The boy with the mask

By Zoeyswriting

Jack Adams also known as the "mysterious boy". No one knows the real him. He wears a mask that no one can unc... More

Beginning
One- "Get it together dude!"
Two- "I-uh can we meet up at a library better?"
Four- "Yeah, but you'll love me."
Five-"Please be careful,"
Six-"I don't have a phone,"
Seven-"I have to get home now. Please,"
Eight-"I just wish we were enough,"
Nine-"Baby, I'm home!"
Ten-"No, silly, it's a good thing, it's hot,"
Eleven-"Is this the part where you guys kiss?"
Twelve- "You're good with kids,"
Thirteen-"I'm going to test you on older Disney movies..."
Fourteen-"I plan on staying with you for the long haul."

Three -"No. I'm her older brother."

47 8 17
By Zoeyswriting

  Since I had to take Riley to Daddy Donuts Day she had to come walking with me.

Apparently if your dad’s coming you couldn't go on the bus because of some stupid reason. I'll be honest I'd rather Riley go on the bus than walk there.

Anyways today was harder for me to walk. As usual after I put Riley to bed my lovely father would beat me until he thinks I've learned my lesson. What lesson? I don’t know. Probably because I had Riley home late yesterday. But it's whatever. I'm used to it.

When we got to her school I had to go to the office and get a visiting pass. When we entered her class I saw lots of girls wearing dresses and some boys wearing suits, others wearing pajamas, and lastly some wearing their regular uniforms.

Riley's teacher, Mrs. Ackles, came up to us.

“Riley, honey, you look beautiful. I love that dress on you.”

She's right though. Riley’s the most prettiest one here.

She's wearing a hot pink puffy dress, white beads all around her chest area and around her arms, down where the puffiness actually shows she has glitter all over it. To top it off she's wearing white heels and her hair is half up and half down.

Riley smiled so happily and started moving forward and backward with her heel.

“Thank you Mrs. Ackles.”

“Jacky?”

I looked down at her to see her doing the classic puppy dog eyes.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Can I go find my friends? You can sit with their daddies.”

I chuckled lightly.

“Yes princess go find them and do you want a chocolate donut?”

“Yesssss!!”

I grabbed 2 chocolate donuts, 2 cups of milk, and walked to where Riley was sitting with her friends and their dads.

I placed a donut and a cup of milk in front of Riley and she was so happy. She slurped the whole milk in like a second.

“Jacky.”

“What's wrong?” I asked as I took a bite out of my donut.

“I want more milk.”

“Okay princess first eat your donut then I'll give you more milk.”

“Okay.”

The dads looked at me oddly. Well no duh. I mean you're a teenager. They think you're her father. Stupid.

“You're her dad?”

“No. I'm her older brother.”

“You didn't get the memo then. This is a daddy's daughter event. Not a big brother-.

He didn't get to finish.

“Listen okay. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a father that's here or gives a damn. So yeah I'm her older brother but she sees me as her dad. And no one here said anything but you.”

“Riley, honey, you want to go now?”

“Jacky can we go go the park today?”

How should I tell her that I had to go to school? It sucks knowing that she can't be with her friends because I have to somewhere to attend to and she has to go home or some sort.

“Jacky.” Riley breaks my thinking. We've been walking around, since I don't know what to do with her.

“What's wrong princess?”

“Can I go to school with you?”

Shocked, I asked.

“Riley you know you can't.”

“Nu uh. You just say it so I don't embarrass you.”

“Princess…” I sighed.

“That's not true.”

“If it's not true, like you say, then take me with you to school.”

“Dang girl fine. I'll bring you to school with me. But if you get people looking at you weirdly don't blame me.”

She clapped her hands and jumped around. “Yes yes yes!!! Thank you Jacky!!”

I chuckled when she jumped on me and hugged me tightly.

I kissed the side of her head and whispered that I loved her.

She put her hands around her mouth and whispered and my ear.

“I love you more. You're the best big brother.”

I smiled happily.

Walking into school, as said, everyone looked at Riley weirdly.

I don't blame though… why bring a little girl to school?

I walked into the office and went up to our secretary, Mrs. Oliver, a lovely lady in her late 50’s, with her long white hair, her wrinkled face, yet still beautiful. She was one of the most prettiest person here and the best at helping me. She married her middle school lover and both of them together honestly were a match made in heaven. They got married right after graduating college and stayed here. Mrs. Oliver and Mr. Oliver invited Riley and I to their house before. She’s one of the only person who helps me when I’m in trouble with my dad. Usually, Riley would stay with her when I think my dad is drunk out of his mind and wouldn’t be safe near him.

“Good morning Mrs. Oliver.” I smiled brightly.

“Hello Jack. What can I do for you today?” She asked as she stopped typing in the computer.

I looked down at my side to see Riley just looking around happily with her big eyes making me smile.  

I think Mrs. Oliver realized it because she looked down and saw Riley and smiled sadly.

“ Oh honey, of course she can stay here but I’m leaving about an hour earlier today I could take her with me if you’d like.” She offered.

I shook my head. “No thank you, that won’t be necessary. I just wanted to know if you can write a pass for me for being late. I’ll pick up Riley before last period. Since I have Mr. Matthews.”

“Of course sweetheart. What does she like for lunch? We can’t have her roaming around here on an empty stomach. Right Riley? We have a lot of work to do sweetheart.” She looked at Riley smiling and nodding her head.

“Yes ma’am we’re going to have so much fun! Right Jacky?”

“Hey princess, what do you want to eat for lunch?”

“PIZZA!!”

Mrs. Oliver and I chuckled at her excitement.

Mrs. Oliver wrote me a note to 3rd period and I handed her the only cash I had on me. 6 dollars.

“No dear I can pay for her.”

“Mrs. Oliver, it's my sister. She shouldn't even have to be here now but due to circumstances I had to as last minute. So take the money and buy Riley the food. I'll see you last period.”

I kissed Riley on the side of her head and waved her goodbye.

“Bye Jacky!!” She called my name as she waved so happily.

I got to class late. Obviously. I sat down and took the notes I missed and wandered about life.

It's already last period which I'm grateful for. I can finally see Riley now.

You sure? Or are you excited to see Madison? That little voice in my head said.

I got to the front desk and saw Mrs. Oliver and Riley coloring.

“JACKY!!!” She shouted making almost everyone turn their heads.

I laughed a bit embarrassed.

“Hi princess. You ready to come with me and see Uncle Ben?”

“Yes yes yes!!!” She clapped her hands, she got up and gathered her stuff and came by my side.

“Bye Mrs. Oliver!” Riley waved and placed a kiss on her cheek.

“Here Jack.” Mrs. Oliver wrote me an excused pass to 7th period.

“Thank you for everything today.”

“No worries.” She dismisses me.

I held Riley’s hands on mine and walked upstairs to English.

I opened the door and Riley just ran in and hugged Mr. Matthews.

Crap…

“Riley!”

“Uncle Ben!!”

Someone help me…

Ignoring all the shocked faces I went up and grabbed Riley and asked Mr. Matthews to come outside.

“What's wrong Jack?”

“Riley had to be here all day today she stayed with Mrs. Oliver, so now if it's okay I need her here with me. I have my tardy pass.”

“Jack you know she can stay just quiet please.” I nodded.

“Uncle Ben where's Kayla? I miss her.”

I sucked in a deep breath. I heard Ben did also.

“Umm Riley I told you we don't talk about that. I told you she went somewhere else and isn't coming back here.” I looked at Ben saying sorry.

Kayla. Kayla Matthews was something very difficult to talk about. That's why I barely ever did. And right now is not the time to talk about it.

Ben opened the door and walked in leaving me and Riley to follow.

I went to the back next to Madison and pulled up a chair for Riley.

“Alright, um, I need someone to help pass these out.”

Riley jumped off her chair and grabbed the stack of paper and started passing it around.

I groaned and got up.

“Riley let me do it.”

“Jack it's okay. It'll keep her out of trouble.”

I went back to my seat ignoring Madison's confused gaze.

“Yes?” I asked her.

“Nothing.” She bit her lip.

Beautiful.

Wait, what?

It's been like 15 minutes since Riley passed out the papers and I swear she's a big hit in the class. Everyone's talking to her, playing with her, and all that good stuff. Honestly I love seeing her happy. It's been a very long time. Only one could do so much.

Madison nudged my side making me look at her annoyed.

“You had to do that?”

“How else was I going to get your attention?”

“There is something we normal people do, it's called talking. You should try it instead of punching me.”

She rolled her eyes, and started annoying me again.

“I didn't punch you. I nudged you there’s a different.”

“Whatever.”

She nudged me again when I turned around.

“What do you want?” I groaned,  annoyed.

“Are we going to the library today?” She asked, as she wrote a couple of more words to her sentence.

“Umm… I mean as you can see I'm with my sister, and like she might annoy you.” I explained to her.

“It’s alright. I love little kids, and your sister is adorable. Unless you're busy.”

“Hey, um, Jack?

“The bell rang.”

“Oh.” I got up confused and looked around to find Riley, when I spotted her talking to Mr. Matthews.

“Thank you Riley for helping me today.” He gave her a lollipop.

“A lollipop? Really?”

“Jacky stop being mean! See, like uncle Ben says if you part-parti- what was it uncle Ben?” She looked up at him.

“Participate. If you participate Jack you can get a lollipop.”

We both laughed.

I grabbed Riley’s hand and went to my locker to find Madison at her’s. I packed up all my things I need and went to Madison.

“Riley I need you to behave today, because Madison an I need to go work at the Library. Okaay? Be a good girl.” I told her.
I walked up to Madison, and leaned by her locker.

“Hey, so I’ll meet you outside.” She nodded with a smile in response.

I walked outside with Riley when some guy came stumbling toward us. Drunks and angry he started hitting me and yelling some slurred curses.
“Give me your damn money!” He yelled, as he continued hitting me.

Oh my gosh…

Hey, hey, hey!!! How are you guys enjoying the story? Leave your thoughts in the comments below. Love you all-Zoey!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

576K 14.5K 41
(I WROTE THIS AT 14 YEARS OLD, IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS SO DON'T ATTACK ME Y'ALL FOR HOW BAD IT IS IDEK WHY IT HAS READS BUT LMFAO) "Because Heaven," he s...
60.8K 2.1K 18
Jordan Whitehead the nerd that no one ever payed attention to. He never was the popular type, and was always a victim when it came to bullying. And a...
877 91 33
Henry was never the type of guy that was like by many people at school. Like most nerds, he didn't really care about what anyone thought of him but w...