Cool Mom

By me_Tehreem

Emma, Daniel and Hazel are The Aarons. They have everything one could dream of: money, family and love. But e... More

1: Valentine's Day
2: Packing
3: Paris!
4: Sausages
5: Eiffel Tower
6: Souvenirs
7: Morning
8: Shopping
9: Date Night
10: Disneyland
11: Sick Hazel
12: Tess's call
13: Phil
14: Last Day
15: Back Home
16: Normal Day
17: Morgan's Birthday
18: Brother's Teasing
19: Picnic
20: Dinner With Friends
21: Parents Arrive
22: Dinner With Parents
23: I'll Never Forget You
24: Baby
25: Mom Knows All
26: Date At Meeting
27: Tess's Past
28: School Visit
29: Swimming Contest
30: Amusement Park
31: Job Offer
32: Spa Day
33: Aftermath
34: Night Talk
35: Some Quite
36: Cake For Hazel
37: Annual Dinner
38: Taken
39: Tense Night
40: Hazel's Return
41: Reassurance
43: Office Visit
44: Conflict
45: Court Day
46: Decision
47: Night After
48: Second Contest
49: Mia
50: Long Night
51: Maui
52: Beach Day
53: Helicopter Ride!
54: Memories
55: Important Talk
56: Hazel's School
57: Orientation
58: First Day Of School
59: McDonald's Picnic
60: Hospital
61: Revelation
62: The Diagnosis
63: Sickness And Health
64: Miami
65: Meeting In Miami
66: Late Night Pharmacy Run
67: Second Time
68: Big Girl
69: Tess Arrives
70: Hazel's Birthday
71: A Fright
72: Pizza Hut
73: Dire News
74: Direr News
75: Visitors
76: Another Visitor
77: Emma Steps In
78: Office Day
79: Hazel's PTM
80: Christmas Day
81: Daniel's Home
82: New Year's Party
83: Girl Or Boy?
84: Big Sister
85: Carnival
86: Swimming Championship
87: Relay Championship
88: Hair Day
89: Delivery Operation
90: Sebastian Aaron
91: Sebastian's Home
92: Under 10s Nationals
93: Toulouse
94: Graduation Day
95: The H. Program
96: Official Portrait
97: Bern
98: Dress Fittings
99: Tess's Wedding
100: Epilogue
Author's Note
Sequel Is Up!

42: The Police Calls

1.2K 37 7
By me_Tehreem

It's been a week since it all happened. Hazel and I are in her bedroom. She's on the floor playing some game with Vanessa and I'm replying to messages that I couldn't reply to over the weekend because of Hazel's swimming classes. Amelia has increased her hours as there is another swimming competition coming up and we agreed to let Hazel participate without question, as long as it kept her mind occupied.

My phone rings, showing Daniel's name.

"Hey." I say, answering the call.

"Hi. Can you please check the news and tell me what exactly they're showing?" He says.

"What do you mean?" I frown, leaving the room and heading for the TV in the living room.

"They're running news coverage of the case and I'm in court." He says which means he doesn't have access to a TV.

"Wait a second." I flip through the channels until I get to the right one.

The news headline speaks for itself. Aaron Limited takes Alan and Co. to court. News of a forced contract.

"They're just explaining the case but some of their facts are off the mark." I tell him.

"Okay, thank you." He says before saying goodbye.

I stay in front of the TV watching the news anchor explain the case as footage from the court plays in the background. I turn off the TV when I hear Hazel on the stairs and seconds later she runs into the room, with Vanessa on her heals.

"Can I swim now?" She asks.

"Sure. Go change into your swim suit." I tell her as I head outside to make sure the swimming pool filters are on.

It's dark outside and I'm helping Hazel take a shower when Daniel comes back home. I find him in the living room sprawled across the couch. He never shows how much work exhausts him but this situation is getting the best of him.

"Hey." I say, sitting down next to him.

"Hi." He says back, his eyes still closed.

"Dinner is ready. Are you up for something to eat?" I ask him.

He shakes his head and opens his eyes to look at me. "Not really hungry."

"Did everything go okay today?" I ask.

He sits up and leans his elbows on his knees before looking back at me and giving me a small smile. "We presented our case and evidence and then they presented theirs'. We weren't in the room so God knows what they even have to say in their defense. And now we'll get a date for when the verdict will be revealed."

"So far, so good?" I ask.

He nods and pulls me to him for a kiss. Before we can, Hazel walks in scolding Vanessa about something.

"Hey, Hazel. How's swim practice going?" Daniel asks, lifting her onto his lap.

"The contest is next weekend." I remind them both which gets Hazel excited again.

Five minutes later she's still explaining the new stroke she learnt this week so I excuse myself and head for the kitchen to check on dinner.On my way, the doorbell rings, the ding sounding through the house. The butler opens the door, blocking my view of whoever is on the other side.

He turns to me and says, "It's the police, ma'am."

"The Police?" I ask, a chill moving through my body.

"Yes, ma'am." He replies.

"What do they want?" I hear Daniel ask from behind me.

The butler pushes the door wide open to reveal one of Daniel's hired security guards, who says, "We have stopped them at the gates but they are requesting to meet Emma Aaron."

"Emma?" Daniel asks, his eyes narrowing.

"Yes." The guard replies.

"I'm going to go see what they want." Daniel says, squeezing my hand as he walks past me and out of the door, followed by the security guard.

I walk back to the living room where Hazel is talking to Vanessa.

"Mommy, is dinner ready?" She asks.

"Yes, we just have to wait for daddy for a little while, okay?" I reply.

"Okay." She nods, going back to talking to the dog.

After about ten minutes, I hear the front door open and then close before Daniel walks into the room.

"Well?" I ask him.

"They need to ask you a few questions. Is that okay with you?" He asks.

I nod, "Sure. Anyway that I can help. But..."

"What?" He raises an eyebrow at me.

"I don't want them inside the house." I reply, motioning towards Hazel who is too busy with Vanessa to pay any attention to our conversation.

"Let's just walk out to their car then." He says.

I change out of my slides into a pair of sneakers before following Daniel out of the house. A Police patrol car waits at the end of the driveway with two men in uniform standing by it. Despite the little light, I see our own security guards nearby too.

"Emma Aaron?" One of them asks, as we near them."That's me." I nod, shaking their hands as they introduce themselves.

"Do you mind if we ask you a few questions?" He asks.

"Not at all." I reply.

One starts asking me questions while the other takes notes.

"You were contacted by Hamish Hamlet of Alan and Co. prior to the events of the night of 23 May. Correct?"

"Yes." I reply.

"Will you allow us to verify this information by gaining access to your caller lists?"

"You may."

"Can you please explain in clear detail what you remember of the time when Hamish Hamlet asked you to call your helper and check on your daughter?"

I repeat the events of that night which I remember clearly and know I will never forget. After a few more questions seeking more details, they thank us for our time and then decline our offer of coffee or tea before leaving.

"That wasn't too bad." I say out loud as we back up the driveway. I had felt Daniel's discomfort the entire time they were questioning me.

"I specifically had the lawyers request that my family be kept out of the investigation but the judge must have decline the request." He sighs.

I come to a halt, forcing him to stop walking too and face me. "Daniel, this is okay. I understand that you're only trying to protect us but I want to help make sure that things turn out the way we want them to. So, if there's any way that I can help or any information that they need from me, please just let me know. Okay?"

He sighs and wraps his arms around my waist. "What did I do to deserve you?"

Before my lips can reach his, I hear the front door open and then Hazel's cries reach my ear.

"Mommy!" She screams, running over to us, barefoot. I lift her into my arms and rub her back.

"What's wrong, Hazel?" I ask her.

"Are they taking me away?" She hiccups.

"Taking who away, Bunny?" Daniel asks for me as I'm too shocked at her crying to ask any questions.

"Are those men taking me away?" She screams, crying even louder.

"Oh Hazel." I whisper, finally catching on to what's happening and hug her close to me. "No one's going anywhere. You will always be where mommy and daddy are. I promise you."

She wraps her tiny arms around my neck and sobs into my neck, making me lose my control too and a few tears roll down my cheeks. No child should ever have to feel scared for their safety and with Hazel crying over it, just breaks my heart.

I feel Daniel wrap his arms around the two of us and then he dips his head to kiss Hazel's cheek before reassuring her that no matter what, she will always be safe.

No matter what part of the world you are in, no matter what nationality, race or religion you are. No matter what age you are, one should never have to fear their safety. This chapter is for all those people whose pain and suffering goes unheard. The oppressed minorities, the suffering nations, the ones who have lost their loved ones. Let's remember them all. This chapter may not do anything. But someone remembers them, I remember them and everyone who reads this chapter will remember them.

-T

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207K 8.8K 40
Single Mother Emma Swan (32) needs to start over after her baby daddy leaves her. Emma takes the Promotion she has been waiting for. Though it was fa...
927 28 32
Emma Swan has been longing for change not just for her but for her infant son Henry. Once she finds out who she is and who her parents are she travel...
8.4K 376 39
First time writing, would love to have some feedback! Emma and Regina have always had a connection, but haven't been able to define it. Finally, they...
15K 158 24
You know their parent's stories, now it's time to hear theirs. - Who would have guessed that your parents could be your worst fear, your w...