kiss as we welcome the new year.

The story has officially entered 2020! Four months left for us :)

-T

I am dedicating this chapter to AmandaVollertsen for being one of the bravest people I know ❤️

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

275K 7.5K 30
Mason Harris, 29 and the youngest of three brothers to run his fathers company. His father owns 32 Hotels around the U.S and Mason is the CEO. The la...
248K 9.9K 86
[Book 1&2]. Emma's life was never a peachy one, she had to fight for every last thing she's got. Her indifferent father and broken marriage did noth...
19.1K 805 51
Sequel to Cool Mom. Hazel Aaron will be a High School Senior once summer break ends. But this summer break and senior year will be one for the books...
207K 8.8K 40
Single Mother Emma Swan (32) needs to start over after her baby daddy leaves her. Emma takes the Promotion she has been waiting for. Though it was fa...