Born To Lose (Frerard)

By Abrene

"In the end, it doesn't even matter." More

ImNotGoodWithTitles
The Hurt You Sold
A Line Without A Hook
Dream For The Dead
A Death Wish
Fool's Day
Liquor Stores Keeps The Gas Tank Full
More Than You Bargained For
Encourage Your Smile
Pity Party
Forget Me Not
Ciao Buio
Trust Me
Blood Isn't The Only Thing That's Red
Wishful Thinking
Give Me A Reason
Heaven Help Us
The Lies of the Taken
When The Funeral ends
As Days Fade
Another Hopeless Cause
Story Announcements

Epilogue

141 7 22
By Abrene

Bert stood in the threshold, fixing his cuffs, repeatedly adjusting his sleeves, a nervous tactic, just as the other man made his way to the door.

"Are you ready to see him today?" The man asked an uneasy Bert.

Bert nodded. It's been two weeks since he made Gerard check into the local asylum. Ever since his heart transplant two months ago, the twenty year old hasn't been the same. Talking to himself, odd mumbling and his over hyperactive state made the eighteen year old ex-gang member to take him to a place that would get his life...or in this case: his sanity back in order.

Just two weeks ago, he had to watch his best friend, get put into a rehabilitation centre. Just two weeks ago and everything seemed to be going to hades.

"I'm ready, it's very hard...seeing him like that, I feel like this is all my fau---"

"No, this isn't your fault Bert. Don't beat yourself up about this. You did the right thing and I'm sure Gerard, what's really left of him; is thankful for that," the man said softly.

Bert held onto the phrase.
What's left of him.

"Thank you Bob, really you've been such a big help to both Gerard and I, for letting us stay here and helping us heal," Bert sighed, trailing off.

"You guys are family, and family sticks together," Bob replied with a corny smile.

Bert laughed heartily at the older blond's corniness.
"You couldn't be any cheesier, could you?"

The blond only laughed.
"Come on lets go. Visiting hours will soon end,"
Bert nodded in agreement and the two men headed out, both in lost in their own self doubts.
¥

Gerard waited patiently, staring at the bland wall clock that was hung high on the padded walls of the small room.

'It was almost noon,' thought the twenty year old. Frank always came to visit him once it was the afternoon.

They talked a lot, keeping each other company. Sometimes they'd play games, the younger would persuade the older into doing mischievous things and pranks on the staff and pesky nurses.

In just a couple of weeks, the redhead had gotten a name for himself for causing trouble and being a constant pain in the ass to deal with in the institution.

None of the inmates liked him, a few only tolerated him and some downright despised him.

One of the inmates: Syn, were one of those people that couldn't stand the young man and his childish schemes.

Syn has been in the institution for the longest period and everyone was afraid of the older man with a scar that was more jagged than a lightning bolt stretched along the side of his stubbled face.
Everyone, staff, orderlies, inmates. No one dared to look twice at the notorious man. His story and why he was admitted was a mystery to all. It's been kept confidential for reasons best known to the US government: the people that had brought him there to Rolling Hills, one of the top asylums in the whole of New York and Eastern America.

This excited the twenty year old. He loved to rebel and was always up for a challenge. Which is what Syn represented.

He held the plastic tray in his hands, the food appearing to be produced from a higher class of plastic.

The cafeteria was somewhat quiet, with the gentle buzz of conversation and occasional laughter. Gerard headed over to his familar table  by the wall, far away from the others.

He was pleased to find it empty. He sat but his smile faded.
It was lunch time, it was already noon; yet Frank still wasn't here.

The boy picked at his food, deep in thought as he stared at the notorious man seated in another table across from him.

The table was filled and bubbly, laughter issuing from it constantly. It was a huge contrast to Gerard's.
He didn't like that.

Suddenly a thought came to the twenty year old.

He took out the bland cheese sandwich from the flimsy plastic bag and uncapped his water bottle.

He drained the water into the bag and sealed it once it was full. A smile graced his lips as he tied the make shift water bag and looked up at the rebel, deep in an interesting conversation with his inmate buddies.

Gerard held the water bag, far above his head, and without a second thought: slung it with great force towards the older man.

The bag hit him in the face, bursting against his calloused skin, water running down from it and soaking his clothes.

The cafeteria went silent.

The only sound heard was the dripping of water and the obnoxious laughter coming from the redhead.

Another person was laughing with him. Frank plopped down next to the older boy, still wearing the same bloody, torn jeans and ripped blood stained Death Spells shirt that he always wore whenever he appeared.

Gerard was happy and relieved, now that Frank was here to see what he had just done. They would laugh about it for hours later.

All eyes went on Syn, still dripping wet. His jaw clenched and his eyes lowered on the redhead that was still lost in his own crazed laughter.

He arose, making a beeline towards the boy and shoved one calloused hand into his mane, dragging him up from the bench.

The latter stopped laughing, now wincing from the pain drawing out in his head. Syn tightened his grip on the younger man's hair as he brought his head down on the table: slamming his skull repeatedly against the wooden table.

Gerard's hearing became muffled as he called out to Frank for help. But the seventeen year old was nowhere to be found.

His struggle against the angered inmate was useless as he was subjected to more slamming and stilled once he felt something wet run down the side of his face and his vision went blank.
¥

"Gerard, I told you about getting into fights," came a familiar, soft voice.

The boy groaned on hearing the voice. He touched the gauze wrapped around his head and looked up at the woman, his eyes heavy from the heavy pain relievers.

"I did it to impress Frank," Gerard defended, laying back down on the stiff bed.

"Frank," the nurse said softly, casting a sad smile to the twenty year old. She was all too familiar with this ordeal to be taken aback.

She knew of Gerard's condition, but went along with it because she was different. She saw something different in the twenty year old...something she hadn't witnessed in the six months of her stay at Rolling Hills.

She was a young nineteen year old, new to the field of clinical psychology and dealing with patients struggling with themselves. Young but not naive. She was just understanding of everyone and everything.

She was the only person that Gerard trusted apart from Frank, and the former enjoyed the latter's quirks and rebellion that reminded her of her younger teenage years. The two got along quite well.

Someone walked in and sat down on the edge of the bed, Gerard felt the weight shift on the foam and he smiled.

"He's here now, isn't he?" The nurse asked and the man nodded.

Frank looked from the woman to Gerard, a mischievous smirk on his face.

"You really kicked some ass in the cafeteria, I'm proud of you Gee,"
Gerard smiled faintly, staring up from his position on the bed.

"You mean I got my ass kicked, that prick really messed with my head---Ow!"

The nurse drew blood with the needle she had secretly pricked Gerard with as he started getting lost in his 'conversation'.

Frank held his hand and rubbed soothing circles into his skin, which distracted Gerard from the sudden intrusion and calmed him down significantly.

"Annnd--- done!" The nurse announced in a satisfied voice, putting the blood sample aside and taking a few notes.

Gerard huffed just as Frank pressed a soft kiss to the wide of his face, murmuring approvals and praises into the older boy's ear.

"Visiting hours are almost over," The nurse chimed in softly with a smile. "And your friends are here to see you,"

Gerard frowned on hearing that. "Well I don't want to see them," he retorted.

The brunette sighed, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear as she looked at the redhead on the bed, pouting like a three year old.

"Gerard please, they are really worried about you and just want to see how you're fairing," she pleaded softly and the older boy slowly lost his resolve. He didn't want his nurse friend to be sad because of him.

"Fine,"

The woman smiled warmly, glad to have convinced the man.
"You're lucky I like you Sarah," Gerard said as soon as he realized his boyfriend had disappeared once again.
¥¥

The room was so quiet that even the sound of a fly buzzing around sounded loud in the twenty year old's ears.

Bob sat down across from Gerard just as Bert told the security guard to give them some privacy, which the man nodded and headed out of the room, leaving the three men alone.

As Bert took a seat next to Bob, he felt a stab of guilt and regret as he looked into those hazel eyes that reminded him of why he was here in the first place.

"Hey Gerard," he smiled, a bit uneasily.
"Hi, I don't want to talk to you, but I guess I'm stuck with you for twenty more minutes," Gerard replied, his voice unenthusiastic.

Bert's face fell and Bob only stared at his old flame, a sad but determined look on his face.

"We got you something," Bob said, breaking the heavy silence. He pushed something across the table and Gerard's eyes softened, a wide grin tugging the corners of his lips.

"The latest issue of Doom Patrol, I remember how much you loved reading comics..." Bob trailed off silently, a reminiscent smile on his face.

He missed those times, those moments that they both shared before this whole mess really began.

"Thank you Bob," Gerard said softly, giving a faint smile at his ex. The small gesture gave the former a glimpse of hope of the latter's possible recovery.

Frank came up from behind Gerard, taking a seat next to the redhead and holding his hand, looking at the boy fondly.

"Frank likes the comic too," Gerard said.
Bob's smile melted and he exchanged a look with Bert before the two focused their attention on Gerard.

"Gerard," Bert began firmly, ignoring the cautious glance from Bob. "Frank isn't here. He's dead,"

Gerard shot up from his seat, tipping the chair backwards as he lunged towards Bert, colliding onto him and knocking him on the ground. Bob got up, trying to pry Gerard off of Bert but the man refused: throwing punch after punch at the helpless teen.

Soon the door swung open and two men rushed into the room. One pulled Gerard away from Bert and the other ushered the two visitors out.

Gerard was still struggling in the man's hold, screaming obscenities towards the visitors retreating backs, until the other man came and pushed a needle through the side of his head.

The twenty year old let out a cry of distress just as he fell unconscious.
¥¥

"I'm sorry about earlier, I wish I could have helped you out Gee, but I had to go again," Frank said calmly as he ran a hand through the older boy's flaming locks.

Gerard looked up from Frank's lap in their position in Gerard's white padded prison.

The older sighed, "I wish I could just leave this awful place and follow you home Frankie," he said wistfully, disregarding Frank's words.

"You can actually," Frank said and hummed once he saw Gerard's eyes sparkle with interest.

"How?"
"We can be together, but I don't know if you're ready for it yet,"
Gerard furrowed his brows and sat up, looking at his boyfriend with determination.
"I am ready Frank. I hate it here, I just want to leave and be with you...I love you,"

Frank smiled mischievously, his tongue toying with his rusted lip ring.

"Okay,"
"Okay?" Gerard asked. in disbelief, relief and joy washing over him.

"Tonight, after roll call and lights out; take the fire exit to the roof. Walk across towards the edge and jump...I'll be down waiting to catch you. Then we can truly be free,"

Gerard couldn't believe his ears. The plan was so simple that he mentally scolded himself for not thinking of it in the first place.

The only thing was that he was afraid of heights and the seven story difference from the roof to the ground made him hesistant, but the smile on his partner's face made all those worries to melt away.

"Okay, I will, I'll do it for you," Gerard giggled before he leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to the other boy's lips.

"I love you, Frank,"
.
.
.

¥¥¥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 4.9K 27
"No I'm not gay. I just like what I like??‍♀️"
8.5K 509 40
don't cross the line (lower case intended. story is written from felix's perspective)
16.8K 252 50
lachambers oneshots not all mine i will trie to give credit but alot do not have names to credit.
514 60 7
"What would you do if I ran away tomorrow?" I asked, hypothetically. He took no time to ponder his answer, "I would run away with you."