Heaven Help Us

We've been driving for what seemed like an eternity, only stopping once in a while to get gas. Gerard hasn't really been vocal either so I found myself feeling anxious and bored, if that made sense.

  "Why couldn't we just take a flight to New York instead?" I complained after three hours of silence. "Because scheduling a flight takes time, Frank," The sharp manner in which he said my name made me to sigh.

He rolled his eyes and pushed his sunglasses up on the bridge of his nose. "Besides, my dealers are probably still hunting me down and going to the airport would just be like walking into a bear trap," He added and I nodded in understanding.

Whoever put Gerard in that accident was never found and could still be following us for all we knew. "I guess you're right," I said.

He laughed, "When am I not?" I resisted the urge to actually list the many times the arrogant redhead had indeed fucked up, biting my lip instead.

"How many more hours until we reach New York?" I asked again after a few more miles of endless road. Gerard checked the map and furrowed his brows, I took in the confused facial expressions, smiling.

I knew it but I wanted him to say it.
He threw the map down and stopped the car abruptly, making me to lunch forward in my seat.

"I took the wrong fucking turn," He cursed, changing the gear and turning the car around.
   "'Guess you're not always right then," I mused, taking a sip of my water bottle. Gerard only groaned, driving steadily.

After about half an hour, we stopped infront of a diner. It was evening by this time and I was starving.

The diner was pretty empty, apart from a few travellers that were scattered in booths. Gerard gestured for us to sit in a booth by the window. I looked at the menu, growing disinterested by what was on it.

It all has some form of meat on it and the only other thing they served was salad.
I groaned, placing the menu on the table.

"What's wrong?" Gerard asked, looking up from his own menu. "Everything on this menu has meat in it," I whined.

"And so?" He said, in the same monotone voice. I frowned, "And so, I'm a vegetarian, Gee,"

"But you literally had pepperoni pizza and a cheeseburger the other day," He argued and I rolled my eyes at his slight ignorance.
"There's a day, once in a year, when vegetarians are allowed to eat meat. But it's only for one day, and that does not count," I informed the older boy sitting across from me.

He only hummed, clearly unconvinced. The waiter came over, holding a notepad in his palms. He wore a lot of necklaces and had a few piercings and the black uniform and ebony hair contrasted with his extremely pale skin.

"Hoi, my name is Emerson and I'll be your waiter this evening," He said in a sing song tune. I giggled at his enthusiastic and funny approach.
He wasn't a bad sight either, if I might add.

"Frank," Gerard snapped and I just realized that I had been gawking at the white angel. A blush crept up my face as I cleared my throat. "Nice name and uh, smile, " I complimented the guy and he shot me a warm smile.

Gerard squirmed slightly, it was obvious that the whole thing was making him uncomfortable but seeing him grumpy over the small gesture was really amusing.

"Thank you, you've got a cute little smile as well," Emerson replied, dragging the words out, probably playing along.

"Can you take our orders or are you just gonna flirt with my boyfriend all day?" Gerard snapped and Emerson looked taken aback. I actually wished I could have disappeared at that moment.