The Fractured Holder [Pokémon...

By ImberLapis

There exists a power that has dwelled in the land of Hyrule for countless millennia. It is the power that hel... More

Disclaimer
00| Reversion
01| Looks Do Deceive
02| Turned Tables
03| Shackled with Another
04| The Holders
05| Correction
06| Kokiri Glade
07| The Overseer and the Overseen
08| Course of Action
09| Fractured Courage
10| A Tenuous Agreement
11| Southern Swamps
12| Loyalty of the Deku
13| The Price of Divinity
15| Misplaced Sentiments
16| Admittance
17| Tales of Beasts and Solemn Sands
18| Awash and Overboard
19| Shifting Tides
20| Notes of Wisdom
21| Cracks
22| The In-Between
23| Ascending Descent
24| Of A Feather
25| Village of Red Eyes
26| A Will of Iron
27| Winds from the West
28| Tell-All
29| Fear and Resolve
30| Trust
31| Wayfinding
32| Prelude of Light
33| The Eldin Highlands
34| Doubts of Loyalty
35| Nocturne of Shadow
36| Gerudo Fortress
37| Into the Desert
38| The Healer
39| Arbiter
40| Dark Before the Dawn
41| Strains of Empathy
42| Last Threads
43| Revelation
44| The Dawn Before Dusk
45| The Holder of Courage
46| Hyrule Castle
47| From Another World
48| Clash of the Holders
49| The King of Hyrule
50| A Wish for the Future
End| Renew
Glossary
Acknowledgments

14| Fortitude

163 11 31
By ImberLapis

The temple's darkness didn't last for long, to Zelda's relief. Previously unseen torches sprung to life with green flame, dyeing the stone walls with blue-green light. The group had entered a moderately-sized hallway that stretched a small distance. It looked undisturbed, save for the occasional root that had managed to tunnel its way through the cracks in the stone.

   More carvings adorned the walls; the one on the wall to Zelda's immediate right was of an elegant-looking quadruped creature with horns that stuck out straight on both sides of its head. These carvings continued on both sides down the hall's length. At the end of the hall was another sealed door, though Zelda couldn't make out if anything was carved on it. She was instantly entranced by these images, her eyes endlessly tracing the lines of the beautiful craftsmanship.

   There's no need to carry on, Resa said, snapping Zelda back to attention. The Aegislash's flickering yellow Triforce mark contrasted brightly with the emerald surroundings. We will be safe here for now.

   Thank Hylia, Fira sighed as he lowered the still-unconscious Link to the floor. Luce was instantly at his side, sitting with his head in her lap and her arm wrapped around him protectively. Fira's gaze lingered on the pair, and Zelda grew curious.

   Everything okay? she asked.

   Fira glanced at her. Do you mind if I attend to him? he asked. It seems that Luce is worried. But only if you're okay. You're fine, right?

   "I'm fine," Zelda said. "You can help him." Fira nodded and joined Luce. Zelda spared Link a glance. His face was blank, but in a calm sense. It was like looking at the ocean's surface after a storm's winds and rains had churned it, definitely an odd sight to behold. If only it was like that more often, without its seemingly-permanent scowl.

   Don't hold him up like that, you need to lay him out flat...

   Zelda let Fira's advice trail off as she looked to Resa, who was watching the other Pokémon with what seemed like intense thought. "This was from overusing Courage, right? Will he be okay?" Zelda asked.

   Yes, though it might take a while for him to awaken. He's healthy, and he has a fiery spirit. Resa turned to face the Hylian woman. You're fortunate to be the same way.

   "I still feel really shaky though," Zelda said with a sigh, taking a seat on the floor as well. If she could have it her way, she would fall asleep right then. But she couldn't.

   Rightfully so, Resa agreed. It seems that you draw too much on your own energy to fuel Wisdom.

   "Is that so?" Zelda's heart sank. She couldn't have that, not if she wanted to truly be the Holder of Wisdom. "But thank you for asking."

    There is no need for thanks. Resa cast Link another glance. Once Courage reawakens, we'll need to make our way to the end of the hall. It is there that Overseer Virizion will speak with us. After proving our authenticity, we will be able to enter her chamber.

   "Speaking of entering, what was that odd dance?" Resa seemed confused at Zelda's question. "What you did to open the temple doors," Zelda clarified. They had a moment of respite, so she might as well ask.

   That was a move that has existed since the inception of Farore's Watchers, and even before that, Resa answered. There are four that open the Overseers' temples. Only the Overseers and the goddesses themselves are aware of them, so it has never been recorded in any book.

Zelda was, of course, intrigued. "The goddesses devised these moves?"

   Resa crossed her sashes. I'm... not quite sure, actually. I was never informed. The steps to perform them were already in my consciousness when I became Overseer. Though, the Great Deku Tree has said that I've done the greatest job of performing them out of the previous Overseers. I suppose it's because dancing is, or was, in my blood.

   With how connected she was to her current role, Zelda was surprised to hear Resa bring up something like that. "You danced?"

   Resa looked at her. Why do you care? That isn't related to the mission.

   "Because I'm interested," Zelda replied. "What's wrong with wanting to know?"

   It might cause a distraction.

   Zelda raised an eyebrow. "What is there to distract us right now?"

   Resa hesitated. But we should be concerned about the mission.

   "We can be, but there really isn't anything we can do until Link wakes up, and Fira's pretty well-versed in medical treatments," Zelda said. It also seemed to be his one interest as well, since it was the only thing he would ever talk about besides her well-being.

   It still doesn't feel right though... Resa said quietly.

   Zelda was somewhat baffled by this. Until then, she hadn't realized just how focused Resa had been on their quest. It was to the point that outside of the personality she normally displayed, Zelda didn't know a thing about her. "I'd really like to know about your dancing. I mean, it's sort of related to the mission."

   You're right, I suppose, Resa sighed. So... when I was alive and in my youth, I was revered as a great dancer amongst my peers. And when I was older, I shared my love for dancing with my family, though they didn't seem to appreciate it as much. Zelda could actually detect levity in her voice before it devolved back into its usual coldness. Is that enough?

   It was like she was asking permission. "Is that all you want to say?" Zelda replied.

    I... N-no, it isn't, Resa said, surprised. When Zelda didn't object, she continued. But even while in a new body, those instincts for rhythm have stayed with me. Sometimes I could hear music drifting from the glade... How I've longed to dance properly again, with my old legs, she said wistfully.

   "You still did a great job with that move now, even without legs," Zelda said. "Could you maybe teach it to me? Or just dancing in general?" She was a horrendous dancer, she could admit. Perhaps she would have been better if she'd paid attention to her mother's lessons, but she found reading more important than dancing at some party.

   The air around Resa seemed to brighten then, or was it just Zelda's imagination? Thank you. And thank you for asking me that in the first place. Since I became Overseer, that's all I feel I am, not what came before it. I never thought that someone would care about something besides what I offer as Overseer. She hesitated for a moment, looking away. And if we have time... perhaps I could teach you. She looked back at Zelda. Only if we have time, however.

   Zelda smiled. "Of course."

   After that, they fell into a surprisingly comfortable silence. Zelda felt a bit bad for faulting Resa for putting so much weight on her position. After all, this mission was important to her as well, as it was her one chance to help Hyrule. She could admit that she was just as rash as Link with her words.

   Something she wouldn't admit, however, was that she really had no idea of what she planned on doing after she left home. She never had one at all. She had just been too preoccupied with getting out of there in the first place, and it wasn't like she had any remarkable skills besides her archery and knowledge on mythology. Luckily, fate had noticed her before she had noticed her lack of foresight. She'd never tell that to anyone though, least of all a certain blonde Hylian who would happily rub it in her face if she were to let it slip.

That was the main thing about him she didn't understand. Why did he have to always be so blunt and rude, always have to yell? What did he have to gain from knowing he was right? It was more than preserving that ridiculous sense of pride of his, it was like he didn't know how to be nice about anything. It made Zelda want to ignore him more times than not because of that. Except he clearly could be nice because of how he acted around Luce, and Zelda could appreciate that, so what was the true issue?

   He's awake. Fira's statement along with a relieved bark from Luce drew Zelda and Resa's attention to Link. His eyes were now open, though they were hazy and half-lidded. Zelda watched as his gaze flitted about for a few seconds before he draped an arm across his face, wincing as he did.

   "I'm sayin' this to everyone. The next time I'm 'bout to pass out... don't let me," he tried to growl, but it came out as more of a groan. Zelda sighed. He always had to act so tough.

   "Welcome back," she said. Link moved his arm so he could frown at her. "And before you ask, we're in the temple."

   Link slowly sat up, supported by Luce. "Figures," he muttered. "But what the hell happened? I know I used Courage, but then I went and passed out again. Damn magic, I feel like Tauros-shit. My head's poundin'... "

   As a consolation, you should recover quickly, Resa said. Luce barked something at Link, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly. He muttered something to her, and she smiled.

   Zelda heard Fira scoff. I don't know how she puts up with him.

   The same reason why I can put up with you, she joked.

   Fira's mouth dropped open in alarm, and he turned to face her. You surely don't mean that, my lady? He clenched his paws to his chest. What have I done wrong?

   Nothing! It's fine, Zelda said apologetically. Fira let out a small sigh at that. Are you feeling okay though?

   My health doesn't matter as much as yours, Fira said.

   Zelda held back another sigh. Just tell me if you're actually okay, please.

   Fira's gaze nervously flickered about before he answered. I-if you truly wish to know, I'm exhausted. His eyes then widened. But I'll keep going for you, my lady, he said more quickly.

   You don't... Fine. Just don't hurt yourself. She didn't know what else she could say when Fira would simply deny it. She truly wished that he wasn't so one-track in his thoughts.

   A few minutes later, Link pushed himself to his feet, leaning his back against the wall for support. "No, I won't stay down," he said. "I'll really be fine once we get outta here. I don't like how we're locked in." He bristled when he said that, his teeth gritting in discomfort. Zelda had to agree with him there.

   Then let us proceed, Resa said.

   As they walked down the hall, Zelda's attention was again drawn to the wall carvings. Every few feet they changed, showing a new scene that obviously told a story. The elegant quadruped standing with four other figures, a female humanoid extending a radiant hand to the creature, it walking through a tree-choked swamp, and ending with the creature standing within an outline of the temple.

   They then reached the end of the hall. Zelda could now see that there was something inscribed on the door. It was another set of ancient Hylian glyphs, carved quite large. Zelda wished she knew what they said.

   Halt.

   A female voice echoed in Zelda's mind, sophisticated and smooth like Resa's. Everyone stiffened, all except Resa.

   Greetings, Overseer Virizion, Resa announced. I am Overseer Resa, and I have come with the Holders of Wisdom and Courage.

   Overseer Resa? Virizion questioned. Hm. The fact that you can hear me is proof that you hold the shard of Courage. As for these apparent Holders, they must be tested to prove their authenticity. She then spoke more loudly. Holders of Wisdom and Courage, you stand in the temple of Overseer Virizion.

   "Really? I couldn't guess," Link hissed. Zelda had to resist jabbing him with her elbow.

   As an Overseer of the Swords of Justice, I was instructed to create a trial to test the Holders' authenticity, Virizion continued. The goddess Farore provided me sanctum in her land. As such, you will be faced with a trial of fortitude. Zelda's heart fluttered with worry at that. Fortitude, so courage? Are you prepared?

   "Wait, we have no time to prepare for this?" Zelda objected.

   You are never truly prepared for any situation, Virizion said. Now answer.

   Link nodded. "Of course," he said with a smirk. Zelda wished she could have some of his bravery. Her brother and sister used to tease her about her skittishness when she was younger, and she always tried to prove them wrong. Now it seemed like she would have to prove them wrong for the sake of the kingdom.

   "Y-yes," she said. Already she was wavering, and she winced.

   Then let us begin. I hope you emerge victorious.

   The glyphs on the door became alight with a pale gold radiance. Zelda's gaze was instinctively drawn to them. When she looked upon them. the vision in her peripheries began to darken until it was swallowed by blackness. This blackness spread, enveloping everything save for the glyphs. Zelda then felt weightless, like she was in a void that only encompassed herself and the light before her.

   Zelda tried to move or speak, but nothing would happen. Fear began to well up in her, quickening her heartbeat. She then felt Nayru's essence flowing through her, and her Triforce marking reacted. Golden light of her own joined the lettering's, and it was then that they burst into pure white. Zelda closed her eyes out of reflex.

   "Zellie!"

   Zelda's eyes snapped open, and they widened when she found herself in a familiar place: a large flower field. She knew this field, the yellow and white bursts of color and scents of poppies tickling her nose brought back pleasant memories. To her left up a hill was an impressive, almost regal-looking home, and beyond it windmills could be seen. She was back home in Hateno Village.

   "Are you listening?"

   She jolted when a hand tugged at her sleeve, and she turned around to see a young boy maybe twelve years old with blonde hair and green eyes like hers. Joy filled her when her eyes graced the innocent face of her brother Cassien.

   "Why did you leave, Zellie?" he asked.

   Zelda's smile faded. "Pardon?"

   Cassien didn't clarify. "Why did you leave, Zellie?" The same question in the exact same tone. "I thought you had to marry Ewan."

   Zelda frowned, the pleasantness souring. "I-I did, but—"

   "Why did you leave, Zellie?"

   The reason came to her, and she firmly replied, "Because I didn't love him. Hilda does, and he loves her."

   "Then why didn't you tell Father?" Cassien asked.

   "Why didn't you tell me, Zel-bell?"

   The sound of her father's voice startled her, and she whirled around. Her surroundings shifted as she moved, transforming into the spacious kitchen of her family home. Daphnes Harkinian, Zelda's father, stood before her. His strong-looking appearance was only betrayed by the tiredness sagging his shoulders and gray in his dusty blonde hair.

   "Why didn't you tell me, Zel-bell?" her father questioned.

   "Because Hilda and I knew you and Mother wouldn't agree," Zelda replied.

   "You are the heiress, are you not?" Her mother's voice made her flinch. When she turned again, she now stood in her mother's room. Raina Harkinian was just as regal as her home, with her long blonde hair parted expertly down the middle and pinned in an updo, and an ankle-length dress colored in rich greens and hemmed with lace. She stared at her daughter disapprovingly with her arms crossed. Zelda shrunk back when faced with that icy gray gaze.

   "I am the heiress, but I couldn't stand to break Hilda's heart," she said. Her back collided with a familiar-feeling body. Well-toned muscles on a lean frame that was comfortingly warm. Zelda flinched when she heard Ewan's voice.

   "Were those time I spent with you worthless, Zelda?" he asked.

   She refused to look at him. "We spent that time together because we're friends. I knew your feelings were for Hilda, not me." She could already see her younger sister out of the corner of her eye. Despite her fierce name, her features were more delicate than Zelda's, and she looked as if a strong wind could blow her away.

   "I love him, but I'm also naïeve," Hilda said. "What if it doesn't work out? The Feildien household won't be willing to offer another of their sons, and we might lose our status."

   "You're only a year younger than me, Hilda. I trust your judgement," Zelda said.

   "For a nineteen year-old, you're also quite naïeve, Zelda," her mother said. "You should be helping and learning from me, not reading those history and mythology books all day. Isn't it enough that your father takes you out to hunt with him?"

   "It isn't!" Zelda objected. "I want to make a difference in this kingdom, not sit in a house all day!"

   Her mother shook her head. "But that is your duty as the Harkinian household's heiress. You'll be providing service to both of our families."

   "I'll still take you out to hunt, Zel-bell," her father offered.

   "Maybe we're wrong, Zel," Hilda said. "We're both naïeve, after all."

   "We could still love each other. We might have just not spent enough time together yet," Ewan reasoned.

   "Give it time, give him a chance," her mother persisted.

   Zelda lowered her head, squeezing her eyes shut. Her legs wanted to give out as the voices of her family and previously-betrothed bombarded her. She winced as her gold necklace felt like it was burning into her skin. A gift from Ewan provided by Zelda's mother, a symbol of her status and what was to come. But she had ignored it.

   Yes, her decision to leave had been impulsive, but she couldn't stand the idea of just wasting away day day away while people suffered. What was wrong with trying to help, even if she was ignorant? That was what she told herself, blinding every other contradictory thought that tried to worm into her. She just had to dig in her heels and never yield, like she always did. Stubbornness and positivity would pull her through this.

   "Why did you leave, Zellie?"

   Zelda's eyes snapped open. Before her stood Cassien, looking up at her with that same innocence. The sound of his first question ripped her reasoning to the forefront of her mind.

   "I... I-I left because I want to make my own path," she said, looking around at those she cared for. "I want to help the people of this kingdom. As the Holder of Wisdom, I have the perfect opportunity to do this." She raised her hand, clenching it into a fist as Wisdom shone upon it. "I won't let these powers be wasted!"

   Cassien's face lit up with happiness. "You passed, Zellie!" he praised. "Great job!" Zelda barely had time to process what he had said before everything around her broke apart into a flurry of white and gold light. She closed her eyes, and it was then that she could finally feel the ground under her feet again.

   Zelda opened her eyes with a gasp, stumbling forwards as she did so. Fira was quick to catch her, and he looked at her worriedly.

   Are you all right, my lady? You seemed to go into a trance, and I could sense great turmoil from your mind.

   "I-I'm fine," she said with a sigh of relief. "I think I passed, actually."

   And you did with flying colors, Virizion said happily. But unlike you, Courage nearly failed.

   He had? Zelda looked to her side, only to see Link doubled over with his hands on his knees, breathing heavily. Luce had a paw on his back, looking even more worried than Fira. Zelda felt a horrible pang of pity for him. What had he seen?

   I'll admit that I'm surprised. I expected more from the Holder of Courage, Virizion said.

   Zelda faintly heard Link mutter out a response as his head lifted. "Sh-shut the hell up." The pain and anger on his pallid face was clearly visible, the green torchlight reflecting in his eyes. "Why did ya have to bring that up?"

   You were faced with the situation in your life that required the most fortitude, Virizion said. She let out an audible sigh. At the very least, you passed.

   With those words, the door before them slid open. The sound of trickling water drifted out to them. On the other side was a short set of stairs that led up to a dais of sorts, and this dais was surrounded by a pool of shallow water. Even from where she was, Zelda could see Overseer Virizion.

   Narrow, pinkish eyes gazed down. Her body was mostly a vivid green, matching well with the leafy environment her temple resided in. Though she stood on four legs, she still stood tall on them.

   She descended the stairs and came to stand in front of the group. Her gaze traveled over everyone, like she was studying them. Zelda noticed a peculiar marking under Virizion's left eye. It looked somewhat like wings on either side of a misshapen diamond. Zelda recognized this as the divine crest of the goddess Hylia herself. Virizion then dipped her head in a bow, her long horns almost scraping the rocks at her feet.

   Welcome, Holders, Overseer Resa. Her head rose, revealing that her divine crest also flashed as she spoke. I never thought that this day would come.

   I hadn't thought so either, Resa said. But it seems that our preparation wasn't for naught, as the Triforce was prevented from falling into Power's hands.

   Virizion dipped her head again. Thank the goddesses for that. I don't believe there needs to be an explanation for anything. Now that you've undone the seal on my temple, I am free to join you when you require my aid. Zelda heard Link exhale a quick sigh. He was probably happy that Virizion wasn't going to join them. Simply call for me, and I will appear. She tilted her head to the side. Am I the first you unsealed?

   That is correct, Resa said. We were aiming to contact Keldeo in the Riptide Temple next.

   Virizion frowned. If I can remember, his temple lies on the border between Hyrule and Zora's domain. You will need to cross the ocean to reach it.

   We do? Resa asked. I... did not know that. I only know that his temple is somewhere in Lanayru.

   Virizion gave Resa a puzzled look. You weren't aware? Tell me, when did you become Overseer?

   Twenty or so years ago, Resa answered.

   And were you chosen or crafted?

   Resa seemed to flinch at this. Chosen.

   Virizion smiled softly, pleased with this information. Ah, that explains it. If you were crafted, then all of an Overseer's knowledge would be guaranteed. Since you were chosen, it only makes sense that some bits and pieces may have been lost in transit. Do you also lack information about the exact locations of the other temples?

   Admittedly, yes I do.

   While the two exchanged information, Zelda looked back to Link. He seemed to have recovered from his trial, though he still kept his arms firmly crossed and his lips pursed. She was surprised that he wasn't complaining about the exchange taking too long or something else. Zelda herself was still rattled about her own trial.

   I hope things are going well for you and Ewan, Hilda. I hope you're watching out for Cassien, Zelda thought. I wish I could apologize to Mother and Father, but I can't. She did wish she could apologize, but what would happen if she did return home? Surely they would be furious with her, and more than that. No, she couldn't think about that right now. There were more pressing issues at hand.

   Still, the words of her false sister plagued her. She couldn't ignore how naïeve she was, and that was because she always leapt into things headfirst without much thought. She really wasn't any better than Link in that regard. But while he used his stubbornness to root himself in unchanging thoughts, Zelda would use hers to help see her through this. She refused to think otherwise.

   But the legends... they still have to be true. Perhaps what happened with Caedmon had been a fluke, and it was a slip of the tongue that made things go wrong. She felt comforted by her thoughts. Everything would have to work out next time. After all, she was the Holder of Wisdom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.6K 1.1K 24
When the three goddesses of the Triforce unintentionally grant the Princess of Hyrule the Triforce of Power, and the evil locked away from the world...
7.2K 194 9
Eight times Time unintentionally proves why he is their 'old man.' One where they return the favour. WARNINGS: - nightmares - self-doubt - fear of he...
43.3K 1.5K 62
When Zelda is forced to marry a tyrant that would bring her country to ruin, she lashes out at her new husband. The new King plots against her so he...
5.5K 400 29
While legends come to us from distant past, others have yet to be written. What happens when Zelda, the heroine reborn, finds herself in the ruined...