The Phantom of The Phantom of...

By BrendaDaaeDestler

Catherine Daei is a young soprano who lives in Paris. She is the understudy for the part of Christine Daaé, t... More

Notes From the Authors/Our Cast
Chapter 1: The Garnier's Opera Ghost
Chapter 2: The Second Note
Chapter 3: The Masked Man
Chapter 4: Confrontations
Chapter 5: Behind the Mirror
Chapter 6: A Dinner Proposal
Chapter 7: Run Away, Little Girl
Chapter 8: New Love
Chapter 9: Sad Memories
Chapter 10: Daddy?
Chapter 11: Spilled Coffee
Chapter 13: First Date
Chapter 14: Sure You Can, Honey
Chapter 15: Never Again
Chapter 16: She Knows
Chapter 17: A Falling Out
Chapter 18: It's Been Too Long
Chapter 19: Nothing's Left But Her Name
Chapter 20: Caleb Knows
Chapter 21: Unseen Pain
Chapter 22: Thinking Out Loud
Chapter 23: Comprehension
Chapter 24: The Forbidden Kiss
Chapter 25: Not on His Watch
Chapter 26: Carlos Daei
Chapter 27: I'm Here Now
Chapter 28: Good Morning, Handsome
Chapter 29: He's Dead
Chapter 30: Maraca Boy and Purple Highlights Girl
Chapter 31: At Least We Have Each Other
Chapter 32: Don't Cry, My Angel
Chapter 33: Half Sisters
Chapter 34: He Texted You?
Chapter 35: You Read?
Chapter 36: How Long Has This Been Going On?
Chapter 37: Maybe He's Depressed
Chapter 38: Masquerade
Chapter 39: Why So Silent?
Chapter 40: Until We Meet Again
Chapter 41: It Wasn't Josh
Chapter 42: You Deserve the World
Chapter 43: All I Wanted
Chapter 44: Baby, You're Sick
Chapter 45: Can't Help Falling In Love
Chapter 46: Josh Isn't Josh
Book Two
Sequel Announcement!

Chapter 12: He Didn't Tell Me

391 23 21
By BrendaDaaeDestler

"Right then," the man at the head of the table sighed.

"Dad, hurry up. I have to be at Tina's in an hour," Caroline whispered loudly.

"Well, before we start in on the finances," the older man sighed, "there's a proposal here for the Collins-Steele plaque on the east wall. It's nearing the tenth anniversary and some of our staff thought it be nice to have a remembrance of those friends we've lost when the time rolls around. Any questions?"

Catherine whispered to Mariah, "Who died? And who's Steele?"

"It was seven years back. That Steele girl, who helped worked in the costume department, she was married to Collins, that one actor we had as Erik that offed himself," Mari explained hurriedly in a hushed tone. "It was all within a week. I was here when it happened. Horrible accident."

"Aye," Josh said quickly. "I think we're all in agreement. Let's move on."

Catherine stood up suddenly and almost ran to the door.

"Leaving so soon?" Asked the man at the head of the chair.

"I...think I might be pregnant," Catherine said quickly, running through the double doors.

"What?!" Mari roared, standing up and knocking her scolding hot drink onto Josh's pants.

Josh gave a scream of pain and stood up, slamming his chair into Caroline's knee. Caroline attempted to slap him but he ducked out of the way, Caroline slapping another member of the tech squad instead.

"Darn it," Josh muttered, trying to push through the uproar along side Mari.

"Where are you going geek?"

"After Cath!"

"No," Mari snarled, throwing a pile of papers off her coat and into the ensuing panic. "I am."

"Shut up and let's get out of here," Josh muttered angrily, trying to dry off his pants.

—————

Catherine ran down the hallway and into her dressing room. She locked the door and looked in the mirror. "Pregnant? Really? That was the best excuse you could come up with?" She reprimanded herself.

—————

"Cath?!" Josh shouted racing after Mari.

"No, wait," Mari said, stopping abruptly. "I don't know who you think you are, but nobody calls her Cath but me."

Josh looked at her in dumbfounded shock. "Is this really important right now?!"

—————

Catherine didn't know what to do. She heard voices outside her door. "Who could that possibly be?" She thought in exasperation.

Josh stood on the other side of the door leading into Cath's dressing room. "Catherine?!"

Mari bit her lip nervously. "Nerd Boy...you don't actually think she's-"

"Josh?!" Catherine exclaimed, clutching at her chest. "God, what are you doing here?"

"Come on Cathrine," Josh sighed and Mari knocked furiously. "Let us in?"

Catherine laughed. "Alright," she consented as she unlocked the door. "What's up?"

"The sky, Dumbo," Josh spat.

"Ouch. Testy, are we?"

"You just cost me my job, most likely, and Matt his income. Dang right, I'm ticked."

"I'm sorry. Did I miss something?"

"Cath, I need answers here," Mari yelled, pushing Josh out of her way.

"You're going to be an auntie," Catherine joked. "The t-shirt is coming tomorrow."

"That's not even funny, Catherine Daei," Mari shouted angrily

"Well, what do you want me to tell you?"

"Are you pregnant?!"

"No. Who do you think I am?"

Mari gave a sigh of relief and sank to the floor.

"Cath, why'd you run off like that?" Josh sighed wearily.

"Matthew was married? This is news to me," Catherine scoffed, ignoring his question. "Was it that Melody girl?"

Josh sighed. "Look, it was ages ago. Keep your voice down he's got supersonic ears."

"I just needed to get out of there, okay? Being pregnant was the first thing that came to mind. It's something my sister and I used years ago, and nobody ever asked follow up questions...Now that I look back, it may not have been the best way to deal with our problems," Catherine sighed, shaking her head.

"Maybe not!" Mari yelled, still feeling faint.

"Cath, please," Josh said in a somber tone, "Cath, we can't talk about this. If you care anything for Matt, you can't bring this up!"

"Fine," Cath replied. "I'm just a little sick of having to understand all the time and trust people."

"Matt has chosen to trust you, Cath, and I don't know why," Josh sighed, leaning against the door. "If he's opened up to you, if he's given you himself, pure and whole...Cath, you're his universe."

Cath bit her lip. "Does Matthew have any allergies?"

Josh frowned. You tell a girl she's a guy's universe, and she wants to know his dietary restrictions. "He's allergic to bassists, bassoon players, and girls with purple highlights. Why you ask?"

"Girls with purple highlights, huh? It's a good thing he didn't know me in high school," Catherine laughed. "I'm having him over for dinner next week."

"Cath," Mari sighed, "please just explain who this guy is and why, at this moment, he knows more about your life than I do. Is this Matt?"

"No, this is Josh. Do you want to head off to lunch a little early so that I can explain everything?"

"My god, yes," Mari moaned, rising to her feet and giving Josh a stubbornly annoyed glance.

"Don't make that face, Mari. We like Josh." Catherine gave Josh a quick hug before leaving. "Thank you," she whispered in his ear.

She took Mariah to a nearby restaurant and told her everything. She finished by saying, "And before I returned with the coffees, I kissed him on the cheek and he said 'Love you.' He told me he loves me!"

"And he wears a mask?" Mari asked slowly, bringing a small coffee cup to her lips.

"Yeah. He's been burned. What do you know about the accident? I'm confident it's linked to that."

Maris hand began to shake ever so slightly. "Nine years ago, starting on broadway, there was this guy Matthew Collins. Best Phantom the world had ever heard. He was fluent in French, so the Garnier bribed him, bought him out when his broadway contract broke, and he came here. He was a quiet guy, never really did anything outstanding or worth noticing, always hid in the shadows. Put him on a stage, though, and it was magic. He would sing his heart out. I got chills every night. It was all perfect and then..."

"He was burned? Pyrotechnics?" Catherine guessed.

Mari nodded. "It was seven years ago. Caleb didn't...It was during the All I Ask of You (Reprise) scene. Matt was distracted by someone in the audience. Well, he overstepped his mark. Caleb tried to run out and grab him, but it was too late."

"Poor Matt."

"Then Mel...He couldn't take it, Cath. He'd lost the one person he was open with and his confidence in a single day. He went out to the river, jumped in, and no one ever saw him again. It nearly killed his sister. Cath, if what you're telling me is true..."

"He's alive. I know it's him. He sings like an Angel. Plus, I heard him mention broadway and then quickly change the subject...I can't believe it...Were he and Mel...close?"

"I.T. Boy is right," Mari said, biting her lip and wiping her hands on a napkin. "If he's alive, Melody is a topic you shouldn't discuss."

"What happened to her?" Catherine asked, her irritation growing.

"That's something I think only Matt can tell," Mari sighed. "It's not my place. And anyway, I don't know most of it. But I trust Matthew Collins with my life. He was a good man. You've got good taste, Cath."

"Why me? Why did he choose me?"

Mari looked at her intently and gave a little smile. "Your eyes are similar to Mel's, Cath. Only yours are blue," Mari nodded, then looked harder. "Weird," she mumbled, "I thought there was something familiar about you, but I couldn't figure it out until you talked about Matt."

"Oh, great," Catherine moaned. "So he only wants to be with me because I remind him of his dead wife. That's always wonderful to hear."

"No," Mari laughed, laying a comforting hand on Catherine's. "Cath, Melody was an angel. There was a mercy, a compassion in her I couldn't begin to understand. She sang like one too, she'd get this sparkle in her eye...But fear kept her from the stage, a fear Matt somehow was able to vanquish from the both of them every time he walked in the room. He always said she had magic eyes, ones that brought out the best in him. I think you do too."

Catherine blushed. "I doubt he's even that attached to me. He'll have moved on by the end of the week, I'm certain. I just don't understand why he won't tell me. I mean, if we're going to be a serious thing, I need to know stuff like this...Oh, well," she sighed. "There's nothing I can do about it. Do you think you could help me prepare for my date?"

"Cath, he spent seven years with the entire world thinking he was dead because he couldn't let go of the the past. Why do you think he'd ever let go of you?"

"I don't know. I don't have the best track record with people...staying. You know. It seems like everyone I get close to leaves in one way or another."

Mari nodded solemnly.

"How long were they married?" Catherine inquired after a moment.

"About a month," Mari sighed.

"He didn't tell me he was married," Catherine sighed. "This guy is one big mystery."

"What planet do you live on? He's not gonna tell his girlfriend, 'Hey, I was married for a month.' He probably has blocked it from his memory, Cath. It's probably just some song or nightmare fluttering around his subconscious at night. Besides, the way she died...When the time comes, sure, ask him. What's wrong with a little mystery till then?"

"I suppose you're right. I didn't tell him about...you know...the whole depression thing or being bullied."

Mariah said with a compassionate smile, "Cath, with all you've been through, imagine how many times Matt has felt the same way."

"Wow...Where did we land on you helping me get ready for my date?"

"I don't think we landed anywhere, but I'd be happy to help," Mari grinned.

"Thanks. Do you have the recipe to that really great Italian dish?"

"Course I do," Mari smiled.

"Great. Should I go with the blue dress or the little black one?"

"Blue. It brings out your hair...Cath?" Mari said with a small smile. "Do you think...he could be the one?"

Catherine blushed. "Possibly. I mean, we hardly know each other, but..."

Mari bit her lip and gave a little nod. "The black one then."

"Okay," Catherine smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 633 25
*OLD STORY* As a writer, Emma knows better than anyone that characters exist to suffer. Her motto has always been "Help the plot, hurt the characters...
40.2K 1K 29
Meeting the Phantom of the Opera has been Alia Raine's dream since she found the story. Little did she know, some of her dreams would turn out true...
31.9K 1.3K 23
One event changed everything in Christine Daae's life. Erik Destlar fell in love with her and decided to take her to live with him. Will she ever lov...
53.4K 1.6K 24
Lilienne LaClaire is a fish out of water, so to say. No matter how hard she tries, she just can't fit in at the Paris Opera. She minds her own busi...